On my iPhone it lets me Push with my .me email, but it only gives me the option to fetch with my gmail account.
    My gmail is pushed on iphone. I set it up as an exchange account. In fact, they're pushed faster than the blackberry does.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    03-16-12 01:48 AM
    I'm going to have to agree with you here. Back when I had the BlackBerry I liked how emails were pushed to me, but I couldn't stand having to mark messages as read or delete them on both the BlackBerry and my laptop. It was just inefficient. And then I also hated the absence of folders.

I'd say that BlackBerries handle attachments better than most other platforms and the push email is nice, but I don't see how anyone can say that BlackBerries have superior email when they can't even view folders.
    You can access gmail folders.
    03-16-12 02:27 AM
    No you don't lol, you need exchange/active sync, just imap won't do it.
    Belfast, Apple and Android license Exchange Active Sync from Microsoft, so Apple and Android users get Exchange Active Sync for free.

At my work, we have got rid of the BES computer and connect to the Exchange Server direct with iphones and Androids.

RIM had a thiefdom going with the BES computer and now companies are getting rid of BES as employees prefer iphones and Androids that can connect direct to exchange.

Now that consumers and businesses don't need BIS/BES, RIM is getting kicked to the curb. So what does RIM do? They have now made the Playbook and OS10 compatible with Microsoft Exchange Active Sync without the need of BIS/BES.

Ed Brill - CIO: BlackBerry 10 OS to Support Microsoft ActiveSync, No BES: What It Means for IT

If RIM does not pull out of this nose dive, they are done and it is all over but the crying.

One thing I don't like about Blackberries is not being able to configue IMAP accounts like this (Does RIM really have to make it so hard?)
    03-16-12 03:27 AM
    You can access gmail folders.
    Yes, and it is archaic. It is like DOS. Folders are in grayscale. You should see what folders look like on an Android or iphone. Full color. You can make the folders any color you want. And you have access to all the emails in that folder.

Folder management on my Blackberry tortures me. Does RIM really need to make it this difficult? It is like they don't have a clue. They should buy and Android and iphone and give them to their developers to play with to see what the competition is offering.

How can RIM improve their product if they have no idea what they are up against.

Well, I guess we know one of the reasons why this company has lost $63 billion in market capitalization in the last year.
    03-16-12 03:32 AM
    Belfast, Apple and Android license Exchange Active Sync from Microsoft, so Apple and Android users get Exchange Active Sync for free.

At my work, we have got rid of the BES computer and connect to the Exchange Server direct with iphones and Androids.

RIM had a thiefdom going with the BES computer and now companies are getting rid of BES as employees prefer iphones and Androids that can connect direct to exchange.

Now that consumers and businesses don't need BIS/BES, RIM is getting kicked to the curb. So what does RIM do? They have now made the Playbook and OS10 compatible with Microsoft Exchange Active Sync without the need of BIS/BES.

Ed Brill - CIO: BlackBerry 10 OS to Support Microsoft ActiveSync, No BES: What It Means for IT

If RIM does not pull out of this nose dive, they are done and it is all over but the crying.

One thing I don't like about Blackberries is not being able to configue IMAP accounts like this (Does RIM really have to make it so hard?)
    Dude sorry but you don't have a clue, iphone and android do support exchange but the email provider has to have it in the first place. When you host and email account you get pop3 or imap or imap idle, depending on the provider, and exchange comes as extra monthly fee, some even charge for imap support.

You can set up an exchange email on your android but if the email provider doesn't have it added to your account that exchange set up is useless.

Without exchange you have no push email on your android or iphone.

A simple pop3 set up is push on a BB and a imap set up is instant push.

Your work pays for exchange. It's not free.
    03-16-12 03:57 AM
    PS- if RIM are dead or dying why are you wasting so much of your time here? Are you one of those people that like to kick somebody when they're down and maybe on them too? That says a lot to me.

You could direct your energy to far better causes.

I like Rim and I support them. Existing Blackberrys suit my needs perfectly.

If Rim was making HUGE profits I would like them less or not at all, it would make me feel like I was ripped off.
    03-16-12 04:03 AM
    Dude sorry but you don't have a clue, iphone and android do support exchange but the email provider has to have it in the first place. When you host and email account you get pop3 or imap or imap idle, depending on the provider, and exchange comes as extra monthly fee, some even charge for imap support.

You can set up an exchange email on your android but if the email provider doesn't have it added to your account that exchange set up is useless.

Without exchange you have no push email on your android or iphone.

A simple pop3 set up is push on a BB and a imap set up is instant push.

Your work pays for exchange. It's not free.
    Well duh! Of course exchange costs money on the enterprise end , but the mobile end is free because Apple and Android license it from Microsoft .

And the great thing is companies save money not having to get a BES server. Consumers save money not having to get a BES or BIS plan. Everyone wins and RIM loses again.

And POP on a Berry is not push. It is pull with a 15 minute poll cycle.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-16-12 at 04:09 AM.
    03-16-12 04:07 AM
    Well duh! Of course exchange costs money on the enterprise end , but the mobile end is free because Apple and Android license it from Microsoft .

And the great thing is companies save money not having to get a BES server. Consumers save money not having to get a BES or BIS plan. Everyone wins and RIM loses again.

And POP on a Berry is not push. It is pull with a 15 minute poll cycle.
    Dude, you still don't get it, apple or android have exchange but if your own hosted account doesn't that exchange is useless to you. Imap or pop3 doesn't give you push email, Blackberry does for both.

Get it?

Stop blabing on about bis and market capitalisation and other crap that a consumer couldn't care less about.

You show me how you set up an imap hosted email account on your android as push and I'll eat my words, without rooting it to Google by the way, straight set up.

Edit- POP on a blackbery is push just not instant push, any email account on a blackberry is push, there is no pull option.

The NOC does the pull for POP email accounts, from the NOC to BB is push, meaning a BB never pulls for emails, it sits quiet untill one is pushed to it.

Hope you get it now.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 03-16-12 at 04:18 AM.
    03-16-12 04:14 AM
    Dude, you still don't get it, apple or android have exchange but if your own hosted account doesn't that exchange is useless to you. Imap or pop3 doesn't give you push email, Blackberry does for both.

Get it?

Stop blabing on about bis and market capitalisation and other crap that a consumer couldn't care less about.

You show me how you set up an imap hosted email account on your android as push and I'll eat my words, without rooting it to Google by the way, straight set up.

Edit- POP on a blackbery is push just not instant push, any email account on a blackberry is push, there is no pull option.

The NOC does the pull for POP email accounts, from the NOC to BB is push, meaning a BB never pulls for emails, it sits quiet untill one is pushed to it.

Hope you get it now.
    Well said, mate.
    03-16-12 05:13 AM
    Welcome back OP. Sorry the thread's been hijacked by misguided "facts" about BlackBerries. As someone who's used nothing but a BlackBerry to access the web for years, let me clear a few things up.....

BlackBerry does have two-way sync if desired. It's easily executed via Desktop and Outlook.

I've had forward-reply with edit for years, along with many other handy mail features, using Fixmo Tools | Fixmo Inc.

Access to folders is a simple use of the browser, should you want to see them. For the overwhelming majority it's not necessary, so for speed and efficiency it has only been integrated for gmail natively. I've rarely used it, but the mobile Yahoo works well for general full access:

Personally I usually went to the desktop version when I needed access to large attachments or other folders. Like I said, it's a rare moment that would be needed anyway, and pretty colors for folders? Well if that's a feature that separates BlackBerry from the other platforms, I think I can live with that.

Now, I'll remind you all. The thread is about features the OP missed from BlackBerry while using an Android. He never suggested either was superior, and even pointed out there would be things he missed about Android after returning to BlackBerry. Untwist the knickers, every thread need not turn into a platform war.

Discussion over
    jonathon.94 likes this.
    03-16-12 07:00 AM
135 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD