So I was doing my morning glance at my Facebook feed.. and saw a status saying 'Bought my first shares of RIM!! Now let's hope the stock goes up!! :-D' and something like 13 comments. 10 of them were saying: RIM IS DEAD (3x); SELL ASAP; BAD INVESTMENT... sorta deal.

Infuriated, I updated my status as "Nothing pisses me off more than RIM-bashing. Why do you want BlackBerry to fail? Do you want thousands of people to lose their jobs? Do you know how heavily CPP is invested in RIM? If it fails, you can say goodbye to your pension. Stop treating RIM like it's already dead. And if you gave the new BlackBerry products a try, you'd be pleasantly surprised." And I rarely update statuses, so that says a lot.

4 hours later, total of 44 comments. More than half of them were conversation between two Apple fanboys saying how Apple was better ('seamless ecosystem'), why RIM sucks (PB=turd, letting other gov'ts spy, no new innovations, no one wants keyboards, etc) and defending their lack of Flash (Flash is dead). But, not anywhere in my status did I mention Apple. Yet they hijack my status to worship Steve Jobs and the Church of Apple, AND RIM-bash.

I put up a good debate and at least I got the last word. Looking back at it, it was kind of amusing, and almost entertaining to read.

Reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail... the old man in the wheelbarrow saying, "I'm NOT dead!" yet he's still carted away by John Cleese.
    Morty2264 and sleepngbear like this.
    02-23-12 04:49 PM
    Interesting. How heavily is CPP invested in RIMM?
    02-23-12 05:16 PM
    Assuming Rick Mercer didn't lie, 2,000,000 shares.

02-23-12 08:26 PM
    Assuming Rick Mercer didn't lie, 2,000,000 shares.

Oh, ok, a relatively small number then. For a second I thought you were serious when you said "say goodbye to your pension", as if this was big enough to impact solvency or something.
    02-23-12 09:59 PM
    I don't understand that type of attitude either, saw the same thing when circuit city went out of business and the same with blockbuster when they filed for bankruptcy. It's okay if you don't like what a company is selling, just don't buy it. But to activity be "rooting" for a company to go under and for us to lose thousands of jobs and one more competitor in the marketplace with the way our economy is now, I just don't get it.
    02-23-12 11:07 PM
    I think its amusing reading that garbage from my "dead" absolete blackberry. What's Rim now still 3rd in line o the smart phones? Yea its going under. Android is way out in front because heck its on every manufactors devices but Apple,blackberry and nokia. Or has android won nokia over yet? I would like to see a comparison of devices sold.
    02-24-12 12:11 AM
    Infuriated, I updated my status as "Nothing pisses me off more than RIM-bashing. Why do you want BlackBerry to fail? Do you want thousands of people to lose their jobs? Do you know how heavily CPP is invested in RIM? If it fails, you can say goodbye to your pension. Stop treating RIM like it's already dead. And if you gave the new BlackBerry products a try, you'd be pleasantly surprised." And I rarely update statuses, so that says a lot.

4 hours later, total of 44 comments. More than half of them were conversation between two Apple fanboys saying how Apple was better ('seamless ecosystem'), why RIM sucks (PB=turd, letting other gov'ts spy, no new innovations, no one wants keyboards, etc) and defending their lack of Flash (Flash is dead). But, not anywhere in my status did I mention Apple. Yet they hijack my status to worship Steve Jobs and the Church of Apple, AND RIM-bash.
    Ah. So you have people allegedly hijacking your Facebook feed, and your solution is to tell the ill-wishers to stop. . . on CrackBerry.

Yeah I don't buy that any of this happened. It seems a little, you know, apocryphal. But, feel free to post the feed and prove me wrong.
    brucep1 likes this.
    02-24-12 12:14 AM
    Ah. So you have people allegedly hijacking your Facebook feed, and your solution is to tell the ill-wishers to stop. . . on CrackBerry.

Yeah I don't buy that any of this happened. It seems a little, you know, apocryphal. But, feel free to post the feed and prove me wrong.
    I too would like to see that feed.
    02-24-12 12:30 AM
    No need to post the feed. All that is needed is to search for CB forum threads or blogs that say anything positive about BBerries. The usual suspects hijack them within 10 or 15 posts....it's very telling, when those usual suspects spend so little time in the forums for their own devices, that their apparent sole intent for being on CB.com is to denigrate BBerries and to ridicule and harass BB users.
    Go ahead....take a look at activity in those other forums....take a look at the posts of these usual suspects and notice where they post most. Then ask why anyone would spend so much time on a competing product from the one they own.
    I'm on a Honda forum. I own a Honda. I don't go into a Toyota forum to speak ad nauseum about how I feel that Hondas as so much better than Toyotas. Why would I? I go into the Honda forum to find out about my car....similarly, I predominantly stay within the forum of my preferred device.
    02-24-12 03:58 AM
    Just as when I always get sh*t from the fanboys I work with, I just pull out the Berry and kiss it for all to see.
    02-24-12 04:43 AM

I too would like to see that feed.
    And I would like to see you two get a room. Or just go anywhere but here.

Like the OP suggests, many of us here are quite tired of people like you and a handful of others who slip into any given thread to nit-pick irrelevant points for the sake of arguing and drop your constant subtle and not-so-subtle criticisms of everything RIM does. You all conveniently forget that this is still a BlackBerry fan site, and then wonder why we get frustrated with your antics. It's bothersome enough in a public, 'non-denominational' (and brainless) environment like Facebook; it gets downright infuriating when you repeatedly bring it to our own house.

No one here says RIM and BlackBerry are perfect in every way; we all know they've had their issues. We have no problem discussing those in positive, informative exchanges. We do have problems when they are constantly thrown in our face, particularly when they are not pertinent to the topic of a given thread.

So yeah, the OP wants to bring it into this forum, I say it's perfectly appropriate. As you all are so fond of saying, if you don't like it, don't read it.
    02-24-12 04:52 AM
    And I would like to see you two get a room. Or just go anywhere but here.

Like the OP suggests, many of us here are quite tired of people like you and a handful of others who slip into any given thread to nit-pick irrelevant points for the sake of arguing and drop your constant subtle and not-so-subtle criticisms of everything RIM does. You all conveniently forget that this is still a BlackBerry fan site, and then wonder why we get frustrated with your antics. It's bothersome enough in a public, 'non-denominational' (and brainless) environment like Facebook; it gets downright infuriating when you repeatedly bring it to our own house.
    1. Dont use the tired, old "many of us..." You speak for yourself. No one elected you to be their spokesperson, and even if they did its a pretty lame way of deflecting attention away from what was originally being discussed. Have the courage to stand by your opinions yourself, and even more importantly: Have the courage to let your arguments stand up by themselves, without deferring to some ill defined, partly imaginary majority opinion.

2. Is this your forum? Nope, thought so... When you have your own forum, you can feel free to include or exclude the topics people discuss to your hearts content.(even though dismissing somebodys opinion or post because of any imaginary allegiance, or lack thereof, is pretty weak.)

On a public forum like this however, you'll need to respect that people come from widely different places.
    Some of the posters here are self described BB-fans or fanboys. Others are merely interested in discussing technology without strong preferences or allegiances. And others still, and personally I count myself somewhere in between the last two categories, are former (or current) BB owners that can't be described as fanboys, though they want the company to do well and release great products. (Not just because competition is great, but because they LIKE gadgets and technology no matter what name is on the label.)

And then there are the former or current BB owners who have grown disappointed and critical of the company because of what they perceive as failures and broken promises.

The Crackberry nation is pretty darn big and roomy, and I don't recall anybody electing you to choose what is acceptable opinions, and what isn't...
    02-24-12 05:55 AM
    I am not voting for you CrackedBerry for sure.
    Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 02-24-12 at 07:02 AM.
    02-24-12 06:07 AM
    The problem is that people with low self confidence think their smartphone, tablet or computer is an extension of who they are. They cannot handle hearing that some people enjoy a different device and take this as a direct insult.
    02-24-12 06:08 AM
    There are some forums where one can select to ignore the posts of certain members. Any way we could have that option?
    02-24-12 06:22 AM
    Here too.
    Go to the user's profile. Below the name choose the drop down tor User List. Click add to ignore.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-24-12 06:40 AM
    Here too.
    Go to the user's profile. Below the name choose the drop down tor User List. Click add to ignore.
    Thank you. I have started the clean up (3 frlm that thread alone....) Would be nice to have a dislike button also.
    Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 02-24-12 at 06:49 AM.
    02-24-12 06:45 AM
    1. Dont use the tired, old "many of us..." You speak for yourself. No one elected you to be their spokesperson, and even if they did its a pretty lame way of deflecting attention away from what was originally being discussed. Have the courage to stand by your opinions yourself, and even more importantly: Have the courage to let your arguments stand up by themselves, without deferring to some ill defined, partly imaginary majority opinion.

2. Is this your forum? Nope, thought so... When you have your own forum, you can feel free to include or exclude the topics people discuss to your hearts content.(even though dismissing somebodys opinion or post because of any imaginary allegiance, or lack thereof, is pretty weak.)

On a public forum like this however, you'll need to respect that people come from widely different places.
    Some of the posters here are self described BB-fans or fanboys. Others are merely interested in discussing technology without strong preferences or allegiances. And others still, and personally I count myself somewhere in between the last two categories, are former (or current) BB owners that can't be described as fanboys, though they want the company to do well and release great products. (Not just because competition is great, but because they LIKE gadgets and technology no matter what name is on the label.)

And then there are the former or current BB owners who have grown disappointed and critical of the company because of what they perceive as failures and broken promises.

The Crackberry nation is pretty darn big and roomy, and I don't recall anybody electing you to choose what is acceptable opinions, and what isn't...
    And this makes your post any more informative how? You have more right than sleepingbear to speak his mind?

I don't recall sleepingbear mentioning that he was elected to do anything. He pretty much spoke his mind. In the very same tone you claim everybody else has the right to do. Sleepingbear just repeated what a lot of us have already said. Matter of fact what he said goes more with tbe title of the thread than anything you blew off about.
    Sleepingbear you got my vote.
    02-24-12 06:52 AM
    Sleepngbear for CB Vice Prez!!!! (Seeing as the top job's already taken!).

Edited to add:

I am always amused by the usual suspects' response to BB fans' defense of the platform we have chosen. Seemingly, they feel they are empowered to come into this site and go into three specific areas, General Discussion (which on the site description clearly states it's BB General BB Discussion), News and Rumours (also geared towards BB) and the Playbook (clearly BB), and proceed to down every possible thread with their vitriol. Then they are perturbed when we come back, as we have done here, to post our reactions to their hate filled propaganda.

Haters, trolls, etc., deal with it.

If you feel empowered to belittle, cajole, harrass, ridicule those of us who prefer BBerries and who post on a site created for us to discuss and, as in KM's words, profess our love for all things CB, be ready when we come back and offer up a dissenting opinion to your hateful diatribes.

Don't like it? Don't read it. Put us on Ignore. You often state this as the solution to having us deal with your posts.../oes both ways. If you don't like to hear us posting positive comments about BBerries and tearing down your assertions and propaganda, use the Ignore button.

I would lose no sleep over it.

For myself, as long as I don't insult someone personally, I am permitted to post.

What's that word I used? Permitted? Yes...posting here is not a right. It is something we are allowed to do if we don't insult, belittle, cajole,harrass other posters. Imagine that....we are allowed to speak well of our brand choice on a site initially created for that brand so long as we don't engage in the behaviours that the usual suspects exhibit....the audacity....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-24-12 at 07:55 AM.
    02-24-12 07:28 AM
    The problem is that people with low self confidence think their smartphone, tablet or computer is an extension of who they are. They cannot handle hearing that some people enjoy a different device and take this as a direct insult.
    I have no problem hearing and learning about what other people use and enjoy. I DO have a problem when people repeatedly slam what I use and enjoy on a site that I joined for the very reason that I have been using and enjoying BlackBerry's for several years. You have a problem with that, by all means use that newly discovered Ignore feature.
    kbz1960 and momofteme like this.
    02-24-12 07:33 AM
    Sleepngbear for CB Vice Prez!!!! (Seeing as the top job's already taken!).
    I 2nd................
    02-24-12 07:48 AM
    Like the OP suggests, many of us here are quite tired of people like you and a handful of others who slip into any given thread to nit-pick irrelevant points for the sake of arguing and drop your constant subtle and not-so-subtle criticisms of everything RIM does.
    Really. What was the last criticism I leveled at RIM?

As for nit-picking irrelevant points, I didn't realize that the story being true or not true was irrelevant. Oh wait, that's right, this is a BlackBerry fan site. Truth is irrelevant.

If you have a problem with what I write, don't read. But I honestly couldn't care less about how "tired" you may be. When "your own house" is a public forum, you need to have thicker skin.

So yeah, the OP wants to bring it into this forum, I say it's perfectly appropriate. As you all are so fond of saying, if you don't like it, don't read it.
    Seems like you solved your own problem there at the end. Well done.
    02-24-12 07:50 AM
    People just want to show how cool they are that they now have the new "in" device, and want to feel superior to those who are still on outdated technology.

BlackBerry may be more than a little dated with its current devices. And RIM may very well not be doing the best right now in market share. But is it necessary for folks to drive this point CONSTANTLY? ?!!?¡¡

Its in the media, its in tech blogs, its on CrackBerry, its on my timeline and newsfeed.... Alright, already!

I feel like with the sentiment towards RIM being so negative, they could release the most awesome device running BB10, and the hating community of BlackBerry would pounce all over it to tear it down.

My thing is, and what I'm understanding from the OP, why be soooo negative as if you 'want' to see another tech company fail?

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    02-24-12 08:01 AM
    Dude is questioning the validity of the story? O_o #facepalm

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    02-24-12 08:06 AM
    Or take any criticism of their device as a criticism of themselves...

Which is an attitude I don't really understand. When I had BB I knew it wasn't a perfect device, but I didn't really care what others opinion of it was (Though granted, RIM a much better reputation back then, and gad it a lot more together).

I dropped BBs when they started lagging behind, and I don't mind admitting that my current choice of gadgetry also has flaws. If RIM ever makes something better than what I currently have, I'd be happy to get that no matter what the consensus about it is.

Dunno, guess I just don't understand people who have a uncritical relationship with their gadgets or the company that makes them...
    02-24-12 08:07 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD