11-21-18 04:37 AM
110 123 ...
tools
    I kinda believe the keyone is the modernised bold
    And the motion is the modernised "z"
    If they where to release a new slider, (I like to think of the priv as a modern torch but unfortunately execution of the device wasn't great)
    What do you think it would be called? I doubt they would use the "priv" name again since its a different company manufacturering and they just wouldnt wanna carry on "priv" , as a new slider what do you think it'd be called

(Ps this isn't a rumour thing I know it's unlikely I just was thinking about it and couldnt imagine what they'd call it)
    04-16-18 08:23 AM
    Unlikely
    04-16-18 08:29 AM
    I'm not sayin it's gonna happen hahaha it almost defo won't, but if it DID I wanna hear wot creative names people think it would be called
    04-16-18 08:45 AM
    No, I meant it should be called "Unlikely" /sar
    Marcus R, TGR1, Wezard and 1 others like this.
    04-16-18 08:46 AM
    OHH AHAHAH yeh like that, it's sad that it actually sounds better to me than "priv"
    brookie229 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-16-18 08:49 AM
    Flop!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-16-18 09:21 AM
    To use baseball analogy, Slide to home? Or homeslider?? Lol

Or stow retracted kb in FRONT of the lower screen portion to afford full time Shortcut availability and call it something like "Shortstop"...?? Lol.

KeySlide?

Lol.

Imo, biggest handicap of conventional slider acceptance is that they seem historically configured by slab phreaks who really don't understand PKB use. They're far, FAR too eager to hide the pkb away. If they'll get some true pkb phreaks involved they'd find out why the classic candybar style is still most popular of PKB configuration... Full time PKB availability!

What good are PKB shortcuts & speed dials while the pkb is hiding behind the screen? How comfortably productive is PKB typing with a too tall top heavy handset made even more too tall & too top heavy while PKB is deployed? Who really needs a full slab sized view while typing? I'm rarely focused on more than a few lines, while actually entering characters. Myself. A simple scroll rolls up remaining document, when wanted. Nicely effective even on this "tiny" screen 9930.

Park the retracted PKB in FRONT of the lower screen while retracted, shift resolution between 3:2 portrait to 4:3 landscape based on PKB position, and you'll have a compact while typing, 100% PKB availability, configuration that PKB enthusiasts can happily embrace. Imo. Fwiw.

Then we can at least call it "sensibly retractable"... ??? Lol.
    04-16-18 09:29 AM
    The BlackBerry Mobile BankruptcyOne.
    04-16-18 09:31 AM
    The BlackBerry Mobile BankruptcyOne.
    This is pretty much what I was going to roll with until I saw Conite's post
    04-16-18 09:34 AM
    the blackberry no1wants
    04-16-18 10:50 AM
    Ahahahah so much hate for the form factor, my phone path has baso gone
    Bold 9900 - crap Samsung - keyone so I've never experienced the slider form factor, it always seemed kinda cool in concept though just executed poorly , I'll always prefer the candybar form factor.
    I really do miss the whole lineup tho of having a traditional candy bar phone, a touchscreen "normie" phone and the slider for people in the middle, those 3 form factors seem to me to be the best way to cover all potential bases.
    04-16-18 11:02 AM
    04-16-18 05:29 PM
    It's a shame, because the slider format has some promise in allowing both a PKB and a full-screen experience. If only the current design focus wasn't on "Thinner! Lighter! Flimsier!" I've love a heavier tank of a device that allowed both a full-screen experience and the ability to slide out a clicky PKB to hammer out long messages.

Edit: with a kick-@$$ battery to get you through a few days.
    Marcus R and Trisk333 like this.
    04-16-18 10:31 PM
    Yesss exactly, it seems to me to be the best way for BlackBerry to target the flagship market. But alas I guess for some reason the market says otherwise, blackberry might just be designated to its small niche now with its "classic" form factors, which is totally good for us but it's a shame that we'll probs not see a more mass market blackberry with the same keyboard dna again.
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    04-17-18 05:19 AM
    The Failure....
    04-17-18 07:00 AM
    The Failure....
    But...all the major US carriers had the PRIV? Oh that's right, they killed it by never updating it. They always find a way. ROTFL.
    04-17-18 06:48 PM
    But...all the major US carriers had the PRIV? Oh that's right, they killed it by never updating it. They always find a way. ROTFL.
    The PRIV was supported far better than DTEK line and while sales were dismal for the PRIV, the DTEK sales were even worse, especially in North America.

Even now, the PRIV has been supported better than DTEK. Carrier devices will not guarantee success in North America but, no carrier devices, will guarantee failure.
    04-17-18 07:36 PM
    The PRIV was supported far better than DTEK line and while sales were dismal for the PRIV, the DTEK sales were even worse, especially in North America.

Even now, the PRIV has been supported better than DTEK. Carrier devices will not guarantee success in North America but, no carrier devices, will guarantee failure.
    Oh I see. So the PRIV was a failure, just less of a failure than the DTEKs. Well, at least you can say all that carrier support counted for something. It's a convincing argument. Fifty shades of fail. Lol.
    04-17-18 08:30 PM
    Oh I see. So the PRIV was a failure, just less of a failure than the DTEKs. Well, at least you can say all that carrier support counted for something. It's a convincing argument. Fifty shades of fail. Lol.
    Please define success??
    04-17-18 09:07 PM
    I feel like you're really bothered with the amount of influence the NA carriers and more specifically, the USA carriers influence the mobile space whether it's hardware or software? I'm not justifying it, nor do I necessarily like it, but thing are what they are. Capitalism is fair and unfair depending on where you're standing.
    04-17-18 09:35 PM
    I feel like you're really bothered with the amount of influence the NA carriers and more specifically, the USA carriers influence the mobile space whether it's hardware or software? I'm not justifying it, nor do I necessarily like it, but thing are what they are. Capitalism is fair and unfair depending on where you're standing.
    Not bothered at all, merely pointing out the irony of how quick you are to label the PRIV a failure despite the fact it was carried by every major US carrier. According to that metric (your personal favourite, it seems) it was actually more of a success than any BlackBerry Android since. It's too bad those same carriers, like AT&T who said they were disappointed in the high return rate...didn't updated it from Lollipop sooner or even push the security updates in a timely manner.

Having said that, the main problem with the PRIV was the fact it was running Android instead of BB10. Most BlackBerry fans at the time had no interest in Android whatsoever. Android was the main reason for the high return rate and poor sales of the PRIV. Not the freaking slider. LMAO.
    04-17-18 10:59 PM
    The BlackBerry Selectric (with a nod to the legacy of the ibm electric typewriter).....perhaps in the U.S. it could be rebadged the Remington (again an ode), because well, once they take a second shot at it, they'll hit the target bang-on . Slider locked and loaded. (lol)
    04-17-18 11:38 PM
    The Blackberry UnderCover (cause the keyboard slides out from under the cover and yes that other dtek-tive like meaning)
    Marcus R likes this.
    04-17-18 11:53 PM
    Wolverine....snickity snick out it comes. Unleash the beast.
    Marcus R likes this.
    04-18-18 12:37 AM
    Priv was a terrible name, for one thing. Akin to naming it "toilet" or "commode"...in NA, at least. Lol. Doesn't take a marketing genius to predict that handicap up front. SOME of us did! Fwiw. Lol.

Deeper in, if the strategy was to migrate legacy BB, it needed to resemble legacy BB. That means full-time keyboard prioritized candybar. Priv was a slab with a sorta-keyboard hidden away as a part time afterthought. A too tall slab made even more top heavy while keyboard is extended for typing! Just when chassis stability is most critical!

Also, TOO many BB legacy users cherish full-time keyboard shortcut and speed dial availability. Impossible with a part-time keyboard implementation. As with historically "conventional" slider config. Afaik.

Attracting interest from keyboard prioritized BB legacy demands a full-time, ALWAYS available PKB! That means keeping keyboard out front, even when retracted!

Slab phreaks might possibly find happy in a slab with a substandard PKB attached?? Idk. BB legacy enthusiasts, tho, demonstrably find happy in a PKB with a substandard display attached!! What part of that priority is so difficult for BB itself to accept?? Maybe BB's M.R. dep needs to get out from their desk and ASK some BB legacy enthusiasts?? Lol.

As a legacy BB enthusiast, myself, the slider that would attract my interest is one that LOOKed and WORKed like a full-time KB prioritized "9900/Classic" while its keyboard is stowed! I'd then be quite happy to suffer the too tall slab/KB combo during the rare occasions per week I might desire larger display. BUT, the PKB must ALWAYS, 100% duty cycle, BE there...!!! NEVER hidden. That's me, anyway.

Not saying there's a giant market of "me" out there, but if that was their target, Priv missed it by 180 degrees azimuth error. Imo. Starting with the name!!! Lol.

Since the name BlackBerry itself reportedly derived from BB's PKB visual cues... How about naming a full-time PKB slider variant "BerryOne" ?? Lol.
    04-18-18 03:33 AM
110 123 ...