I've been searching through the forums and I've seen people go both ways. So would it be better to keep it off completely, or keep it on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-10 05:35 PM
    What device are you referring to? Your profile shows that you have a Tour, which does not have Wi-Fi.
    12-14-10 05:36 PM
    Depends on where you are...if your phone can use wifi for data as opposed to having to hold on to a one or two bar cellular signal then yes it will save battery, the data transfers quicker and easier. That being said, wifi on means you are using the battery to power the wifi antenna in your phone.
    12-14-10 05:39 PM
    Think it kills the battery faster but web browsing might be faster also.
    12-14-10 05:40 PM
    I find my battery life is extended when using my WiFi at work and at my house. It takes the strain off of my 3G traffic.

Note: when I am jumping in and out of WiFi zones I find my battery life decreased. It is only a constant extender when I can depend on the WiFi to be used for prolonged periods of time.

12-14-10 05:40 PM
    So wifi automatically picks up when it needs to?

12-14-10 05:47 PM

yes wifi trumps 3g
    12-14-10 05:49 PM
    So if I'm at my house and work. Most the day its prolly better to keep wifi on

Does a lower wifi signal mean slower browsing speeds? Or is a connection a connection

12-14-10 05:53 PM
    Generally wifi is better on battery life as opposed to 3G due to not having to always search for the signal. There are a lot of other factors that take part too. Even if my wifi connection only shows 1 bar I don't even really notice a difference in speed compared to full bars.
    12-14-10 06:22 PM
    So if I'm at my house and work. Most the day its prolly better to keep wifi on

Does a lower wifi signal mean slower browsing speeds? Or is a connection a connection

Cody, I googled it and got a mixed bag of answers. Some say its slower and some say its not. My 8330 doesnt have wifi, but my iPad & iTouch do. When my wifi signal is down to just 1 or 2 bars, they do tend to move slower. I would think its the same for the wifi on your bb.
    12-14-10 06:27 PM
    I used to be one of those people who never kept WiFi or GPS on because of battery concerns, but after doing just the opposite for nearly 3 months I can tell you that (for most people) it will have no affect on battery life.
    12-14-10 06:28 PM
    Generally wifi is better on battery life as opposed to 3G due to not having to always search for the signal. There are a lot of other factors that take part too. Even if my wifi connection only shows 1 bar I don't even really notice a difference in speed compared to full bars.
    I believe that if the bars are low on the Wi-Fi it will affect speed; however, it sort of depends on your environment and how much re-transmitting is taking place. If your environment isn't transmission impeding then speed degredation would be minimal and probably not noticable.
    12-14-10 06:30 PM
    I keep WiFi on 24/7 with single profile scanning disabled, I usually get over 24 hours out of my battery.

Pretty much though, you need to try it and decide if it's a good thing.

12-14-10 08:41 PM
    I usually leave mine on 24/7 but sometimes use the Q/L toggle function for wifi.
    It doesn't seem to affect my battery one way over the other.
    12-14-10 10:25 PM
    i'm a newb. what is Q/L and profile scanning
    12-14-10 10:26 PM
    I usually leave mine on 24/7 but sometimes use the Q/L toggle function for wifi.
    It doesn't seem to affect my battery one way over the other.
    Same - I've seen people swear on doing it each way but personally I've seen no difference.
    12-14-10 10:40 PM
    i'm a newb. what is Q/L and profile scanning
    Q/L is quick launch, and the most functional, all around best BB app ever. Pick it up at CB store for about $5. No BB should be without it imho. Multi functional. Just get it. You won't be sorry.
    12-14-10 11:17 PM
    I have wifi turned on all the time and can't tell a difference in battery life.
    12-15-10 01:16 AM
    I used to be one of those people who never kept WiFi or GPS on because of battery concerns, but after doing just the opposite for nearly 3 months I can tell you that (for most people) it will have no affect on battery life.
    +1 Smart man!
    Having wi-fi always on is one of the PERKS of having a great phone. Why would you NOT use it? LOL
    It amazes me that people turn off all the features to "save battery". Might as well buy an LG Dare then...lol
    12-15-10 10:07 AM
    It automatically connects if you have set up the Wifi connection before. It will not automatically connect to an open hotspot if you have never connected to it before.

I wish there was an app that would have Wifi search for hotpsots and automatically connect, even though they weren't already set up as Wifi connections on my BB. It's nice to have Wifi in a public area, but it's a hassle to search for open networks everytime I'm looking for a hotspot.

If anyone is aware of an app that does this, please post.
    12-15-10 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD