NYT: Obama saying goodbye to BlackBerry? - The New York Times

i guess i won't be using email anymore on my blackberry.
    11-17-08 10:14 AM
    it's likely that its just not "secure enough" for the President of the US.The outgoing president stopped emailing entirely when he took office. All communications are stored and archived.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 10:22 AM
    Nothing is 100% secure. Even if there is a .00001% chance of a BB security hole, the pres cannot take that risk.
    11-17-08 10:33 AM
    Nothing is 100% secure. Even if there is a .00001% chance of a BB security hole, the pres cannot take that risk.
    Correct, he should not even be e-mailing...
    11-17-08 10:39 AM
    Haha like them hackers wanna see what page of CB your posting on

11-17-08 10:42 AM
    Everyone is telling him what's going on anyway why would he need to check his emails lol.
    11-17-08 10:43 AM
    I didn't read the article (don't intend to), but I wonder if he can have a personal phone just for his Fave Five?
    11-17-08 10:54 AM
    Lol! I think its a matter of them not wanting him to have something that could be a matter of public record and it subpoenaed to get that info.
    11-17-08 11:00 AM
    Bahahahaa....who the **** cares if the prez isnt usin his berry...or emailing or txt'g! If he aint emailin me i dont give 2 shi%s!! lol
    11-17-08 11:02 AM
    The president will have a cell phone stolen or lost phones are not the issue the National Security is worries about. email hacking is the press would have a field day preying on the President's personal life.
    11-17-08 11:04 AM
    Yeah... there is nothing more embarrassing than the President of the United States getting drunk and sending drunk emails to the wives of foreign nations leaders.

I would take his blackberry away too!
    11-17-08 11:17 AM
    This is the reason for the BB ban......
    Presidential Records Act (PRA) of 1978
    11-17-08 11:18 AM
    Let me know if you wish for me to text anything for you. We BBM every evening.

11-17-08 11:21 AM
    Also, having a phone that can trace your whereabouts is a huge security risk for him.
    11-17-08 11:24 AM
    I didn't read the article (don't intend to), but I wonder if he can have a personal phone just for his Fave Five?
    No he can not. He surrenders everything personal, credit cards, cell phones, probably even his drivers license.
    11-17-08 11:30 AM
    Don't be mislead, I think when it comes to everday joe schmoe's like you and me, we don't have to worry about a security breach on our blackberries. It's higher echelon's like the President that do!

I can see the point of not allowing the President to have a blackberry. I think a regular cell phone should be allowed though. Heck the President has all sorts of special phones in the white house and in satellite phones in Air Force one so he might not need a cell phone. BUT, a regular cellphone (non-PDA) should be allowed in my opinion.

From the article, I think that the President, starting with Obama, should have a laptop on his desk in the oval office. C'mon, I can't believe Bush hasn't had one in the past 8 years. That's just sad when it comes to 21st century technology standards. Of course the laptop would be the most secure like everything else inside the White House, so why not allow it?! He should have e-mail for internal gov't communication. If Bush hasn't, I'm surprised.
    11-17-08 11:32 AM
    Don't be mislead, I think when it comes to everday joe schmoe's like you and me, we don't have to worry about a security breach on our blackberries. It's higher echelon's like the President that do!

I can see the point of not allowing the President to have a blackberry. I think a regular cell phone should be allowed though. Heck the President has all sorts of special phones in the white house and in satellite phones in Air Force one so he might not need a cell phone. BUT, a regular cellphone (non-PDA) should be allowed in my opinion.

From the article, I think that the President, starting with Obama, should have a laptop on his desk in the oval office. C'mon, I can't believe Bush hasn't had one in the past 8 years. That's just sad when it comes to 21st century technology standards. Of course the laptop would be the most secure like everything else inside the White House, so why not allow it?! He should have e-mail for internal gov't communication. If Bush hasn't, I'm surprised.
    All of the over the air technology provided to and for the President is scrambled to prevent someone from picking it up on a scanner. Cell technology does not scramble. If you have an old scanner or an illegally modified scanner, you can pick up cell phone calls. Not good for Security.
    11-17-08 12:04 PM
    This is less a security issue (do you really think he'd be using standard frequencies and data services?) and more of an issue concerning the liquidity of email and electronic data. As was linked above, the PRA basically establishes that more or less anything and everything that comes in contact with the president including but not limited to things such as email and phone calls become public property. As such, email and it's kin is extremely easy to make disappear and thus extremely volatile .

The blackberry "ban" is less about security and more about retaining accountability and record. That being said, I figure we'll see a transition soon where the president (and government in general) will become more "e-friendly" and we'll likely see a blackberry or other device return to Obama's belt
    11-17-08 02:11 PM
    Will his family be able to have cell phones or are those taken too. If they are allowed to have them would it be just as bad as him having one

11-17-08 02:31 PM
    After reading this article I am really curious what the life of the POTUS really is like. I mean, come on: no mobile, no blackberry, no internet.

Does anyone know of any biography that describes the daily life of a POTUS?
    11-17-08 02:44 PM
    He's like a POW lol, o wait that was the other guy

I have an old school 7250 with the intentions to get a curve soon and since getting it ive come to rely on it more and more....O no its happening to me now
    11-17-08 05:04 PM
    You really wanna bet on national security? No, I don't think you did.

BIS and BEs use the BlackBerry data network and it is highly / very secure - for a corporation. National security is just a teensy weensy bit more sensitive.

At least, I think so and I am not even a US citizen and even worse, I live in Europe.

The NSA can walk through the BlackBerry network any time they choose. It is just a question of CPU ticks and a PhD in maths.

No commercial system that is generally available is of any use to the top echelons of government. A higher order of magnotude it required.

Frequency agile, burst transmission, stutter, variable bit rate encryption, zoned distribution and a number of other things that I had better not even mention are needed to keep the tech at NSA and other agencies happy.

BlackBerry security is good but worldwide and of no use to these people.

It took the Indian Givennment 4 months to crack the BlackBerry encryption. Need I say more?
    11-17-08 05:49 PM
    Too big of a target no way a pres can carry a phone.
    11-17-08 08:25 PM
    Just look at this way if he can't handle being without his BB then he can choose to not run for another term in office. I see why he is not allowed a BB or email in general.Remember the U.S. isn't the only country that employs a selected few of the Hackers they detain, (was I supposed to let that slip) anyway a phone of anysort BlackBerry or whatever can be cloned and the clone gets all the info, calls, email,texts everything the original get the clone gets too. I would love to get someone with the cell cloning technology to clone my phone so I can get my wife off my back and hand her a clone and tell her everything I get, it gets, read whenever you want I have nothing to hide from my wife. She just gets on my nerves lookin over my sholder and then constantly wanting to see what I just text or what someone text me.
    11-18-08 10:06 AM
    Point is everything (including email) written by president in office is puiblic record. So if he uses his berry then everything must be made public. Bush shut down his AOL account when he assumed the office for the same reason.

11-18-08 10:25 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD