If no Key 3, then I'm waiting for the Razer 3. The Razer 2 is a year old and great specs for $299.99If no KEY3, what will you get?-1575452040331.jpeg
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-04-19 03:34 AM
    If no Key 3, then I'm waiting for the Razer 3. The Razer 2 is a year old and great specs for $299.99Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1575452040331.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	446909
    The new Snapdragon 865 chip looks very promising and the Razer 3 will probably use a modified version of it to. I am really looking forward to the 2020 flagships, these smartphone chips are getting crazy powerful!
    12-05-19 03:56 AM
    The new Snapdragon 865 chip looks very promising and the Razer 3 will probably use a modified version of it to. I am really looking forward to the 2020 flagships, these smartphone chips are getting crazy powerful!
    Aren't they already powerful enough? What's an 865 gonna bring to your everyday experience that's SO much better than the 855 or even 845.... Or even the 835!

When people get excited about tiny upgrades like this and support these new slabs which aren't doing much more than their previous iterations, it encourages the OEM's to remain lazy and just keep going as usual with these marginal CPU upgrades and not much else...
    12-05-19 06:33 AM
    I agree with you there geek, only helped me so far. But ofcourse they will make it as easy as possible for you, so you keep sending data. But to get back to the topic, what to do when no keythree? Are there any physical keyboard phones which is not bb? Have to keep my keytwo le phone running as long as possible. My record for a blackberry is about 2 years. So got I hope another 2 to go, as only just recieved it
    the_boon likes this.
    12-05-19 06:56 AM
    Aren't they already powerful enough? What's an 865 gonna bring to your everyday experience that's SO much better than the 855 or even 845.... Or even the 835!

When people get excited about tiny upgrades like this and support these new slabs which aren't doing much more than their previous iterations, it encourages the OEM's to remain lazy and just keep going as usual with these marginal CPU upgrades and not much else...
    Nobody is being lazy, each chip upgrade brings faster and more efficient chips that can handle heavier loads in terms of Display, Video, Photography, AI, Gaming, Multitasking etc....

- Up to 144Hz Display Refresh Rate is now supported
    - 4K HDR and 8K @ 30FPS video is now supported along with live video using the Dolby Vision HDR standard support
    - The 960FPS slo-mo recording is now uncapped

Amongst a lot of other things like running a 5G modem efficiently.

These are pretty major upgrades as they will allow more powerful hardware to be added for photography and video, they will also allow better graphics in gaming as the chip can now handle heavier graphics loads without overheating etc... Meaning better quality games, along with smoother and faster phone UI.

These chip upgrades are especially great for things like Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Rush, as well as MS office apps.

Did you actually read up on it?

I mean if you don’t see any use in these new chips you could always go and get an old smartphone from 2010 running a 45nm chip and see how well that goes with modern apps.
    12-05-19 07:02 AM
    Nobody is being lazy, each chip upgrade brings faster and more efficient chips that can handle heavier loads in terms of Display, Video, Photography, AI, Gaming, Multitasking etc....

- Up to 144Hz Display Refresh Rate is now supported
    - 4K HDR and 8K @ 30FPS video is now supported along with live video using the Dolby Vision HDR standard support
    - The 960FPS slo-mo recording is now uncapped

Amongst a lot of other things like running a 5G modem efficiently.

These are pretty major upgrades as they will allow more powerful hardware to be added for photography and video, they will also allow better graphics in gaming as the chip can now handle heavier graphics loads without overheating etc... Meaning better quality games, along with smoother and faster phone UI.

These chip upgrades are especially great for things like Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Rush, as well as MS office apps.

Did you actually read up on it?

I mean if you don’t see any use in these new chips you could always go and get an old smartphone from 2010 running a 45nm chip and see how well that goes with modern apps.
    These sound very gimmicky and I feel like a very small percentage of owners of that hardware will make any use of it on a regular basis.
    12-05-19 07:11 AM
    These sound very gimmicky and I feel like a very small percentage of owners of that hardware will make any use of it on a regular basis.
    Then it’s not for you
    12-05-19 07:14 AM
    Then it’s not for you
    Are you gonna be putting any of the above that you mentioned to use if you upgraded to hardware that supports it?
    12-05-19 07:18 AM
    Are you gonna be putting any of the above that you mentioned to use if you upgraded to hardware that supports it?
    Yep!

5G - Yes- We already 5G trials going and my area is covered.
    Better video recording - Definitely, my iPhone XS Max is currently set to record 4K @ 60FPS so 120FPS is most definitely welcome, I absolutely love seeing butter smooth video and thanks to HEVC format the files are not too large.
    Better ISP - Definitely, I take a lot of photos, usually doing supercar spotting or maybe if I am seeing a nice view of something, I travel down to Cape Town a lot for work and that city has sooooo many photogenic areas it’s unreal.

I also watch a lot of video on both my phone and tablet, so supporting higher quality Displays and higher quality video means I’ll have better experience. My current Netflix package allows me to stream videos in 4K HDR so I want to experience this on every platform I watch on, be it my UHD TV at home, my tablet or my phone when traveling.
    12-05-19 07:31 AM
    Yep!

5G - Yes- We already 5G trials going and my area is covered.
    Better video recording - Definitely, my iPhone XS Max is currently set to record 4K @ 60FPS so 120FPS is most definitely welcome, I absolutely love seeing butter smooth video and thanks to HEVC format the files are not too large.
    Better ISP - Definitely, I take a lot of photos, usually doing supercar spotting or maybe if I am seeing a nice view of something, I travel down to Cape Town a lot for work and that city has sooooo many photogenic areas it’s unreal.

I also watch a lot of video on both my phone and tablet, so supporting higher quality Displays and higher quality video means I’ll have better experience. My current Netflix package allows me to stream videos in 4K HDR so I want to experience this on every platform I watch on, be it my UHD TV at home, my tablet or my phone when traveling.
    You're gonna need at least a 4500mAh to get that thing of thing through the day lol

And I'm not sure how 4K 60fps isn't enough
    12-05-19 07:42 AM
    You're gonna need at least a 4500mAh to get that thing of thing through the day lol

And I'm not sure how 4K 60fps isn't enough
    That’s just the thing, these newer chips do all that crazy work at a lower power draw.

I can record 4K @ 60FPS on my iPhone XS Max and barely lose battery while 720P @ 30FPS on my old 2010 flagship, the Xperia X10, would absolutely burn battery and leave me with a phone that is overheating.

That’s exactly the benefit of these so called “incremental” upgrades.

The apps are also being built with these newer chips in mind. Have you ever tried running an app like Snapchat on a 2014 flagship phone? I did this with my Galaxy Note4 and the thing heated up almost immediately, while my iPhone and Huawei P30 Pro will run Snapchat without even breaking sweat, thanks to their more efficient 7nm chips.
    12-05-19 08:09 AM
    That’s just the thing, these newer chips do all that crazy work at a lower power draw.

I can record 4K @ 60FPS on my iPhone XS Max and barely lose battery while 720P @ 30FPS on my old 2010 flagship, the Xperia X10, would absolutely burn battery and leave me with a phone that is overheating.

The apps are also being built with these newer chips in mind. Have you ever tried running an app like Snapchat on a 2014 flagship phone? I did this with my Galaxy Note4 and the thing heated up almost immediately, while my iPhone and Huawei P30 Pro will run Snapchat without even breaking sweat, thanks to their more efficient 7nm chips.
    I understand you, because I have the same reaction to the newest CPUs for my Windows and Linux workstations because of all the things they do better than the previous generation if CPUs.

But most consumers of PCs just use Web browsers, email, and a little Microsoft or light-weight photo and video software. They can't understand why I would spend $5-10K for a PC!

I think the same is true for smartphones. There are definitely a few million high-end smartphone users like you who really value the latest and greatest tech, but most people I know don't

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-05-19 08:27 AM
    I understand you, because I have the same reaction to the newest CPUs for my Windows and Linux workstations because of all the things they do better than the previous generation if CPUs.

But most consumers of PCs just use Web browsers, email, and a little Microsoft or light-weight photo and video software. They can't understand why I would spend $5-10K for a PC!

I think the same is true for smartphones. There are definitely a few million high-end smartphone users like you who really value the latest and greatest tech, but most people I know don't

I absolutely agree with this!

This is why I think going into the future we will probably see the mid end to low end smartphones continue to gain a lot more share as the high end stuff becomes more niche.

Apple has a good example of this, in 2018 their best selling phone was the iPhone XR and not the XS or XS Max and again this year it’s the iPhone 11 that is topping sales, not the 11 Pro or 11 Pro Max.
    12-05-19 08:33 AM

Well, so far I'm at 74 % after full charge yesterday at 3:30pm CST...and thays after a system update to November patch
    12-05-19 10:24 AM
    Have you ever tried running an app like Snapchat on a 2014 flagship phone?
    Forget 2014, I've tried running it on the Priv which is a late 2015 flagship phone and we all know how that performs lol
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-05-19 03:35 PM
    Well, so far I'm at 74 % after full charge yesterday at 3:30pm CST...and thays after a system update to November patch
    What phone is that?
    12-06-19 01:24 AM
    Forget 2014, I've tried running it on the Priv which is a late 2015 flagship phone and we all know how that performs lol
    Lol, exactly! That is using a chip built on a 20nm process which was a great feat just 5 years ago, but now even 10nm is old as we are on 7nm and next year we will get 5nm chips.

It’s insane how fast chip development has gone in the space of a decade where we started at 45nm.

The smaller they always these things the heavier the loads they can handle with as little heat and power draw being done.

I know Apple with the A12X chip in the iPad Pro 11 and 12.9 were being praised last year for having a mobile chip that is now performing at desktop levels, where design studios can actually buy iPad Pros and use them as they did laptops for their work, again, this is a 7nm chip, can you imagine what the 5nm A14X chip will do? Some YouTubers have actually successfully run their channels from the iPad Pro, using it to do video editing which is incredibly intense for a mobile device.
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 12-06-19 at 01:42 AM.
    12-06-19 01:29 AM
    Yes. Android phones become obsolete so fast because the code for the OS and apps gets bigger and more complex each year.

BB10 phones don't have that problem, unless you try to run Android apps on them. BB10 apps are still very quick and responsive. The lack of newer apps is the biggest reason to leave BB10 behind. Performance running native apps is not an issue.

12-06-19 03:39 AM
    It’s insane how fast chip development has gone in the space of a decade where we started at 45nm.
    Ok, yes, it's impressive. But after 5nm, then what?

At what point do they stop with the chipset upgrading (and slapping more camera lenses on phones) and move on to spending those big R&D bucks on form factor innovation (such as foldables...but hopefully sliders!!)
    12-06-19 11:49 AM

At what point do they stop with the chipset upgrading (and slapping more camera lenses on phones) and move on to spending those big R&D bucks on form factor innovation (such as foldables...but hopefully sliders!!)
    Human Molecular transportation is scheduled first and followed by mobile life supporting planetary creation. But it’s on the calendar.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    12-06-19 12:40 PM
    I'm at 2% at well over 48 hours after the first full charge. Not bad.
    12-06-19 04:30 PM

After 5nm is 3nm and from there 1nm and then we will enter pm (picometer) territory, where I am pretty sure our smartphones will be mini supercomputers. I once read that Moore’s Law sort of falls away after 5nm as things actually become a lot more expensive to do in 5nm production and beyond, but Samsung and Apple’s chip supplier, TSMC, both are planning to have 5nm chips out next year.

I am pretty sure they are all testing multiple form factors, but the real innovation these days is in chips, you can bring the best looking form factor but if it’s running on an old chip it’s probably going to tank.

In actual fact Chip R&D is what has lead to Foldables because chips have become smaller, faster and more efficient and have therefore allowed OEMs to fit in bigger Batteries, Foldable Designs, bigger and better Cameras as well as larger more advanced Displays into a smaller chassis.
    12-07-19 01:33 AM
    After 5nm is 3nm and from there 1nm and then we will enter pm (picometer) territory, where I am pretty sure our smartphones will be mini supercomputers. I once read that Moore’s Law sort of falls away after 5nm as things actually become a lot more expensive to do in 5nm production and beyond, but Samsung and Apple’s chip supplier, TSMC, both are planning to have 5nm chips out next year.

I am pretty sure they are all testing multiple form factors, but the real innovation these days is in chips, you can bring the best looking form factor but if it’s running on an old chip it’s probably going to tank.

In actual fact Chip R&D is what has lead to Foldables because chips have become smaller, faster and more efficient and have therefore allowed OEMs to fit in bigger Batteries, Foldable Designs, bigger and better Cameras as well as larger more advanced Displays into a smaller chassis.
    Rhetorical questions are supposed to be left unanswered!!!!!!!!!

LOL
    12-07-19 10:29 AM

We are fast approaching physical limitations on shrinking processes where quantum effects make further reducing sizes physically impossible. This is not an engineering issue that technology can solve. After that, the only way to improve performance will be larger processors or a completely different computational model, such as quantum computing.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2014...ts-of-physics/

anon(10387168) likes this.
    12-07-19 11:00 AM
    We are fast approaching physical limitations on shrinking processes where quantum effects make further reducing sizes physically impossible. This is not an engineering issue that technology can solve. After that, the only way to improve performance will be larger processors or a completely different computational model, such as quantum computing.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2014...ts-of-physics/

Weren’t articles like this written before Moore and his ilk made legends by disproving?
    12-07-19 11:09 AM
555 ... 1617181920 ...