Crackberry forever.
    Last edited by David Yorke; 10-19-11 at 07:59 AM.
    10-17-11 10:01 PM
    Wow, if they do this to even half of there developers I wouldn't take a second look at them. Its been said by many that people in decision making places need to go because they are stuck in one mindset and are killing the company. My phone goes up for renewal in about a years time, if BB fortunes don't turn around i'm not willing to buy BB and get stuck with a 500 dollar phone that doesn't work cause the company isn't there anymore.
    xweb10 likes this.
    10-17-11 10:12 PM
    10-17-11 10:16 PM
    I am definitely not going to take the time to read all of that.
    Good luck with your future endeavors!
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 10-17-11 at 10:38 PM. Reason: I'm sick, and I keep coughing.
    10-17-11 10:17 PM
    I understand your heart is in this big time, I wish you well but what is it you are looking for from RIM, for them to develop your app for you? Do you have anything up and running? Hows the ios version going.
    Edit: it would seem to me that all that content is on the net already..... just saying.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 10-17-11 at 10:43 PM.
    10-17-11 10:18 PM
    I am definitely not going to take the time to read all of that, bye!
    But you took the time to post this junk....?

......if BB fortunes don't turn around i'm not willing to buy BB and get stuck with a 500 dollar phone that doesn't work cause the company isn't there anymore.
    I would most likely do the same thing, but I sure hope RIM doesn't follow Nortel....
    10-17-11 10:21 PM
    But you took the time to post this junk....?
    Yes I did.
    feldmen01 likes this.
    10-17-11 10:23 PM
    That was too much to read can we have the condensed version?
    10-17-11 10:31 PM
    Wow, this is sad. I'm glad that they did recognize the potential in your ideas and content, but I'm disappointed that after all that time, that the end result was as you described it. I think it'd be great for the PlayBook. But it sounds like the phone BB OS wasn't up to the task, and it sucks that it took all that work and effort to find that out. RIM really needs to invest in and help with developers on the QNX (BBX) OS - especially those that seek them out, when most are looking to iOS and Android.

I wish you the best of luck on your content/app, and I hope it eventually comes out for the PlayBook and it is a great success.
    10-17-11 10:36 PM
    Not sure what the heck the op is trying to sell.
    I'm thinking this should be reported as spam.
    I'm always sceptical of people who claim to be long time RIM supporters/developers/content providers, whatever... but just joined CrackBerry two days ago?
    Maybe I just need a Readers Digest version of the first post because I'm just not getting it after skimming through it, and I'm not wasting my time reading any rant that I have to scroll down to read.
    10-17-11 10:39 PM
    Sorry but I don't like baseball, and the first post is crazy long.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 10:45 PM
    To other posters: If you don't want to take the time to read the OP's post, then just ignore the thread why don't you?

To the OP: Thanks for providing an inside view of your experience with the bureaucracy of a major corporation. It must have been very frustrating to get such conflicting signals all through the process you described. As a loyal BlackBerry user, I am disappointed to hear of the internal culture you described. I hope that your experience is not truly representative of a widespread corporate philosophy at RIM.
    sjsplaty likes this.
    10-17-11 11:00 PM
    I don't get it either, or I zoned out while reading it. Why not jus create the app and submit it like everyone else?
    10-17-11 11:26 PM
    Actually, a little bit of research shows that OP is legit. Their products have been featured on CB's front page.

Sounds like a dedicated developer that RIM has run off. Not good.
    10-17-11 11:36 PM
    To other posters: If you don't want to take the time to read the OP's post, then just ignore the thread why don't you?
    The replies written are giving the OP needed feedback. That is equally important as you expressing your opinion.

10-17-11 11:42 PM
    ...Sounds like a dedicated developer that RIM has run off. Not good.
    Obviously you didn't read the op before you chimed in. That's o.k. it was a little too long for most people to read.
    Here's the part you should have read... "We are NOT app developers"

So, no. RIM has not run off a dedicated developer, regardless of what you think it sounds like.
    10-18-11 12:10 AM
    Wow, this is sad. I'm glad that they did recognize the potential in your ideas and content, but I'm disappointed that after all that time, that the end result was as you described it. I think it'd be great for the PlayBook. But it sounds like the phone BB OS wasn't up to the task, and it sucks that it took all that work and effort to find that out. RIM really needs to invest in and help with developers on the QNX (BBX) OS - especially those that seek them out, when most are looking to iOS and Android.

I wish you the best of luck on your content/app, and I hope it eventually comes out for the PlayBook and it is a great success.
    Yep... it is disappointing. It does go to show that not everyone at RIM is shortsighted.

To the OP: Thanks for providing an inside view of your experience with the bureaucracy of a major corporation. It must have been very frustrating to get such conflicting signals all through the process you described. As a loyal BlackBerry user, I am disappointed to hear of the internal culture you described. I hope that your experience is not truly representative of a widespread corporate philosophy at RIM.
    Distressing... agreed. I actually think that this type of content idea might actually have gained traction in developing markets. Change the sport, and it could have been a pretty nifty idea, if I understand how it is supposed to work.
    10-18-11 12:19 AM
    Hopefully @alecsaunders got in touch with you (saw on his twitter feed). There's a reason why Dev Relations had to be revamped. Hopefully this gets resolved soon!
    10-18-11 12:27 AM
    The replies written are giving the OP needed feedback. That is equally important as you expressing your opinion.
    I respectfully disagree. Several of the replies were offered without reading the OP's post. It isn't possible to offer useful comments without reading what is supposedly being commented on.

The OP obviously felt that it was important to provide a full description of his experience with RIM in order for the situation to be understood. I appreciate him taking the time to do so. Anyone not desiring to read the entire post need not come on the thread complaining about it's length.
    10-18-11 12:41 AM
    Bit of a long post, sorry to hear you seem to have had trouble with RIM.

However, I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to business projections/facts and figures, and the ones you threw out there did seem a bit off. I think if you had been on Dragon's Den/Shark Tank the response from the panel probably would have been "I'm out".

4m registered umpires seems awfully high. 35m registered US baseball players seems awfully high, that equates to 12% of the population. I doubt even 12% of school age kids are registered baseball players, let alone of the general population. The high school around here has about 3500 students and between 60-90 kids playing baseball. Being generous, lets say 3% of high school population play baseball. Of the overall population....lower.

I'd say there were probably no more than 2m active umpires, absolute tops. Still, for arguments sake, you say 4m, I say 2m, let's go with 3m umpires. One thing I'm not sure you took into account was the proportion of blackberry devices in the US. RIM has around 9% of the market share. So 9% of the 3m umpires is 270,000 potential customers for you there. Let's be generous again and say a quarter of them will purchase the app, that comes out at about 68,000 * $9.95 = $670k. You estimated $2m in sales in just 6 months, I say at most a third of that amount in total.

Yes it's still a reasonable amount for a small developer, but when you talk to RIM execs and tell them you predict $2m in 6 months, and they sit and run figures themselves like I did and find you've probably overstated revenue by upwards of 300%, you lose credibility.

Branching out into other sports, I don't really see how that would dramatically alter things. Apart from American Football, I can't think of many other sports where you need a long complicated rule book that needs constant referring to. Your Toronto Star business writer mentioned Football in Europe....I can tell you now, don't bother with that. No rule book is needed. That's the beauty of the game, it's simple. Rugby, nah, not really, besides, the game play is far too quick to have stoppages while a ref pulls out his phone and looks up a rule. Same with basketball and hockey.

Finally, as someone mentioned, you could download a set of rules for any sport off the net anyway, save it to pdf and transfer it to your phone/PB.

If I'm missing something major here, I apologise, but after thinking about this, I can't blame RIM for their lack of enthusiasm. What you had was/is a very niche product, that with all that is going on at RIM, probably shouldn't deserve a whole lot of their time/effort/money if I'm being honest.
    elle-ade likes this.
    10-18-11 12:44 AM
    OP - wow, really....I think this crazy long post would have done well in print as an op ed, but on a forum you're doing yourself a disservice.

An abridged version would have been best.

From a quick scan, I'm gleaning that it might have been interesting, but seriously...too long. Didn't read. Sorry.
    10-18-11 02:01 AM
    Thanks to the OP for all the detail. While the OP is obviously disappointed with how things have turned out so far with respect to their business opportunity, I see the description of events as actually reflecting very positively on RIM's part.

As other posters have noted, this opportunity was perceived as significant to the OP but to RIM the opportunity is actually quite small in and of itself. The fact that top-level RIM executives took the time to interact directly with the OP speaks volumes about the dedication that RIM has to the developer community. It also speaks to the high value with which RIM considers their developers.

Let's consider the fact that RIM currently generates about $4 BILLION in revenue per quarter. This opportunity is realistically worth about $50,000 in revenue per year over five years. Yet RIM executives took valuable time to respond and interact with the OP.

Sorry that the platform hasn't been able to support the OP's ambitions yet. Yes, iOS has the ability to support multimedia functions much better than the BBOS. However, PlayBook sounds like exactly the right kind of platform for this type of app. I've downloaded 200MB games onto my PB and they work beautifully.

I would encourage the OP to not give up just yet. The QNX platform has shown already that it can support this exact type of app. The potential BlackBerry customers would be grateful for your hard work (and I hear they tend to pay the most for apps in general).

rjshahan likes this.
    10-18-11 04:16 AM
    Not sure what the heck the op is trying to sell.
    I'm thinking this should be reported as spam.
    I'm always sceptical of people who claim to be long time RIM supporters/developers/content providers, whatever... but just joined CrackBerry two days ago?
    Maybe I just need a Readers Digest version of the first post because I'm just not getting it after skimming through it, and I'm not wasting my time reading any rant that I have to scroll down to read.
    Exactly! Long time supporter? But I also love how everyone is reluctant to read the whole thing. Gosh, we really do live in a terrible society now. We're so addicted to FB and Twitter that if the article is more than 140 characters we can't digest it. We've developed information overload fatigue or something. It's sad.
    10-18-11 06:32 AM
    Well I read the complete original post by the OP. As an avid, dedicated, devoted baseball maven, I can say that the game idea is intriguing for the Baseball rulebook. Kind of like a trivial pursuit for baseball. There have been a number of books done with real life situations where you, the reader make the call. Those books do not sell well, but maybe in a mobile format it would. It sounds like the OP just needs to fund the app development and submit it for approval. If it sells, then congratulations are in order.

I am with aft1981 on this to a degree. Unless you can come up with a great game idea, the general population may not be attracted, and the targeted umpires and baseball nuts may be too small an audience.
    10-18-11 07:05 AM
    OP, tell me this, why should I pay for your app when the information is easily available to read on the world wide web in many languages trough a google search and to view on youtube.

Have you even bothered to search for sports rules and regulations on youtube? I just searched for baseball and plenty videos came up, all FREE to watch from my blackberry.

Sorry, I see this as a greedy attempt to make money out of free existing information.

10-18-11 07:08 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD