Z10 and Z30 cameras are fine in the day light, you get pictures same quality as with iPhone, but when you need to use the flash.....

Sent from my Z 30
    ajst222 likes this.
    12-16-13 12:44 PM
    So the original poster stated the camera quality was the last thing holding him back from returning to BlackBerry. Well, I think that is not a valid concern...the camera, or more accurately the image processing system, is in par with most other phones out there. If pictures captured are so poor quality from. Bb10 BlackBerry than I submit you've got some photography skills to brush up on.
    There is ample evidence of excellent images on new BlackBerry phone in cracker run forums. Just search and you will see I stare the truth.

Posted via CB10
    BBPandy likes this.
    12-17-13 12:56 AM
    Z10 and Z30 cameras are fine in the day light, you get pictures same quality as with iPhone, but when you need to use the flash.....

Sent from my Z 30
    At this point I think it is mostly in the software and as some posters already eluded, expect good things from the new software updates. Who knows what a few tweaks can do?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-17-13 02:15 AM
    At this point I think it is mostly in the software and as some posters already eluded, expect good things from the new software updates. Who knows what a few tweaks can do?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    I think if it was a software issue they would have fixed it by now. It would be nice if it could be fixed with an update but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

The poor low light quality is one of the reasons I have decided to not upgrade from my Z10 to the Z30. I'm really hoping that the Z50(if it's a real device) will have a truly outstanding camera.

Z10 10.2.1.1055
    12-17-13 05:05 AM
    Here's my low light samples from my Q10.

If only they had good cameras...-cat-bath.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_00000180.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_00000425.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 05:15 AM
    Has it occured to anybody that uses z10/ z30 to compare with other phones that uses the same physical camera module? If I recall correctly (I think best to summon @ofutur since he knows more about this) that the modules used in the Zs are from Samsung? If anything, shouldn't it be compared to a phone using a similar camera module?
    12-17-13 06:11 AM
    I'm in love with my Q10 and Alpha C (same thing). I think this is the best phone out there for me. But the very only thing that I really want from Blackberry is a better camera.. And not just that. I really want to have the manual option. I would LOVE to be able to set the ISO, exposure time, F-stop etc

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 07:44 AM
    That's one of my only issues with BlackBerry devices. The cameras are usually sub-par compared to other platforms.

Posted via Q10
    12-17-13 07:58 AM
    I have no big complaint with the camera, I never felt it was inferior to the competition.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:48 AM
    Looking at pictures from the phones they look worse than my 9850.
    12-17-13 08:53 AM
    Camera quality of the Z10 is just fine in my opinion

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 09:22 AM
    Looking at pictures from the phones they look worse than my 9850.
    Post your best pic from your 9850 then. You can't look at a compressed photo on CB and say the camera quality is bad.
    12-17-13 02:52 PM
    Has it occured to anybody that uses z10/ z30 to compare with other phones that uses the same physical camera module? If I recall correctly (I think best to summon @ofutur since he knows more about this) that the modules used in the Zs are from Samsung? If anything, shouldn't it be compared to a phone using a similar camera module?
    I think the modules were from Omnivision, which also supplies the cameras for the iPhone I believe. The hardware specs on the camera are decent - 5 element f/2.2 lens, 8MP backside illuminated sensor. It should produce pictures. And it does, under good lighting. As others have mentioned, it's under less than ideal lighting conditions where the qualities drops significantly. I found in general, the pictures tend to come out underexposed (darker) when compared to others, which may indicate that it's a matter of software.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    12-18-13 12:50 AM
    So what. Even if BlackBerry magically had the best hardware nobody would buy it. Why? Because it's a "BlackBerry " it's old hardware,old man's phone. And the horrendous marketing won't find buyers. Am I right?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-18-13 01:12 AM
    So what. Even if BlackBerry magically had the best hardware nobody would buy it. Why? Because it's a "BlackBerry " it's old hardware,old man's phone. And the horrendous marketing won't find buyers. Am I right?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Hi Dave, what If Blackberrys lack of camera quality has eaten away at me for enough years that I am ready to say "I want a better quality camera in my next phone and I'm buying an iPhone "?

The lack of an update to the camera in the Z30 from my Z10 is one of the biggest reasons I decided to not buy a Z30 this Christmas.

It's not just about one thing that BlackBerry has to do better than they currently are. They need better cameras, better screen res, better build quality, better apps, better call quality, etc...

In my opinion, the picture quality is just one cog in the wheel. If BlackBerry makes enough cogs better, then maybe they have a chance at bringing people back from Iphone/android.

Z10 10.2.1.1055
    12-18-13 04:45 AM
    Here's my low light samples from my Q10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat bath.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	230789

Name:	IMG_00000180.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	230790

Name:	IMG_00000425.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	230793

Posted via CB10
    Geez, those are just awful ;-)
    I think I'm going to have to toss my z10 now I know about the useless camera. There I was taking shots and posting to my BBM mobile photog group all these months getting all types of praise from cross platform members...if they only knew how bad the z10 cam really is....

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 10:25 AM
    I think the modules were from Omnivision, which also supplies the cameras for the iPhone I believe. The hardware specs on the camera are decent - 5 element f/2.2 lens, 8MP backside illuminated sensor. It should produce pictures. And it does, under good lighting. As others have mentioned, it's under less than ideal lighting conditions where the qualities drops significantly. I found in general, the pictures tend to come out underexposed (darker) when compared to others, which may indicate that it's a matter of software.
    Thanks for replying. Does it make it a valid comparison of iPhone vs Z10/30 since both uses the same physical camera module? (assuming if it was actually the same module). Or it isn't the same, just the same company that ships both modules to 2 different companies?
    12-18-13 10:30 AM
    Camera quality of the Z10 is just fine in my opinion

Posted via CB10
    Because you don't know anything about cameras. You're a regular consumer who will not see the difference

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 11:15 AM
    Because you don't know anything about cameras. You're a regular consumer who will not see the difference

Posted via CB10
    insinuating that you know better won't do much better though. I suppose you can attempt to explain how or in what way, whatever (insert)'s pictures are better than the BlackBerry's pictures?
    12-18-13 11:45 AM
    insinuating that you know better won't do much better though. I suppose you can attempt to explain how or in what way, whatever (insert)'s pictures are better than the BlackBerry's pictures?
    Hahaha I'm studying pro photography since two years ago my friend. I know about ISO, exposure time, exposure bias, F-stop etc. A normal consumer doesn't know any of that. They just care if the pic is blurred or not, or if it's bright or dark. I'm not comparing a phone's camera with a pro camera either, but Blackberry is far behind in their camera technology compared to Samsung, Apple and Nokia which are its rivals

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 12:03 PM
    I've had shots from extremely good to awful with this camera. I think it's accurate what Blaze said that it works poor in low light.
    Here's some shots I took with my Z10.

If only they had good cameras...-img_20130917_192214.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_20131103_070227.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_20130642.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_00000377_hdr.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_00000335_hdr.jpg

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    bennelong likes this.
    12-18-13 12:41 PM
    Hahaha I'm studying pro photography since two years ago my friend. I know about ISO, exposure time, exposure bias, F-stop etc. A normal consumer doesn't know any of that. They just care if the pic is blurred or not, or if it's bright or dark. I'm not comparing a phone's camera with a pro camera either, but Blackberry is far behind in their camera technology compared to Samsung, Apple and Nokia which are its rivals

Posted via CB10
    Right, hence I did say perhaps you can attempt to explain...

or illustrate the point?

truthfully, i look at my wife's S4 Zoom (the one with the big *** lens) and I kinda like it being able to take some very clear shots, indoors and outdoors. But if you're gonna say its got bad stuffs in it, I won't know. All I know is that it doesn't create much "noise" or "artifacts" like older generation cameras do. That's all,but of course if we're going to compare it to like those cameras found in Nokia 6630 days... the difference is obvious. Though it somehow reminds me of SE cybershot series (the one that uses another symbian, not the Android version).
    12-18-13 07:22 PM
    Um...are you saying that's a fantastic shot...?
    Ummm, that is a fantastic shot indeed
    12-18-13 09:42 PM
    Thanks for replying. Does it make it a valid comparison of iPhone vs Z10/30 since both uses the same physical camera module? (assuming if it was actually the same module). Or it isn't the same, just the same company that ships both modules to 2 different companies?
    I'm not sure if it's the exact same module, but the specs on them are very similar. Hardware is only one side of the equation though, the software also plays a big part in how the pictures turn out.
    12-18-13 10:47 PM
    I'm not sure if it's the exact same module, but the specs on them are very similar. Hardware is only one side of the equation though, the software also plays a big part in how the pictures turn out.
    Yes. I agree. I was thinking if a car analogy but I think that may not fit in quite well. However, I feel that if the hardwaee is the same as they are using the same physical camera module, then it should be fair to asess both, since the differenciator would be which companh pushed the envelope further. I am inclined to think at this point after Nokia acquired the copmany bwhind timeshift the software side of the cameras have almost arrived to a standstill. Not much of major developments.
    12-19-13 06:50 AM
100 ... 234