"If the phone is lost, the IT department can immediately wipe the work side of the phone remotely, leaving the personal side alone in case the phone is found," the company's senior director for enterprise product management Jeff Holleran said in an interview with CBC News.�

As a user, I would much rather a complete device wipe. My job is important, but my daughter's photos, school address, pick up times etc are more so.

My present phone automatically backs up every night upon being plugged into a charger at home.

Lose. I immediately remote wipe entire device. Replace and restore if lost or restore if found.

No disadvantage for employer. In fact an advantage since the wipe will happen faster than opening a trouble ticket with corporate, or more likely leaving an answering machine msg that will be eventually dealt with. Big advantage for me.
    01-30-13 05:19 PM
    And that is why you could use BlackBerry protect on your side I assume...so if work confascated your phone for whatever reason you could wipe your personal data without destroying company property right?
    01-30-13 05:39 PM
    "If the phone is lost, the IT department can immediately wipe the work side of the phone remotely, leaving the personal side alone in case the phone is found," the company's senior director for enterprise product management Jeff Holleran said in an interview with CBC News.”

As a user, I would much rather a complete device wipe. My job is important, but my daughter's photos, school address, pick up times etc are more so.

My present phone automatically backs up every night upon being plugged into a charger at home.

Lose. I immediately remote wipe entire device. Replace and restore if lost or restore if found.

No disadvantage for employer. In fact an advantage since the wipe will happen faster than opening a trouble ticket with corporate, or more likely leaving an answering machine msg that will be eventually dealt with. Big advantage for me.
    welcome to crackberry!!!!
    01-30-13 05:40 PM
    i remember reading somewhere that they had the option work or both depending on the policy that is implemented on the device
    01-30-13 05:57 PM
    And that is why you could use BlackBerry protect on your side I assume...so if work confascated your phone for whatever reason you could wipe your personal data without destroying company property right?
    "BlackBerry Protect is not compatible with devices that use the BlackBerry Enterprise Server"
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/20844/
    01-31-13 02:56 PM
    This is correct. I'm testing BES 10. I have the option to wipe only the work partition or the entire device.
    01-31-13 04:21 PM
    This is correct. I'm testing BES 10. I have the option to wipe only the work partition or the entire device.
    What is the advantage of wiping only one partition? Presumably both the employer and the employee would like to prevent their data being accessed by whoever 'finds' the phone.

Wipe first, ask questions later. The user, being the first to notice the loss, is obviously in the best position to protect the data by immediately triggering a wipe.

Assuming of course you have complete, user intervention free nightly backups.
    BB10 makes this trivial, right?
    Right? Anyone... Right?
    01-31-13 05:56 PM
    i think the user would initiate the loss with their employer. Your employer probably doesnt give a rat's arse about your personal stuff. its company info they are worried about. what if you work for the military and have classified info on it? what if your competitor finds the secret on how you get the caramel inside the caramilk bar? Think of it a two phones. They wipe their phone while leaving yours alone

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 06:10 PM
    What is the advantage of wiping only one partition? Presumably both the employer and the employee would like to prevent their data being accessed by whoever 'finds' the phone.
    Scenarios:

1. You are fired together with your BYOD device. They wipe it before they tell you.

2. You want to quit but have employer-provided device. You wipe the personal side of it.

3. You're passing on the device to someone else.

4. ...
    01-31-13 06:26 PM

Wipe first, ask questions later. The user, being the first to notice the loss, is obviously in the best position to protect the data by immediately triggering a wipe.

Assuming of course you have complete, user intervention free nightly backups.
    BB10 makes this trivial, right?
    Right? Anyone... Right?
    If I were a part of a company that I was bringing in my BB10 phone into, I would not want them having ANY possibility or access to MY personal stuff. That is the point with Balance... It allows both employer, and employee, the peace of mind in know that they each have full control over the part they own.
    01-31-13 06:33 PM
    If I were a part of a company that I was bringing in my BB10 phone into, I would not want them having ANY possibility or access to MY personal stuff. That is the point with Balance... It allows both employer, and employee, the peace of mind in know that they each have full control over the part they own.
    You're joking right? If you don't understand that a corporate managed device is completely transparent to your employer, you are in for a rude awakening.

Two ways to go:
    A-Use Balance (or any other corporate managed smartphone), but understand that every keystroke is transparent to corporate. That may very well work for you.
    B-Buy your own separate device for personal use. Get some wireless data. Keep your private life off corporate devices and the corporate network. Use this phone in ant way you see fit.

Whatever you do, don't do A and act like you are doing B.
    01-31-13 10:24 PM
    Ability to disable Balance is on the BES10 roadmap. So if employees don't want to allow a personal partition - they can wipe the entire device in this case.
    02-01-13 12:38 PM
    You're joking right? If you don't understand that a corporate managed device is completely transparent to your employer, you are in for a rude awakening.

Two ways to go:
    A-Use Balance (or any other corporate managed smartphone), but understand that every keystroke is transparent to corporate. That may very well work for you.
    B-Buy your own separate device for personal use. Get some wireless data. Keep your private life off corporate devices and the corporate network. Use this phone in ant way you see fit.

Whatever you do, don't do A and act like you are doing B.
    Anything to back that up? I'm not saying you are wrong or that I am right, but I was under the understanding that the partition provided a sucure wall between personal and business.
    02-01-13 12:58 PM