Just to make it clear, first and foremost, I appreciate all the hard work that goes into keeping this site up and running, especially since the good ol' days of BlackBerry are over, and there really isn't THAT much exciting stuff happening in the mobile department.

My disappointment is in the articles and reporting that we're not getting. I've been coming to this site for a looooong time, and have appreciated the very honest "hard hitting" reporting. Now it seems like all I read about are the same things I could just read in a press release from BlackBerry's website. Where are the opinion pieces, financial report analyses (LOVED Chris' breakdown of the numbers), and answers to the questions we all have? Why am I translating German articles from Blackberrybase.net so I can get some insight on the future of Blackberry phones? Were there any CrackBerry reps sent to IFA to find out what's going on? I ask that last question honestly - not with any implications.

I get that there needs to be some integrity in journalism and you can't just report every rumor, but historically, CrackBerry did a GREAT job of saying "this is what we've heard or confirmed, stay tuned for more...". I thoroughly miss that. It's a good thing that there are members in the forum who are still dedicated to finding out what they can and sharing it with the community.
    09-10-19 06:34 PM
    Just to make it clear, first and foremost, I appreciate all the hard work that goes into keeping this site up and running, especially since the good ol' days of BlackBerry are over, and there really isn't THAT much exciting stuff happening in the mobile department.

My disappointment is in the articles and reporting that we're not getting. I've been coming to this site for a looooong time, and have appreciated the very honest "hard hitting" reporting. Now it seems like all I read about are the same things I could just read in a press release from BlackBerry's website. Where are the opinion pieces, financial report analyses (LOVED Chris' breakdown of the numbers), and answers to the questions we all have? Why am I translating German articles from Blackberrybase.net so I can get some insight on the future of Blackberry phones? Were there any CrackBerry reps sent to IFA to find out what's going on? I ask that last question honestly - not with any implications.

I get that there needs to be some integrity in journalism and you can't just report every rumor, but historically, CrackBerry did a GREAT job of saying "this is what we've heard or confirmed, stay tuned for more...". I thoroughly miss that. It's a good thing that there are members in the forum who are still dedicated to finding out what they can and sharing it with the community.
    Are you speaking specifically of smartphones?

If so, there isn't exactly a wealth of information to share.

Either TCL and BlackBerry settle their dispute or they don't.

If they don't, we all know what that means - no patches, updates, or devices.

If they do settle, either one, two, or three of those things will be reinstated.

Beyond that, it's wild speculation or the breaking of NDAs.

On another note, TCL does not publish specific financials related to BBMo, so there is nothing to analyse. Nor does BlackBerry Limited break down licencing revenue.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    09-10-19 06:49 PM
    There’s just nothing to hear anymore compared to BB 10-12 years ago when it was the go-to device unless you’re into Palm or Windows back then. Android/iOS was just starting out and crazy wild.

Even 5-6 years later BBOS and BB10 were stoking hopes of a BB resurgence at some point, realistic or not. Three years ago, BB exited hardware and three licensees are down to one so it seems.

Asking questions that have already been asked with opaque answers that are still opaque as repeated doesn’t change whatever is going to happen. This is like everyone demanding more BB10 answers regarding EOL date and BBOS and BIS continuation.

It’s ridiculous to expect any company to really give you any different answer than one you’ve been given. Why should anyone burn any bridges and their reputation with the other companies they still interact with via the other MONA sites?
    09-10-19 07:09 PM
    It's also worth noting that their are NO high level executives left at BlackBerry Limited or BBMo who are responsible for promoting the devices, so there's no one authorized to "leak" info to journalists in the way there used to be.

No designs +
    No new products +
    No new partnerships +
    No team to speak of =

No news

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-10-19 07:28 PM
    Are you speaking specifically of smartphones?

If so, there isn't exactly a wealth of information to share.

Either TCL and BlackBerry settle their dispute or they don't.

If they don't, we all know what that means - no patches, updates, or devices.

If they do settle, either one, two, or three of those things will be reinstated.

Beyond that, it's wild speculation or the breaking of NDAs.

On another note, TCL does not publish specific financials related to BBMo, so there is nothing to analyse. Nor does BlackBerry Limited break down licencing revenue.
    Hey conite - how goes it?

Definitely moreso on the smartphone front, yes. CrackBerry is supposed to be a source for "All the latest BlackBerry News & Rumors" ... I think there's much more to talk about than reader's are getting.

It was exciting to read about all the BlackBerry Mobile partnerships, as they were developing - where are the updates? It's been pretty much confirmed that they're going very poorly - how about an article explaining what's been going on and what we might expect? I think it's safe to say that most members are curious about the likelihood of a Key3 - how about a breakdown of what we know and what we don't know?

On the financials front, even though the mobile isn't broken out, it would still be cool to get some insights. I've been invested for a long time, and really liked the breakdown on CrackBerry. At the very least, it's something to read other than press releases and how-to's.

For a long time now, CrackBerry has turned into a community driven website and I think that's a little disappointing.
    09-10-19 07:31 PM
    well there will certainly be less news on the negative side than the positive. So dont expect much to come from the failed endeavors of BB India and such. Meanwhile we are wait and hold on the TCL partnership with nothing new other than there will be nothing new in 2019 as discussed before
    09-10-19 07:40 PM

For a long time now, CrackBerry has turned into a community driven website and I think that's a little disappointing.
    Unfortunately, more and more, it seems that's what we have left.

BB PT Merah Putih has gone out of business, Optiemus Infracom is embroiled in legal action with BlackBerry regarding licencing fees & would appear to be done with the brand, and TCL is currently negotiating a way out of having to pay BlackBerry the balance (or some portion) of what they owe (while BlackBerry appears to be holding security patches back).
    anon(10218918) and Bbnivende like this.
    09-10-19 07:41 PM
    Crackberry will share the same faith as BlackBerry hardware.
    09-10-19 07:49 PM
    Crackberry will share the same faith as BlackBerry hardware.
    Seems like you’re ok too. Need the Z06 back yet?
    09-10-19 07:50 PM
    Seems like you’re ok too. Need the Z06 back yet?
    Lol...Would be nice to driver her around again....
    09-10-19 07:52 PM
    Lol...Would be nice to driver her around again....
    I’ll let the wife know. Back to her Expedition and hauling teenagers
    09-10-19 07:54 PM
    Unfortunately, more and more, it seems that's what we have left.

BB PT Merah Putih has gone out of business, Optiemus Infracom is embroiled in legal action with BlackBerry regarding licencing fees & would appear to be done with the brand, and TCL is currently negotiating a way out of having to pay BlackBerry the balance (or some portion) of what they owe (while BlackBerry appears to be holding security patches back).
    Too bad that te security patches are held back. After all it is the BlackBerry logo on the devices and they are a security software company.
    09-10-19 08:01 PM
    So I take it that neither Louis Lane nor Clark Kent have been able to track down that Playbook/2 successor of Playbook, the BB10 Foldable smartphone with the hindsight, the z20/20 in time for 2020? Shucks its September already and due to the lack of a new bb10 device, my corn on the cob is starting to look like a BlackBerry Keyboard.
    09-10-19 08:05 PM
    Like this.....
    https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/3e5e6ac6d...cob-c8bafj.jpgI'm disappointed in Crackberry reporting.-black-corn-cob-c8bafj.jpg
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 09-10-19 at 08:59 PM.
    09-10-19 08:06 PM

WebOS Nation.....

I doubt reporting on QNX or BLackBerry UEM is going to attract much attention.

I promise you that if Kevin or Mobile Nations could find a way to keep CrackBerry relevant they would. But repeat stories on old hardware or software can only go so far...
    09-11-19 07:10 AM
    Too bad that te security patches are held back. After all it is the BlackBerry logo on the devices and they are a security software company.
    At this point, there’s no BB consumer business overlap with BBMo/TCT of any consequence. The money owed from BBMo is far more significant as it’s pretty much guaranteed with outlay already spent on the BB side. I’m sure BB wouldn’t really mind pushing out the patches except for it makes them look weak.
    09-11-19 09:44 AM
    At this point, there’s no BB consumer business overlap with BBMo/TCT of any consequence. The money owed from BBMo is far more significant as it’s pretty much guaranteed with outlay already spent on the BB side. I’m sure BB wouldn’t really mind pushing out the patches except for it makes them look weak.
    ....but they are already a weak company with a weak leadership....
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    09-11-19 09:46 AM
    ....but they are already a weak company with a weak leadership....
    BB has proven a strong company with strong leadership and strong institutional shareholders outside mobile hardware.

Three biggest mobile proprietary software players; Apple, Google and Microsoft are each basically $1Trillion USD companies. Three largest mobile proprietary hardware players; Apple, Google, Microsoft plus next pick three largest Android OEMs aren’t far behind.

Face reality, BB exited mobile hardware three years ago. They’ve moved on and only visit to pickup whatever licensing checks are due.
    09-11-19 09:56 AM
    WebOS Nation.....

I doubt reporting on QNX or BLackBerry UEM is going to attract much attention.

I promise you that if Kevin or Mobile Nations could find a way to keep CrackBerry relevant they would. But repeat stories on old hardware or software can only go so far...
    I went over and visited just now. It’s actually still alive. It seems to get better traffic compared to couple of CB existing competitors... LMAO
    09-11-19 10:00 AM
    I agree with @Dunt Dunt Dunt that we're rapidly approaching the webOS Nation state. If there are no new devices, editors will be re-assigned and users will drift off to sites that better reflect whatever they're currently using.

However, there was also a fundamental shift in the relationship between the site and the product over the years. The early relationship between CrackBerry and BlackBerry was somewhat adversarial, with CBK acquiring devices in creative ways, circumventing embargoes, etc. In the last few years, the relationship has been more symbiotic and it appears that in some ways, CrackBerry became a kind of advertising wing for BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile, hosting launch events, scheduling perfectly-timed promo podcasts after months or years of silence, etc.

You might expect some tough questions and hard-hitting journalism in the context of the earlier, more adversarial relationship. You're unlikely to get significantly more than press releases in the later context. But again, as people have pointed out, there's also less and less to write about.
    09-11-19 10:06 AM
    ^^^^^Agreed. It'll probably evolve into a WebOS scenario and then I will have come full circle with another mobile device fan site. Deja Vu all over again, lol.
    09-11-19 10:37 AM
    I find interesting that Android Central did cover IFA since well, you get the picture.

This isn’t critical of CrackBerry as this is just part of expense management.

https://www.androidcentral.com/ifa-2019

This also shows TCL coverage from event.

https://www.androidcentral.com/tcl-m...-and-more-come
    09-11-19 10:39 AM
    I went over and visited just now. It’s actually still alive. It seems to get better traffic compared to couple of CB existing competitors... LMAO
    Fun fact: The very first Mobile Nations site is still up as well. visorcentral.com >> the #1 community resource for Handspring's Visor
    Invictus0 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    09-11-19 11:42 AM
    Fun fact: The very first Mobile Nations site is still up as well. visorcentral.com >> the #1 community resource for Handspring's Visor
    That’s awesome. What I found interesting was that WebOS community was still commenting, posting and I could actually login and post if so desired.

I laugh because as everyone predicts the death of BB and CB, it’s the members of all the MONA sites that determine life or death of their forums. Forums in general love visitors regardless of current or not topics. Just ask the folks that use Ancestry type forums... that’s dead...
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    09-11-19 11:48 AM
    That’s awesome. What I found interesting was that WebOS community was still commenting, posting and I could actually login and post if so desired.

I laugh because as everyone predicts the death of BB and CB, it’s the members of all the MONA sites that determine life or death of their forums. Forums in general love visitors regardless of current or not topics. Just ask the folks that use Ancestry type forums... that’s dead...
    True story. If BlackBerry and everything related went away forever, I would still enjoy coming here for the community and such.
    09-11-19 11:57 AM
39 12