Appreciate the suggestion yet used has never been a consideration with me. I know the risks are low in the grand scheme of things yet I draw the line there especially when talking smartphones. Besides, I'm very anal with my devices and if it's not pristine (like mine) then I could never sleep at night LOL... Time to see a shrink for my problem
    Gotcha.
    I almost always buy my devices used. I’ve had very good success and have saved a ton of money. For instance I got my iPhone XR , 128gb, for $525. It’s in excellent condition and has served me well. I may end up selling it soon and will probably not lose much at all.
    But we all have different perspectives. I hope you find a good deal on a Nokia soon!
    Elky64 and Tsepz_GP like this.
    10-19-19 04:57 PM
    For me controlled access to some of my data, based on how I utilize and set up my phone, is absolutely worth it to me. The services I receive from google, the ways in which it improves my life or makes it easier is well worth it. In fact, I have to admit, I don’t see how it has affected my life negatively.

I fully respect and understand your opinion though.
    I understand that there is a wide range of opinion on this topic, and I also respect the experiences and views of others. Obviously, some free services are much more valuable than others, as well.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-19-19 at 07:33 PM.
    10-19-19 05:54 PM
    I will look for the Pro1 by fxtec. Best of both worlds and alternate OS possible.
    10-19-19 06:05 PM
    Almost pulled the trigger on the 6.1 a couple of times but since wasn't in the market for a new device (did not "need" LOL) thought better of it. Still own my Nokia L830 which isn't of much use now, regrettably sold off my L1020 wishing we had kept just for it's uniqueness.

I'm definitely now a timely support/update kind of person. Never had a device w/Android One yet wouldn't mine giving it a go, no problem adapting if need be. One area that keeps me at bay is in the battery department, all my devices now start @ 3400 mAh going up from there now so buying anything w/less becomes less of an option... Yeah I'll admit I'm too focused on that aspect yet love have devices that can go 2 days or more w/o worry.
    I use a vpn 24/7 on my Nokia 6.1. I get 7+ hours on SOT on WiFi and average 5 hours SOT with vpn on data only. I would still have 20% battery remaining.
    10-19-19 07:27 PM
    I'll hold onto my KeyOne Black and move to any successor of the Unihertz: Titan if not the first iteration of the rugged Titan itself.

Attachment 446521
    Yeah, I am thinking about the titan and adding all of the BlackBerry software it, like the hub, but I am hoping the key2 will last me for a few more years so the timing isn't right, I'll wait and see what is available in say 2021.
    10-19-19 07:38 PM
    I use a vpn 24/7 on my Nokia 6.1. I get 7+ hours on SOT on WiFi and average 5 hours SOT with vpn on data only. I would still have 20% battery remaining.
    Seat-of-the-pants is how I roll in determining my device's battery stamina. Definitely not SOT since there's many instances where the screen does not need to be on for the phone to perform. Not to say the Nokia 6.1's 3000 mAh battery wouldn't suffice for my needs (likely would) but being spoiled with the likes of 4000 mAh makes it tough considering anything w/less.
    10-19-19 08:39 PM
    Option 1: Use my Red KEY2 till it dies and then keep buying KEY2's until using a SD660 becomes as bad as using a Priv

Option 2: Buy the F(x) Tec Pro 1 and not look back

Either way, a trusty LE is always sitting there as a backup
    cyberdoggie, Trouveur and Grungni like this.
    10-20-19 12:06 AM
    Option 1: Use my Red KEY2 till it dies and then keep buying KEY2's until using a SD660 becomes as bad as using a Priv

Option 2: Buy the F(x) Tec Pro 1 and not look back

Either way, a trusty LE is always sitting there as a backup
    I was looking at the F(x) also, but it looks like it'll be a nightmare to type on.

The thought of replacing my K2 with another K2 seems so dissapointing, but it might be the best option - I really don't want to give up a pkb.
    the_boon and Grungni like this.
    10-20-19 01:18 AM
    I'll start my non BlackBerry journey since yeeeeeears with the Titan as I was a Passport lover.
    Then if the experience isn't good enough, I may go to the Cosmo communicator route
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    10-20-19 11:34 AM
    Do we have any other android phone with qwerty keppad all the time?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-19 11:54 AM
    Do we have any other android phone with qwerty keppad all the time?

Posted via CB10
    The Unihertz's Titan is coming.
    A rugged Passport like Android 9 device with promised update to Android 10.
    10-20-19 12:10 PM
    Didn't they promise an Android 9 update for Key2? I'm still waiting for that. Though I have to admit just the switch from Android 6 to Android 8 after having the Priv was pretty great.
    10-20-19 01:07 PM
    When is this set to come out? December?

