Welcome back!

I have a 9900 on the latest OS7 leak and all i can say is 'what lag?'. Battery life is decent too. Unplugged 27.5 hours ago, battery at 55% with Meterberry showing avg discharge of 1.7% hour
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-11-12 09:30 AM
    Strangely enough, this is the THIRD Thread I've seen that someone is coming back from Android. Three different Android devices and posters said "well of course you didn't like Android, that phone sucks."

People said it about my Android Thunderbolt too.

So which Android makes people stay? I almost wish I went with the DROID Incredible instead of the Bolt.
    Likely a Samsung? I know my Galaxy smoked the HTC Desire Z I had in terms of battery. We also get a lot of hardware malfunction returns on HTC products. Other than Samsung hardware wise the Motorolas are the second most reliable but still nowhere near as good on battery. I doubt I'd ever buy another HTC to be honest.

To the OP, the 9900 is a nice phone but the battery is atrocious. I have tried everything the diehards have suggested - battery saver, I don't have a lot of apps (3 to be exact), nothing running in the background, I live in an area with excellent coverage, and I replaced the battery (first one was bad) and I still can't get from 6am to 6pm with moderate use (I'd be at 10% or less by 4pm). My iPhone with heavier use has 40% or more by that point and I would still be able to not charge for about 6 more hours. I don't know what RIM was thinking putting a 1230-50mah into a phone with 1.2 ghz processors in it. I'd like a slightly thicker phone if it meant decent battery. I know some people here are saying they are getting over a day on a 9900 with heavy use but I honestly don't see how. All I know is real world experience and the 9900 is the only phone I've ever had to bump charge at work. Other than that, it's a great phone. Frankly the battery is why it's sitting in a drawer and I'm back on my iPhone full time. Battery monitoring claims I'm getting 2.83% an hour discharge but that isn't what I'm actually observing by a long shot. I've never had a phone other than HTC that I could actually watch the phone level drop by about a percent a minute while doing something as simple as web browsing on wifi. Obviously mileages vary, but I can't live with that battery right now when I don't have to.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 03-11-12 at 10:18 AM.
    03-11-12 09:34 AM
    CurvePXL, stop trolling, if you hate BB, go back to Android, and stop posting hate messages and move on. To the OP welcome back!

Haha get over it. I'm back to BB because I loved my old curve until it died. I like this 9930, but I'm also not in blind denial. I've been with iPhone and 4 different Andys. Flagship BB vs flagship Andy like the Galaxy SII or even a middle of the road Andy like the Droid Razr, there's no comparison.

The camera here still hasn't improved (no autofocus wtf? What is this the iPhone 1??), development support is still wimpy, app quality sucks compared to other platforms, and the OS still feels outdated.

However, everyone loves a BB for a different reason and I came back to give it another shot. It still has its good points like feel and build quality, refined OS even though it feels like I went back in time, and it's just plain quick for messaging.

I understand this is a BB forum and that there will be mad fanboys here, but go play with a Galaxy Nexus for a month and see for yourself. At least have an educated opinion.

Oh and btw, my 4G Revolution gets the same battery life as this 3G Bold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-11-12 10:41 AM
    I never had to reset bb9900 in last seven month that I own it.
    03-11-12 10:50 AM
    It's easy to use, Easy to fix
    Yes one of the things I love about BB's I can replace housing,screen,keyboard,
    speaker, ect. in minutes and it just takes common sense to replace.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    03-11-12 10:59 AM
    Welcome back! Android is a great phone; but so is BlackBerry! And by the way - waterproof?! Say what?! Awesome!!
    03-11-12 11:15 AM
    Welcome back to the Rimpire.

I agree OS7 has made things better. I used to have to reset my old OS6 9800 all the time.
    LOL. Awesome play on words!
    03-11-12 11:17 AM
    Likely a Samsung? I know my Galaxy smoked the HTC Desire Z I had in terms of battery. We also get a lot of hardware malfunction returns on HTC products. Other than Samsung hardware wise the Motorolas are the second most reliable but still nowhere near as good on battery. I doubt I'd ever buy another HTC to be honest.

