I am really going crazy. I need a new phone (still using BB BOLD). I have done so much research and still not happy with the BB choices available. I have used BB for 20 years with old job. I will never buy an i....anything. I just need a phone to talk, conduct light business work and good search engines. No games. Should I wait a little longer to see what BB will offer? I bought my son a windows phone and I don't like that either. I am old school. I have been in IT/IS since 1985. I don't want gimics. I just want technology that makes sense. Can someone help me decide?
    05-05-16 07:04 PM
    When apps like Facebook and WhatsApp aren't important to you, I would go for the Passport or the Passport Silver Edition.

The os is still great, the hub excellent and the keyboard fantastic.
    I have the SE and an Android device with the Hub, Android is way more inefficient in a lot of things. ( my opinion so don't shoot me)

Posted via CB10
    05-05-16 07:11 PM
    Passport for sure

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    05-05-16 07:27 PM
    Passport is a great communications workhorse. Priv is a great Android choice if you want a physical keyboard with some BlackBerry security and special sauce. If you think that's too expensive, I would look at a Nexus 5X or wait for the upcoming BlackBerry mid-range Android devices.

Only BlackBerry (Android) and Nexus devices get the monthly security patches right away, which is why I would lean towards those two choices.
    05-05-16 07:58 PM
    I've not had the pleasure of a passport so can't comment but if you don't need the pkb the z30 is a great phone for what you want too. Loved mine. BlackBerry browser isn't the best anymore though. It still works but not for everything like it used to. Actually you might also consider the classic

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    05-05-16 08:02 PM
    Go with Classic if you need a phone to make calls, text, want a decent browser, email and a couple simple apps like anitivirus app from Amazon app store. If you need banking apps and other main stream apps I would go with the Priv. The Priv will last you a long time it's seems to be well built and it hard to kill Andriod. (I have a Classic will be switching to Priv but will be keeping Classic as a backup can use it on Wi-fi)

Posted via CB10
    05-06-16 06:29 PM
    Get a Classic. You'll be lost on a virtual keyboard after using one for so long.
    bakron1 and bh7171 like this.
    05-06-16 06:44 PM
    Based on what you have used in the past, I also think the Classic would be a good option.
    SRemillard1 likes this.
    05-06-16 06:57 PM
    I am really going crazy. I need a new phone (still using BB BOLD). I have done so much research and still not happy with the BB choices available. I have used BB for 20 years with old job. I will never buy an i....anything. I just need a phone to talk, conduct light business work and good search engines. No games. Should I wait a little longer to see what BB will offer? I bought my son a windows phone and I don't like that either. I am old school. I have been in IT/IS since 1985. I don't want gimics. I just want technology that makes sense. Can someone help me decide?
    I've been a BB user for as long as I remember. But being a VZW user with unlimited data had me with very few options. Well, only one recent option...the Priv. I decided to go to the Samsung S7 Edge and I'm very happy so far. There's pro's and con's to every device. The S7 doesn't have the Hub and the battery life isn't as good as my old Z30. Also doesn't have any wired video output like the Blackberrys do. But it shines at everything else. Camera is phenomenal and water proof. I even use it in the showers to watch my Mets games. I have mobile hotspot so I've been looking for good deals on a Passport just so I can use the Hub for my 5 business email accounts.
    05-06-16 07:03 PM
    Classic if you can�t give up the tool belt and trackpad. Q10 for a Bold-like form factor and user-replaceable battery. Either phone is excellent.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    05-06-16 09:11 PM
    The passport is just fantastic especially for email. Husband uses Classic and he's very happy with it. He could care less about apps.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    05-06-16 09:16 PM

IMO you should wait. If all you need a phone for is the short list that you mentioned then IMO it's hard to find a better phone than a Bold 9900, or as i recently discovered, a 9810.

I have owned many legacy Blackberries: a Z10, Q10, Z30 and Classic. Then I jumped to an iPhone 5s, which I tried to like. Problem is that I am self employed and have no office. I am on the go all day, so I need a phone where I can quickly multitask between email, phone and calendar, notes, while working. i was surprised to find that the iPhone did not deliver this capability. Forget multitasking, serious email and calendar has yet to arrive on the iPhone. Interestingly, most of my colleagues have iPhones, but almost none use them for email or calendar. Some have not even set up email on their devices.

I ended up returning to my Blackberry Bold, and also to my Classic occasionally. Then I bought a 9810 for nostalgia's sake, and to my surprise I am finding it the best all-round satisfying phone for my needs. I have all the apps I need and more. It keeps up with me at work, and with javascript disabled I find the browser to be quite fast and web pages very readable in landscape orientation.

I will no longer be able to use it once Whatsapp stops working, but I am hanging on until Blackberry delivers an Android phone with a keyboard, by which time the Blackberry software that we all know and love will be much better adapted to the Android platform.

Frankly, for basic use, I don't see the wisdom of purchasing a BB 10 phone, unless you can pick a used one for cheap. BB 10 OS is not as mature as the old BB OS for basic tasks, IMO. I am really satisfied with my 9810, with the Bold a close second. Gmail integration in the older BB platform is superb, the browser works acceptably well on most sites with javascript disabled and I am very happy that the following apps still work well: Gasbuddy, Whatsapp, native Facebook, Ascendo Datavault, Twitter, Ubertwitter, BB travel, and a few more.

So I will wait for Mr Chen to deliver a mid-range Android phone with a physical keyboard and some core BB software, which I am confident he will.
    ---
    Xeak

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk.
    05-06-16 10:01 PM
    IMO you should wait. If all you need a phone for is the short list that you mentioned then IMO it's hard to find a better phone than a Bold 9900, or as i recently discovered, a 9810.

I have owned many legacy Blackberries: a Z10, Q10, Z30 and Classic. Then I jumped to an iPhone 5s, which I tried to like. Problem is that I am self employed and have no office. I am on the go all day, so I need a phone where I can quickly multitask between email, phone and calendar, notes, while working. i was surprised to find that the iPhone did not deliver this capability. Forget multitasking, serious email and calendar has yet to arrive on the iPhone. Interestingly, most of my colleagues have iPhones, but almost none use them for email or calendar. Some have not even set up email on their devices.

I ended up returning to my Blackberry Bold, and also to my Classic occasionally. Then I bought a 9810 for nostalgia's sake, and to my surprise I am finding it the best all-round satisfying phone for my needs. I have all the apps I need and more. It keeps up with me at work, and with javascript disabled I find the browser to be quite fast and web pages very readable in landscape orientation.

I will no longer be able to use it once Whatsapp stops working, but I am hanging on until Blackberry delivers an Android phone with a keyboard, by which time the Blackberry software that we all know and love will be much better adapted to the Android platform.

Frankly, for basic use, I don't see the wisdom of purchasing a BB 10 phone, unless you can pick a used one for cheap. BB 10 OS is not as mature as the old BB OS for basic tasks, IMO. I am really satisfied with my 9810, with the Bold a close second. Gmail integration in the older BB platform is superb, the browser works acceptably well on most sites with javascript disabled and I am very happy that the following apps still work well: Gasbuddy, Whatsapp, native Facebook, Ascendo Datavault, Twitter, Ubertwitter, BB travel, and a few more.

So I will wait for Mr Chen to deliver a mid-range Android phone with a physical keyboard and some core BB software, which I am confident he will.
    ---
    Xeak

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk.
    You make some good points, but I must disagree that a BB10 handset is not a good option.

There is a great variety to choose from and they all function very well. I'm typing this reply, for example, on a Z10. It works extremely well and, thanks to the ingenuity of a fellow CB forum member (Cobalt), I have many Android apps working well, including several that require Google Play Services.

Same goes for my Q10 - an astonishingly great little phone that I feel is more closely the successor to the Bold 9900 than the Classic because it's closer in size and weight and has a user-replaceable battery.

I find BB10 to be a much more capable OS for my needs than iOS or Android (even with BlackBerry's apps, which I have tried).

The Hub, Peek, Flow, Active Frames, Blend, cloud storage integration with the file manager - all these things and more add up to a phenomenally productive and pleasant experience for me. I often try iOS, Android, and Windows to see if I'm missing anything and I keep coming back to BB10.
    05-06-16 10:40 PM
    Buy a Classic and be done. You will love it coming from a Bold. It was made for the likes of us. Try one and you'll dig it.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    05-06-16 10:40 PM
    I apologize if my reply was brief. It was primarily because of form factor and your prior usage notes in OP. I own the Passport. Great device just cannot use it for my daily device. (too wide) And the speed differences are not noticeable enough for me to use it over my Classic. (The toolbelt, track pad and keyboard make the Classic better for my needs) The BlackBerry Classic is just that and a underrated device in my opinion. It works exceedingly well as is. Had it launched with the Passport specs it likely would have sold in much much higher volumes.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    05-06-16 10:50 PM
    Passport!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 12:28 AM
    I would recommend a Q10 or Classic.

Q10 if you value compact size, and cheaper price. You can easily find one for under or around $100 usd on amazon.

Classic if you want a slightly larger screen, or the physical call/end keys and trackpad. But trackpad is not needed with BB10.

Other than that they are identical (battery life, volume, speed). Personally for me it's a toss-up between call/end keys and compact size. Q10 and Classic are both solid, no-nonsense phones though.

On a separate not, I would argue that BB10 is the only OS that actually gets our of your way and truly was designed for function over form. iOS would be at a distant second. Android is just a colorful widgety mess.

 C L A S S I C
    05-07-16 12:57 AM
    Choose the best device which suits your needs and wants . Passport is the best if apps is not an issue otherwise go for the priv to experience the best android experience through Blackberry .
    05-07-16 05:57 AM
    I'd get a white or black Passport with the current sales promo. It's cheaper than the Classic and so much better in every way if you want BB10. Otherwise, Priv is your only other choice if you want Android.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    Last edited by pgg101; 05-07-16 at 07:40 AM.
    05-07-16 06:05 AM
    I also think the Classic would be a good option. Better OS, better specs but similar form factor. It'll be a seamless transition.
    05-07-16 07:26 AM
    Either Z30 or BlackBerry Classic depending on your preference to keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    05-07-16 07:36 AM
    I recommend the Classic too. I owned the 9900 and the Classic will give you that gorgeous form factor with all of the benefits of OS10. The Hub is amazing. You have Blend which is a wonderful tool to have for work. The keyboard shortcuts and toolbar on the Classic makes Web browsing , calls etc more efficient. The native file manager, music player, BlackBerry Travel etc is hard to replace on an Android (I have a Priv). The Classic 's battery lasted me all day. It is a tough device and I will never give mine up. I have it as a backup. And I just love how the Classic fits in my smaller hands. Taking photos was fast and easy. Just an all around powerful utilitarian device.

Posted via my Priv
    05-07-16 08:56 AM
    Get a priv

  The little beast Q10  
    05-07-16 09:01 AM
    I just need a phone to talk, conduct light business work and good search engines.I am old school. I have been in IT/IS since 1985. I don't want gimics.
    The 70's called and left a message: "Landline phones allow you to talk and conduct business." "The Yellow Pages used to be the search engine of choice." "No gimmicks!" "No i-anything!" "Can't get any more 'old school' than that."

I'm dying here..need help in choosing new phone, anyone?-70s-called.jpg
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 05-07-16 at 09:19 AM.
    05-07-16 09:09 AM
    You make some good points, but I must disagree that a BB10 handset is not a good option.

There is a great variety to choose from and they all function very well. I'm typing this reply, for example, on a Z10. It works extremely well and, thanks to the ingenuity of a fellow CB forum member (Cobalt), I have many Android apps working well, including several that require Google Play Services.

Same goes for my Q10 - an astonishingly great little phone that I feel is more closely the successor to the Bold 9900 than the Classic because it's closer in size and weight and has a user-replaceable battery.

I find BB10 to be a much more capable OS for my needs than iOS or Android (even with BlackBerry's apps, which I have tried).

The Hub, Peek, Flow, Active Frames, Blend, cloud storage integration with the file manager - all these things and more add up to a phenomenally productive and pleasant experience for me. I often try iOS, Android, and Windows to see if I'm missing anything and I keep coming back to BB10.
    You are right about the many good features of BB OS 10. It's the best OS by far, I think. However, the OP is requiring minimal functions on his phone. With that in mind, why spend money on a new phone when he already has a very capable device for what he needs? He does not need the BB 10 powerhouse for what he will be doing. Furthermore, both BB OS & OS 10 are now obsolete, whether we like that or not. So why switch from one obsolete phone to another? That's all I'm saying. Yes the Q10 and Classic are beautiful phones and I have used them both (I still use the Classic from time to time). But does he really need them at this point? Given the overall superiority of BB 10, I still find email, calendar and phone to work quite a bit better on BB OS 7.
    05-07-16 09:35 AM
37 12