Wow. I never thought I'd ever read about having a respected opinion on CB... thanks! Lol

I've been buying up every BlackBerry that gets released as if they were Pokemon, but the end of new BlackBerry hardware has me moving in a more fiscally responsible direction. After the Titan, I'm going to give the ole wallet a chance to heal.

I want a stock Android experience with no bloat in my daily driver so I've started using my Pixel 3 a bit more around the house as a Wi-Fi only device. The only thing that stopping me from commiting to it is the fact that's it single SIM.

I was so thrilled when TCL started releasing dual SIM BlackBerrys. It changed my life. Unfortunately if I go with the Pixel 3, I will have to go back to dual carrying

As for my football team... technically, since I'm from Toronto, I should be cheering for the Argos. But Toronto is notorious for being too snobby for the CFL! So instead, I'll see you on MNF where Jimmy G and friends will show the world why the Niners are the only undefeated team left in the NFL!!!
    Anxious to hear your views on the Titan. I've always wanted dual sim but AT&T is a jealous God.

Awesome game btw
    11-17-19 12:01 PM
    Interesting. Compact like a slider. I'll keep an eye on it too. Motorola still a US company?
    No Google bought the mobile hardware division then sold it to Lenovo several years ago.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-17-19 07:40 PM
    Mediamarkt! Only the black version, the silver edition is still around 500-600 euro.
    Thanks
    11-18-19 08:02 AM
    Anxious to hear your views on the Titan. I've always wanted dual sim but AT&T is a jealous God.

Awesome game btw
    That was a crazy game! Both teams were doing everything they could to give it away. The rematch at CenturyLink is gonna be wild!

I fully expect the Titan to disappoint in many spectacular ways. Keeping my expectations nice and low!
    11-21-19 06:33 AM
    That was a crazy game! Both teams were doing everything they could to give it away. The rematch at CenturyLink is gonna be wild!

I fully expect the Titan to disappoint in many spectacular ways. Keeping my expectations nice and low!
    Start with celebrating if and when it actually ships...
    11-21-19 08:34 AM
    Start with celebrating if and when it actually ships...
    There is no "if", but only "when" .

UniHertz regularly sends e-mail updates about the status of their Titan.

Should start shipping any day now...
    11-21-19 09:21 AM
    There is no "if", but only "when" .

UniHertz regularly sends e-mail updates about the status of their Titan.

Should start shipping any day now...
    I fully expect folks will be getting it very soon.

Hopefully they get good reviews and the sales pick up.

For now I expect most PKB lovers will stick the the KEY devices, but it's nice that there is someone willing to risk it with the Titan.
    11-21-19 10:43 AM
    I fully expect folks will be getting it very soon.

Hopefully they get good reviews and the sales pick up.

For now I expect most PKB lovers will stick the the KEY devices, but it's nice that there is someone willing to risk it with the Titan.
    But will it ship with cargo pants that have dedicated reinforced pockets for that 303g thing
    11-21-19 10:47 AM
    Android doesn't let you distinguish between different accounts in the Hub, individual contacts across all apps, and different work contexts for all notifications (just normal, priority, and off).

It's a one size-fits all approach that's great for the masses and awful for real power users.
    Android's notification system is pretty robust. Notification channels allow you to hone in on the notification types you want to see from particular apps (just look at the notification granularity an app like Facebook gives you). You can have aggressive or passive notifications. And then you have the ambient display options to allow you to see what you want to see even when not using the phone. Plus, you can add a smartwatch that further allows you to hone in on important notifications.

Maybe BlackBerry's Hub doesn't allow you to distinguish between accounts but that is BlackBerry's fault (I don't use it so not sure how customizable it is), not Android's. Apps like Nine let you customize notifications for different accounts - I have 5 email accounts setup with different notification options. Notifications can be different colors, have different icons, use different sounds (or no sound), notify in groups or individually, notify by folder, etc. There are plenty of options for customizing email.
    Last edited by robnhl; 11-21-19 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    11-21-19 11:08 AM
    Android's notification system is pretty robust. Notification channels allow you to hone in on the notification types you want to see from particular apps (just look at the notification granularity an app like Facebook gives you). You can have aggressive or passive notifications. And then you have the ambient display options to allow you to see what you want to see even when not using the phone. Plus, you can add a smartwatch that further allows you to hone in on important notifications.

Maybe BlackBerry's Hub doesn't allow you to distinguish between accounts but that is BlackBerry's fault (I don't use it so not sure how customizable it is), not Android's. Apps like Nine let you customize notifications for different accounts - I have 5 email accounts setup with different notification options. Notifications can be different colors, have different icons, use different sounds (or no sound), notify in groups or individually, notify by folder, etc. There are plenty of options for customizing email.
    No no no no, this is CrackBerry, the LED light is the ONLY thing that will do. Get out of here with your crazy new ideas!

- Ambient Display? Sacrilege!! BlackBerry don’t do it and therefore doesn’t matter to us, we don’t want it. LED only!
    - Smartwatch? How dare you come with that witchcraft! LED only!
    - Nine? It’s not BBOS and it’s not BB Hub, therefore we don’t want it!

Enough of your jibberjabber!
    Go play your games on your slab with 20 cameras!

#BringBackBB10

/s
    11-21-19 11:29 AM
    No no no no, this is CrackBerry, the LED light is the ONLY thing that will do. Get out of here with your crazy new ideas!

- Ambient Display? BlackBerry don’t do it and therefore doesn’t matter to us, we don’t want it. LED only!

/s
    Next thing you know some people here will advocate carrying a separate LED just for notifications. I can see it now:

Why would I want to use the built in "toy" LED when I can carry a professional 1600 lumen bulb with me everywhere I go? I already have a bag to carry my GPS, camera, MP3 player, TV, and portable Blu-ray player. What's one more thing?

LOL
    Tsepz_GP and Bbnivende like this.
    11-21-19 11:36 AM
    Next thing you know some people here will advocate carrying a separate LED just for notifications. I can see it now:

Why would I want to use the built in "toy" LED when I can carry a professional 1600 lumen bulb with me everywhere I go? I already have a bag to carry my GPS, camera, MP3 player, TV, and portable Blu-ray player. What's one more thing?

LOL
    When kids (30 years ago) were little I had a PS Camera, and DSLR with a few lenses and a flash unit and a VHS Video camera with a case that held blank tapes and spare batteries (full VHS, not the mini one that I had later) that we took on vacation... Which is why I now have a back that acts up on me from time to time... To have had back then what we have today.....
    Laura Knotek and Tsepz_GP like this.
    11-21-19 02:31 PM

LOL
    Just quadruple carry and everything’s fine
    11-21-19 03:37 PM
    When kids (30 years ago) were little I had a PS Camera, and DSLR with a few lenses and a flash unit and a VHS Video camera with a case that held blank tapes and spare batteries (full VHS, not the mini one that I had later) that we took on vacation... Which is why I now have a back that acts up on me from time to time... To have had back then what we have today.....
    Many people agree with you that small and convenient is great. A few of us believe that it's better to have the best tool for the job. A lot depends on context. I don't shoot pictures of my family daily. I do it 4-6 times a year and bring a great DSLR to the party. Further, I don't post any photos to a platform that I don't fully control, so the camera on my phone is just for ID checks, recording parking meter locations, dents on rental cars, etc.

For that, it's great to have a handy camera on my phone, but any camera on any phone I've ever owned is good enough.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-21-19 03:38 PM
    Many people agree with you that small and convenient is great. A few of us believe that it's better to have the best tool for the job. A lot depends on context. I don't shoot pictures of my family daily. I do it 4-6 times a year and bring a great DSLR to the party. Further, I don't post any photos to a platform that I don't fully control, so the camera on my phone is just for ID checks, recording parking meter locations, dents on rental cars, etc.

For that, it's great to have a handy camera on my phone, but any camera on any phone I've ever owned is good enough.

Shoot pictures of kids? Mine take selfies and text ME the picture. Being a parent is SO easy now.... LMAO
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Bbnivende like this.
    11-21-19 03:42 PM
    Just quadruple carry and everything’s fine
    What would the average CBer carry? My guess: a 9900, Passport, PRIV, and an iPhone 5.
    11-21-19 03:56 PM

- Ambient Display? Sacrilege!! BlackBerry don’t do it and therefore doesn’t matter to us, we don’t want it. LED only!
    - Nine? It’s not BBOS and it’s not BB Hub, therefore we don’t want it!

Enough of your jibberjabber!

#BringBackBB10

[IMG=500x368]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/e722e10230b9186ef0d21a0b0b45d7b2.jpg[/url]

/s
    Lol who has anything inherently against smartwatches or AOD?

It's just that if we consider them notification LED replacements, then they don't come without their own drawbacks:

-AOD drains way way more battery than a simple LED

-Smartwatch is something extra that needs to be charged almost daily (and it's a separate purchase!)

When I look at the battery stats screenshots of people's Pixel phones on AC forums, often the "Ambient display" is quite up there as a battery guzzler.
    Even if it's 1% an hour, over a typical 16 hour day, that's 16% of your battery life lost just to have a few pixels on the display light up.
    Meaning it's as if you'd start the day with 84% without AOD.
    11-21-19 05:36 PM
    So many people want to maximize the screen size on their devices. I like devices to be either smaller than 5 inches or larger than 8. I have no use for anything in between and would rather a 5 inch screen still leave room for an LED (and no notch).

11-21-19 07:35 PM

It's just that if we consider them notification LED replacements, then they don't come without their own drawbacks:

-Smartwatch is something extra that needs to be charged almost daily (and it's a separate purchase!)

When I look at the battery stats screenshots of people's Pixel phones on AC forums, often the "Ambient display" is quite up there as a battery guzzler.
    Even if it's 1% an hour, over a typical 16 hour day, that's 16% of your battery life lost just to have a few pixels on the display light up.
    There's no way ambient display is using 16% of a fully charged battery. Especially not on an OLED device. It uses only the faintest CPU and lights almost no pixels, relative to the entire screen.

And a watch is just a way to extend things. Not required, obviously, but it is an example of the robust nature of the notification system.
    Last edited by robnhl; 11-21-19 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Additional point
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    11-21-19 08:32 PM

I understand very well how Android sets up notifications. It offers lots of flexibility for which notifications one receives, but not for HOW we receive them. My fundmental.problem is the notification tray itself. It's a "push" mechanism that does not respect my desire to only "pull" notifications on MY schedule. I want to be able to pull up notifications when I want without seeing them until I choose to do so. BB10 manages that easily, but Android insists I use the tray.

After two years of experimentation, I've concluded that Android just can't address my desire to avoid "push" notifications while still enjoying a universal inbox and informative screen-off color-coded notifications.

A lot of people seem satisfied with Android's approach, so I don't expect it to get any better for me.

11-21-19 08:33 PM

Pixel phones are a minority in the smartphone world and not a good measure of AOD by any stretch of the imagination. Samsung Galaxy S10, Note10, Huawei Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro etc... all use AOD to and it barely dents battery life. It’s battery usage is negligible these days. Also battery stats can be very misleading, as “Phone Idle” or “WiFi” can appear as a huge battery hog if your phone stayed in your pocket most of the day and did nothing else, so are you going to freak out by that and turn your phone off to ensure those things don’t eat what is negligible battery life? Nope. AOD is far more functional than a paltry LED and uses little power when done properly. Phones like the S10 and P30 easily outlast something like a Key2 in battery life anyway, and they charge faster than it to.

Are you also aware of the fact that AOD turns itself off the moment it senses that the phone is in your pocket? So while it’s not needed it not there, it only reappears the moment you pull the phone out and happens so quickly that by the time you look at the phone it’s back on the display.

SmartWatch, up to you if want it, doesn’t need a daily charge, some last 1.5weeks or more depending on requirements, oh and many phones are now coming with deals bundled with a Smart Watch anyway so you don't always have to buy it separately, my Huawei Band 2 Pro came with the P30 Pro when I attended the P30 Pro launch.
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 11-22-19 at 12:47 AM.
    11-21-19 10:40 PM
    Pixel phones are a minority in the smartphone world and not a good measure of AOD by any stretch of the imagination. Samsung Galaxy S10, Note10, Huawei Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro etc... all use AOD to and it barely dents battery life. It’s battery usage is negligible these days. Also battery stats can be very misleading, as “Phone Idle” or “WiFi” can appear as a huge battery hog if your phone stayed in your pocket most of the day and did nothing else, so are you going to freak out by that and turn your phone off to ensure those things don’t eat what is negligible battery life? Nope. AOD is far more functional than a paltry LED and uses little power when done properly. Phones like the S10 and P30 easily outlast something like a Key2 in battery life anyway, and they charge faster than it to.

Are you also aware of the fact that AOD turns itself off the moment it senses that the phone is in your pocket? So while it’s not needed it not there, it only reappears the moment you pull the phone out and happens so quickly that by the time you look at the phone it’s back on the display.

SmartWatch, up to you if want it, doesn’t need a daily charge, some last 1.5weeks or more depending on requirements, oh and many phones are now coming with deals bundled with a Smart Watch anyway so you don't always have to buy it separately, my Huawei Band 2 Pro came with the P30 Pro when I attended the P30 Pro launch.
    That's great if you keep your phone in your pocket.

But honestly, the whole point of the LED is that I can leave my phone on my desk or a table out if arm's reach and clearly see the LED flash, even at an oblique angle.

There's nothing wrong with AOD, but it's not a substitute for a good LED-based notification light for me.

11-22-19 12:12 PM
    I ordered the Unihertz Titan via Kickstarter which is expected to ship sometime in December. I was hoping to stay with BlackBerry but my KeyOne is starting to fail and upgrading to a Key2 at this point doesn't seem worthwhile.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-23-19 06:27 PM
    Whatever the benefits of smartphones since the iPhone, increased productivity at work is not one of them.
    Including BB10 devices.
    11-24-19 03:15 AM
    Including BB10 devices.
    I would agree with that. I think the original BB devices absolutely increased productivity for a few million professional people in enterprise settings, but BB10 brought nothing new to the party.

In my own experience between 2004 and 2007, my ability to respond to my team of several hundred people across five offices in different time zones in real time meant they didn't have to wait up to a day for me to get back to my office and send an email. I would spend 6-8 hours in meetings and was constantly traveling.

However, compared to the HUGE productivity gains that came from use of electronic spreadsheets, databases and email in the 1980s and 90s, none of the mobility tools have been very significant in terms of overall economic productivity. We've seen a slowdown of productivity gains over the past decade that does not bode well for our standard of living.

idssteve and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-24-19 04:03 AM
555 ... 1011121314 ...