To the OP, the 9900 is a nice phone but the battery is atrocious. I have tried everything the diehards have suggested - battery saver, I don't have a lot of apps (3 to be exact), nothing running in the background, I live in an area with excellent coverage, and I replaced the battery (first one was bad) and I still can't get from 6am to 6pm with moderate use (I'd be at 10% or less by 4pm). My iPhone with heavier use has 40% or more by that point and I would still be able to not charge for about 6 more hours. I don't know what RIM was thinking putting a 1230-50mah into a phone with 1.2 ghz processors in it. I'd like a slightly thicker phone if it meant decent battery. I know some people here are saying they are getting over a day on a 9900 with heavy use but I honestly don't see how. All I know is real world experience and the 9900 is the only phone I've ever had to bump charge at work. Other than that, it's a great phone. Frankly the battery is why it's sitting in a drawer and I'm back on my iPhone full time. Battery monitoring claims I'm getting 2.83% an hour discharge but that isn't what I'm actually observing by a long shot. I've never had a phone other than HTC that I could actually watch the phone level drop by about a percent a minute while doing something as simple as web browsing on wifi. Obviously mileages vary, but I can't live with that battery right now when I don't have to.

What OS are you using?

I had 7.1.0.74 and was getting from 5:30amish till 7:30pmish during business day's as long as I didn't have a conference call, I found the talk time had to stay under 2hours a day to get through a full day of battery.
    That said, I have screen brightness on 10, BT is only on when I connect to my PlayBook, and my emails are not set to download images automatically, so as to not eat up too much data.

and I would rate my usage as heavy, seeing easily 100-150 emails a day and 30-40BBM conversations.
    03-11-12 11:29 AM
    I left bb about 9 - 10 months ago, & said id be back when they caught up. And I still might, but I have to admit, it is a ton of fun rooting and flashing custom roms on Android! I just got into that part of it and I am having a blast! But I have never tried to put bb down or insult anyone's preference, because I feel to each his own.... Bb just fell a little behind for me, but as I have been reading they are making real strides as of late... Both are great..

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-11-12 11:36 AM
    I too am coming back to Blackberry. My 9900 is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it. In the past I've used RIM devices dating back to the two way pager. I've also had an 8700 and 9700. I'm excited to try out the best keyboard on the market today.
    03-11-12 01:13 PM
    There's a reverse revolution happening, people are going from trying to do everything on one mobile phone to just using the mobile phone for communications. The explosion of cheap tablets and long battery laptops is helping this.

I'm even considering going back to a 9700-9780 or even 9000 at the moment.

I've been using an old 8800 for the past week waiting for my 9900 replacement and it's been an eye opener, two solid days of battery life with very hard use brings one less worry in life. I found myself constantly looking at the battery indicator only to see it down 10% after 5 hours.

Are we all suffering from battery anxiety now?
    I agree!

I'm super happy with my PlayBook and "old" 9650 combo. The battery life on the 9650 is awesome. Not sure I want to get the 9930.
    03-11-12 01:22 PM
    Make that another one coming back. I've been using a couple of different Android phones for the last year and a half.

Great phones, very easy to use and I didn't have the battery issues some have had, but I've missed the Blackberry "feel". So I recently reactivated my 9650.

Bought a new 64GB Playbook ($249.99!) on eBay recently and just bought a 9930 from another Crackberry member, thanks Galpdawg!

I'm pretty sure that combo will keep me happy until BB10 comes out.

Stan M.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    03-11-12 02:28 PM
    What OS are you using?

I had 7.1.0.74 and was getting from 5:30amish till 7:30pmish during business day's as long as I didn't have a conference call, I found the talk time had to stay under 2hours a day to get through a full day of battery.
    That said, I have screen brightness on 10, BT is only on when I connect to my PlayBook, and my emails are not set to download images automatically, so as to not eat up too much data.

and I would rate my usage as heavy, seeing easily 100-150 emails a day and 30-40BBM conversations.
    7.1.0.267. It's better, a lot better, but still less than I like or am comfortable with.

03-11-12 02:32 PM
    I agree!

I'm super happy with my PlayBook and "old" 9650 combo. The battery life on the 9650 is awesome. Not sure I want to get the 9930.
    Here's a shocker I just bought a new Pearl 3G on ebay for �85, literaly minutes ago, and gonna sell my 9900 and buy a PlayBook. Looking forward to this combo.
    03-11-12 02:34 PM
    Hmmmm the Pearl I remember when this phone was liked by so many.
    Still a cool unique device.
    03-11-12 02:47 PM
    I still dig out my 8130 every once in a while. God I loved that form factor.

03-11-12 02:53 PM
    9900 has lag when i'm switching between many apps and copy and pasting/composing an email/txt at the same time. Otherwise, it's pretty smooth.

As for battery life, it gets me through 7:30am to 10:30pm most days with moderate usage. Heavy usage, i'll get maybe 3-4 hours less. It's not as bad as some people say.

In respect to apps, I've had my fair share of using my friends' iOS and Droid devices, and the ONLY thing I miss on the BB is probably DoodleJump. Not enough to make me switch. OP is right, any apps you really need, is on BB already.

The camera does suck in comparison with the other phones (*cough* iPhone), but it's just for close-ups or macros. It takes really nice pictures if your object is not within a half a foot of you. Which is most of the time for me. I can live with the camera, some people can't.
    03-11-12 04:55 PM
    I agree!

Can't blame you there. I went from a 9650 to a 9930, and the battery life sucked some major ______ balls. I really don't like this trend with regards to battery life. My 9650 was good, but my 8330 ruled. I understand feature-wise we have progressed, but I would like to see a return to the 2 day battery life of the old devices....
    03-11-12 05:03 PM
    Hmmmm the Pearl I remember when this phone was liked by so many.
    Still a cool unique device.

Ahh the pearl. My first BB way back when I was still with Tmo

03-11-12 05:51 PM
    Haha get over it. I'm back to BB because I loved my old curve until it died. I like this 9930, but I'm also not in blind denial. I've been with iPhone and 4 different Andys. Flagship BB vs flagship Andy like the Galaxy SII or even a middle of the road Andy like the Droid Razr, there's no comparison.

The camera here still hasn't improved (no autofocus wtf? What is this the iPhone 1??), development support is still wimpy, app quality sucks compared to other platforms, and the OS still feels outdated.

However, everyone loves a BB for a different reason and I came back to give it another shot. It still has its good points like feel and build quality, refined OS even though it feels like I went back in time, and it's just plain quick for messaging.

I understand this is a BB forum and that there will be mad fanboys here, but go play with a Galaxy Nexus for a month and see for yourself. At least have an educated opinion.

Oh and btw, my 4G Revolution gets the same battery life as this 3G Bold.

Nobody here is 'in blind denial'. People here - at least most of us - are not so delusional as to believe BB is the best thing since sliced bread in the world of mobile devices. We simply prefer it over the alternatives, probably for many of the same reasons you came back to it.
    03-11-12 05:52 PM
    There's a reverse revolution happening, people are going from trying to do everything on one mobile phone to just using the mobile phone for communications. The explosion of cheap tablets and long battery laptops is helping this.

I'm even considering going back to a 9700-9780 or even 9000 at the moment.

I've been using an old 8800 for the past week waiting for my 9900 replacement and it's been an eye opener, two solid days of battery life with very hard use brings one less worry in life. I found myself constantly looking at the battery indicator only to see it down 10% after 5 hours.

Are we all suffering from battery anxiety now?
    You could always flip the data connection on the 9930 to 2G,it'll probably last you a couple of days at least. Not sure of the equivalent for Verizon "2G". Of course you data will take about 5 more seconds to upload. Usually do this when there is a power outage.
    03-11-12 05:55 PM
    Strangely enough, this is the THIRD Thread I've seen that someone is coming back from Android. Three different Android devices and posters said "well of course you didn't like Android, that phone sucks."

People said it about my Android Thunderbolt too.

So which Android makes people stay? I almost wish I went with the DROID Incredible instead of the Bolt.
    That's always the issue of Android. There's a few good phones stuck in between a bunch of crappy ones. The Droid RAZR Maxx, Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy Nexus are the only Android phones out right now that I'd like.

I'm not sure what your reasons for dumping the Thunderbolt were, but I'm going to guess that it was probably because it weighed too much, had an awkward screen size, buggy software and awful battery life.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-11-12 06:39 PM
    As for me, I switched from HTC Windows Mobile phone 2 years ago. I've switching Blackberries since then. Im very satisfied with how BB work out with my daily tasks and leisure. Just bought Torch 9810 to upgrade from my old 9800...
    03-11-12 07:49 PM
    All those and a terrible LED. Otherwise, I did like the OS, widgets, email and lot of other things.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-11-12 at 08:00 PM.
    03-11-12 07:50 PM
    Welcome home.
    03-11-12 08:05 PM
135 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD