It turns out that after talking with Blackberry tech support, my PIN and IMEI numbers are blocked and I cannot use my 8320 (unlocked, originally from T-mobile) at all on the RIM network. As a result I can't download new service books... all I want to do with the phone is have the ability to connect to Wifi routers. Is this going to be impossible for me?

Presently I have a generic data plan through Fido in Canada, and I can use the Opera browser to browse the edge network. I cannot however download any service books using the Request feature through the Host Routing Table, through Fido, and that must be blocked because of my phone being blocked by blackberry I assume.

Interestingly, I already have some service books on my phone, only two of them, and they are "Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig]" and "Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP]". I wonder if these are configured specifically from T-mobile and will not work with my plan with Fido ?

Also interestingly, when I try to connect to ANY router (at Starbucks, my home network router, free Wifi in malls, open wifi in hotels etc... ) I can indeed browse for Wifi connections and attempt to connect to these networks (even the totally open ones), but I alway get an error W010 message. Even when I properly configure security on my router, set the router to WEP and b/g and not n etc, but even the completely open connections fail!

Is there anything at all I can do to get Wifi to work? Or am I hooped because the phone PIN is blocked by Blackberry?

Thanks.
    04-16-10 12:08 PM
    Basically you're screwed. Sorry bud.
    04-16-10 12:40 PM
    Maybe if I used crackutil or something to copy service books from somebody else's 8320 on the fido network? I'm just wondering if there is anything at all, even if it seems impractical. I'm trying to understand why it does not work in detail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 01:43 PM
    Copying SB doesn't work. I've tried that myself. As long as the HRT remains empty and won't get a data connection.
    04-16-10 02:02 PM
    You will not get answers here in this forum. Sorry ...
    04-16-10 02:02 PM
    I'd be more interested in why the PIN and IMEI are blocked by RIM.
    04-16-10 05:59 PM
    I'd be more interested in why the PIN and IMEI are blocked by RIM.
    It turns out I found out the phone is stolen or counterfeit and the PIN and IMEI were modified in hardware to hide the phone probably. I got it off eBay and it was probably stolen. I filed a dispute through Ebay Protection, and hours after I last posed in this thread I received a notification that I won the dispute. So I'm returning the phone for a refund.... :P

Thanks for the help everybody, but it seems I won't be needing that help any more since I won't have this phone for much longer

Stolen phones kinda suck 'cause they get blocked by carriers and stuff...
    04-16-10 10:14 PM
    pleased to hear of the outcome. Good luck next time.
    04-16-10 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD