I'm considering upgrading to 5.0.0.442 from 5.0.0.405 since I'm tired of reprogramming 3rd party app alerts after every reboot. But since it's not an official AT&T firmware, will I lose the feature that automaticially connects me to "ATT Wi-Fi" everytime I'm within range of one?

TIA.
    02-22-10 11:06 AM
    I did not. Just make sure that you backup your data before upgrading

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 11:26 AM
    With T-Mobile I didn't lose mine!

02-22-10 11:42 AM
    I did not. Just make sure that you backup your data before upgrading

OP, I would go this route, just in case. Better to be safe than sorry as the ole adage goes.
    02-22-10 11:45 AM
    No, you will not.

02-22-10 12:05 PM
    No, I went from .405 to .423; my at&t wifi is still there and works great.
    -Tom

02-22-10 04:30 PM
    I'm considering upgrading to 5.0.0.442 from 5.0.0.405 since I'm tired of reprogramming 3rd party app alerts after every reboot. But since it's not an official AT&T firmware, will I lose the feature that automaticially connects me to "ATT Wi-Fi" everytime I'm within range of one?

TIA.
    No you will not, i have a t-mobile 9700 with .442 and i've found out how to unblock it. and it worked from .405 > .423 > .442 with no issues. it's locked into the coding with a VendorID... it'll work just fine for you.
    02-22-10 04:36 PM
    Software? Firmware is kinda permanent. LOl
    Firmware isn't permanent.... firmware tells the software how to interact with the hardware....

best answer i've seen

What is the difference between firmware and software?
    Firmware is software that is programmed into chips and ususally perform basic instructions , like BIOS, for various components, Network cards, computer BIOS, etc... Software is a program that is is designed to run on a computer's operationg system.
    02-22-10 04:45 PM
    the only way to lose the at&t wifi access if the phone was to be unbranded. the OS doesnt control the wifi link. as long as it remains an at&t branded phone (theres no way for you to even unbrand it) then you will always have your at&t hotspot access.
    02-22-10 05:07 PM
    the only way to lose the at&t wifi access if the phone was to be unbranded. the OS doesnt control the wifi link. as long as it remains an at&t branded phone (theres no way for you to even unbrand it) then you will always have your at&t hotspot access.
    Or change the ATT hotSpot Login VendorID to the VendorID of you phone. I have ATT WiFi on my T-Mo Branded/supplied/ on T-Mo service 9700.

02-22-10 05:51 PM
    Great! Thanks for all the responses.
    02-22-10 06:15 PM
    I upgraded TP 9700/5.0.0.442 and I did not lose anything. 9700/5.0.0.442 is an official release just not for your carrier.

02-22-10 07:19 PM
    Or change the ATT hotSpot Login VendorID to the VendorID of you phone. I have ATT WiFi on my T-Mo Branded/supplied/ on T-Mo service 9700.

and where would you exactly change that?
    02-23-10 01:49 AM
    and where would you exactly change that?
    in the blackberry.alx file found @ ( C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v5.0.0.442_P5.1.0.121 )
    open with the note pad and look for " net_rim_hotspotclient_att.cod" above that you see " <fileset series="Onyx" Java="1.0" WLAN="True" _vendorID="102">
    Change "vendoID=102" to "vendorID=xxx" { where xxx matches your vendorID } [you can find that by pressing "alt & caps & h ] all at the same time.
    save the note pad document
    and then run the app loader.
    02-23-10 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD