I had my phone set to "hotspot" while in a hospital today. Could not connect to internet even though the guy beside me could via wifi. He had a different brand of phone and told me he had 3 wifi options to connect. So I know wifi was available. I changed to internet browser and connected...slowly......slowly but connected. I was so peed off to see his little twisted smirk of superiority. Especially after he asked me what I was looking for and I "had" to tell him. HE looks it up and shows me before I had made it to the first screen. He even had the the video running. SHooT dang nab it fiddle fart scnikker snacker paddy wak... How do I set my 9550 on Verizon so it will priority on wifi (if possible) and then revert to network as back up? Or how do I at least get it to locate other wifi networks other than the one at my house? My search on CB has only confused me. Thanks for your help.
    04-20-10 08:57 PM
    1) do you have the wifi enable

2) if you do what color is the icon?
    04-20-10 09:06 PM
    You could try turning the 1XEV off entirely, but I'm not sure if that's what you're going for...
    04-20-10 09:09 PM
    Nowhere in your post it said if you tried to setup a connection for wifi. You need to go to "Manage Connections" then "Setup Wifi Network" Once it's setup and you saved the connection, it will automatically connect to that wifi spot when your wifi is turned on and your in range.

Just setting your phone to Hotspot doesn't mean it will automatically connect to wifi. It needs to be setup first.
    04-20-10 09:16 PM
    1) do you have the wifi enable

2) if you do what color is the icon?
    On Manage Connections Wi-FI is checked with "apple Net..." in green with a green check to the right. Sometimes the green check is a white dash.
    04-20-10 09:24 PM
    Nowhere in your post it said if you tried to setup a connection for wifi. You need to go to "Manage Connections" then "Setup Wifi Network" Once it's setup and you saved the connection, it will automatically connect to that wifi spot when your wifi is turned on and your in range.

Just setting your phone to Hotspot doesn't mean it will automatically connect to wifi. It needs to be setup first.
    Yep, I'm set up at home. It is working right now. It was set to hotspot while I was in hospital today. What do I do to make my 9550 search for WiFi when I am in a shopping mall, coffee shop, etc. Like my laptop does...
    04-20-10 09:28 PM
    Yep, I'm set up at home. It is working right now. It was set to hotspot while I was in hospital today. What do I do to make my 9550 search for WiFi when I am in a shopping mall, coffee shop, etc. Like my laptop does...
    You don't. You need to scan for networks. Once you add it in, it will connect automatically next time.
    04-20-10 09:34 PM
    How do I scan for networks?
    04-20-10 09:37 PM
    There isn't a way for it to just randomly find wifi hotspots, and notify you. I think someone should make an app to do this. But, you need to setup a network, like you did at home, for you to connect to a network. The setup wizard does give you the chance save the new network or not though.

For example, if you would have setup and saved the hospital wifi network. Then tomorrow when you go back there your phone will automatically connect to it, like it doe sat home.
    04-20-10 09:38 PM

In your "Setup" folder there is also an icon for it too.
    04-20-10 09:39 PM
    Thank you. I finally understand.
    04-20-10 09:39 PM
    Manage connections>set up Wi-Fi network>scan for networks>add the network once it is found if a public network with no security settings.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-20-10 09:41 PM
    There isn't a way for it to just randomly find wifi hotspots, and notify you. I think someone should make an app to do this. But, you need to setup a network, like you did at home, for you to connect to a network. The setup wizard does give you the chance save the new network or not though.

For example, if you would have setup and saved the hospital wifi network. Then tomorrow when you go back there your phone will automatically connect to it, like it doe sat home.

Do I leave it set to "hotspots" or "internet browser"? Or as I have seen in some posts do I have to switch between the two depending on whether I am in the jungle or the Java Hut?
    04-20-10 09:44 PM
    you can use the hotspot once connected....even the normal browser should default to wifi if working correctly though. The hotspot is supposed to be optimized a little better but i cant say i notice a huge difference really.

And they do have wifi finder apps for other platforms but havent seen one for BB yet. I usually do a quik scan when i get somewhere if i know i will be there for a while and if not just shut wifi back off. I have an app that will shut it off if i leave my wifi at home automatically and start back up once i return.
    04-20-10 09:52 PM
    Option/Advanced Options/Browser - I have both categories set to 'Internet Browser'.
    My WiFi works great at home and at McDonald's or what. If you don't like my settings, go read howarmat's and others' threads - it's not that simple. Also: you don't want your phone to just link up with any WiFi HotSpot automatically, do you ? Doctor Neutron
    04-20-10 09:53 PM
    Option/Advanced Options/Browser - I have both categories set to 'Internet Browser'.
    My WiFi works great at home and at McDonald's or what. If you don't like my settings, go read howarmat's and others' threads - it's not that simple. Also: you don't want your phone to just link up with any WiFi HotSpot automatically, do you ? Doctor Neutron
    I use the same settings. When I go somewhere I've previously been with Wi-Fi, as soon as I enable Wi-Fi it connects fine.

04-20-10 10:02 PM
    I use the same settings. When I go somewhere I've previously been with Wi-Fi, as soon as I enable Wi-Fi it connects fine.

I will say that I am the third person who uses these settings. Very good.
    04-20-10 10:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD