I've sold my Galaxy Nexus, and I am temporarily using my old BlackBerry Curve 8530 while I try to decide my next move as far as a smartphone purchase.

I own a BlackBerry PlayBook, use it every day, and I enjoy using the Bridge functionality. I've been set on getting a Q10, and if I did so, it would probably be through T-Mobile as they require the least $ up front, and still have cheaper plans even after paying an extra $20 towards paying off the phone.

But a big concern is cost. I've got some long-term financial goals, and a few hundred dollars can really make a difference.

Over 2 years, I figure I will end up paying about $2,150 for the Q10 + service if I go with the T-Mobile option. (Verizon and AT&T are much more expensive and while I would especially love to be able to use Verizon's network, I can't justify the cost.)

By contrast, I would have paid a grand total of about $1,680 for phone + service over 2 years if I had kept my factory unlocked Galaxy Nexus another year on Straight Talk.

I think I would really, REALLY enjoy the Q10, but being a frugal tech geek, I'm always looking for the absolute best bang for my buck.

Yesterday, I found out that T-Mobile just started selling a low-end Windows Phone 8 device - the Nokia Lumia 521. It obviously can't compete with the Q10 or Z10 in terms of hardware, but you do get quite a bit for the price, and WP8 looks intriguing. You can buy the 521 outright for only $150 from T-Mobile, or $130 from Walmart or BestBuy. I've never tried the WP8 platform before, and this might be just the thing for me to try it out and decide whether it's for me or not.

If I went with the Lumia 521, it would cost me a total of $1,690 over 2 years for the phone + service through T-Mobile - only $10 more than I would have paid if I had kept my Galaxy Nexus another year. I likely won't keep the 521 for 2 years, but calculating the figures out that way helps me see that I'd be at an overall price point I know I'm comfortable with.

Of course, I'd then lose my physical keyboard (although I survived without one with my Galaxy Nexus) and Bridge functionality with my PlayBook.

I guess I really need to just make a Pros & Cons list and hash out which scenario would provide me the most value for my money based on my wants/needs.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!!
    06-05-13 12:50 PM
    Not much to comment on. If you have to make a decision based on your financial situation no one can comment on that. It's entirely up to you.

When weighing a purchase though, you have to consider function. A cheaper widget isn't really a better deal if it doesn't do all the widget things you need it to. If you are a heavy user of your mobile device and are concerned that the WP8 won't do all you want it to, then find a way to get a Q10 at a price you are comfortable with. Or wait until you can afford it. Save up for it.

This is especially true with things that come with strings attached like contracts. Nothing worse than getting locked into something you don't like.

"Buy cheap, buy twice."
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-05-13 01:20 PM
    If you like coloured squares taking up the whole screen WP is for you. I have a playbook and love the feel of the Z10. But I love keyboards... Anyways your phone is what you will have to live with daily!

so even if it costs abit more its really one of your most used posessions. Just like shoes. You can buy cheap and it might work but normally the quality and longevity isnt there.
    06-05-13 08:34 PM
    I have z10 and wish i had the q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 08:51 PM
    I am glad I don't have financial issues.

Thanks Mom & Dad for teaching me how to save money

BlackBerry Z10- I use it for a phone and a computer
    06-05-13 08:58 PM
    If you like coloured squares taking up the whole screen WP is for you.
    Or BB10 with its active frames .

OP, for the best bang for your buck, I would consider:

a) Buying a Nexus 4 from the Google Play store. It's cheaper than buying it from T-Mobile directly, and is hands down the best device you can get for little money. If you don't depend much on memory card storage (using cloud storage and streaming services) an 8gb Nexus 4 will only set you back $299.

b) buying a secondhand Z10. You can already find used Z10's for around $400-450. That's a GREAT deal for this phone. Plus, even a brand new Z10 is only $531 from T-Mobile which definitely made my wallet happy on Z10 launch day.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" is quite true, especially when talking electronics. But those two are really diamonds in the rough.
    06-05-13 09:47 PM
    I own a Lumia 521. For the price, it can't be beat. No regrets with that purchase at all. My other phones include a Nexus 4, HTC Droid DNA, Dev Alpha C and a LEZ10. My Nexus 4 is my go to phone. It is the best phone on the market in its price range in my opinion. The DAC is my secondary phone. It is used mostly for email. I don't use my Z10 any more, it spends the vast majority of its time in the box. The Z10 is kinda meh in my opinion. Not impressed with it at all. Battery life is too short, the big screen is a waste when there are no apps and it just doesn't excite me as much as other full touch devices.

I use my Lumia more than the Z10, and at such a cheap price, I highly recommend it. The screen isn't huge, but it looks nice and WP8 has a slightly better selection of apps compared to BB10 at the moment. Can't go wrong for $129
    Last edited by Saiga; 06-05-13 at 10:00 PM.
    06-05-13 09:47 PM
    I am glad I don't have financial issues.

Thanks Mom & Dad for teaching me how to save money

I didn't say I had "financial issues" or problems saving money. I have zero debt and could pay for a Q10 in cash right now if I wanted to. But as much as I want a good smartphone, there are other things I want more that I'm saving for. It's about priorities.
    06-05-13 10:07 PM
    Or BB10 with its active frames .

OP, for the best bang for your buck, I would consider:

a) Buying a Nexus 4 from the Google Play store. It's cheaper than buying it from T-Mobile directly, and is hands down the best device you can get for little money. If you don't depend much on memory card storage (using cloud storage and streaming services) an 8gb Nexus 4 will only set you back $299.

b) buying a secondhand Z10. You can already find used Z10's for around $400-450. That's a GREAT deal for this phone. Plus, even a brand new Z10 is only $531 from T-Mobile which definitely made my wallet happy on Z10 launch day.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" is quite true, especially when talking electronics. But those two are really diamonds in the rough.
    I'm over Android, so the Nexus 4 is out.

And I'm sure the Z10 is amazing, but at that price I might as well get a Q10. I am perfectly fine with paying more for quality when the situation warrants it. I guess I just need to decide whether this is one such situation.
    06-05-13 10:13 PM
    Since you mentioned bridge functionality, I have read many good things about the 9810... I didn't have one of these phones but seems like previous and current owners just say good things about that one... Could be a little bulky and of course, no BB10 on that one, but since you're familiar with BBOs could be a good option
    06-05-13 10:15 PM
    Since you mentioned bridge functionality, I have read many good things about the 9810... I didn't have one of these phones but seems like previous and current owners just say good things about that one... Could be a little bulky and of course, no BB10 on that one, but since you're familiar with BBOs could be a good option
    I've actually given that some thought - picking up a legacy BB device that would still be a big improvement over my Curve 8530. I decided that it's more important for me to be on a platform that will be strongly supported for the next few years, and that will attract the attention of quality app developers. BBOS 7 is great, but it's old and at its end of life. I want something newer and more robust.
    06-05-13 10:24 PM
    I've actually given that some thought - picking up a legacy BB device that would still be a big improvement over my Curve 8530. I decided that it's more important for me to be on a platform that will be strongly supported for the next few years, and that will attract the attention of quality app developers. BBOS 7 is great, but it's old and at its end of life. I want something newer and more robust.
    Yes, I understand... This is why I decided to wait a bit to buy a new phone because I have the tendency to use my phones many years... I haven't bought the z10 because I knew a better one was coming out just few months later, aristo... So to me doesn't make sense to change a phone less than a year later... I do agree with someone that earlier said that when you buy something cheap you are taking the risk that you end up with something that you don't like and/or is built with poor materials, limited functionality... So check the market very well and try them all out
    06-05-13 10:39 PM
    I don't think apps will be an issue in a few months. Many developers, such as myself, is going through second iteration to greatly improve the quality of the apps.

The development phase is picking up quickly, now that we have a deep understanding of the system.
    06-05-13 10:44 PM
    Excuse my math, but over 2 yrs, isn't that like 65 cents a day, less than the price of a coffee. I'd give up the coffee and go with your heart
    06-05-13 10:59 PM
    Excuse my math, but over 2 yrs, isn't that like 65 cents a day, less than the price of a coffee. I'd give up the coffee and go with your heart
    I don't drink coffee.
    06-05-13 11:03 PM
    Hey OP

When deciding between the inexpensive windows phone or the Z10 or Q10 you can't really just look at the dollar figure. Well I guess what I'm trying to say is try and quantify everything to make a better decision.
    Most likely you will be faster at typing out messages on the blackberry and this will save you time. Might not seem like much each time but, spread out over a course of two years it could add up to a few hours.

Also the experience. The windows phone will be laggy and slow (not because it's windows, because of hardware) compared to the Z10.

So think about it carefully and the final decision is up to you. But of it were up to me, I think BB10 justifies the added cost, of roughly 60cents a day extra very well

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 11:51 PM
    The windows phone will be laggy and slow (not because it's windows, because of hardware) compared to the Z10.
    Do you know that for a fact?

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 12:58 AM
    Do you know that for a fact?

Posted via CB10
    Compared to the Z10 yes, similar to how a Galaxy ace is slow and laggy to an S4. In reality are they slow? No but compared to the flagship they are.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 01:00 AM
    Hey OP

When deciding between the inexpensive windows phone or the Z10 or Q10 you can't really just look at the dollar figure. Well I guess what I'm trying to say is try and quantify everything to make a better decision.
    Most likely you will be faster at typing out messages on the blackberry and this will save you time. Might not seem like much each time but, spread out over a course of two years it could add up to a few hours.

Also the experience. The windows phone will be laggy and slow (not because it's windows, because of hardware) compared to the Z10.

So think about it carefully and the final decision is up to you. But of it were up to me, I think BB10 justifies the added cost, of roughly 60cents a day extra very well.

Posted via CB10
    Wtf this that a joke? That is f*** bull . WP is smooth as butter. I have the lumia 521 and its fast for its price. It's run so well. There's no lag in it. For the price of $130 theres no doubt that is the best budget phone on the market. you really need to Stop telling the OP stuff that are wrong.

I recommend you checking the review for the 521 on other sites.

OP if you are price sensitive then the lumia 521 is the way to go with their exclusive apps and games like halo. For keyboard q10

Sent using my z10
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 06-06-13 at 01:25 AM.
    06-06-13 01:12 AM
    Wtf this that a joke? That is f*** bull . WP is smooth as butter. I have the lumia 521 and its fast for its price. It's run so well. There's no lag in it. For the price of $130 theres no doubt that is the best budget phone on the market. you really need to Stop telling the OP stuff that are wrong.

I recommend you checking the review for the 521 on other sites.

OP if you are price sensitive then the lumia 521 is the way to go with their exclusive apps and games like halo. For keyboard q10

Sent using my z10
    Read my comment above. I apologize as its obscure what I was trying to say.

In reality is the lumia 521 slow? No, absolutely not. But compared to the Z10 it will be, and the OP has to decide if the extra speed warrants the price. I was saying in comparison to the flagships it will be slow, but it will be much cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 02:19 AM
    I've sold my Galaxy Nexus, and I am temporarily using my old BlackBerry Curve 8530 while I try to decide my next move as far as a smartphone purchase.

I own a BlackBerry PlayBook, use it every day, and I enjoy using the Bridge functionality. I've been set on getting a Q10, and if I did so, it would probably be through T-Mobile as they require the least $ up front, and still have cheaper plans even after paying an extra $20 towards paying off the phone.

But a big concern is cost. I've got some long-term financial goals, and a few hundred dollars can really make a difference.

Over 2 years, I figure I will end up paying about $2,150 for the Q10 + service if I go with the T-Mobile option. (Verizon and AT&T are much more expensive and while I would especially love to be able to use Verizon's network, I can't justify the cost.)

By contrast, I would have paid a grand total of about $1,680 for phone + service over 2 years if I had kept my factory unlocked Galaxy Nexus another year on Straight Talk.

I think I would really, REALLY enjoy the Q10, but being a frugal tech geek, I'm always looking for the absolute best bang for my buck.

Yesterday, I found out that T-Mobile just started selling a low-end Windows Phone 8 device - the Nokia Lumia 521. It obviously can't compete with the Q10 or Z10 in terms of hardware, but you do get quite a bit for the price, and WP8 looks intriguing. You can buy the 521 outright for only $150 from T-Mobile, or $130 from Walmart or BestBuy. I've never tried the WP8 platform before, and this might be just the thing for me to try it out and decide whether it's for me or not.

If I went with the Lumia 521, it would cost me a total of $1,690 over 2 years for the phone + service through T-Mobile - only $10 more than I would have paid if I had kept my Galaxy Nexus another year. I likely won't keep the 521 for 2 years, but calculating the figures out that way helps me see that I'd be at an overall price point I know I'm comfortable with.

Of course, I'd then lose my physical keyboard (although I survived without one with my Galaxy Nexus) and Bridge functionality with my PlayBook.

I guess I really need to just make a Pros & Cons list and hash out which scenario would provide me the most value for my money based on my wants/needs.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!!
    I'd say have a look at the newer but still cheap Curve 9310 and keep using your existing setup with the PlayBook. BB10 no longer has the full bridge, it's really just a thetering app on and I don't think the full bridge will ever come back.

Legacy BB+PlayBook setup is hard to beat: I have the phone on the dashboard driving and kids watch videos in the back, all coming out of the same data plan.
    06-06-13 03:04 AM
    I didn't say I had "financial issues" or problems saving money. I have zero debt and could pay for a Q10 in cash right now if I wanted to. But as much as I want a good smartphone, there are other things I want more that I'm saving for. It's about priorities.
    Life is short buy yourself one of the new blackberries ( if that is what you really want) you will use the thing everyday and it would be well spent money. I am glad to hear you have your finances in order.

shellnsean likes this.
    06-06-13 05:08 AM
    Life is short buy yourself one of the new blackberries ( if that is what you really want) you will use the thing everyday and it would be well spent money. I am glad to hear you have your finances in order.

I'll have to second this. Life is short!
    It's not a huge splurge difference, nor are you looking to buy multiple ones or outfitting twins or a family with phones.
    But of course, only you know your financial situation.
    Best of luck!
    Maybe you could play around with a friend's Windows Phone and see how well you like it?

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 05:57 AM
    You only live once. Get a BB10 phone.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    SK122387 likes this.
    06-06-13 06:15 AM
    Why not try to get a Q5 then?

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 07:04 AM
53 123