Seems a bunch of you are missing the point. The OP is being heckled, not for having a BlackBerry, but for bragging about it.
    So are you saying that if he had written "iPhone" instead of "BlackBerry", he still would have been heckled because he was "bragging" about what kind of phone he prefers?

 BlackBerry Q10
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    05-08-18 06:48 PM
    Verizon just says sent from my BlackBerry smartphone on the Verizon network unless you change it
    05-08-18 09:49 PM
    What towngirl said was

I could find no such quote from President Obama about needing a BlackBerry for security in any article. That is the only thing about which I am asking for a source.
    You will not find one, at least not one that is accurate. He did not use BlackBerry security, he used the NSA's security. His phone was hand built by the NSA and used NSA security. This is not secret knowledge this has been talked about and written about in the press and tech journals.

Back when he became President he talked about how the NSA took away his BlackBerry and gave him a phone built by the NSA. The only thing BlackBerry about his NSA phone was the case.
    05-08-18 09:53 PM
    You will not find one, at least not one that is accurate.
    Which was exactly my point.
    05-09-18 07:23 AM
    OK, so yes, he did keep BB but yes NSA made it secure. So yes, that makes your point. It wasn't BB that made it secure.

05-09-18 07:30 AM
    OK, so yes, he did keep BB but yes NSA made it secure. So yes, that makes your point. It wasn't BB that made it secure.

They probably just shut off certain features to make it even more secure.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-09-18 04:54 PM

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    ...and inserted a plug into the headphone jack.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-09-18 04:54 PM

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    No, you can actually read an interview given by NSA employee who built the phone. They did not modify his old BlackBerry they took it away and replaced it with a special hand built phone. The phone only worked through NSA servers. Later on President Obama wanted a phone with more features. The first phone was replaced by a modified Samsung phone.

Anyone who works around the US Government and follows security guidelines to bid on contracts has read about President Obama's phone in plenty of publications. Anyway I am done here, as I said Google for details on his phone. If you can only get your info from videos you miss a lot.
    05-10-18 01:09 AM
    No, you can actually read an interview given by NSA employee who built the phone. They did not modify his old BlackBerry they took it away and replaced it....
    Sounds like you know what you are talking about. To be honest, I did not follow the Obama BlackBerry thing at all. I do know however that organizations often simply adjust Blackberries features a bit in an attempt to make situations even more secure (or more accurately I guess, in an attempt to further reduce their assessment of risks).

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-10-18 06:23 AM
    Sounds like you know what you are talking about. To be honest, I did not follow the Obama BlackBerry thing at all. I do know however that organizations often simply adjust Blackberries features a bit in an attempt to make situations even more secure (or more accurately I guess, in an attempt to further reduce their assessment of risks).

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Very true a key reason many companies use MDM systems to control security on their corporate devices.
    05-10-18 04:43 PM
    My co-workers are awesome and we play jokes on each other all the time. We have frosted-glass doors on our offices, so when we're going to be out-of-office we often write a message on the door in dry-erase and include our mobile number. When I do this I always make sure to prefix my mobile number with "BlackBerry:" instead of "Mobile:" or "Cell:".

I've been away for a few days and when I came back someone had put an arrow beside "BlackBerry:" with the comment: "Really?"

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for a clever meme or comeback that I could respond with? I'm okay with it being self-deprecating too...

Possibly relevant: I'm currently enjoying using the KeyOne.

Attachment 435504
    Sometimes :the best response is no response at all.

Fly the BB flag with pride you daredevil you!

Send from my Blackberry Passport somewhere in space.
    05-11-18 07:29 AM
    Very true a key reason many companies use MDM systems to control security on their corporate devices.
    That's where BlackBerry excelled.. is they provided MDM tools for the deployment and management of their devices, long before anyone else.

But it's a different world today....
    05-11-18 08:54 AM
    ignore and carry on with life??
    MikeX74 and elfabio80 like this.
    05-11-18 08:57 AM
    Consider the source and ignore it.

Q10 Powered
    05-11-18 12:15 PM
    Well, that apparently didn't make them run out and buy BB10 devices back when it actually mattered. They'll still run to the Apple or Samsung store.
    No one knew BB10 or BB10 devices existed except the people that post here.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-18 03:05 PM
    No one knew BB10 or BB10 devices existed except the people that post here.

Posted via CB10
    If you go back and read the analyst reports from the Z10 release you’ll see the problem wasn’t marketing but lack of sales. Consumers were flocking to stores for the device but didn’t purchase since the device lacked the popular Android/IOS ecosystem of apps. Many purchased the Z10 and later the Q10 and quickly returned the device. Consumers expected an improved BBOS type device and ecosystem or they expected Android/IOS. Due to consumers rejecting device in large numbers, BlackBerry stopped wasting quickly burning cash on marketing a product the masses simply didn’t want.

At some point, revisionist history is not possible with all the hard data. I’d tell you to do a Google search but I know you probably would prefer Bing. This isn’t about the better product, it was simply giving the consumer what they wanted not what someone thinks is better for them.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 05-12-18 at 07:37 PM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-12-18 07:18 PM
    If you go back and read the analyst reports from the Z10 release you’ll see the problem wasn’t marketing but lack of sales. Consumers were flocking to stores for the device but didn’t purchase since the device lacked the popular Android/IOS ecosystem of apps. Many purchased the Z10 and later the Q10 and quickly returned the device. Consumers expected an improved BBOS type device and ecosystem or they expected Android/IOS. Due to consumers rejecting device in large numbers, BlackBerry stopped wasting quickly burning cash on marketing a product the masses simply didn’t want.

At some point, revisionist history is not possible with all the hard data. I’d tell you to do a Google search but I know you probably would prefer Bing. This isn’t about the better product, it was simply giving the consumer what they wanted not what someone thinks is better for them.
    I didn't buy one initially because the Verizon store rep told me I shouldn't. They were too busy selling iPhones to satisfy their own commitments.

Then months later in the Verizon store I met a little tart hired by BlackBerry to try to counteract Verizon's staff in their own store and sell BB10 phones. She knew nothing about the product and took a photo with me to prove to her boss she was working.

Marketing.

The apps were not nearly so important back then -- especially for BBOS users. You can't understand that not everyone lives in your own world. The biggest issue was the OS was not finished and people were not prepared for the swiping motions.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 09:00 AM
    The apps were not nearly so important back then -- especially for BBOS users.
    Of course they were. That's why BBOS sales had been absolutely collapsing over the prior two years. As a matter of fact, almost ALL BBOS sales during that time were to the 3rd world, where data was still expensive and BIS made it affordable. BlackBerry knew full well that that was just a small window of opportunity though, as data plans were starting to come down significantly.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-16-18 09:09 AM
    Of course they were. That's why BBOS sales had been absolutely collapsing over the prior two years. As a matter of fact, almost ALL BBOS sales during that time were to the 3rd world, where data was still expensive and BIS made it affordable. BlackBerry knew full well that that was just a small window of opportunity though, as data plans were starting to come down significantly.
    You have the timing all wrong and you exaggerate. Prior two years? Months after BB10 was released BlackBerry still had tons of shelf space at Verizon in my very first world city. They were selling phones. How many BBOS models was it selling at the time?

I would bet in 2010 BlackBerry sold more BBOS devices in the First World than your Dear Leader Chen has sold Android devices in the entire world ever.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-18 12:37 PM
    You have the timing all wrong and you exaggerate. Prior two years? Months after BB10 was released BlackBerry still had tons of shelf space at Verizon in my very first world city. They were selling phones. How many BBOS models was it selling at the time?

I would bet in 2010 BlackBerry sold more BBOS devices in the First World than your Dear Leader Chen has sold Android devices in the entire world ever.

Posted via CB10
    Sigh.

BBOS sales peaked in the 4th quarter of 2010, and quickly declined after that to less than half by the end of 2012 - but most of those latter year sales were not to western countries.

Reuters:

"sales outside the U.S., Britain and Canada accounted for 68 percent of total revenue in its fourth quarter (2011)"
    Last edited by conite; 05-16-18 at 02:12 PM.
    05-16-18 01:22 PM
    Sigh.

BBOS sales peaked in the 4th quarter of 2010, and quickly declined after that to less than half by the end of 2012 - but most of those latter year sales were not to western countries.

Reuters:

"sales outside the U.S., Britain and Canada accounted for 68 percent of total revenue in its fourth quarter (2011)"
    Facts are such annoying things....

Send from my Blackberry Passport somewhere in space.
    05-16-18 09:12 PM
    I know how you feel, when the K1 came out I convinced some coworkers to get one as well... out of 7 of us who had it only two still have it and we're bugged all the time. I now actually use my Passport more often (faster and more stable for work) and everyone thinks it's cool. the only other remaining person with a K1 is trading hers in June 1st
    05-16-18 09:40 PM
    Sigh.

Reuters:

Where do I start? US, UK and Canada do not account for the entire civilized world or even the "First World."

End of 2012? You mean when management convinced the world that BlackBerry had declared bankruptcy? That is a skewed data point, isn't it?

I think my original point was that they were not completely shut out with BBOS when they launched BB10 and had something to build off of. Your observation that BBOS sales peaked in 4Q 2010 supports that.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-18 02:32 AM
    Where do I start? US, UK and Canada do not account for the entire civilized world or even the "First World."

End of 2012? You mean when management convinced the world that BlackBerry had declared bankruptcy? That is a skewed data point, isn't it?

I think my original point was that they were not completely shut out with BBOS when they launched BB10 and had something to build off of. Your observation that BBOS sales peaked in 4Q 2010 supports that.

Posted via CB10
    End of 2012 was prior to BB10 launch, and a full year before the whole "for sale" drama.

Prior to 2010, the vast majority of sales were to NA, Canada, and UK.

Your original point was that apps weren't important back then, and I rebutted by saying BBOS sales had collapsed long before BB10 came along.

"The apps were not nearly so important back then -- especially for BBOS users."
    05-17-18 05:15 AM
    I know how you feel, when the K1 came out I convinced some coworkers to get one as well... out of 7 of us who had it only two still have it and we're bugged all the time. I now actually use my Passport more often (faster and more stable for work) and everyone thinks it's cool. the only other remaining person with a K1 is trading hers in June 1st
    Why have they all ditched their K1?
    05-18-18 03:43 AM
131 ... 3456