Many of the best things in the world aren't a big thing for the general population. But many of us don't want to live our lives based on the lowest common denominator of mass consumption. If we decide that popularity is the same as quality we will miss out on a lot of the best things that human civilization has to offer.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    This is hands down the most poetic way anyone has ever justified the need for a device you can use with one hand. I was going to have "loving husband and father" printed on my tombstone one day, but this is so much better!

... one of the main reasons I wrote off the titan is because I couldnt use my passport very well with one hand. Although I loved the device, that got really annoying.
    11-10-19 11:30 PM
    True, but if you want a keyboard, even the best, most updated slab in the world won't cut it
    Yeah, you're definitely not wrong, but I'm thinking (resolved to the fact) that it just might be the time to pull the bandaid off and move forward. If the K2 is truly the last BlackBerry PKB phone, then I might as well start getting used to a slab. Still have my fingers crossed for a K3, but it doesn't seem to be lookin' good.
    11-10-19 11:36 PM
    A porsche design PP9982. I'll leave this on show wherever i sit and keep a cheap android in my back pocket for the other stuff
    11-11-19 12:02 AM
    To many, they would rather jump to slab than to have an unsatisfactory BB experience.

That makes sense in a way.

But to me, I'd rather have a "GhostBerry" or a "MockBerry" than NoBerry.

It's still something, better than nothing.
    If I did not have the Passport as my first phone to set the bar so high and if have not spent the last few weeks tweaking it to work as my daily driver. If I did not have a Oneplus 3T that works so well still today, updated to Android PIE, then perhaps I would settle for a less then what I consider a premium Blackberry experience.

Currently running my Passport again and it's work to do so but what an experience it is. I can compose a document on my Passport easier then on my laptop. The keyboard is crazy fast and comfortable to use.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 11-11-19 at 03:05 PM.
    11-11-19 06:59 AM
    We cannot provide everything for everybody. The “we” you speak of don’t have the voice or the means, in numbers, to allow for all their wants to be met. We all have to compromise. There are lots of things I think should/could be different but that doesn’t mean they are overall better nor that they are sustainable. We’re not talking human rights here, we’re talking technology.
    You keep saying or implying that I expect the market to cater to my needs. I don't. I just refuse to use products that don't work for me simply because they are popular. Just because Android and iOS are dominant now doesn't mean they are the best for everyone. I understand why most people prefer them. But that doesn't mean I have to.

Let's not reduce our discussions to the tired old trope that BlackBerry lost and Apple/Android won. Tech is much more interesting than that reductionist idea.

BB10 is fundamentally different from iOS and Android in the way it integrates PIM functionality into the OS and prioritizes it over other apps. After all, secure integration with MS Exchange, Lotus Notes, Groupwise, etc. had been BlackBerry's main value proposition as an enterprise messaging company.

The mass market cares more about a balanced experience where media, games and scrolling social feeds have equal importance and are very happy to have email, contacts, calendar, etc., be just normal apps with equal control and notifications. That's great for them, but it's a severe drawback for a minority of users who really benefit from BlackBerry's old school approach.

11-11-19 08:50 AM
    A porsche design PP9982. I'll leave this on show wherever i sit and keep a cheap android in my back pocket for the other stuff
    ^^ This is my attitude. The great thing about most Android apps is that they are pretty much the same experience on any device, especially if you don't care about the camera or screen quality. My Z10 is useful and helps me make more money than my KEYone can. The KEYone is a great, fun, conversation-starting second phone, and I may keep it for another 2-3 years until the apps I use don't work on Oreo.

11-11-19 08:55 AM
    You keep saying or implying that I expect the market to cater to my needs. I don't. I just refuse to use products that don't work for me simply because they are popular. Just because Android and iOS are dominant now doesn't mean they are the best for everyone. I understand why most people prefer them. But that doesn't mean I have to.

Let's not reduce our discussions to the tired old trope that BlackBerry lost and Apple/Android won. Tech is much more interesting than that reductionist idea.

BB10 is fundamentally different from iOS and Android in the way it integrates PIM functionality into the OS and prioritizes it over other apps. After all, secure integration with MS Exchange, Lotus Notes, Groupwise, etc. had been BlackBerry's main value proposition as an enterprise messaging company.

The mass market cares more about a balanced experience where media, games and scrolling social feeds have equal importance and are very happy to have email, contacts, calendar, etc., be just normal apps with equal control and notifications. That's great for them, but it's a severe drawback for a minority of users who really benefit from BlackBerry's old school approach.

The mass market (and me included) can manage e-mail and calendar just fine on Android, and without missing out on many, many essential apps.

Those who never knew BB10 don't feel like they're missing out anyways.

And those who do find out about what it has to offer would have to dual carry a BB10 device with an Android/iOS device anyways.

So you keep saying that e-mail management on BB10 is so superior, which I could believe.

But I also just can't see what's so bad about the way it's set up on Android, and especially with the Android Hub and when the device you're using it on has a notification LED.

Sure, the colors won't rotate, but it's better than iOS that doesn't have it at all.

If I needed to manage multiple addresses, I'd probably enable the Hub and use it as intended.
    But for me right now it's more of a useless battery drain than a useful tool.
    11-11-19 09:08 AM
    The mass market (and me included) can manage e-mail and calendar just fine on Android, and without missing out on many, many essential apps.

And those who do find out about what it has to offer would have to dual carry a BB10 device with an Android/iOS device anyways.

So you keep saying that e-mail management on BB10 is so superior, which I could believe.

But I also just can't see what's so bad about the way it's set up on Android, and especially with the Android Hub and when the device you're using it on has a notification LED.

Sure, the colors won't rotate, but it's better than iOS that doesn't have it at all.

If I needed to manage multiple addresses, I'd probably enable the Hub and use it as intended.
    I hear you. The issue for me is simply that, if I want to prioritize communications in certain channels or from certain individuals using the Android Hub, I can't, because Android doesn't distinguish between different messages in the Hub and treats them all the same.

Since Android controls notifications, it's just not possible to, say, set communications from a hot prospect to ring a special alarm whether it's a phone call, text, email or BBM message.

That's just one example. Another is when I'm working at a client's office and ONLY want to respond to emails from one particular account. In BB10 I can leave my screen off and trust that I'll see the LED blink in a particular color if I have an unread message for a specific account. On Android, I have to either constantly check the screen or hope I'll see the colored LED I'm looking for before the next message arrives and changes the color.

I'm sure that's not a big deal for most people, but that level of visibility with minimum distractions makes me much more effective and is definitely worth double carrying or simply not using mainstream apps.

11-11-19 09:18 AM
    If you want the colours of the LED to rotate you simply need to install Light Flow Notifications from Google Play and setup each app or contact individually. You can set the tone for the notification also if you choose. I do not rely on the HUB on android for my notifications but the app that is plugged into it or Light Flow.

TgeekB likes this.
    11-11-19 03:12 PM

Many, many businesses around the world get by just fine with Android or iOS. They are efficient and productive. That is fact.
    Some just chose a different path.
    11-11-19 05:07 PM
    If you want the colours of the LED to rotate you simply need to install Light Flow Notifications from Google Play and setup each app or contact individually. You can set the tone for the notification also if you choose. I do not rely on the HUB on android for my notifications but the app that is plugged into it or Light Flow.

I like to use Light Flow Legacy because it works without having the permanent notification dot on the top left of the display.

So the rotating really works on the regular Light Flow??

Looks like BB10adopter111 can finally ditch that old clunker of a ZedTen and embrace Android!
    11-11-19 07:12 PM
    I like to use Light Flow Legacy because it works without having the permanent notification dot on the top left of the display.

So the rotating really works on the regular Light Flow??

Looks like BB10adopter111 can finally ditch that old clunker of a ZedTen and embrace Android!
    Seems to work for me. I can watch it change three different colours and know if I need to check my phone.
    I have also had a colour assigned to a contact. Sometimes the settings need a reboot to take effect but not always. Hope it works for you
    11-12-19 06:36 AM
    Seems to work for me. I can watch it change three different colours and know if I need to check my phone.
    I have also had a colour assigned to a contact. Sometimes the settings need a reboot to take effect but not always. Hope it works for you
    I'll give it a shot then. I thought this was impossible on Android
    11-12-19 07:28 AM
    Many, many businesses around the world get by just fine with Android or iOS. They are efficient and productive. That is fact.
    Some just chose a different path.
    Just because there are only two choices your point really doesn't carry much weight lol.
    I would have to say that BB10 was more productive and in my own opinion more so with the Passport. Fast forward to today with only two choices being Android and iOS? Ya, I guess so..... I mean sure, what else can we possibly compare it to today that has the support?

tazcubed likes this.
    11-12-19 12:04 PM
    Are businesses suffering? Are workers not productive?
    11-12-19 12:16 PM
    Are businesses suffering? Are workers not productive?
    Most of the data suggest yes. workplace productivity has stagnated over the past few years, in marked contrast to the period from the mid 1990s to the mid 00s. There is no evidence that mobile tech since 2007, when the iPhone was launched, has contributed to productivity.

People are spending more time on their mobile phones, but there's no evidence that employers are benefiting, which is one reason some are looking at pulling support for BYOD.
    11-12-19 12:54 PM
    How so?

To me it's the same notification banners on the top of the display that require you to awkwardly stretch your hand to reach them.
    Why reach up when there is Reachability?
    11-12-19 02:34 PM
    I receive hundreds of messages a day across two personal and five professional accounts. At any point in time I only care about 1-3 of them. On Android, I have to scan my notifications with the screen on hundreds of times a day to know what's come in. On my BB10 phones I can leave the screen off and rely on the color of the LED to know if I have to pick it up.

The LED, plus BB10's unlimited notification profiles and contact-level notification overrides allow me to stay focused on productive work rather than being a slave to my handset.

Maybe you’re just easily distracted then.

My iPhone and Watch can go off with notifications and I can ignore them all day until I want to actually look.
    But if I do want to change that, iOS allows customization of notifications per app.
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 11-12-19 at 02:52 PM.
    Eumaeus likes this.
    11-12-19 02:35 PM
    *slow clap*

Most of the iPhones that are available today from Apple aside from maybe the 8 are too big for an average person to reach the top without changing the position of their hand (something that increases the chances of dropping it).
    But there’s Reachability...
    Swipe down at the bottom and the screen slides down to allow you to click what you want as per below:
    11-12-19 02:42 PM
    Maybe you’re just easily distracted then.

My iPhone and Watch can go off with notifications and I can ignore them all day until I want to actually look.
    I think we have very different goals and reasons to use email. Ignoring notifications is very easy. It's also a huge fail when it comes to my businesses.

I need to be able to safely ignore 95% of them without ignoring the important ones that I WANT to distract me.

11-12-19 03:04 PM
    But if I do want to change that, iOS allows customization of notifications per app.
    Yes. That's also what Android supports, and it's useless because I need granular notifications within a single app (the Hub) for different accounts and contacts, and I need them to change depending on context (in a meeting, at home, emergencies, etc).

Neither Apple nor Android have ever offered that level of granularity, but BB10 does.

11-12-19 03:09 PM
    Most of the data suggest yes. workplace productivity has stagnated over the past few years, in marked contrast to the period from the mid 1990s to the mid 00s. There is no evidence that mobile tech since 2007, when the iPhone was launched, has contributed to productivity.

People are spending more time on their mobile phones, but there's no evidence that employers are benefiting, which is one reason some are looking at pulling support for BYOD.
    Prove it. I want to see a direct correlation between the use of a Blackberry phone vs. an iPhone as it relates to productivity in the workplace. Evidence based.
    Tsepz_GP and chain13 like this.
    11-12-19 03:56 PM
    Prove it. I want to see a direct correlation between the use of a Blackberry phone vs. an iPhone as it relates to productivity in the workplace. Evidence based.
    I’d settle for correlation since coronations are pretty expensive
    11-12-19 03:58 PM
    Just because there are only two choices your point really doesn't carry much weight lol.
    I would have to say that BB10 was more productive and in my own opinion more so with the Passport. Fast forward to today with only two choices being Android and iOS? Ya, I guess so..... I mean sure, what else can we possibly compare it to today that has the support?

I can certainly accept “in my opinion” since you are stating only your personal opinion. That’s all it is, an opinion.
    11-12-19 03:58 PM
    I’d settle for correlation since coronations are pretty expensive
    Sorry, fixed it before you posted.
    11-12-19 03:59 PM
555 ... 7891011 ...