Something funny about iPhone ownership, someone that I know who has an iPhone XS Max was tempted to trade it for a Samsung Note10+, but after shopping around he decided to stick to his XS Max, one of the main reasons being the iPhone price retention is so damn good. In a year’s time the Note10+ will probably be worth half of what a XS Max goes for and the 11 Pro Max will have seen minimal drop in value.

Had he swapped his 1 year old XS Max for a 3 month old Samsung he would have basically lost out in the deal

Apple has really done a great job in ensuring iPhone value stays high through:
    - Supporting devices for more than 2-3 years, the average iPhone is now seeing around 5years worth of updates
    - Strong after sales support network
    - keeping carriers out of branding their software into iPhones
    - building a robust Ecosystem: this is what has completely captured me, I love my Androids but the Apple ecosystem has completely taken me. Just signed up to Apple TV+ and enjoying The Morning Show, and I am shopping for either a new iPad or I’ll simply get the battery in my current iPad Air 2 replaced later this month, because despite the iPad Air 2 being 5 years old now (launched in 2014), it STILL gets the latest iOS updates and still runs just as smooth and fast as the latest tablets and interacts with my XS Max perfectly with Handoff, AirDrop etc....

To think BlackBerry were once at the very point where they could have built such an ecosystem to, but failed to capitalize on the opportunity.

People here talking about buying a separate camera to match owning devices that have a robust ecosystem is hilarious, I must say. Totally missing the point.
    I get the whole resale value argument and there's no arguing that iPhones retain their value much better than most Android phones.

However I also feel like the first year is when they depreciate the most.

Either way, one should use a device they like and not one that has a better resale value just for that.
    Laura Knotek and cyberdoggie like this.
    11-03-19 11:50 AM
    Either way, one should use a device they like and not one that has a better resale value just for that.
    It’s certainly not the only thing that helps people make a decision, but it’s generally very important when buying an expensive phone. It becomes less important with budget phones and that’s where Android has the advantage.
    11-03-19 12:01 PM
    I get the whole resale value argument and there's no arguing that iPhones retain their value much better than most Android phones.

Resale value was just one part of it, the ecosystem and overall ownership experience are the other components that have convinced us.

What I would LOVE is if Samsung, Huawei, Google and Sony could create the same sort of robust network Apple has to better compete.
    11-03-19 01:02 PM

Resale value was just one part of it, the ecosystem and overall ownership experience are the other components that have convinced us.

What I would LOVE is if Samsung, Huawei, Google and Sony could create the same sort of robust network Apple has to better compete.
    11-03-19 01:09 PM
    Totally agree. iPhones hold their value much better than other phones. You really have to shop around to get a deal like I did. I find right before the new models come out is the best time because people become more desperate.

I bet I could run this Xr for the next 4 years or so and see little if any decline in its abilities.
    Indeed! Many people still using iPhone 6S happily from 2015, still getting updates and working great.

If the 2020 iPhones are not worth jump I’ll gladly keep my XS Max and just get the battery replaced when it needs to be replaced.
    11-03-19 01:17 PM
    A brand new KeyTwo
    Sporkguy3 and tazcubed like this.
    11-03-19 01:26 PM
    Seems like iPhone has a competitor in the KEY2. Seems this odd bird is holding its value very well due to supply and demand

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    11-03-19 01:49 PM
    Seems like iPhone has a competitor in the KEY2. Seems this odd bird is holding its value very well due to supply and demand

I’m not sure the two are in the same category of sales to compare.
    11-03-19 02:02 PM
    Didn't know we established a category table for the discussion. Maybe different reasons the price retention holds the same

11-03-19 02:13 PM
    Indeed! Many people still using iPhone 6S happily from 2015, still getting updates and working great.

If the 2020 iPhones are not worth jump I’ll gladly keep my XS Max and just get the battery replaced when it needs to be replaced.
    Anyone still on an iPhone 6S should be on their third battery by now if they want a chance at getting through a day lol.

Or a Mophie case lol
    11-03-19 02:22 PM
    Didn't know we established a category table for the discussion. Maybe different reasons the price retention holds the same

There’s no doubt there’s a different reason but if you’re going to use the word competition then you want them to be similar as possible.
    11-03-19 02:37 PM
    Anyone still on an iPhone 6S should be on their third battery by now if they want a chance at getting through a day lol.

Or a Mophie case lol
    Probably second but you’re right about getting through a day.
    11-03-19 02:38 PM
    There’s no doubt there’s a different reason but if you’re going to use the word competition then you want them to be similar as possible.
    I think some people in here are starved for interaction as to nitpick anything said.

It is what it is.
    11-03-19 03:04 PM
    I think some people in here are starved for interaction as to nitpick anything said.

It is what it is.
    It’s called a discussion.
    hoopitz likes this.
    11-03-19 03:28 PM
    Ofcourse it does, has been.
    11-03-19 04:03 PM
    Does anyone know the end date of the TCL/BlackBerry agreement?
    11-03-19 04:04 PM
    If only TCL considered you a genuine customer and cared to properly support the thing

Thanks for a good laugh though.

I cannot imagine carrying around a separate every single place I go.
    Carrying around a what?
    11-03-19 04:04 PM
    a laptop
    11-03-19 05:46 PM

Apple has really done a great job in ensuring iPhone value stays high through:
    Blackberry mobile also did a good job. By releasing a different type of color months after the common one has released and price it dollars more. They just don't know that the brand has no premium value anymore.

Guess what, there are still people out there buying it
    11-03-19 06:15 PM
    Blackberry mobile also did a good job. By releasing a different type of color months after the common one has released and price it dollars more. They just don't know that the brand has no premium value anymore.

Guess what, there are still people out there buying it
    There sure are. The red KEY2 still sells for no less than $750.

However, if there were 10 times the amount of them out there, they may end up selling for less than they do now because the "rare/limited edition" factor would be diluted.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-03-19 06:36 PM
    I've been thinking about the OP's question a lot these days. My plan right now is to run my KEY2 Red into the ground first.

I have the Titan shipping in December (at least that's what Unihertz is saying), but realistically, that's just something to play with as a novelty item and likely not something that I'll use as a daily driver.

While I plan to go as far as I can with the K2 Red, I know that I will start getting antsy around Summer 2020 for something new. I already own various Android slabs (Essential, Note8, Pixel 3 to name a few) but for some reason, none of them give me the same feels as the Motion (crazy, I know!).

I'm very interested in seeing what the new Razr has to offer as well as the next iteration of the Samsung Fold. Once foldables start taking off, the prices will come down and that's when things will start to get really exciting!
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    11-03-19 07:13 PM
    Carrying around a what?
    A camera.
    11-04-19 03:26 AM
    A few weeks ago a survey appeared on my phone from BlackBerry (something - can't remember if it was BlackBerry mobile) asking what I liked about my Key2 and what I would like from new phone.

There were a total of 3 questions.
    My answers were all around better specs plus waterproof
    11-04-19 07:05 PM
    If there's no further Blackberry phones to be had, then I'll probably look at the MS Surface Duo. I'm not sold on Apple - hate the whole way it "works". The Unihertz Titan looks interesting, but it's unclear they would actually deliver a product, let alone would it make it to Canada especially given the limited market stance. Samsung...leaves me cold. My wife has the Note 8 and while it's big, it just seems a bit off even though I love the idea of a penable. I'll hold my breath for Sony as well, but they seem to be drowning as much as Blackberry. I loved the camera and the simplicity of it's interface (of course, that was all the way back to the Z1).

I would love for Blackberry to survive - I just wish other people outside of this forum saw the light.
    11-04-19 07:21 PM
    I would love for Blackberry to survive - I just wish other people outside of this forum saw the light.
    Well, I have the LE and I can barely see the light...

... the notification light
    11-04-19 10:08 PM
555 ... 23456 ...