OP, tell me this, why should I pay for your app when the information is easily available to read on the world wide web in many languages trough a google search and to view on youtube.

Have you even bothered to search for sports rules and regulations on youtube? I just searched for baseball and plenty videos came up, all FREE to watch from my blackberry.

Sorry, I see this as a greedy attempt to make money out of free existing information.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You are not serious, are you? People do (and should) get compensated for gathering "free" information everyday. It's the backbone of business.

In any case, I read this to be a potential content development deal with RIM directly. I could be wrong. In any case, the iteration that was placed on the CB front page was FREE, as is the iOS port.
    10-18-11 08:29 AM
    Exactly! Long time supporter? But I also love how everyone is reluctant to read the whole thing. Gosh, we really do live in a terrible society now. We're so addicted to FB and Twitter that if the article is more than 140 characters we can't digest it. We've developed information overload fatigue or something. It's sad.
    I gotta agree with you about the society we live in and the reluctance to read such a long post. I think nowadays, there's just no time. So FB and Twitter is a good way to get your point across. Sad but true. But that's a conversation for a whole other topic.

The OP mentions an iOS app. And let's be realistic; most developers write apps for Apple first, then Android, then BB (maybe, or WM7). A quick search on the app store for baseball rule books returned a few apps. And baseball is so rooted in tradition, I think you would have a hard time introducing something like this.
    10-18-11 08:39 AM
    I read the entire post and would like compensation for the 9 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

First, my opinion of the app: Kinda lame. Very niche. 210mb!? For a mobile platform? And like was said above, all the info is freely available on the net.

Second, my opinion of your position: Let it go. Don't take it personally. Work with Apple and Android platforms. If those don't work out, close up shop. Accept failure.

Last edited by decypher44; 10-18-11 at 09:14 AM.
    NickA and dandrumma like this.
    10-18-11 09:11 AM
    For the record, Alec Saunders has already replied on twitter to Umpires Media and said 'we should talk.'
    squished18 likes this.
    10-18-11 10:04 AM
    However, I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to business projections/facts and figures, and the ones you threw out there did seem a bit off. I think if you had been on Dragon's Den/Shark Tank the response from the panel probably would have been "I'm out".

Finally, as someone mentioned, you could download a set of rules for any sport off the net anyway, save it to pdf and transfer it to your phone/PB.
    The media component seemed to be a great bonus but not really needed. a PDF would have been all that was necessary.

I think your enthusiasm was greater than the overal financial benefit not necessarily RIMs fault. Good luck! and get a programmer that knows what he/she is doing
    10-18-11 10:23 AM
    wow..

Your credibility as an ethical business partner has just gone out the window..

Given your propensity to wash dirty laundry in public i would be surprised if you got in the door anywhere again.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-18-11 12:14 PM
    This guy is a tool.
    10-18-11 01:27 PM
    Some of you are hilarious at the lengths you'll go thru to defend RIM. This guy obviously spent ALOT of time on a project..got the ol run-around from RIM (mostly due to RIM's poor hardware ala RAM/memory restrictions) and you guys just throw stones at him

Perhaps he shouldve' just posted yet another "RIM sucks" comment..
    10-18-11 01:48 PM
    A little background on this guy...

He DID in fact go on Dragon's Den with this pitch, and if I recall correctly told the Dragons that he was working with RIM.

To quote the synopsis:

Umpire�s TV by David Yorke

David came off self-assured and professional. The problem is once David got into arguments with the Dragons, the pitch just got side-tracked so quickly and all focus was lost. David walking out on his pitch was just not necessary. And the harsh language used by David in the post-pitch interview is truly unprofessional. Having seen the discussions that happened at David�s pitch, what David said was definitely uncalled for.
    Sounds like this guy likes to throw a fit when he doesn't get his money.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-18-11 01:52 PM
    ^ I was just going to post the same thing. The OP was a childish jack-*** on national TV as well. When anyone disagreed with him (the Millionaires and Billionaires) he whined and scoffed even though he was there asking for their money.
    Dragons' Den
    10-18-11 02:04 PM
    It would be better if the OP could be a little more dramatic...
    10-18-11 02:16 PM
    I respectfully disagree. Several of the replies were offered without reading the OP's post. It isn't possible to offer useful comments without reading what is supposedly being commented on.

The OP obviously felt that it was important to provide a full description of his experience with RIM in order for the situation to be understood. I appreciate him taking the time to do so. Anyone not desiring to read the entire post need not come on the thread complaining about it's length.
    The title of this thread should be "LONG, LONG, LONG story about a baseball app!"

Then I would have ignored it.

decypher44 likes this.
    10-18-11 02:30 PM
    it's not just this dev, this story has been mirrored globally for several years. there are a variety of options to choose of developers posting stories about how developing for BB is simply a giant pain compared to other platforms, and usually because of the process it takes just to get the tools, this may have improved recently, but there is considerable damage done already. here's an example: You Win, RIM! (An Open Letter To RIM's Developer Relations)
    10-18-11 02:58 PM
    Wow... any tl;dr? Joking. But thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts... most people just say they're done and leave.
    10-18-11 05:25 PM
    Sounds like this guy got a lot more attention and support from RIM than he deserved.

Additionally, from the description of his app, it doesn't look like it was RIM's hardware or software that was the problem.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-18-11 05:44 PM
    A little background on this guy...

He DID in fact go on Dragon's Den with this pitch, and if I recall correctly told the Dragons that he was working with RIM.

To quote the synopsis:

Sounds like this guy likes to throw a fit when he doesn't get his money.
    LOL
    Looks like the OP just got outted

End of story. Mods can we close this thread now? OP is obviously trying to use CrackBerry to further his own business agenda.
    10-18-11 07:01 PM
    Exactly! Long time supporter? But I also love how everyone is reluctant to read the whole thing. Gosh, we really do live in a terrible society now. We're so addicted to FB and Twitter that if the article is more than 140 characters we can't digest it. We've developed information overload fatigue or something. It's sad.
    It could also be that at 3:01 in the morning as I'm getting ready to jump in the shower to go to work there simply isn't enough time....
    10-18-11 07:26 PM
    thanks for all those taking the time to write a cogent comment.
    You mean all that agreed with you, right?

Your syntax is deplorable...and that word doesn't refer to alcohol, or tobacco.
    So is your punctuation. You did not start this post with a capital letter. Same for you name. "Hello kettle, this is Pot, you're black".

Get a life! There's more to it than following up on this site. Try it you'll find it really does exist.
    Get a life? We are not the ones here posting threads so long no one wants to read. We are not wasting our time pushing an idea that no one wants to invest in. Look, you had an idea, no one really thinks it's a money maker but you, so move on. Let it go. You sounds intelligent so think up another idea and have at it!
    10-18-11 11:37 PM
    Hmmmm. I REALLY want to say something, but I have to bite my virtual tongue. I really don't want to get hit by the ban-hammer. Maybe the mods could make an exception just this once???

10-18-11 11:52 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD