I just got a Q5 because I've been curious to play with the new blackberry OS since it was originally due out in...autumn 2011? Anyhow, I got the Q5, got it used, because a) I wanted a keyboard and b) I have a very limited budget.

I like it ok. Maybe not enough to switch, not sure yet, but so far, it's ok.
    02-11-14 07:47 PM
    I'm asking this question to try and clarify something;

I would like to know if those of you with a BB10 device, (referring to the first one you got) why did you get it?

How important/influential where the following factors? (also if you don't mind please include your location (just country/region is fine )

1) Price (more of a setback than a draw for some but you never know)

2) Trying out the device

3) Advertisement (what kind did you see)

4) You are a BlackBerry fan and it was their latest offering, why wouldn't you get it

5) you felt it was time for something new

Other

Did you feel that you learnt enough about BB10 from the adverts?

Or did your past with blackberry lead you to find out more?

Obviously there's a lot of q's /thoughts there, the more you answer the more helpful it will be I know a lot of you love to share so let's gather all this info together

Thank you

TechCraze C0008DDD1

Atlanta, GA

1) Price really didn't have an influence on my purchase. I was going to get the Q10 at $199 but got a $100 trade in value for my 9900.

2) I definitely wanted to try the new platform. BlackBerry had a staling OS. I was looking for something a little different.

3)The only ads I saw were from last year's ssuperbowl. AT&T had a radio spot running about BB10 as well. These only got me more anxious than I already was.

4) EXACTLY!!

5) SEE #2

Posted via Q10
    02-11-14 07:56 PM
    Chicago, IL

I actually won my Q10. I originally wanted a Z30 but Sprint backed out on that AND the Z10. I wanted that when BB10 first released. I wanted this phone for efficiency. I saw the potential in QNX. There's still a lot more imo. I see cell phones as devices to help simplify your life. The faster and quicker I can do something, the better. I couldn't cope with the attachment limitations of the iphone and I didn't want a giant screened phone. I found iOS to be a little boring as well. I also didn't want a phone that would easily show wear and damage. The Q10 is a tank.

Posted with my Q10!
    02-11-14 08:05 PM
    I had a bold 9900 and the only new compelling offer was BlackBerry 10 I am a power user our IT is now deploying iPhone and Android but I refused to let go and allowed me on Active Sync every time they ask me to switch I say: can iPhone do that ? They say no I say get back to me when it can do it...
    BlackBerry 10 is the simply the only solution that suits my need I have no time losing opening and closing apps
    02-11-14 08:13 PM
    So I love the physical QWERTY offerings from BlackBerry and knew I wanted to give BB10 a shot before writing it off. I didn't want to purchase the device outright when it was brand new and AT&T ran a promotion that allowed me to get the Q10 for $75 on contract. I was suppose to only keep the device for the 14 days and then return it. But I ended up falling in love with it. Then, I thought that I was a bit unfair in my assessment of the Z10 without giving it a try. So I picked up one of those from eBay for a great price. Needless to say, I still have two lines -- one for my iPhone and one for my BB10 device.

I guess you can say the fact that I love BlackBerry led me to getting my first BB10 device. It surprised my that I enjoyed what BB10 had to offer, as I had previously grown bored of BBOS7 and figured BB10 would leave me feeling the same way. It didn't.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 08:21 PM
    I had a motorola RAZR and I hated the thing. I generally use a phone for browsing and communication and a little bit of gaming. The razr was ok at exactly 1 of those. For communication it was horrible. I tried every android keyboard out there and hated them all. I tried swype... hated it.

z10 did the things I wanted the phone to do. The keyboard was fantastic. The browser is blazing fast. And it has good games.

No brainer.
    02-11-14 08:26 PM
    Idk why...the only thing I know is that I'm stuck since 2007...why? keyboard, then got a z10...why? keyboard experience. Think in going to get an iPhone since I'm a photographer but don't have any decent app for my work in social network.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 08:29 PM
    Never had a smartphone before. Was drawn to the BlackBerry keyboard and went to get a legacy phone in 2011. The sales rep told me to wait until the new OS came out. When I saw the flicking features of the Z10 on TV I was sold and didn't even wait for the Q10. Since buying a Z10 at launch I've been impressed with the flow and speed of the UI. Maybe because I never had a previous smartphone, I found the gestures intuitive. The Z10 has been perfect for me. The recent 10.2.1 is just icing on the cake.

Posted via CB10
    BBFanatic4Life likes this.
    02-11-14 08:35 PM
    Hello everyone there and nice to meet you) ))
    I have some problems with my device BlackBerry Z10, I can't update him from May last year..... Can you help me?!!! Big thanks!!!
    Search the forums for installing a leak, or;

Buy a Canadian SIM card and put it in your phone. Then, go to settings > software updates > check for updates. It should give you the option to download a new OS version. Then, enjoy
    02-11-14 08:45 PM
    I got my first BB curve 8320 in 2008 because my daughter's coaches were always sending out last minute changes via email rather than texts and usually when I was driving the girls to a game. Why that phone? Loved the look of a BlackBerry - very cool. Price - well it was on contract and it wasn't expensive. Advertisement - one of the other mothers had one and I fell in love with it instantly Still in love with BlackBerry - lifelong commitment.
    02-11-14 08:47 PM
    I had Torch 9800,9810, my daughter got first 9900 then my wife z10 and I got my z10
    I loved them.
    I'm addicted to my Z10 and very proud!!!
    Oh and also I have 2 PlayBooks.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 08:57 PM
    Ive had a z10 for almost a year now ... bb10 just gets better and better . Its the most efficient phone I've ever owned

Toronto Canada

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App
    02-11-14 09:00 PM
    Answers bolded inline

I would like to know if those of you with a BB10 device, (referring to the first one you got) why did you get it? - See #4

How important/influential where the following factors? (also if you don't mind please include your location (just country/region is fine ) - USA

1) Price (more of a setback than a draw for some but you never know) - There was some consideration given but it was not a deciding factor

2) Trying out the device - This did not enter into my decision at all. I did have experience with BB10 on the Z10 (my wife's) but I had no way of trying out the Z30 when I purchased it. When I bought it I had to have the assistance of some great CB members to make it happen since it wasn't yet available here.

3) Advertisement (what kind did you see) - Not a factor. Previous BB owner and (obviously) a CB user

4) You are a BlackBerry fan and it was their latest offering, why wouldn't you get it - That had a lot to do with it but I also held out until the Z30 showed up because it was the closest I could get to my much appreciated 9810 experience without waiting for a BB10 slider device that may never show up. Z10 was too small to type on for me and the Q10 screen is too small for me

5) you felt it was time for something new - If by something new you mean a new BB phone, sure. If you mean a jump from a different platform, nope

Other

Did you feel that you learnt enough about BB10 from the adverts? - Not really. I pay little attention to adverts

Or did your past with blackberry lead you to find out more? - Absolutely
    02-11-14 09:03 PM
    I got the Z10 because I like smartphones and like to familiarize myself with all mobile operating systems up close. I'm in Maryland, USA.

1. Price - it wasn't a setback but it certainly wasn't a draw. I had mine imported from Canada before it was released in the US, which added to the cost of the device. I returned the devices that I got initially due to some problems that I had with them.

2. Yes, I wanted to try it out. I explained this more in my opening paragraph.

3. I knew more about the Z10 and BB10 from blogs rather than advertising. The only reason that I ever saw any ads was because of blogs.

4. I don't consider myself to be a BlackBerry fan at all.

5. As I said, I like to try different mobile operating systems. I didn't feel that it was time for something new, per se, as I'm quite satisfied with my Android phones.

Other - I had tried BlackBerry phones in the past and realized that I don't do well with physical keyboards. I wanted to try a touchscreen BlackBerry device to see if I would grow to like BlackBerry devices more; I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate BlackBerry devices. However, they are at the bottom of my list of preferences for smartphones.
    02-11-14 09:39 PM
    Well, there's more reasons than there have been responses (so far) and not enough time to cover them all.

I've used BB devices since the 6750 (2005?) and could give you a list longer than a rental truck agreement, from hardware toughness to data security (hint: with Android, the OS IS the security flaw) and platform openness (no proprietary hardware and no 'closed' ecosystems); but that's just for starters.

TO answer your specific questions:

... "Not really" since I have some leverage with my carrier and can get a pretty decent deal, regardless of what device I want

2) Trying out the device
    ... I migrated over to BB10 from legacy BBRY (Torch 9800/10 = OS6/7), so I was a little concerned with learning the "new way" of swiping and navigating, but I figured it's best not to psych yourself out with a lot of trying-out first. I did screw around with a few 'droid devices and actually own an old iphone (as an mp3 player only) and I hated both - but swiping proved easier to learn and use than I had feared.
    The ONE downside I figured out pretty quickly was that the new OS is missing many of the little quirks and features I really liked in the legacy-OS (like "timer-based device shut-down & start-up"), but they are/weren't "ab-so-friggin-lutely mission-critical" to me.

... As a guy whose livelihood IS in Marketing and Advertising, this was a concern to me, but I can separate-out the "marketing" from "MY need" for something. I DO expect that most people are the same way, but deep-down everyone wants to be "with the in-crowd" and there was NO Marketing or Advertising to give ANYONE the illusion that BBRY was coming back to "that" status. EVER.
    THAT plays to my more developed preference for the underdog, and the rebel in me rejoiced.

4) You are a BlackBerry fan and it was their latest offering, why wouldn't you get it
    ... Wouldn't go "quite" THAT far; though as a resident of, and professional working in, BBRY-town, I HAVE thought of my support of the platform and devices as a way of doing what I can for ALL the right reasons: helping my friends who work there keep their jobs as much as possible, keep a major employer in "my" town paying good wages, taxes and the local economy afloat, and supporting device & platform diversity as an option to the restrictive (ios), predatory (win), and clandestine (droid) ecosystems and platform providers.

HOWEVER: don't think for a second that I'd keep using BBs if a significantly better and just-as secure platform were to be available; yes, everyone else "thinks" the other platforms are 'better' ... but I think they only offer a 'more appealing' interface, or image/brand, or bigger apps-store ... but no REAL & Meaningful advantages.

... Didn't "feel" that way; kind-of came to that conclusion that it was fact. My old Torch was quickly no longer "doing it" for me and although I WAS hoping for a BB10 version of a touchscreen+hard-keyboard device, I recognized that "that" wasn't going to become an option.
    Despite originally clinging to my (imagined) requirement for both features in a slider device, I saw and held the Z30 ONCE .... and I was SOLD!
    Haven't looked back since. Absolutely LOVE this device - AND its "all touchscreen keyboard" - and think it's a crying shame it's getting passed by/over for MUCH lesser units for MUCH lesser reasons.

Other
    ... Not sure what more I can add here, except that "IF" you were thinking of getting a BBRY but are unsure, you shouldn't over-think it. ALL platforms and devices are prone to 'errors' and designs & setup (etc.) that don't work "for you."
    When I was in the store getting my device, a guy was trading in his iP4s because (paraphrasing here) "the POS never worked right, ESP. the browser connection (kept dropping) and crappy phone call-quality." Hey, everyone's experience is different.
    Once all those droid users become aware that Goo-gle is tracking EVERYTHING about their personal lives and data AND using that to make $Billions off it, some "may" decide it's time to leave ... but like all addicts to their poison, I suspect it'll be too hard to do that AND too late to boot.

Good luck with your survey; I hope you find the answers you need ...

Cheers!

I would like to know if those of you with a BB10 device, (referring to the first one you got) why did you get it?

How important/influential where the following factors? (also if you don't mind please include your location (just country/region is fine )

2) Trying out the device

Other

Obviously there's a lot of q's /thoughts there, the more you answer the more helpful it will be I know a lot of you love to share so let's gather all this info together

Thank you

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-11-14 09:43 PM
    One day I was sitting in the washroom(doing the number 2) with my BlackBerry curve and saw on the news the bb10 release the first appearance of the z10. Man was I ever excited. I read more info online about it But as it turned out, my BlackBerry curve will never wear out and die on me.

A few weeks later I was charging my curve and the wire kept coming loose on me, so I got mad and kept plugging the wire back in, but the charging port on my curve came off. Lucky me I get a new phone and I knew exactly what I wanted.
    The newly released z10 exactly on the week it was released ahahaha. Man that felt sooooo good. But I learned not to charge my phone too hard so the charging port on the phone doesnt come off.

Im a toronto canadian business student currently in highschool university next year (age 17) I love the business world though it may not influence how I choose my phones, I just love BlackBerry in general because its a beautiful brand and I have canadian pride.
    02-11-14 09:55 PM
    I'm in Ohio. I picked up a Q10 from Ebay last week. I've been interested in trying BB10 since it came out. I was a long time BlackBerry user, however, over the last few years I have used Android, iOS and WP8. My favorite phones are still the BlackBerry's from the 9930 to the Pearl. I'm using the Q10 but still have my iphone for a few apps until we get 10.2 on the Q10 for Verizon. Then I will decide if I can make this my single phone to use daily. I hope so. I love the form and the keyboard. I may also try the Z30 if I can get a good deal on one.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:03 PM
    I have a black Z10 and a black Q10 and a white Q10.

I switch between them all with one sim card.

I wanted the Q10 only, at first, because I thought it was coming RIGHT AFTER the Z10 on T-Mobile. I decided to get the Z10 because I wanted BlackBerry 10, and I had seen how great the keyboard was in video reviews, since it had been out for a while before T-Mobile carried it.

It's a really nice phone and I am glad it was my first phone with a touch screen. I sold my 9900s and 9810, and used ONLY the Z10 from late March until June when the Q10 launched. I really wanted a classic BlackBerry. The Q10 is everything I had hoped it would be. It's my favorite device.

I then got a white Q10 sent to me for free from BlackBerry last month, and have been using it almost exclusively. It's just as nice as the black one, and I keep it in a white hardshell case. I love BlackBerry 10, and I now feel as comfortable using it as I did with legacy devices, which I had like 14 of over the years. When I feel like using a touch screen phone, I use my Z10, and when I want to use a real keyboard and have better battery life, I use one of my Q10s.

The Z30 would be my next phone, but T-Mobile doesn't carry it, and BlackBerry doesn't sell it directly through their website. I love all my BlackBerry 10 devices. They are each special to me, and I wouldn't trade any of them for anything else out there.
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    02-11-14 10:08 PM
    got mine on the may of 2013, but maaan! the price! it hurts my wallet and disappointed with a sudden price down in months.
    i want something different. cause samsung and apple are too mainstream.
    advertisement? thru facebook when someone post an article about it. and i started researching about it and its features. ay 1st glance i know it'll be my 1st smartphone LOL
    02-11-14 10:12 PM

2) Trying out the device

Other

Thank you

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    The Q10 is my first BlackBerry, I bought it soon after its release. I was given looks and questions at verizon when I told them I was switching from an S3(just after the launch of the S4) to a Q10. Mine was sololy on trying something new.

I've come to the conclusion that the avg. Price for a on-contract verizon phone that won't die within weeks is atleast 200 so price was not a factor.

I would have to say that during the summer they did have a few Q10 commercials running frequently that caught my eye. BlackBerry was already on the top of my list as I was over Android, WP's don't appeal to me and I in no way will ever have the urge to try an IPhone.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:20 PM
    I got a z10 on contract on release date because I wanted one. Best phone on the market then and best phone now. Cape Town, South Africa.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:23 PM
    I bought a Q10 for my birthday last year, I wanted to try a smartphone with a keyboard and I saw a lonely Q10, lost in a iphone 5 forest, surrounded by a dozen of Galaxy S4.

I bought it. I'm faster to type on a virtual keyboard than on the Q10 keyboard, but I like it, it's a small phone, ideal when I get out with my friends and I do not need a map navigation or train schedules.
    02-11-14 11:22 PM
    What was the price of the q5 compared to the Z10 where you are? Here in the UK it's almost the same lol

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Compared to the Z10, there were no difference but I was not interested in a full touchscreen phone. I love keyboards. So I got the Q5 for 1� with a contract, the Q10 was 189�.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-12-14 01:55 AM
    To keep the pressure on top dog Apple. Competition in the marketplace is an overall good thing I'd say.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Heinz Katchup; 02-12-14 at 02:34 AM.
    02-12-14 02:09 AM
    Fresh OS. Excellent email productivity. Best MS exchange integration on market.
    As for your reasons: no. 2 and 5 were "the ones".

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 02:17 AM
98 1234