I LOVED my passport and so the idea of this is pretty cool to me, but I thought Android killed the idea of a 1:1 ratio. Did that change? The phone itself looks alright - nothing special - although, water resistant and a huge battery are pretty good features.
    10-20-19 01:37 PM
    When is this set to come out? December?

I LOVED my passport and so the idea of this is pretty cool to me, but I thought Android killed the idea of a 1:1 ratio. Did that change? The phone itself looks alright - nothing special - although, water resistant and a huge battery are pretty good features.
    Android the OS has always been capable of any resolution, but in order to ensure app compatibility with all (licensed) devices and still set reasonable requirements for developers, Google has screen ratio and DPI requirements for manufacturers who wish to license Google Mobile Services, which includes access to the Play Store, services like Google Pay, and other things.

Unihertz may not be a Google licensee, in which case, they don't have to follow those rules, but they also can't ship the phone with the Play Store or other Google apps, and the phone won't have access to GMS and things that require it, such as mobile payments or connections to Wear OS.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-20-19 02:06 PM
    Android the OS has always been capable of any resolution, but in order to ensure app compatibility with all (licensed) devices and still set reasonable requirements for developers, Google has screen ratio and DPI requirements for manufacturers who wish to license Google Mobile Services, which includes access to the Play Store, services like Google Pay, and other things.

Unihertz may not be a Google licensee, in which case, they don't have to follow those rules, but they also can't ship the phone with the Play Store or other Google apps, and the phone won't have access to GMS and things that require it, such as mobile payments or connections to Wear OS.
    I'm pretty confident that in some hands-on videos that I've watched, I've seen the phone running the Play Store, though.
    10-20-19 02:51 PM
    Not being google licensed is a plus in my book, so not bothered by it in case google stuff is absent.

Thanks for all Nokia experience feedback in posts above!
    RWIndiana likes this.
    10-20-19 03:41 PM
    Pixel. The Call Screening function in Google Assistant is awesome. Plus I let the idea of getting security updates every month and an OS update or two.
    10-20-19 07:02 PM
    I'm thinking of trying the Librem 5.
    10-20-19 08:09 PM
    S10 or note10, or other galaxy with dex support. It’s amazing. Beside, all galaxy phone has knox built in for security. I’ll also carry an iphone for anything else.
    10-20-19 09:05 PM
    I'm pretty confident that in some hands-on videos that I've watched, I've seen the phone running the Play Store, though.
    On a non-GMS phone, the Play Store can be manually installed, and many/most apps will run, but anything that needs GMS won't (some can be worked around).
    10-20-19 09:42 PM
    Went to Nokia.ca site, their retailers for say the 6.1 are now broken, don't show a listing for 7.1 and up. Staples.ca, Best Buy.ca, Amazon.ca, Newegg.ca... Some nothing, over priced, without warranty, and so on.
    You can order a US variant from Amazon or B&H Photo but as with all unlocked Android devices in Canada, you won't get VoLTE, RCS, HD calling, etc.

If you want a recent midrange or flagship device with timely monthly security updates and carrier features, your only option in Canada seems to be the Pixel.
    10-20-19 10:10 PM
    You can order a US variant from Amazon or B&H Photo but as with all unlocked Android devices in Canada, you won't get VoLTE, RCS, HD calling, etc.

If you want a recent midrange or flagship device with timely monthly security updates and carrier features, your only option in Canada seems to be the Pixel.
    How about https://pdaplaza.ca/collections/nokia
    10-20-19 10:35 PM
    On a non-GMS phone, the Play Store can be manually installed, and many/most apps will run, but anything that needs GMS won't (some can be worked around).
    I'll be interested to see what it winds up being. Having to fiddle with workarounds would be a dealbreaker for me - PTSD from my Passport days. If I'm going to stick with Android, I just want everything to work and be available out of the box.

I really don't want to give up on a pkb, but there have been some good suggestions above...
    10-21-19 12:03 AM
    I'm thinking of trying the Librem 5.
    Yes, I am watching this one closely, as well as the pine phone. The first batch seems to be slowly arriving in the hands of those who were the earliest in line.

Those hardware switches are a thing of beauty.
    10-21-19 02:00 AM
    It should come Google certified, don't worry about that.
    As for the release, we can hope for a late november if all goes well
    10-21-19 03:58 AM
555 1234 ...