I recently noticed that there is a special on the im+ skype app for blackberry and I have a few questions about it. Well to start does it work on the storm 2? It says it can make calls over wifi, can you call anyone or just another skype user and how does it all work? Is it only a one time fee or do you get charged per min using the wifi calling feature? I don't care for the im service to much just making calls over wifi. Does your phone number come up when using it? Is there any other apps for blackberry that you can use voice over wifi? Please let me know. Thank you.
    02-10-10 08:26 AM

a) Yes, it does work on the Storm2. OTA: http://wap.shapeservices.com/downloa...m/im_skype.jad

b) You can call only Skype contacts. When using VoIP, you won't be charged for the calls (must be connected to a WiFi network). Otherwise it will use up your minutes (although it can be configured to use VoIP only, just remember this requires an active WiFi connection).

c) The one time fee is normally ~30 USD, but in today's sale you can have it for ~15 USD.

d) Your number won't come up when calling, it is the Skype username that'll be seen by the other person (since they need to be using Skype too).

e) Currently as far as I know there are no other VoIP applications that can utilize WiFi only.

Hope this helps.
    02-10-10 09:15 AM
    what is that Skype in / out stuff?

i really don't understand it. If i get the app, and i'm on my home wifi, can I get calls through the wifi?

and do u really have to use that push to talk ****?
    02-10-10 09:40 AM
    So if I have wifi I can call anyone but I will use my minutes?
    02-10-10 09:47 AM
    To both of you, yes if you have WiFi (and are connected to a WiFi network) and have the IM+ for Skype application (and configure it to use VoIP only) then you can make free calls WITHOUT using your minutes.

And yes, you need to use that push-to-talk ****.
    02-10-10 10:40 AM
    This may be a silly question, but is this just a skype app, or does it still have the functionality of the regular im+ app ie a multi im client with skype added?
    02-10-10 11:32 AM
    No, it is only for Skype. The regular IM+ also supports Skype, but chats only without voice.
    02-10-10 11:35 AM
    ok, thanks.
    02-10-10 11:51 AM
    i subscribe to the unlimited county feature with skype. would that work if i call with the im+ or does it only work from skype to skype?
    02-10-10 12:01 PM
    All call data will be routed via WiFi when configured to use VoIP.

(By the way, I'm no representative of SHAPE services or anything. I don't recommend this app and won't use it. Ever.)
    02-10-10 01:42 PM
    Can you make one of your side buttons for the ptt?
    02-10-10 03:07 PM