Why would RIM not offer us the option to customize the LED for BBM, MMS, SMS etc...?
    I know if wanted, a person could download an application that allows customization of the LED indicator light but in my opinion, if it's capable of doing it why wouldn't that option come stock?
    08-09-10 01:44 PM
    I don't know why RIM does what they do. BerryBuzz is your best option.
    08-09-10 01:58 PM
    BerryBuzz is your best option but RIM is mainly for the hardcore workers and they don't think about the BIS users. Features like that take up space which workers would not use.
    08-09-10 02:00 PM
    RIM would be alienating a developer if they made the abilities integrated with the OS, they need to keep developers happy and involved.

Though I would love to see RIM work with BerryBuzz and offer a free version with maybe 3 options preinstalled on the blackberry, then the premium version being full featured, you'd upgrade like you do with Doc2Go

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 02:02 PM
    RIM markets its phones first and foremost to business consumers. Having a phone go off in disco may come off as "unprofessional" to some people, I would guess. And besides, RIM encourages the 3rd party developers to create wonderful apps.

There are free LED changing programs but they are limited. BerryBuzz is the way to go, I can tell just by a glance what alert I just received. Love it.
    08-09-10 02:05 PM
    BerryBuzz is your best option but RIM is mainly for the hardcore workers and they don't think about the BIS users. Features like that take up space which workers would not use.
    I very much disagree that business people would not use it, being able to see if you have email or voicemail with a single LED change would be valuable with many business users who like myself have their phones on silent most of the day to not interrupt meetings

08-09-10 02:06 PM
    I agree, different colors would be amazing for everybody. I don't think they need a disco option, but a few more basic colors that you can make the led blink would be great for notifications on silent mode.

08-09-10 02:44 PM
    RIM markets its phones first and foremost to business consumers. Having a phone go off in disco may come off as "unprofessional" to some people, I would guess. And besides, RIM encourages the 3rd party developers to create wonderful apps.

There are free LED changing programs but they are limited. BerryBuzz is the way to go, I can tell just by a glance what alert I just received. Love it.
    Yea, I agree in regards to having your phone blinking disco colors being "unprofessional" in some views. However, I don't think it would be considered unprofessional to have any color? I mean honestly, whose to say I wouldn't think Red/green blinking is unprofessional?

And as far as hurting other developers I see your point as well, but again to play Devil's advocate, RIM simply can't think of every developer and try not to put them out of business or infringe on their products as they wouldn't ever survive then as a quality company that provides the services they do. Their phones already come stock with some functions that other developers have, maybe RIM could just make the phone have an option to only blink a certain color for certain things and then developers could come out with an application to further expand on the colors, (Much like they do)

I don't know, just a thought really.
    08-09-10 02:47 PM
    Having a different color for each email account you have on your phone is very useful for business users. When my phone is on silent or vibrate, I know what email I have a message on just by looking at my LED. In fact, I would go as far as to say its MUCH more useful for business users than non business users.
    08-09-10 02:48 PM
    Yea, I agree in regards to having your phone blinking disco colors being "unprofessional" in some views. However, I don't think it would be considered unprofessional to have any color? I mean honestly, whose to say I wouldn't think Red/green blinking is unprofessional?

And as far as hurting other developers I see your point as well, but again to play Devil's advocate, RIM simply can't think of every developer and try not to put them out of business or infringe on their products as they wouldn't ever survive then as a quality company that provides the services they do. Their phones already come stock with some functions that other developers have, maybe RIM could just make the phone have an option to only blink a certain color for certain things and then developers could come out with an application to further expand on the colors, (Much like they do)

I don't know, just a thought really.
    Oh, I certainly agree with you and think that having multiple colors for certain things is a great idea (I was taking it to the extreme re: disco. I know most professionals aren't going to have that type of alert programmed). However, a BlackBerry does have 3 different colors out of the box for the LED:

Red: Messages/Alerts
    Green: Coverage Indicator
    Blue: Bluetooth

I can only assume that RIM thinks having one color for all alerts is sufficient as all messages/notifications drop into the "Messages" folder.

I agree that having a different color for each inbox would be a nice thing to have out of the box. I just think that maybe RIM has deemed it unnecessary, and/or has decided that that sort of customization is best left to the 3rd party developers.
    08-09-10 02:54 PM
    RIM would be alienating a developer if they made the abilities integrated with the OS, they need to keep developers happy and involved.

Though I would love to see RIM work with BerryBuzz and offer a free version with maybe 3 options preinstalled on the blackberry, then the premium version being full featured, you'd upgrade like you do with Doc2Go

Exactly, plus some people might not want to have the option of different colors for different notifications... I'm not one of them, but I'm just saying.
    08-09-10 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD