...what would you buy and why?

I would buy the smallest used slab phone from a top tier manufacturer (for security and quality reasons) running Android Q Beta for the following reasons:

1) Improved gesture navigation means I no longer need the BlackBerry PKB. I didn't find it all that wonderful for typing compared to the BlackBerry VKB, but I really needed it for the hardware shortcuts as I couldn't be efficient with the three button navigation. The new gestures address my problem and would allow me to be as quick on Android as I am on BB10 when it comes to task switching. Also, the fact that the swipe gesture work one-handed is a huge plus for me.

2) The new top-level access to privacy settings allows me to maintain my privacy as easily as the DTEK app did, so I no longer require DTEK.

3) Android's Project Mainline updates for security patches via the app store are going to be much better than the existing update system and will take OEMs and carriers out of the equation for bugs and security patches (though not for feature updates). So I won't have to worry about this when selecting a carrier or OEM. Long overdue and a huge improvement! [NOTE: These features will only be available on new phones that ship with Q, so I would either need to wait to by one used or do without these features.]

4) I'll buy a used phone for cash and register it with an alias on a prepaid account so that my carrier does not have my true identity. This is a privacy control that matters to me.

5) Focus Mode allows me to have a work and personal experience with minimum distractions, that gets me close to my BB10 experience.

6) The Android team is using more local features that improve the user experience without sharing data. It feels like they are starting to recognize that not giving users basic privacy options is actually a business risk. Since I don't use my actual identity on my phone (I use aliases for all accounts, mask my email and messages with forwarding services, use alias payment methods, etc.) the new privacy controls are sufficient to address my concerns.

7) With Android pushing patches directly, I know I could keep the phone for 3-4 years!

8) Small because I like to work one-handed.

In short, Android 10 is the update I've wanted for more than 3 years and would be my choice if I had to buy another phone this year.

All that said, I DON'T plan to buy another Android phone for at least a year, as my Z10/KEYone combination meets all my needs, and, if I buy a phone just for fun, it would be the Librem 5 running Linux when it ships.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 08-22-19 at 11:10 AM.
    08-22-19 09:58 AM

I would buy the smallest used slab phone from a top tier manufacturer (for security and quality reasons) running Android Q Beta for the following reasons:

1) Improved gesture navigation means I no longer need the BlackBerry PKB. I didn't find it all that wonderful for typing compared to the BlackBerry VKB, but I really needed it for the hardware shortcuts as I couldn't be efficient with the three button navigation. The new gestures address my problem and would allow me to be as quick on Android as I am on BB10 when it comes to task switching. Also, the fact that the swipe gesture work one-handed is a huge plus for me.

2) The new top-level access to privacy settings allows me to maintain my privacy as easily as the DTEK app did, so I no longer require DTEK.

3) Android's Project Mainline updates for security patches via the app store are going to be much better than the existing update system and will take OEMs and carriers out of the equation for bugs and security patches (though not for feature updates). So I won't have to worry about this when selecting a carrier or OEM. Long overdue and a huge improvement!

4) I'll buy a used phone for cash and register it with an alias on a prepaid account so that my carrier does not have my true identity. This is a privacy control that matters to me.

5) Focus Mode allows me to have a work and personal experience with minimum distractions, that gets me close to my BB10 experience.

6) The Android team is using more local features that improve the user experience without sharing data. It feels like they are starting to recognize that not giving users basic privacy options is actually a business risk. Since I don't use my actual identity on my phone (I use aliases for all accounts, mask my email and messages with forwarding services, use alias payment methods, etc.) the new privacy controls are sufficient to address my concerns.

7) With Android pushing patches directly, I know I could keep the phone for 3-4 years!

8) Small because I like to work one-handed.

In short, Android 10 is the update I've wanted for more than 3 years and would be my choice if I had to buy another phone this year.

All that said, I DON'T plan to buy another Android phone for at least a year, as my Z10/KEYone combination meets all my needs, and, if I buy a phone just for fun, it would be the Librem 5 running Linux when it ships.

All that and you aren't even in the market for a new phone?
    08-22-19 10:47 AM
    Pretty much mirrors my situation. Somewhat different path but same destination, ultimately. Will be watching your choice process with great interest!
    08-22-19 10:50 AM
    If I was in the market for a slab, I would probably go with the Nokia 7.2 Android One device.
    08-22-19 10:56 AM
    I won't buy a new phone for privacy reasons. I want the MAC address to have a long history with someone else first.

08-22-19 10:57 AM
    Some of us plan further ahead than others.
    08-22-19 11:02 AM
    I buy almost everything used, by the way, with the exception of socks, underwear, mattresses, child car seats, and other items where safety or health is an issue.

It's partly for economic reasons. I try to save enough money each year to take 8-10 weeks of vacation in a rented house somewhere. Buy it's also to keep money in my local community and to protest our disposable, consumer-oriented economy, which doesn't create sufficient wealth for low and medium income people.

Mecca EL, BBHermes and Tsepz_GP like this.
    08-22-19 11:05 AM
    I went with the Pixel 3a.

This was a pretty huge upgrade over my DTEK50 that I really liked. Similar in size, monthly updates, Android Q, amazing camera and superior battery life.

I have the BlackBerry software suite and the APK for BlackBerry keyboard, which has now become junk on Android.
    tfitzpat03, bh7171 and Mecca EL like this.
    08-22-19 11:52 AM
    I have the BlackBerry software suite and the APK for BlackBerry keyboard, which has now become junk on Android.
    Are you using Hub+ Inbox? If so, any issues with duplicated call log entries?
    08-22-19 12:07 PM
    Are you using Hub+ Inbox? If so, any issues with duplicated call log entries?
    Yeah.... duplicate entries happen for phone calls. I think it has to do with the dialer that is specific to Pixel phones. I don't think BlackBerry has addressed this issue. All other Android phones use Google's regular old-school dialer I believe.

I'm mostly frustrated with the VKB. It was way better on BB10. There is a thread in the Motion forum about it also.
    08-22-19 12:36 PM
    I'm mostly frustrated with the VKB. It was way better on BB10. There is a thread in the Motion forum about it also.
    I mastered this VKB and I absolutely love it!

Please read this and PM me with any questions you may have. I will be happy to help.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...shortcuts.html
    08-22-19 12:45 PM
    Yeah.... duplicate entries happen for phone calls. I think it has to do with the dialer that is specific to Pixel phones. I don't think BlackBerry has addressed this issue. All other Android phones use Google's regular old-school dialer I believe.
    I think you are right!
    08-22-19 12:47 PM
    I mastered this VKB and I absolutely love it!

Please read this and PM me with any questions you may have. I will be happy to help.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...shortcuts.html
    Thanks. I have considered this. Is there a dark theme?
    08-22-19 12:56 PM
    It appears so.
    08-22-19 12:58 PM
    Sure is! And many others as well.
    08-22-19 12:59 PM
    Pixel 4XL will be my next phone.

Probably with no BlackBerry apps.
    08-22-19 05:06 PM
    I’d buy the iPhone Xr, like I did.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-22-19 05:45 PM
    I won't buy a new phone for privacy reasons. I want the MAC address to have a long history with someone else first.

I’m picturing you as the family guy version of James Bond or Jason Bourne now...
    08-22-19 06:50 PM
    I buy almost everything used, by the way, with the exception of socks, underwear, mattresses, child car seats, and other items where safety or health is an issue.

It's partly for economic reasons. I try to save enough money each year to take 8-10 weeks of vacation in a rented house somewhere. Buy it's also to keep money in my local community and to protest our disposable, consumer-oriented economy, which doesn't create sufficient wealth for low and medium income people.

If you’d buy the generic bleach in bulk, everything should be OK like the commercial.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-22-19 06:52 PM
    If you’d buy the generic bleach in bulk, everything should be OK like the commercial.
    I tried bleaching an iPod once. It made Barry White sound like the Bee Gees.

ppeters914 and Mecca EL like this.
    08-22-19 07:13 PM
    I’m picturing you as the family guy version of James Bond or Jason Bourne now...
    LOL. It would definitely not help me much against the CIA or NSA, but it's very effective against commercial surveillance like Google and Facebook.

08-22-19 07:15 PM
    Key3, natch.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-22-19 08:45 PM
    Key 2
    the_boon likes this.
    08-22-19 09:48 PM
    Key3, natch.
    John Albert likes this.
    08-22-19 10:03 PM
    I'd get a Samsung A6. Flat screen, no curved edges, no notch or big spot of dead pixels on screen for the camera, and cheap.

The S9 is my last overpriced, brittle as a Pringles potato chip phone.
    the_boon and bh7171 like this.
    08-22-19 10:19 PM
188 123 ...