I looked at VZW's website and it says somewhere in the avenue of 10-12 Mbps
    Looks like faster speeds are already available in UK at no extra cost and it's still 3G, not 4G: http://m.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2009/08/27/vodafone-mobile-broadband-to-hit-top-hsdpa-speed-39730201/
    I don't know if blackberrys can use it though. The article above is from 2009.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 04:47 AM
    I guess I don't understand... How fast do you need your phone to be? 3G is perfectly fast, ****, I use 2G the majority of the time. I don't understand that surfing the web a second or two faster is supposed to be better. In this day and age, patience is a virtue. My area just got 3G, I doubt if RIM came out with a 4G device I'd even be able to use it.

01-05-11 05:16 AM
    I guess I don't understand... How fast do you need your phone to be? 3G is perfectly fast, ****, I use 2G the majority of the time. I don't understand that surfing the web a second or two faster is supposed to be better. In this day and age, patience is a virtue. My area just got 3G, I doubt if RIM came out with a 4G device I'd even be able to use it.

True, when you spend 4-5 minutes reading a web page does it really matters if it opens a few seconds slower? Some people win that back by reading faster lol
    The only advantage I can see is in downloading large files but do we really want the bandwidth to be clogged even more? Remember the problems networks had after the iphone and the ipad releases? It's nice to watch live tv or stream HD videos but what if everybody had the same idea at the same time? Think of a highway coming to a standstill with too much traffic.

01-05-11 05:42 AM

Using that logic, how fast do you need anything to be? The speed limit is 55 mph (65 and 70 in some areas, but I digress), why do they build cars that go 2 and three times these speeds? Because that is what people want. You can be perfectly happy with your Chevy Cobalt, but some people want Corvettes.
    01-05-11 05:58 AM
    True, when you spend 4-5 minutes reading a web page does it really matters if it opens a few seconds slower? Some people win that back by reading faster lol
    The only advantage I can see is in downloading large files but do we really want the bandwidth to be clogged even more? Remember the problems networks had after the iphone and the ipad releases? It's nice to watch live tv or stream HD videos but what if everybody had the same idea at the same time? Think of a highway coming to a standstill with too much traffic.

Streaming video, downloading files, etc. Yes, all of these things. Not to mention when folks use their phone to tether, the faster the connection the better for that.
    01-05-11 05:58 AM
    Streaming video, downloading files, etc. Yes, all of these things. Not to mention when folks use their phone to tether, the faster the connection the better for that.
    Yes but how many users doing exactly that can a cell tower support at 4G speeds before calls fail and connections are interrupted? That's my worry. Also battery life, going from 2g to 3g battery life is cut by half on most handsets, if it's the same going to 4G would it really be worth it on a mobile? The more I think about it 4G must've been designed with mobile broadband in mind not mobile phone use.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-05-11 at 06:19 AM.
    djshuffle likes this.
    01-05-11 06:11 AM
    Well I say go ahead and upgrade to your 4G device. Since the country isn't even close to being saturated in 4G. By that time you will want another upgrade. Bergerking is correct 4G is not in all places. There are 4G capable phones but what good are they without 4G networks. You blame Blackberry for your own insecurities for not having the newest set of bells and whiustles. I have a Nexus One, nice phone in my opinion, the best Google/Android has to offer in pocket computers, but I still rock my Blackberrys when it comes to communications. Happy trails.....
    01-05-11 10:27 AM
    You can buy a Sony Ericsson Aspen right now. It has a Qwerty keyboard.

Good luck with your BBM on that one lol The 'average consumer' in America though is not (generally speaking of course) necessarily a Blackberry customer, certainly not the same uptake rates as seen here in the UK Market.
    01-05-11 10:40 AM
    Well I say go ahead and upgrade to your 4G device. Since the country isn't even close to being saturated in 4G. By that time you will want another upgrade. Bergerking is correct 4G is not in all places. There are 4G capable phones but what good are they without 4G networks. You blame Blackberry for your own insecurities for not having the newest set of bells and whiustles. I have a Nexus One, nice phone in my opinion, the best Google/Android has to offer in pocket computers, but I still rock my Blackberrys when it comes to communications. Happy trails.....
    Hmmm...applying your logic, I should have bought a vehicle that can't go over 70MPH, since that's the max speed limit where I drive. Stupid me bought a vehicle that can exceed 100MPH.
    01-05-11 11:20 AM
    Hmmm...applying your logic, I should have bought a vehicle that can't go over 70MPH, since that's the max speed limit where I drive. Stupid me bought a vehicle that can exceed 100MPH.
    Hmmmm, your analogy is slightly wrong as most if not all cars can do 100mph and they need the extra speed to perform safe overtakes but using your logic the only reason you would buy a 4G phone/150mph car over a 3g phone/100mph car at the expense or battery life/extra monthly fee/fuel consumption/insurance premiums etc is to satisfy your ego, not to get extra functionality out of it and you'll only be able to use it in select few places.

01-05-11 11:53 AM
    Hmmmm, your analogy is slightly wrong as most if not all cars can do 100mph and they need the extra speed to perform safe overtakes but using your logic the only reason you would buy a 4G phone/150mph car over a 3g phone/100mph car at the expense or battery life/extra monthly fee/fuel consumption/insurance premiums etc is to satisfy your ego, not to get extra functionality out of it and you'll only be able to use it in select few places.

01-05-11 12:07 PM

My ego is fully intact without a 150MPH vehicle--trust me. (and you posting twice, doesn't improve your chances of me agreeing with your assertions, either)
    01-05-11 12:34 PM
    Dont be in such a hurry. I just sold my BB 9650 a couple of weeks ago and went and got a HTC EVO 4G for sprint. What a mistake. I just now found another 9650 and purchased it and sold that Evo crap on craigslist. If you have to have a 4g device then go check out Android. Its sluggish and not at all user friendly. Once you have used a blackberry you have a taste of the best. Chances are you will be back if you leave just for 4G.
    01-05-11 12:51 PM
    Dont be in such a hurry. I just sold my BB 9650 a couple of weeks ago and went and got a HTC EVO 4G for sprint. What a mistake. I just now found another 9650 and purchased it and sold that Evo crap on craigslist. If you have to have a 4g device then go check out Android. Its sluggish and not at all user friendly. Once you have used a blackberry you have a taste of the best. Chances are you will be back if you leave just for 4G.
    i and thousands others went from BB to an android device last year will agree that BB currently is not the best at all
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    01-05-11 12:56 PM
    I'm not so sure there is another phone as sluggish as my Storm2. I have to dial S-L-O-W-L-Y. I have to type S-L-O-W-L-Y... the web is glacially slow.

I've used some Android phones that are far faster than my inputting skills. Dunno about the phone you had, but I've tried out some very zippy Androids. I'm not about to buy another slow phone.
    01-05-11 12:59 PM
    I'm not so sure there is another phone as sluggish as my Storm2. I have to dial S-L-O-W-L-Y. I have to type S-L-O-W-L-Y... the web is glacially slow.

I've used some Android phones that are far faster than my inputting skills. Dunno about the phone you had, but I've tried out some very zippy Androids. I'm not about to buy another slow phone.
    I'll give you that, I had the Storm2 and couldn't cope with it, browser was fine if using Opera or Bolt, I know they're not standard but in a world of apps they're all available and fast. I am A LOT faster on my 9700.
    Anyway, we're talking about 4G phones vs 3G phones here really.

01-05-11 01:15 PM
    I'll give you that, I had the Storm2 and couldn't cope with it, browser was fine if using Opera or Bolt, I know they're not standard but in a world of apps they're all available and fast. I am A LOT faster on my 9700.
    Anyway, we're talking about 4G phones vs 3G phones here really.

I know what we are discussing--I'm the thread starter.

"bengal" claimed android 4G phones are sluggish. In the dictionary, next to "sluggish" one will find a pic of a Storm. Had he not claimed android 4G is sluggish and that one shouldn't be too quick to jump on board, I've not have brought up my Storm's speed. fair?
    01-05-11 01:28 PM
    I know what we are discussing--I'm the thread starter.

"bengal" claimed android 4G phones are sluggish. In the dictionary, next to "sluggish" one will find a pic of a Storm. Had he not claimed android 4G is sluggish and that one shouldn't be too quick to jump on board, I've not have brought up my Storm's speed. fair?
    Are you? Lol, I never pay attention

01-05-11 01:29 PM
    The 4G is a tiny tiny market, can't see Rim jumping to it anytime soon. The only reason Android has 4G is because android manufacturers have nothing else left to compete on lol

01-05-11 01:33 PM
    Are you? Lol, I never pay attention

LOL! not to worry. I don't always devote my full attention here, either!
    01-05-11 01:40 PM
    The 4G is a tiny tiny market, can't see Rim jumping to it anytime soon. The only reason Android has 4G is because android manufacturers have nothing else left to compete on lol

Did you really say that? In all seriousness? Nah, you COULDN'T HAVE! LOL!
    01-05-11 01:41 PM
    Did you really say that? In all seriousness? Nah, you COULDN'T HAVE! LOL!
    Truth hurts? Lol
    Actually they started competing on cores now lol, not long before we see a triple core with an extra one on the back for extra precision lol

01-05-11 01:46 PM
    Truth hurts? Lol
    Actually they started competing on cores now lol, not long before we see a triple core with an extra one on the back for extra precision lol

What truth? The truth is Android manufacturers use up to date hardware when they release a device. If they compete by pushing the specs game, that is fine. When I go to buy a new Android device this year, I know the device I am getting has hardware that is relevant in 2011. If I were to go and buy a BB this year, it will look like 2008 all over again.

Also, Android manufacturers are adding 4G not because they have nothing left to compete with. The majority of Android devices from here on out will be 4G. It is becoming the standard (in the US). While RIM wants to remain king in the 2G world and cater to them and forget about everyone else, Android manufacturers will cater to EVERYONE. They have 2G, 3G and 4G covered while RIM has 2G and 3G. I'll take more newer options over refreshes any day.

RIM will be using dual core soon as well. They will just be behind to introduce it like usual. Let's just hope they don't use the same dual core processor for 2 years like they did with the one in the Bold line.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-05-11 at 02:22 PM.
    howarmat and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    01-05-11 02:12 PM
    What truth? The truth is Android manufacturers use up to date hardware when they release a device. If they compete by pushing the specs game, that is fine. When I go to buy a new Android device this year, I know the device I am getting has hardware that is relevant in 2011. If I were to go an by a BB this year, it will look like 2008 all over again.

Also, Android manufacturers are adding 4G not because they have nothing left to compete with. The majority of Android devices from here on out will be 4G. It is becoming the standard (in the US). While RIM wants to remain king in the 2G world and cater to them and forget about everyone else, Android manufacturers will cater to EVERYONE. They have 2G, 3G and 4G covered while RIM has 2G and 3G. I'll take more newer options over refreshes any day.

RIM will be using dual core soon as well. They will just be behind to introduce it like usual. Let's just hope they don't use the same dual core processor for 2 years like they did with the one in the Bold line.

thx. you are the voice of reason.
    01-05-11 02:15 PM
    Some of us have to put up with these refreshes because of our accessories, but if it wasn't for them, I'd be on Android.

I have a Curve that got EOL'd like the day after I bought it. I mean come on! I bought it first-hand from a reputable retail shop, for �230. 4 months later, they were �150. Why did they EOL, because finally, 10 years later, they realised their hardware and software ain't up to scratch.
    01-05-11 02:16 PM
224 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD