Do I get free handsfree bluetooth-like abilities. For example would I hear the person through the car stereo speakers. (Its late so I dont want to goto car to try it out)
    01-05-09 01:38 AM
    LOL I'm not sure but I think so if you have it set to aux on the car deck. But you would have to talk loud or hold the BB close which would defeat the purpose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 03:08 AM
    Interesting concept; I never thought of that! I suppose it would be worth trying out as a "poor man's bluetooth". My brother-in-law sets his phone on the dash and uses the speaker phone mode to get around California's "hands-free" law. I have no problem hearing him when he does that and he says he's not shouting. So, if it turns out that you can hear the phone over the car speakers (and I don't see why you wouldn't), you probably have a working idea there!

01-05-09 06:19 AM
    LOl, now, I would be inerested to hear if anyone tries this, while I have a Bluetooth, my dad has issues with his Bluetooth, it would be much easier to show him how to just plug the phone in and go...
    01-05-09 06:35 AM
    I think the person on the other end would get too much echo

01-05-09 08:53 AM
    I've done it, do it actually. Always have my phone connected to the car speakers for music, and when I get calls I just hit speaker and do get the calls through the car speakers. Have had zero issues.

01-05-09 09:07 AM
    You get nothing. You'd need to plug it into the input ;-).
    01-05-09 09:21 AM
    Ya this will only work with Car Stereos that have the correct inputs some are in the back rca jack type and some are in the front 2.5 or 3.5.

01-05-09 10:19 AM
    great info I,ll give it a try...
    01-05-09 03:58 PM
    I've done it, do it actually. Always have my phone connected to the car speakers for music, and when I get calls I just hit speaker and do get the calls through the car speakers. Have had zero issues.

This is exactly what I'd like to achieve but fear it may be my 3.5mm lead that is stopping me - I can get music through aux no problem, when i hit voice dial, the music pauses, the mic on the bb picks up my voice fine but nothing comes out the speakers, just out the phone. I tried hitting the speakerphone button but it makes no difference...

Any ideas?
    Last edited by workshy_1; 10-09-09 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling...
    10-09-09 05:43 AM
    Most decks you can add left n right channels of RCA jacks to. To me this a good Idea with decks having the input in fromt of the deck as a 2.5 aux input all you would need is a male to male 3.5 to 2.5 audio cable mono or stereo.

10-10-09 02:43 AM
    Most decks you can add left n right channels of RCA jacks to. To me this a good Idea with decks having the input in fromt of the deck as a 2.5 aux input all you would need is a male to male 3.5 to 2.5 audio cable mono or stereo.

Er, thanks. I have a 3.5mm aux input to which I am connecting a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. What I want to understand is why I don't get sound from phone calls but from I do from music... Could people post a reply to that question, not how to connect because I only have one aux option and that is 3.5mm
    10-10-09 03:46 AM
    i tried this.. it failed...the person couldnt hear me ROFL
    10-10-09 06:12 AM
    Not sure, workshy, check ur wiring. pin:319B99D7

10-10-09 06:18 AM
    Maybe it's something to do with the jack plug.

When you plug in the headset it has an extra ring around the jack plug so it can handle the microphone element as well. When you plug in a standard audio lead it will only handle the stereo output which will work fine for music but will obviously not provide a microphone for handsfree conversation.

Maybe the Blackberry is set up to sense that the mic element of hands free is missing while a standard stereo lead is connected so therefore doesn't transfer the conversation.

Your best bet would be the Blackberry visor mount bluetooth handsfree kit that can either work alone or transmit your music and calls by FM to your car stereo?

Either than or create a lead for yourself which also deals with the microphone element of hands free and connect that to your car stereo and you'd then have the audio going to the car stereo but also a microphone available for handsfree speech. I'm guessing though with echo cancelling technology needing to be built into to such a set up it's just not feesable.
    10-10-09 10:29 AM
    Er, thanks. I have a 3.5mm aux input to which I am connecting a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. What I want to understand is why I don't get sound from phone calls but from I do from music... Could people post a reply to that question, not how to connect because I only have one aux option and that is 3.5mm
    When you get a call you need to hit the menu button and click 'activate headset' then you'll hear the call through your speakers.

10-10-09 11:48 AM
    This absolutely works, I do it everyday in my car. I plug my phone in the aux jack and set my radio to aux. I listen to music and then if I get a call I hit the speakerphone button and presto, I can listen to the caller thru my car speakers. Then I just talk using the speakerphone. Works perfectly. When I hang up the call it goes right back to my music. It's like having bluetooth. I also do this in my other car using the cassette deck. I have one of those cassette adapters and it does the same exact thing. Try it, it works!
    10-10-09 12:24 PM
    I simply plug the phone into the aux jack. When I want to make a call, I simply put the speaker on and it projects through the speakers in the car.

I can place the phone just about anywhere, and microphone works great. You just have to tweak the car volume so the echo is minimized.

I usually just set the phone on my shoulder, works better than any bluetooth device I have used.
    10-10-09 06:26 PM
    I started doing this and then all the sudden one day this week. Whenever i hit the speakphone i can hear the person on the other end but they cant hear me? Is there a setting i may have changed?

Anyone else have this problem where you can hear the caller on car stereo but in turn they cant hear you through the speakerphone?
    12-17-09 12:18 PM
    ive done this and it works fine a friend does this also and we have not experienced echo
    12-17-09 12:22 PM
    John, do you know if there a setting that prevents disconnecting a phone call when plugging into headphone jack? this same issue started when people could not hear me on the other end.
    12-17-09 12:34 PM
    I'm having a strange issue with my newer BB. I currently have an VZ 8330 for work that I plug into the AUX jack & works perfectly as a speakerphone, although I don't recall any literature on it, I think the internal mic gain increases to compensate. But the best thing about it is it's plug & play, no other user input needed, just make/receive call as normal. Anyway what is annoying me now is with my personal 9700, I have to select activate headset from menu after initiating a call or receiving a call to use the same setup. Granted, it's just one additional step however, I can't understand why it can't default when it senses the plug? I haven't tried the stock headset w/ mic yet, but would think it ridiculous if the phone will still require you to activate headset when getting a call? My company is likely to upgrade my 8330 to an 8530 which my coworkers tell me mimics the 9700 in this missing functionality. I suppose I just have to hope they update the firmware at some point if others feel same way.

01-16-10 11:35 AM
    FINALLY!!! I just confirmed a few minutes ago that the above procedures work like a champ! I plugged in my BB 8900 to the AUX port of my car, I made a call and hit the speaker button on my phone and I can hear the conversation through my car speakers!! Thanks everybody!
    09-30-10 07:36 PM
    Do I get free handsfree bluetooth-like abilities. For example would I hear the person through the car stereo speakers. (Its late so I dont want to goto car to try it out)

I built my own cable and it works like a charm; I snipped the earphones off of my headset and soldered the wires to a 3.5mm audiojack cable I also cut. When I plug the headset in my Bold 9780 and the other end into the car radio's aux input I can both listen to music, and when a call comes through I can set the volume via the radio, and it seems the headset mic pics up very little echo. I'm happy and the whole setup cost me ZAR20!

10-01-11 09:21 AM
    all i know is that if i use AUX in my Kenwood my Curve plays things like music through the speakers but the ringtones and person usually still come from the phone itself not the car speakers. and when i tried using a hands free device that uses an empty FM band with my iPhone everything worked except the microphone.
    10-01-11 02:09 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD