Who's using 4G anyway?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 05:08 PM
    your phones have different names, but you have the same phones. Your desire is the same as the incredible and thunderbolt.

HD2 is your evo i think

so you get the phones they just have different names
    HD2 is not their Evo. The Desire/Desire HD is. The HD2 is the HD2, WinMo here and there.
    01-10-11 05:10 PM
    4G? We haven't broken the 3G barrier yet! So why all the hype? If you don't like it or want a new new new renew this that, then get something else.

Or just use your blackberry or phone, be glad you have something that works and does what you need and don't be brainwashed by the marketing you see in ads and commercials. Most of all, save the money. If it's worth it, save for it. Make use of what you have and keep it until it ceases to function at all. Reload the OS if needed, cause it "fixes" what could appear to be broken in the software area.

If it's hardware, an exchange or repair does it.

Appreciation is what we need to think about...

My two cents.

01-10-11 09:28 PM
    Put it beside a Pearl 3G

Exactly my point. What can i do with a Pearl 3G?
    01-10-11 09:33 PM
    Yeah, I get that, the only reason I know about it is cuz I listened to the cnet uk podcast.
    The point is, inside the phone there's another processor and a different os, that's not Android, that the phone can't use unless it's in the dock. The dock is not a mirror of the phone, it's completely separate. Sure you can just use it as a phone but there's other androids better at just being a phone then the Atrix

ROFL.

I can't believe I'm reading this stuff...

This is rich.
    01-10-11 09:36 PM
    ROFL.

I can't believe I'm reading this stuff...

This is rich.
    Listen to the cnet uk podcast, that's how they explain it, I didn't look at any specs or read anything else about it. All I know it's from the podcast, don't believe me, listen to it.

Wouldn't be the first time I prove you wrong ie playbook can't do bes on its own.

01-11-11 01:31 AM
    Exactly my point. What can i do with a Pearl 3G?
    You can do everything a 9780 can do but it fits in the tiniest pockets, not everybody wants to carry a 4.5inch slab around. Pair it with a playbook and it's an ideal combination.

01-11-11 01:35 AM
    Listen to the cnet uk podcast, that's how they explain it, I didn't look at any specs or read anything else about it. All I know it's from the podcast, don't believe me, listen to it.

Wouldn't be the first time I prove you wrong ie playbook can't do bes on its own.

maybe you should actually look into it. Its an application on the phone is all.
    01-11-11 02:08 AM
    maybe you should actually look into it. Its an application on the phone is all.
    The way they explained it it's much more then that, a firefox based OS, or something like that anyway.

01-11-11 02:29 AM
    you can use the firefox web browser when using webtop.
    01-11-11 02:36 AM
    But Jha, who has turned Motorola's fortunes around by hitching its wagons to Android, was most excited about the Atrix 4G's ability to port its content to a larger computer screen, courtesy of a new Motorola Webtop application and docking stations.

Jha showed how users can tether Atrix 4G to their computers or laptops with a docking station to access and manage their phone's content on a larger screen.

This is done via the Webtop application, allowing users to run their Android applications, browse the Web with the Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13 browser, send instant messages and make phone calls, all at the same time.

U.S.-based Atrix 4G consumers may leverage the AT&T U-verse Mobile application, which allows them to schedule recordings, download and watch hit TV shows on their smartphones.

Business users with an existing Citrix account may use the Citrix Receiver application in the phone to access virtual desktops as well as Windows, Web and office applications hosted on Citrix XenDesktop.

"This design allows us to deliver an unprecedented level of integration between your smartphone and your computing environment because it is one and the same thing," Jha said.

Industry analysts failed to share Jha's enthusiasm for the Webtop application.

Analyst Jack Gold told eWEEK that while the market will see more Webtop-type devices�even RIM's Playbook has such a feature coupled to BlackBerry�it's not clear how receptive consumers will be to the technology.

"It means having to buy two "things," a phone and an accessory," Gold said. "It's been a hard sell to do that, especially if the accessory had a significant cost attached to purchasing (and using) it. So we'll have to see how popular it will become. I think there may be more demand for business users than consumers, at least initially."

"I think that docking stations to translate content to bigger screens will be of minor importance," Gartner analyst Ken Dulaney told eWEEK. "What I think will really take off is when we have the equivalent of WiDi on notebooks for transmission of HD content. People hate wires."
    Motorola Atrix 4G Leverages Webtop App for Larger Screen - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com
    01-11-11 02:39 AM
    Wait, what? No 4G, only HSPA? But wait, they're calling HSPA 4G now, my head is spinning, lol

The idea is not new, it's differently implemented but that's what winmo has been doing for ages with the firefly laptop, didn't even need wires, could connect via bluetooth.

It is available for blackberry and other platforms.
    My prediction, gonna be DOA.

01-11-11 04:10 AM
    You can do everything a 9780 can do but it fits in the tiniest pockets, not everybody wants to carry a 4.5inch slab around. Pair it with a playbook and it's an ideal combination.

That's a rhetorical question. I don't find a phone with a screen that small particularly useful. Mind as well save money and get a dumb phone.

I don't care what I can do, I care how well and efficiently I can do it and the Pearl line pretty much falls flat on its face compared to pretty much anything else.

But yea, they're nice phones. So are Motorola dumb phones.
    01-11-11 04:24 AM
    HSPA+ is the same speed as LTE, so I don't understand what all the confusion is about...
    01-11-11 04:27 AM
    That's a rhetorical question. I don't find a phone with a screen that small particularly useful. Mind as well save money and get a dumb phone.

I don't care what I can do, I care how well and efficiently I can do it and the Pearl line pretty much falls flat on its face compared to pretty much anything else.

But yea, they're nice phones. So are Motorola dumb phones.
    Maybe so but they do sell well and no doubt they are more popular with the girls, my wife has one, the 8120 in pink and she wouldn't change to a 9700 as it's too big.

I can't see any young people going out clubbing wanting to stick a 4inch phone in their tight jeans pockets lol.

01-11-11 05:46 AM
    HSPA+ is the same speed as LTE, so I don't understand what all the confusion is about...
    hspa+ as i believe has a theoretical top end of 21mb/s, from watching the engadget podcast they said vzw lte stick they had was doing 31mb/s.

and the ITU certified (originally) that 100mb/s (in a mobile environment and 1gb/s in a static environment) was 4G so its not 4G anyways.

and even if ya throw the (as many are) ITU speeds out the window, hspa+ 21mb/s isnt an exponential leap from current standards, and by that statement it isnt an evoloution, and therefore doesnt make the jump from 3 to 4g.
    01-11-11 06:04 AM
    hspa+ as i believe has a theoretical top end of 21mb/s, from watching the engadget podcast they said vzw lte stick they had was doing 31mb/s.

and the ITU certified (originally) that 100mb/s (in a mobile environment and 1gb/s in a static environment) was 4G so its not 4G anyways.

and even if ya throw the (as many are) ITU speeds out the window, hspa+ 21mb/s isnt an exponential leap from current standards, and by that statement it isnt an evoloution, and therefore doesnt make the jump from 3 to 4g.
    The ITU said advanced 3G technologies can be referred to as 4G (third time I've had to repeat this, I think the second time to you specifically).

HSPA+ is upgradeable and T-Mobile/AT&T are going to up the speeds. T-Mobile is starting the 42 mbps upgrade this year, in fact, and they're aiming for a 600+ mbps top speed.

It doesn't matter if the network is 1000 mbps. No phone manufacturer will put those types of radios in a cell phone, anyways.

HSPA+ speeds are an exponential leap up from what 3G was before hand, and the HSPA+ upgrade comes as a double benefit for those on the GSM networks because it almost caps out the speed of the 3G devices.

That's why 3G devices on AT&T and T-Mobile (non-HSPA+) are getting 3-5.5 mbps download speeds, but CDMA 3G devices struggle to get to 2 mbps.

If a 30-50% increase in download speeds simply from a software upgrade on the towers isn't an exponential leap, then I dunno what to say to you.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-11-11 at 06:16 AM.
    01-11-11 06:13 AM
    The ITU said advanced 3G technologies can be referred to as 4G (third time I've had to repeat this, I think the second time to you specifically).

HSPA+ is upgradeable and T-Mobile/AT&T are going to up the speeds. T-Mobile is starting the 42 mbps upgrade this year, in fact, and they're aiming for a 600+ mbps top speed.

It doesn't matter if the network is 1000 mbps. No phone manufacturer will put those types of radios in a cell phone, anyways.

HSPA+ speeds are an exponential leap up from what 3G was before hand, and the HSPA+ upgrade comes as a double benefit for those on the GSM networks because it almost caps out the speed of the 3G devices.

That's why 3G devices on AT&T and T-Mobile (non-HSPA+) are getting 3-5.5 mbps download speeds, but CDMA 3G devices struggle to get to 2 mbps.

If a 30-50% increase in download speeds simply from a software upgrade on the towers isn't an exponential leap, then I dunno what to say to you.
    exponential means a massive ammount, like for example smartphone adopotion in the last few years, or android adoption, both of these are exponential ammounts.

also it should be noted that ericsson had successful testing on devices running OVER 60mb/s over a year ago (data sticks i believe, but still mobile devices). that is what i would consider to be a far better step than attempting to confuse customers by calling advanced 3g, 4g and not even getting north of 25mb/s.

just because the ITU caved to pressure from companies that want to make a quick buck from ya, calling something different hasnt changed its speed
    01-11-11 08:14 AM
    So if HSPA will be called 4G does this mean the manufacturers can re brand their HSPA devices as 4G as well? Now that will be bloody confusing.

01-11-11 08:19 AM
    "Mr ML, when will we see a 4G blackberry?"
    "Well, it's been out for over a year, you just happened to miss it" lol

01-11-11 08:23 AM
    In a detailed report last week, Mr. Horan spelled out further why carriers like Verizon and AT&T will need to derive more revenue from their subscriber’s data usage to offset the high subsidies paid for the latest generation of phones. And they may be able to do this in part with data caps, on the bet that users of 4G devices will likely exceed the limits and end up paying extra for their habits – to the benefit of carrier’s bottom lines.

“With the improvement of wireless data speeds, introduction of more smartphones/tablets and proliferation of applications, we believe the current caps will begin to be breached this year to users’ surprise,” Horan wrote. “This should drive ARPU [average revenue per user] increases and, given the favorable regulatory environment, we expect carriers to be able to exert pricing power.”
    Verizon’s 4G Pricing Dilemma - Digits - WSJ
    01-15-11 02:15 PM
    I'm eligible for an upgrade in Feb--getting a 3G phone would be like buying a b&w TV or a monophonic music system. It's 4G or bust!
    I agree! Anyone looking to buy a phone between now & this summer would be squandering an opportunity...taking a step backwards...shooting themselves in the foot (you get the point) by not getting a 4G device. Once again, BB will miss out & lose share in the next 10 months or so by not having a 4G device ready.

What's with them anyway? Was 4G just announced last week? The hard part is supposed to be deploying a brand new network, and Verizon will have it deployed in 38 markets this year, not building a new phone!
    01-15-11 05:15 PM
    They haven't even announced what 4G will cost and what you will get, but people gotta have it!!! VZW CSRs are pushing it on me every time I call in. To me, that's a red flag.

I hope CB will create a new forum for all of the 4G cost complaints, LOL.
    01-15-11 08:26 PM
    Maybe so but they do sell well and no doubt they are more popular with the girls, my wife has one, the 8120 in pink and she wouldn't change to a 9700 as it's too big.

I can't see any young people going out clubbing wanting to stick a 4inch phone in their tight jeans pockets lol.

We clearly live in different areas...

I see the younger ones at clubs and rock venues with phones, ipods, and portable games and stuff all the time. It's kinda sad really...it's like why the **** did you come here just to listen to your ipod while playing on your PSP.

I imagine if you can fit a PSP in your pocket...a 4 inch phone wont be that big of a deal.
    01-15-11 09:31 PM
224 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD