Ever since I got my z10 I've been trying to put my military ako email on to the phone and I can't figure out how to do it. With my old iphone5 it was simple it just wanted what it ended with which was @us.army.mil and the beginning part on a separate thing am in doing something wrong? Anyone have any suggestions? Please and thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 03:37 AM
    Ever since I got my z10 I've been trying to put my military ako email on to the phone and I can't figure out how to do it. With my old iphone5 it was simple it just wanted what it ended with which was @us.army.mil and the beginning part on a separate thing am in doing something wrong? Anyone have any suggestions? Please and thanks.
    No smartphone can access AKO through its email programs, including legacy Blackberry phones. The Army clamped down on that about a decade ago. You have to use either your CAC or the password nonsense on Internet Explorer. Some have managed to get other browsers to work with AKO, but it isn't easy.

When they first came out, you could access AKO through the Handspring Treo and other smartphones of the day, but not long after that the Army made it impossible.

These days, commanders and senior staff officers can access their work email through work Blackberry phones, but those are owned by the Army and set up through the S-6/G-6 types.
    04-14-13 09:19 AM
    What if you set it up as 'other' and enter the server name for the account?

You'd have to ask someone the server name of course.

Posted via Navi's CB10
    04-14-13 10:25 AM
    Not a chance. This has been beaten to death in the AKO forums - it's a rotting horse. 2008 or so was around the last time work-arounds were successful.
    04-14-13 11:40 AM
    I'm just wondering how I got it to work on the iphone I had for a month, maybe a glitch?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 12:00 PM
    When did you have it working on the iPhone? Last reports I had of that working was around when iPhone 1 was introduced years ago.

Here is what I've seen regarding getting AKO on an iPhone, and it requires a CAC reader.

Edit: I stand corrected - Can set up AKO on legacy Blackberry phones. Apparently the Army loosed some of its restrictions. That said, while it'll work for retirees like me, most active duty Soldiers are being transferred to Enterprise Email, and don't know if you can set that up through legacy Blackberry phones or not.

Several current AKO webmail capabilities will disappear with DEE because of security vulnerabilities. Users will find:

-- No access via Outlook (and the AKO Outlook connector) using a non-government computer.

-- No access using IMAP/POP protocols from a commercial email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird. Those clients do not support the mandated CAC PKI certificate authentication requirement.

-- No access from personal mobile devices, since they typically require either IMAP or POP protocols.
    Last edited by jegs2; 04-14-13 at 12:58 PM.
    Balti43 likes this.
    04-14-13 12:14 PM
    When did you have it working on the iPhone? Last reports I had of that working was around when iPhone 1 was introduced years ago.

Here is what I've seen regarding getting AKO on an iPhone, and it requires a CAC reader.

Edit: I stand corrected - Can set up AKO on legacy Blackberry phones. Apparently the Army loosed some of its restrictions. That said, while it'll work for retirees like me, most active duty Soldiers are being transferred to Enterprise Email, and don't know if you can set that up through legacy Blackberry phones or not.
    it was on the iPhone 5 in ferbruary
    04-14-13 01:13 PM
    it was on the iPhone 5 in ferbruary
    Interesting. Since I can get AKO on my 9930, it makes sense you could have done the same for your iPhone in February. It's a shame the newer Blackberry phones don't have the "plug and play" email system of the older versions. Seems somewhat a downgrade IMO.
    04-14-13 07:13 PM
    Can you auto forward to gmail?
    04-17-13 10:26 AM
    Unless they've changed their practices recently, no you can't forward AKO messages to a civilian service like that. Years ago, the option was available.
    04-17-13 02:52 PM
    Can you auto forward to gmail?
    Not a chance in hell. The government has very strict rules about forwarding government email to non-government addresses. DoD is even tighter on it than the civilian side so unless you want to risk hellfire and doom, it shouldn't even be tried.

Overall, for getting the account to work you may need to see if ActiveSync needs to be enabled on your overall .mil account. I know for a lot of .gov users, ActiveSync isn't enabled by default...
    04-17-13 03:13 PM