Might me thin but the Atrix is still a huge phone, and besides, that thing is gonna be very expensive by the time you buy all the accessories that make it work. Was listening to the cnet podcast today and even they weren't convinced of it and they're android fans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    To the naked eye, it's the same size as an iPhone 4. Engadget put them side by side.
    01-10-11 02:36 PM
    make it work? for what, a phone and handheld media device? pretty sure it can do that without accessories...

sure if you want to use it to integrate into your TV and what not it will, but that is additional features that you dont have to do if you dont want too
    You would need to buy the laptop thingy, otherwise why buy it?

01-10-11 02:36 PM
    make it work? for what, a phone and handheld media device? pretty sure it can do that without accessories...

sure if you want to use it to integrate into your TV and what not it will, but that is additional features that you dont have to do if you dont want too
    Some of these people's responses are getting a bit... ridiculous.

Dell streak is huge. The new samsung 4.5"er is huge.

4.3 is "pretty big"

A 4" device is not "huge" by any means. It's a pretty standard size these days and a Blackberry with a keyboard isn't really that much smaller than my Vibrant, TBQH.

Rather have a great device that is a bit big than a terrible one with a screen as big as two quarters or with such bad screen resolution that each pixel looks like a different word.
    01-10-11 02:38 PM

So you are saying the device is only worth buying if you are also going to get the accessories? WTF kind of logic is that? It is going to be the best Android device on AT&T and in the GSM world, that isn't enough of a reason? Should people not buy the 9700 if they aren't going to buy the charging dock? What about if they are't going to use BBM? Is the BB no longer worth it?
    01-10-11 02:41 PM
    Some of these people's responses are getting a bit... ridiculous.

Dell streak is huge. The new samsung 4.5"er is huge.

4.3 is "pretty big"

A 4" device is not "huge" by any means. It's a pretty standard size these days and a Blackberry with a keyboard isn't really that much smaller than my Vibrant, TBQH.

Rather have a great device that is a bit big than a terrible one with a screen as big as two quarters or with such bad screen resolution that each pixel looks like a different word.
    Put it beside a Pearl 3G

01-10-11 02:41 PM
    So you are saying the device is only worth buying if you are also going to get the accessories? WTF kind of logic is that? It is going to be the best Android device on AT&T and in the GSM world, that isn't enough of a reason? Should people not buy the 9700 if they aren't going to buy the charging dock? What about if they are't going to use BBM? Is the BB no longer worth it?
    Dude, that device is different, it has a separate processor and OS for powering the laptop, really something similar firely laptop. That processor and OS can only be used with that laptop/dock, if you're not gonna buy the laptop what's the point?

When it's just a phone it runs Android and the other Os can't be accessed from the phone, just trough the dock.

Hope that makes it sort of clear.

01-10-11 02:45 PM

because specwise the phone itself is still awesome. the screen is excellent and its actually smaller than the 4.3 inch devices out there. you are only looking at this from the dock perspective and are overlooking that its a top of the line device AND has the webtop capabilities ontop of all that.
    01-10-11 02:47 PM
    because specwise the phone itself is still awesome. the screen is excellent and its actually smaller than the 4.3 inch devices out there. you are only looking at this from the dock perspective and are overlooking that its a top of the line device AND has the webtop capabilities ontop of all that.
    I though it only runs android 2.2, maybe I remember it wrong.

01-10-11 02:48 PM
    Dude, that device is different, it has a separate processor and OS for powering the laptop, really something similar firely laptop. That processor and OS can only be used with that laptop/dock, if you're not gonna buy the laptop what's the point?

When it's just a phone it runs Android and the other Os can't be accessed from the phone, just trough the dock.

Hope that makes it sort of clear.

You do realize that I probably know more about the device than you do, right? You have to explain nothing to me. The phone phone still uses the dual core processor for Android. The phones still uses the 1GB of RAM for Android. The phone still uses the qHD screen for Android. The phone still has 16GB of internel storage space dedicated for Android.

You do NOT need the laptop dock. That is just an added accessory. I am sure plenty of people own devices that have video chat and do not use it. Android has a car dock app. I am sure plenty of people do not dock their phone in their car. Motorola devices have a specific screen that pops up when in the media dock. Are you saying people should not buy one of these devices unless they are going to buy the media dock so they can utilize that screen?

You are saying if you do not use one specific feature, than the entire device is not worth it. The laptop dock isn't even the biggest selling point. Moto is touting this device as the "most powerful smartphone in the world". That is the biggest selling point.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-10-11 at 02:53 PM.
    howarmat and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    01-10-11 02:51 PM
    I though it only runs android 2.2, maybe I remember it wrong.

It is shipping with 2.2 and will be fully upgradable to 2.3+.
    01-10-11 02:52 PM
    It is shipping with 2.2 and will be fully upgradable to 2.3+.
    i know this is going totally off topic, but whats coming after 2.3 for phones? as google are touting 3.0 as the OS for tablets
    01-10-11 02:55 PM
    You do realize that I probably know more about the device than you do, right? You have to explain nothing to me. The phone phone still uses the dual core processor for Android. The phones still uses the 1GB of RAM for Android. The phone still uses the qHD screen for Android. The phone still has 16GB of internel storage space dedicated for Android.

You do NOT need the laptop dock. That is just an added accessory. I am sure plenty of people own devices that have video chat and do not use it. Android has a car dock app. I am sure plenty of people do not dock their phone in their car. Motorola devices have a specific screen that pops up when in the media dock. Are you saying people should not buy one of these devices unless they are going to buy the media dock so they can utilize that screen?

You are saying if you do not use one specific feature, than the entire device is not worth it. The laptop dock isn't even the biggest selling point. Moto is touting this device as the "most powerful smartphone in the world". That is the biggest selling point.
    Yeah, I get that, the only reason I know about it is cuz I listened to the cnet uk podcast.
    The point is, inside the phone there's another processor and a different os, that's not Android, that the phone can't use unless it's in the dock. The dock is not a mirror of the phone, it's completely separate. Sure you can just use it as a phone but there's other androids better at just being a phone then the Atrix

01-10-11 02:57 PM
    i know this is going totally off topic, but whats coming after 2.3 for phones? as google are touting 3.0 as the OS for tablets
    Honeycomb (3.0) is for both phones and tablets. Honeycomb is just the first version of Android that is actually optimized for tablets. We haven't seen the version of Honeycomb that will be running on phones, but it will be on phones.
    01-10-11 02:57 PM
    Yeah, I get that, the only reason I know about it is cuz I listened to the cnet uk podcast.
    The point is, inside the phone there's another processor and a different os, that's not Android, that the phone can't use unless it's in the dock. The dock is not a mirror of the phone, it's completely separate. Sure you can just use it as a phone but there's other androids better at just being a phone then the Atrix

Please name me one Android GSM device that is better than the Atrix as a phone. Moto Android devices have the best call quality and signal strength. Moto Android devices have the best battery life (I bet the dual core Moto devices have better battery life than the LG Optimus 2x). Also, name me one Android smartphone that is more powerful than the Atrix.
    01-10-11 03:00 PM
    Honeycomb (3.0) is for both phones and tablets. Honeycomb is just the first version of Android that is actually optimized for tablets. We haven't seen the version of Honeycomb that will be running on phones, but it will be on phones.
    ah right with ya, just from the way alot of people were sayin `built for tablets` rather than `optimised for tablets` it made it seem (to me at least) like it was a tablet only OS
    01-10-11 03:01 PM
    ah right with ya, just from the way alot of people were sayin `built for tablets` rather than `optimised for tablets` it made it seem (to me at least) like it was a tablet only OS
    there seems to be LOTS of CONFUSION with you UK guys--don't you have full access to the internet??
    01-10-11 03:02 PM
    Yea the advertising sounds that way, but it is for both. It is just launching on tablets first.
    01-10-11 03:03 PM
    Moto Android devices have the best call quality and signal strength. Moto Android devices have the best battery life
    sadly that consumer perception isnt here in the UK, there is no `droid` lineup (droid 1 was the milestone here) and moto are pretty much on a par with palm for their market penetration.

if your in the UK then its either HTC or Samsung if ya want a android device (that is to say they are the two biggest id say, of course there are others too).
    01-10-11 03:05 PM
    there seems to be LOTS of CONFUSION with you UK guys--don't you have full access to the internet??
    yea sorry, we`re anti net neutrality here

or maybe they are muddying the waters this side of the pond as the `best` android tablet in the uk is the galaxy, and that (allegedly) isnt getting 3.0
    01-10-11 03:07 PM
    yea sorry, we`re anti net neutrality here

or maybe they are muddying the waters this side of the pond as the `best` android tablet in the uk is the galaxy, and that (allegedly) isnt getting 3.0
    I think it's because you are all driving on the wrong side of the road, actually--it messes with your brains. BTW, that's why you guys are on the metric system--our confounded system here would be far too much for you.
    01-10-11 03:17 PM
    I think it's because you are all driving on the wrong side of the road, actually--it messes with your brains. BTW, that's why you guys are on the metric system--our confounded system here would be far too much for you.
    dude even the euro was too much to get into!!!

off topic much lol
    01-10-11 03:21 PM
    sadly that consumer perception isnt here in the UK, there is no `droid` lineup (droid 1 was the milestone here) and moto are pretty much on a par with palm for their market penetration.

if your in the UK then its either HTC or Samsung if ya want a android device (that is to say they are the two biggest id say, of course there are others too).
    I'm sorry to hear that. You guys are missing out on some quality devices.
    01-10-11 04:44 PM
    Well, we're not getting the EVO 4G/Droid Incredible either. You hear NOTHING of Motorola devices in the UK.
    Here are the main companies in the UK (tried to put in order from highest sales to lowest sales):
    1) HTC
    2) iPhone
    3) Samsung
    4) LG
    5) Nokia
    6) BlackBerry

(yes, as far as I'm aware, Nokia still dominates over BlackBerry in the UK)
    01-10-11 04:48 PM
    Well, we're not getting the EVO 4G/Droid Incredible either. You hear NOTHING of Motorola devices in the UK.
    Here are the main companies in the UK (tried to put in order from highest sales to lowest sales):
    1) HTC
    2) iPhone
    3) Samsung
    4) LG
    5) Nokia
    6) BlackBerry

your phones have different names, but you have the same phones. Your desire is the same as the incredible and thunderbolt.

HD2 is your evo i think

so you get the phones they just have different names
    01-10-11 04:56 PM
    1) HTC
    2) iPhone
    3) Samsung
    4) LG
    5) Nokia
    6) BlackBerry

your right of course about moto, theres just no love.

id seriously re-evaluate your list though, if your including nokia then i guess your exiting the smartphone discussion, so they gonna be top, if your talkin nokia smartphones then back to the bottom they go.

when i did phone sales (stopped a few months ago, so relatively recent) i woulda put (for smartphones) the list in the order of

1) apple
    2) blackberry
    3) htc
    4) samsung
    5) sony ericsson
    6) nokia / lg
    01-10-11 05:00 PM
224 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD