I'm a Blackberry user by choice and I'm a Crackberry user by choice. I've been a member here for a long time and have seen many things change. But I still come back here over and over again. I've read great advice that couldn't be found elsewhere. I've been inspired to help others with problems that I've faced and have found solutions to. I've argued with people who don't share my opinions. I've agreed and thanked those who see things as I do. These forums can become a wild place, but that's OK with me. As long as I can find information I'm looking for (which I generally can do thanks to the Advanced Search capabilities of this site), I don't mind casually reading through a few rants and troll posts every once in a while.

I'm a Blackberry user by choice too. I was thrilled to read the open letter by Thorsten today. I think that he hit the nail right on the head. I'm continually impressed by his and RIM's ability to recently make a public statement when it's really required. Some might write all of this off as spin, lies, or just posturing. But these statements are necessary and are made when they need to be made. His point is very well taken. The 'pundits' all seem to draw the same bleak conclusions for whatever reason, but often, there is more than one explanation for a given situation - and Thor is, at least, presenting a viable alternative to the explanation for RIM's recent actions. The jury is still out in terms of which stance will, in retrospect, be correct once BB10 is ready to hit the shelves.

RIM is in transition. But so is the rest of the mobile tech community. Apple and Android are in the process of reinventing based on cloud services. Microsoft is going down a similar road to RIM in terms of reinventing itself in the mobile space. And the fact of the matter is that right now is not the time to consider switching devices/platforms with so much new technology coming quickly down the road.

I am a Blackberry user by choice because I enjoy the Blackberry experience, I'm invested in the ecosystem (moreso via workflow than purchased apps), and my device provides a day-to-day experience (from battery life, keyboard, messaging, etc) that satisfies my mobile tech needs. There are devices out there that provide different experiences with some added functionality. But for my purposes, my Blackberry provides me with what I need. Others don't necessarily feel this way, but that's OK with me - that's their choice. My choice is Blackberry.

I'm very impressed and inspired by Thorsten's comments. He touched on the difficulties of integrating all of the required (and acquired) parts into a new operating system. He also insists that there is a definite goal that they are trying to reach (as opposed to just rushing some hacked look-alike OS to market). He addressed the nay-sayers by providing a more optimistic perspective on the situation than what is being commonly reported recently. In essence, he's telling us what's going on without telling us what's going on.

It's important, in this industry, to keep potential trade secrets close to the vest while trying to promote enthusiasm among those who will eventually become customers of the new technology. But it's equally important to address public sentiments or statements that can serve to adversely affect a new product launch. Unfortunately, RIM cannot provide the Crackberry community with one set of statements and the rest of the world with generic corporate statements. People complain about the statement that RIM was waiting for a specific chipset in order to release BB10. We don't know the real reasons behind the statement nor should we (for competitive advantage purposes). We don't know if it was a cover for development falling behind schedule. We don't know if it's because they were having problems with the OS and current chipset technology only to find that it extended to the recently completed LTE-based chipsets as well. We just don't know.

But what I do know is that Thorsten has recently been making communication a much higher priority with RIM than it ever seemed to be before. When he started earlier this year, he outlined a strategy to deal with a very difficult situation and, in my eyes, he seems to be executing it. He's encountering snags but seems to have a very focused view on RIM as a company, what it's financially capable of, and strategies appropriate to the situation which, if executed correctly, can result in a favorable outcome. Sure there are scenarios that point to a negative outcome which seem to be the popular scenarios to embrace. RIM might succeed or RIM might not. If they do succeed, it will be because of a focused effort to execute the transition that Thorsten continually speaks about. He has never said that the transition period will occur without experiencing pain. But RIM's actions as expressed by Thorsten's well-timed statements in the media provide a sence of consisteny that I can believe.

The mobile world will be a different place by the time BB10 surfaces. This includes all of the other players besides RIM. Each of the players will face challenges based not only on technology, but also the economy.

But all this said, I am a Blackberry user by choice. Like I said, there are devices that do other things and more things (but not all things). My needs and current workflow for a mobile communicatoins device are fit best by the Blackberry experience. A jump to a different platform would provide me with functionality that I don't have, but would also take away from me functionality that I have really grown accustomed to needing. This is why I have a tendency to jump in to some of the more heated discussions to tell of my positive experiences or viewpoints vs some of those whose opinions are not quite as optomistic.

But either way, my device still works and so do the devices of those with contrary opinions. That's great. They have found a home with their choice of new devices. My choice, at this point is still Blackberry.

And given the fact that I am a Blackberry user by chioce, I am also a Crackberry user by choice. I enjoy sharing my enthusiasm for my device and what I think RIM is capable of delivering. I also enjoy reading the views and opinions of others. I enjoy the forums, the blogs, and the podcasts. Crackberry is very addictive because Blackberry devices are, by their very nature, interesting and so are the people who enjoy and feel a need to express their opinions about them.

I, personally, am excited about the open letter and the public statements that Thorsten has been making in a very timely manner. I'm also excited about waves this will all stir within the forums here. But above all of that, I am a Blackberry user by choice and I'm a Crackberry user by choice.
    07-03-12 12:31 PM
    Lots of valid and good points here. But yes, I think a lot of us here a BlackBerry users by choice. The news of the delay, while was disappointing at the time, hasn't made me change my mind about being a BlackBerry user. It's still the platform that does it for me.
    Spencerdl and mzceetee like this.
    07-05-12 09:59 AM
    I'm here because I own a BLACKBERRY!! Where else would I be, NOT on a iphone or android website unless I was doing research on another platform, but definitely not to BASH the choice of others
    07-05-12 10:14 AM
    Let's be concise for once: AMEN, bro.
    DJ Reyes and louzer like this.
    07-05-12 10:24 AM
    Haha we do use BlackBerry by choice , yes? Was anyone forced to rock BBs against their will?
    louzer likes this.
    07-05-12 10:30 AM
    Me too....
    The Blackberry was my choice and works excellent for ME.

Crackberry is MY forum of choice, as it has taught me a lot on how to use MY Blackberry to it's fullest. And have met some very nice people along the way.

Cheers!
    pantlesspenguin and louzer like this.
    07-05-12 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD