Hello Crackberry members, I'm an old BB user, which jumped the boat after having a BB Storm 2, especially after RIM changed plans and decided that there would be no BBOS 6 for it.

I went for an Iphone 4S and have been happy ever since, but for the last months, and after a friend showed me a Z10, I've had, that internal desire to return to BB and use that wonderful OS BB10 seems to be, the only problem:

the camera.

I understand a smartphone is not intended to replace a camera, but anyways, It is one of my favorites hobbies to take pictures (some of them are pretty good), and like they say: "the best camera, it's the one you always have with you".

So I really hope that future phones have a worthy camera, or at least "Iphone 5 (my recently bought mobile) good" camera so I can once again, give blackberry phones a chance.

Thanks for reading and greetings from Yucat�n, M�xico.
    Last edited by neobeto86; 12-14-13 at 07:25 PM.
    12-14-13 07:04 PM
    Totally! Thank you for being honest. The camera of BB10 devices (and even BBOS devices) are of lesser quality than their competition. You know the camera needs an improvement when you need to edit nearly every photo taken in order for it to be presentable... and sometimes they're still not.
    wehttam and EddieAIG like this.
    12-14-13 07:10 PM
    If only they had good cameras...-img_00000026.jpg

This photo taken using Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055

I compare those photo taken using my fren's iphone 5s. In my opinion, the camera on BlackBerry is not too far away.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 07:11 PM
    I use my q10 camera in place of iphones a lot, my gf has a 4s and mine Is better in dark, with flash for sure

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 07:16 PM
    Does anyone have links to deep comparison of smartphone cameras?

I borrowed a Sammy S4 and can't say that my Z10 loses in picture quality.
    In my small test I found Z10 to have higher contrast pictures while S4 showed more light levels between dark and bright (more shades).
    S4 had somewhat washed out colors compared to BB which I didn't like.

S4 wins in picture resolution - when pictures are zoomed in then I saw more details.
    But that's not a decisive factor for me as I don't print photos off the phone, usually share through social networks.
    12-14-13 07:16 PM
    i wouldn't say it's of lesser quality. I've taken great stills with the z10 camera.If only they had good cameras...-img_00001489.jpgIf only they had good cameras...-img_00001508.jpg
    12-14-13 07:20 PM
    Does anyone have links to deep comparison of smartphone cameras?

I borrowed a Sammy S4 and can't say that my Z10 loses in picture quality.
    In my small test I found Z10 to have higher contrast pictures while S4 showed more light levels between dark and bright (more shades).
    S4 had somewhat washed out colors compared to BB which I didn't like.

S4 wins in picture resolution - when pictures are zoomed in then I saw more details.
    But that's not a decisive factor for me as I don't print photos off the phone, usually share through social networks.
    I don't have a link, but I did some extensive testing of the GS4 camera vs the Z10 camera (when I had the latter).

There was no comparison for me. The S4 took much better shots IQ-wise (better colors, better contrast and sharpness). They both suck in low light (too much noise) with the S4 leading a bit.
    12-14-13 07:20 PM
    It's true that the camera isn't as good as the iPhone 5+, but with some good effort understanding how the camera handles exposures as well as keeping it still I can manage some terrific shots even without filters. When filters are involved such as those in Photo Studio Pro or Instagram it's really more about the photographer's ability to compose and frame the shot.

As a result my friends regularly ask me to take group photos with my Z10 over their iPhones.

I do wish they would improve low light performance and tweek the default white balance a bit more.

Posted via CB10
    neobeto86 likes this.
    12-14-13 07:27 PM
    Thanks for all the replies, especially the ones in which you shared your pics, they are pretty good (more than I expected). Being honest to you, the reason that I think the Blackberry devices cameras aren't as good, is because most reviews say they are mediocre at best, and when you search for more info on the web, you mostly see: Nokia 808/Lumia 1020 as the best ones, and Iphone/Galaxy(zoom) in second places, sometimes you see the HTC One, but no BB device.

I do understand, there has been a general pessimistic view from the media for Blackberry, but as some other users have said, it would be interesting to read an article, written by knowledgeable people, which says which phones have really the best cameras.
    Last edited by neobeto86; 12-14-13 at 07:48 PM.
    Mr.mister and damien kupuku like this.
    12-14-13 07:32 PM
    Thanks for all the replies, especially the ones in which you shared your pics, they are pretty good (more than I expected). Being honest to you, the reason that I think the Blackberry devices cameras are'nt as good, is because most reviews say they are mediocre at best, and when you search for more info on the web, you mostly see: Nokia 808/Lumia 1020 as the best ones, and Iphone/Galaxy(zoom) in second places, sometimes you see the HTC One, but no BB device.

I do understand, there has been a general pessimistic view from the media for Blackberry, but as some other users have said, it would be interesting to read an article, written by knowledgeable people, which says which phones have really the best cameras.

There are plenty of camera samples out there that compare devices. Even CrackBerry has some in their Z10 review and they don't stack up to the competition.
    12-14-13 07:35 PM
    If only they had good cameras...-img_00000357_edit_edit.jpg taken with my z30

Sent from my Z30
    neobeto86, bekkay, ESCON and 6 others like this.
    12-14-13 07:52 PM
    Lol I started a thread like this a few months back. A completely valid complaint as the Z10 camera is not as good as the competitions.

However you are just going to get a bunch of screen captures with the response "taken with my (BB10 device)"
    And the whole "it's about the photographer and not the camera"

So all in all, the bb10 camera is perfect, your just a bad photographer is the response.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 07:59 PM
    Lol I started a thread like this a few months back. A completely valid complaint as the Z10 camera is not as good as the competitions.

However you are just going to get a bunch of screen captures with the response "taken with my (BB10 device)"
    And the whole "it's about the photographer and not the camera"

So all in all, the bb10 camera is perfect, your just a bad photographer is the response.

Posted via CB10
    He is

Sent from my Z30
    12-14-13 08:04 PM
    If only they had good cameras...-img_00000045.jpg

Taken with my z30

Sent from my Z30
    12-14-13 08:05 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000357_edit_edit.jpg 
Views:	872 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	230002 taken with my z30

Sent from my Z30
    Is that BlackBerry HQ?

Kidding!
    bekkay, Donvald, EddieAIG and 10 others like this.
    12-14-13 08:15 PM
    12-14-13 08:15 PM
    Is that BlackBerry HQ?

Kidding!
    Nope. It's nortel

Sent from my Z30
    gogurt48, potatoguy and JR A like this.
    12-14-13 08:36 PM
    When compared to my iPhone 4S my Q10 is better. However when compared to my sister's 5s it's not as good. BlackBerry made some huge strides in their cameras this year. I hope they continue to do this next year so they can catch up with Apple. As far as the Samsung S4 I find the Q10 to often have better pictures (not always) each has their own advantages depending on light & situation.

I think everyone can agree that when it comes to camera phones no one beats what's coming out of Nokia these days. That being said, those amazing photos also have HUGE files, making them awkward to manage on a mobile device.

I would suggest you check out the cameras on the latest BB10 phones, they may not be the best, but they are WAY better then that crap Bold 9900 camera.....I just hope BlackBerry believes that "ProSumers" want good cameraphones

Posted via CB10
    neobeto86 and Henraay0623 like this.
    12-14-13 08:52 PM
    Thanks!
    That aligns with my test on S4 (they did S3) - "Samsung's camera seems more whitewashed".

Btw, I tried timeshift feature on BB (I always thought it was a gimmick) and it was really useful on some occasions!
    BB advertises timeshift option usually by taking shots against adults which, imho, is a bad move.
    You could ask an adult to stay still and look into the camera.
    The case where I found TS useful is when you're taking pictures of children or moving objects.
    The long delay (compared to my Canon DSLR) between screen touch and actual snapshot make the timeshift feature quite useful.
    The only drawback that you need to select best shot right away - you can't save the sequence and switch to another scene.
    neobeto86, dusdal and BBPandy like this.
    12-14-13 08:56 PM
    Totally! Thank you for being honest. The camera of BB10 devices (and even BBOS devices) are of lesser quality than their competition. You know the camera needs an improvement when you need to edit nearly every photo taken in order for it to be presentable... and sometimes they're still not.
    Sorry but that is BS. I constantly Get compliments on my pics, especially on Facebook. Each leak has improved camera functions. I have never had to edit photos before sharing, let alone every photo as you claim.

Posted via Z10 featuring Channel C0031BD24 (UTB Subscribed)
    dusdal likes this.
    12-14-13 09:02 PM

if you know how to use the camera and its focus properly it takes fantastic shots.
    12-14-13 09:13 PM
    i wouldn't say it's of lesser quality. I've taken great stills with the z10 camera.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001489.jpg 
Views:	1927 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	229982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001508.jpg 
Views:	1911 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	229983
    mmmmmmmmm....bacon
    12-14-13 09:14 PM
    i wouldn't say it's of lesser quality. I've taken great stills with the z10 camera.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001489.jpg 
Views:	1927 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	229982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001508.jpg 
Views:	1911 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	229983
    Is that "Havest Bacon"?
    12-14-13 09:16 PM
    This pic is awesome!
    If only they had good cameras...-img_00000441.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 09:17 PM
    I really can't say that the camera is bad enough to stop someone from getting the device. Maybe the camera is not as good as its competition, but I can say in all honesty that it's really not that bad, or too far behind. I've taken great photos with the camera.

If only they had good cameras...-img_00001004.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_00000538.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_00000608.jpg

If only they had good cameras...-img_00000609_edit.jpg
    (NOTE: All of these photos are NOT edited, or modified in any way. These are raw from the camera.)

I also own an iPhone 5, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Maybe their cameras are better, but it really doesn't stop me from using my Z10's camera.
    12-14-13 09:21 PM
100 123 ...