4G LTE BlackBerry Program Slowed; Not Releasing until end of 2011? � BBLEAKS.COM – BlackBerry leaks, news, videos, faqs, reviews

There's no way in heck I'm waiting til the end of 2011 or a 4G handset. I hope the info in the article is proven wrong. grrr!

This thursday, we Verizon customers will find out about upcoming Android 4G handsets... CES: Verizon to debut 4G Android smartphones - CES 2011 CNET Blogs

"Specific details of devices to be announced have started trickling out. The Wall Street Journal reported Monday that the company will announce 4G smartphones from Samsung Electronics, Motorola, HTC, and LG Electronics."
    Last edited by dave1812; 01-03-11 at 11:18 PM.
    01-03-11 11:11 PM
    I would much rather them take the time to perfect a 4G BB than to rush one out just to keep up...kinda how the S1 was a huge FAIL, a rushed 4G BB would be in the same boat...not that 4G matters to me anyway...but I guess it would be nice to have
    01-03-11 11:30 PM
    I would much rather them take the time to perfect a 4G BB than to rush one out just to keep up...kinda how the S1 was a huge FAIL, a rushed 4G BB would be in the same boat...not that 4G matters to me anyway...but I guess it would be nice to have
    I'm eligible for an upgrade in Feb--getting a 3G phone would be like buying a b&w TV or a monophonic music system. It's 4G or bust!
    01-03-11 11:32 PM
    I know the part about the android phones is true. I am not totally surprised about the LTE "delay" for rim since Mike made the statement about no QNX until dual core. I think an LTE OS6 device would be kinda a waste and i think RIM knows that too. So Dave it am guessing the storm 2 is your last BB
    01-03-11 11:38 PM
    I think many forget RIM seems to be more focused in developing countries so bringing a LTE device may not be a top priority for them at the moment. Most of the world is not GSM 4G ready so why rush to bring such a device?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-11 12:16 AM
    I like that slogan "4G or bust" ...I understand your position and I would hate to have an upgrade and not have a BB that I felt was to my liking...yea you may as well jump ship until you can get a 4G BB...but who knows when that'll be
    01-04-11 12:24 AM
    I think many forget RIM seems to be more focused in developing countries so bringing a LTE device may not be a top priority for them at the moment. Most of the world is not GSM 4G ready so why rush to bring such a device?

Well the only reason for that is because it allows them to use two plus year old parts they can now pick up for bargain basement prices, which helps keep profits higher, since in developing countries chances are there's very little 3g or better action going on anyway.
    01-04-11 12:27 AM
    Funny thing is the most popular BlackBerry devices in developing countries are 3G devices. Torch, the Bolds, Storm.
    01-04-11 12:32 AM
    Funny thing is the most popular BlackBerry devices in developing countries are 3G devices. Torch, the Bolds, Storm.
    You are talking currently. Technology, in case you hadn't noticed, is shifting as we "speak" to 4G. Why would I buy something in Feb that's already outdated tech?? Makes no sense to this old dude.
    01-04-11 12:57 AM
    You are talking currently. Technology, in case you hadn't noticed, is shifting as we "speak" to 4G. Why would I buy something in Feb that's already outdated tech?? Makes no sense to this old dude.
    the joke totally went over your head i think....
    01-04-11 01:07 AM
    Well, nice to have a 4G device right now. Now only for want of a network. LTE is just now rolling out. Spot here, spot there. By the time you can use your marvel of 4G technology, you're gonna be looking to upgrade anyway, unless, of course, you live in one of the 'gifted' locations. Meanwhile, your $$ goes out the door. It's kinda like drooling over an egg thinking of smoked turkey.

Of course the others are rolling out 4G phones now. But they have just as much 3G capability as A BlackBerry . However, will you get to use it in 4G? Stay tuned....

Last edited by BergerKing; 01-04-11 at 01:31 AM.
    EnnEnn and Ferretling like this.
    01-04-11 01:09 AM
    4G LTE BlackBerry Program Slowed; Not Releasing until end of 2011? � BBLEAKS.COM � BlackBerry leaks, news, videos, faqs, reviews

There's no way in heck I'm waiting til the end of 2011 or a 4G handset. I hope the info in the article is proven wrong. grrr!

This thursday, we Verizon customers will find out about upcoming Android 4G handsets... CES: Verizon to debut 4G Android smartphones - CES 2011 CNET Blogs

"Specific details of devices to be announced have started trickling out. The Wall Street Journal reported Monday that the company will announce 4G smartphones from Samsung Electronics, Motorola, HTC, and LG Electronics."
    You can buy a Sony Ericsson Aspen right now. It has a Qwerty keyboard.

01-04-11 01:16 AM

It seems smart to me. The developing market is much larger than the U.S. Market. They can make higher profits that way. Trying to please a small minority of whining spoiled Americans is no way to make real money. That relatively small group changes their mind every couple of months anyway.

homer1475 likes this.
    01-04-11 01:22 AM
    It's kinda like drooling over an egg thinking of smoked turkey.
    Analogy of the day, BK!

But you do make a really valid point.
    01-04-11 01:29 AM
    It seems smart to me. The developing market is much larger than the U.S. Market. They can make higher profits that way. Trying to please a small minority of whining spoiled Americans is no way to make real money. That relatively small group changes their mind every couple of months anyway.

America is over a third of RIMs current sales. Again, as i said before, that is a big percentage of your sales and trying to please them is something you cant just ignore. That is bigger than any other piece of the pie. America, Canada and the UK make up over 50% of the sales actually. Everyone else piece of the pie is very tiny compared to the big 3
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-04-11 at 11:09 AM.
    01-04-11 01:31 AM
    Well, nice to have a 4G device right now. Now only for want of a network. LTE is just now rolling out. Spot here, spot there. By the time you can use your marvel of 4G technology, you're gonna be looking to upgrade anyway, unless, of course, you live in one of the 'gifted' locations. Meanwhile, your $$ goes out the door. It's kinda like drooling over an egg thinking of smoked turkey.

Of course the others are rolling out 4G phones now. But they have just as much 3G capability as A BlackBerry . However, will you get to use it in 4G? Stay tuned....

LTE devices will be backward compatible with 3G networks.

So it doesn't matter if the network is fully fleshed out yet.

People want these expensive devices to be somewhat future proof.

Also, if they want to put better browsers in devices, it's probably a good idea to allow them to download and upload content faster, no?

T-Mobile (US) and AT&T have upgraded a majority of their networks to HSPA+, are they rolling out any HSPA+ smartphones, even?

8 Months (I'll assume I read "late 2011" instead of "the end of 2011") is a long time to wait and a lot of people who have BBs but will be able to upgrade in that timespan will jump ship to other platforms that offer better, more future proof, devices...

Designing handsets for "now" is what has landed RIM in the position they are in now...
    01-04-11 01:57 AM
    hmm I'm not sure what you are doing with your bb. But if 3g is not fast enough to get your email and browse a bit than i'm really very surprised.
    01-04-11 02:12 AM
    LTE devices will be backward compatible with 3G networks.

So it doesn't matter if the network is fully fleshed out yet.

People want these expensive devices to be somewhat future proof.
    I do believe that is what my post says. It also states that by the time many of them get their network to use it on, they'll be clamoring for the next best thing. It's like buying a 200 mph sports car to drive in Los Angeles. Hey, but if it makes you look cool. And there are very few things in the world of electronics that are 'Future proof'. 8-track, cassettes, BetaMax, Analog TV, etc, etc.

Oh, and I just know the owners of these fantastic new whiz-bangers are gonna love forking over the price of their next device for a network they may not be able to use yet. (Est $10-20 premium for 4G X 2 years.)

01-04-11 02:48 AM
    I say let everybody jump to 4G and free 3G up for the rest of us to use
    No way I would pay that much extra a month just to have faster data(3G is pretty fast already)
    01-04-11 04:49 AM
    ok, so heres my thoughts on it

IT ISNT 4G

im sorry but its nowhere near the speeds of what 4G is actually termed to be, its just marketing speak. or ya could look at it another way and its misinforming the customer on an intentional basis - thats illegal.

Speed requirements for 4G service set the peak download speed at 100 Mbit/s for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).
    Source - wikipedia and ITU-R

do i care if BB doesnt have 4G? well lets just put it this way, will apple have 4G in the iphone5? exactly if its good enough for them.....
    01-04-11 04:58 AM
    4G LTE BlackBerry Program Slowed; Not Releasing until end of 2011? � BBLEAKS.COM � BlackBerry leaks, news, videos, faqs, reviews

You sound surprised. In the past few years, when has RIM been on the cutting edge of technology? I expect refreshes (just adding more memory and maybe a better camera and OS 6 to every BB line) until the first LTE BB is out. Maybe they will introduce QNX on that smartphone.
    01-04-11 06:29 AM
    I do believe that is what my post says. It also states that by the time many of them get their network to use it on, they'll be clamoring for the next best thing. It's like buying a 200 mph sports car to drive in Los Angeles. Hey, but if it makes you look cool. And there are very few things in the world of electronics that are 'Future proof'. 8-track, cassettes, BetaMax, Analog TV, etc, etc.

Oh, and I just know the owners of these fantastic new whiz-bangers are gonna love forking over the price of their next device for a network they may not be able to use yet. (Est $10-20 premium for 4G X 2 years.)

Why are you assuming that I'm disagreeing with everything you said?

And buying it now is better than upgrading to something else and then having to buy it later, which will cost more than the premium fees you've paid up to that date.

The fact an the matter is simple. With RIM devices, you won't even have a choice. That's the issue here.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-04-11 at 06:45 AM.
    01-04-11 06:36 AM
    You sound surprised. In the past few years, when has RIM been on the cutting edge of technology? I expect refreshes (just adding more memory and maybe a better camera and OS 6 to every BB line) until the first LTE BB is out. Maybe they will introduce QNX on that smartphone.
    That's what people forget, beside push email, qwerty keyboards and UMA maybe, Rim has never been cutting age, late to have 3G, late to have memory cards, late to have cameras and when they did they were low mp(but still good quality daylight photos were possible)

I don't know why everybody expects them to compete with android and apple on specs. Blackberry has never been about specs.

homer1475 likes this.
    01-04-11 06:39 AM
    That's what people forget, beside push email, qwerty keyboards and UMA maybe, Rim has never been cutting age, late to have 3G, late to have memory cards, late to have cameras and when they did they were low mp(but still good quality daylight photos were possible)

I don't know why everybody expects them to compete with android and apple on specs. Blackberry has never been about specs.

The 9000 was high end for its time. No one use to expect RIM to put out powerhouses, but now they do. RIM is in the consumer world now, it is much different from the business world. As you can see by total number of Android and iOS devices. I am sure WP7 will start to pick up soon as well and maybe even WebOS in the future. We still have yet to see MeeGo officially on a device and I am sure Nokia will light up Europe with that platform (Think of all the Symbian converts). Honestly in the smartphone world, specs weren't as big of a deal as they are now since the release of the Nexus 1. That started the spec wars (even though the HD2 was out first). You will see with QNX devices that RIM will compete in the spec wars (QNX is a multicore platform). At least initially.
    01-04-11 06:55 AM
    Here is my point i make when ever one of these threads pop up. Phone choice is a personal one. There are those that love bb and may never leave and those like op here who are going to leave for the latest and greatest. Brand loyalty is a concept lost on a lot of the younger crowd. Just so they can stay with the latest and greates phones. Or what ever.

So in light of what op is saying, if you dont like bb, get the f*** out and give your spot in the forums for someone who wont clutter it up with the i hate bb stuff. Not everyone cares about your lifes decisions.
    Jake Storm and Harryl6134 like this.
    01-04-11 08:48 AM
224 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD