So I was in a business class today talking about corporations and my mind wandered a bit. if RIM were taken over by a company, would the company merge with RIM and RIM be no more? Or would both companies consolidate and create a new company all together? Would the Canadian government allow any company to buy RIM, or only if the buying company made certain deals with the government, like stay in Canada? Just a little discussion for those that enjoy business talk. I think most companies would merge and only use RIM's patents and products to benefit their name. Unless it was a company not yet in the smartphone tech business and in that case maybe they would start a new company altogether.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-12-12 04:23 PM
    Some do. Some don't. A lot of companies will say they will leave the operation as a "stand alone" business and guarantee staff entitlements and jobs. Then after the dust settles they quietly dismantle or absorb the victim, er, acquisition.

In this case I'd imagine RIM would be such a cheap buy that they maybe could stand alone with new owners. But most don't.
    04-12-12 04:29 PM
    I'm not sure! My business expertise is pretty low; so I don't know what to think about this. It'd be optimal if it never came to this (though it is hypothetical)... If it did happen though, it'd be good if RIM was able to still market itself as a brand product; and perhaps the company that bought it out would be "silent employers," so to speak.
    04-12-12 08:16 PM