It's just a mini thought of mine. Blackberry has been the choice for President Obama. Even if he had that hunk of metal Sectera Edge (whatever), he stuck with his Blackberry. Obama is the US President (you all should know or you are seriously cut off from the world). He has chosen his Blackberry as his chosen one. The question is why? I though trolls said Blackberries aren't worth it. If they really weren't, then why is he still using a Blackberry? I mean. The ideal choice would be Android (OS is American) or iPhone because they are American. Like let me explain further.

Obama has:

An American Car
    An American House
    An American Plane

etc.

So why did he keep the Blackberry if iPhone have the "same" security and the "same" functionality. I don't want to troll. Just thinking about it.

Also its just a harmless thread meant to be for thinking and discussion not for trolling and stuff
    This is an easy question as it has been repeated over and over again on cnet and other major websites asking the same thing. Blackberry's cannot be hacked. Every Blackberry is encrypted. Being fully secure is not the only reason why blackberry's are used with major business corporations. FedEx and major big companies use Blackberry solely due to its encrypted software and its functionality to send emails and copy and paste and so forth.

For all you IPhone and android troll fan boys!!! Android and IPhone both can be hacked. It does not use encrypted software. IPhone would love nothing more then to buy software from RIM for their devices but that is the only way RIM can survive so they hold onto it.

These are the facts and the answer to original poster. If you would like to check my information ask any big dog in any major corporation that furnishes their employees with blackberries.

Do you not remember all the test the secret service ran on Obama's phone before they allowed him to continue using it once elected? It was a big deal because he wanted to keep it and was first president to want to use a smart phone while in office. If you dont remember fresh your memory and Google it.
    Last edited by GtownEric; 12-30-11 at 09:19 AM.
    12-30-11 09:16 AM
    A BES device is secure, a blackberry using only BIS is far less secure and is about equal to androids and iphones
    12-30-11 09:37 AM
    BES is secure, a blackberry using only BIS is far less secure and is about equal to androids and iphones

I would heavily disagree with you here. BIS is still fairly encrypted.
    12-30-11 09:41 AM
    I would heavily disagree with you here. BIS is still fairly encrypted.
    I would agree with your disagreement, BIS is next to BES in terms of encryption and security. Now foreign governments are all complaining about the chaos that has been happening with this movement and that social rights movement, demanding RIM to find out who's been causing trouble.

If BIS was NOT secure, would other governments be complaining?
    12-30-11 10:04 AM
    A BES device is secure, a blackberry using only BIS is far less secure and is about equal to androids and iphones
    That is still not correct, as there still is 1 additional layer of encryption over the content being sent beyond iOS and Android devices,

Also there currently is no way to gain root access to a Blackberry even with physical access, where as there have been ways to access Android and iPhone devices once physical access is obtained even with Password protection

BUT a BIS BlackBerry doesn't come close to a BES BlackBerry in terms of over all security
    12-30-11 10:14 AM
    That is still not correct, as there still is 1 additional layer of encryption over the content being sent beyond iOS and Android devices,

Also there currently is no way to gain root access to a Blackberry even with physical access, where as there have been ways to access Android and iPhone devices once physical access is obtained even with Password protection

BUT a BIS BlackBerry doesn't come close to a BES BlackBerry in terms of over all security
    i agree there is 1 layer as its transmitted securely to the carrier, but after that is free for the world just as using a PC from my understanding.

And my main point was BES vs BIS/android/iOS is not as close like you mention. The user becomes the weakest link in the security chain IMO on those devices
    12-30-11 10:20 AM
    Maybe because its more secure.
    12-30-11 10:24 AM

I thought that the DefCon hackers had hacked into Blackberry handsets (as well as Android and iOS) just recently, if I recall using a security exploit in the browser. I don't recall the details, but wouldn't you get access to the handset and all emails, etc if this was the case?
    12-30-11 10:33 AM
    Because once you take all the apps away from Android and iPhone, they are no better than a BlackBerry, plus his BlackBerry in 2008 when he started his Campaign for Office was still at the top of the pile...
    So, THAT begs a question: other than the app ecosystem, in what ways has the BB fallen behind in the past three years? And is there anything that can be done quickly to at least improve the situation?
    12-30-11 11:03 AM
    I thought that the DefCon hackers had hacked into Blackberry handsets (as well as Android and iOS) just recently, if I recall using a security exploit in the browser. I don't recall the details, but wouldn't you get access to the handset and all emails, etc if this was the case?
    It was a webkit browser exploit that gained access to certain data on the device, but was not root. Disabling javascript disabled this exploit and it was patched from RIM in later releases of the OS.
    12-30-11 11:06 AM
    So, THAT begs a question: other than the app ecosystem, in what ways has the BB fallen behind in the past three years? And is there anything that can be done quickly to at least improve the situation?
    The OS itself is stale and has not changed in many many years, nor has the overall design of the phone really. RIM never had anything cutting edge in terms of asthetics, that they need to fix. Like them or hate them, Apple makes "pretty" pieces of technology.
    12-30-11 11:10 AM

Now, I readily hold that THE ecosystem makes the phone. Security means absolutely nothing to the average consumer, I think. The average person is more at risk by FB and Twitter postings than tech leaks. I never used a BlackBerry for security; I used it for it's capability.

All this talk about the President and his device is fairly inconsequential to regular people. I need to do remote management, tethering and other advanced functions. I didn't need those features in 2008. Neither did the President. He doesn't need that functionality now.

But back to the point... is RIM that far behind? I don't think so. I think that on its own, the BB is a great device. The problem is is that phones are not weighed by themselves anymore, but by overall functionality. There is no getting away from the ecosystem.
    12-30-11 11:25 AM
    Now, I readily hold that THE ecosystem makes the phone. Security means absolutely nothing to the average consumer, I think. The average person is more at risk by FB and Twitter postings than tech leaks. I never used a BlackBerry for security; I used it for it's capability.

All this talk about the President and his device is fairly inconsequential to regular people. I need to do remote management, tethering and other advanced functions. I didn't need those features in 2008. Neither did the President. He doesn't need that functionality now.

But back to the point... is RIM that far behind? I don't think so. I think that on its own, the BB is a great device. The problem is is that phones are not weighed by themselves anymore, but by overall functionality. There is no getting away from the ecosystem.

I agree, as I said in a post about RIM needing to wow people, RIM needs to wow people by bringing an ecosystem that consumers will want to be a part of, RIM has one advantage over iOS and Android, and that is BlackBerry's "Ecosystem" has always been about communication and social interaction, where as iOS was about being self contained, doing things with your self, your own personal entertainment, games, music, it was for you, and Android doesn't have a clear "vision" it is a hobbyist ecosystem, people hack play and slash with it to make it do cool stuff for the user, but it hasn't been about sharing what you're doing.

FaceBook, twitter, foursquare all show that people want to show off what they are doing and have virtual social interaction, RIM needs to leverage their ecosystem around this, and I really think that they do get this, just don't know how to do it yet, which is why they have focused all superapps around working with BBM and really promote BBM integration.
    12-30-11 12:05 PM
    Not root access, and it was through the browser, email and contacts were still protected,

and a locked device would not be accessed with the exploit, needs to be unlocked first.
    12-30-11 12:08 PM

RIM fell behind in developer support, according to app developers RIM is making moves leaps and bounds in bringing that support up, BUT! it still isn't at the level of google, iOS, or Microsoft,
    That is RIM's first step
    Next Step would be to advance BBM Music, change it's billing options, and bring more features into it
    Next Step would be to revamp App World, it needs to run faster, have better organization, for both PlayBook and BlackBerry's

Those are 3 steps that RIM needs to make OS6 and OS7 devices a hotter item, in the short term, and they are foundations for long term with BB10
    12-30-11 12:12 PM
    Not root access, and it was through the browser, email and contacts were still protected,

and a locked device would not be accessed with the exploit, needs to be unlocked first.
    Really? That's all you can do through a browser? Anyway, BB has always been very stable with OS fixes and stability

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-11 12:17 PM
    RIM fell behind in developer support, according to app developers RIM is making moves leaps and bounds in bringing that support up, BUT! it still isn't at the level of google, iOS, or Microsoft,
    That is RIM's first step
    Next Step would be to advance BBM Music, change it's billing options, and bring more features into it
    Next Step would be to revamp App World, it needs to run faster, have better organization, for both PlayBook and BlackBerry's

Those are 3 steps that RIM needs to make OS6 and OS7 devices a hotter item, in the short term, and they are foundations for long term with BB10
    I couldn't have said something like this better. They need to take these steps now to survive.

12-30-11 12:20 PM
    i used bb not because im over 40. i prefer bb coz it does what i needed to do. emails bb txt messaging. if i want gaming platforms i will definately move to android or iphones. but i dont play that much. and if i do thats were my playbook comes in or my hacked nook colour.
    12-30-11 12:52 PM
    Really? That's all you can do through a browser? Anyway, BB has always been very stable with OS fixes and stability

And the browser's javascript had to be enabled. If it's not enabled, the hack doesn't work.
    12-30-11 03:06 PM
    do you know how much of our tax dollars went into maximizing the security of his Blackberry Curve 8300? Yeah, he better keep that until he's out of the office, otherwise people will protest and demand impeachment....

hehehehehehe...J/K just a little laugh....
    Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 12-30-11 at 03:31 PM.
    12-30-11 03:29 PM
    do you know how much of our tax dollars went into maximizing the security of his Blackberry Curve 8300? Yeah, he better keep that until he's out of the office, otherwise people will protest and demand impeachment....

hehehehehehe...J/K just a little laugh....
    From what Ive seen (and heard) I think hes still rocking the 8700
    12-30-11 04:16 PM
    It's just a mini thought of mine. Blackberry has been the choice for President Obama. Even if he had that hunk of metal Sectera Edge (whatever), he stuck with his Blackberry. Obama is the US President (you all should know or you are seriously cut off from the world). He has chosen his Blackberry as his chosen one. The question is why? I though trolls said Blackberries aren't worth it. If they really weren't, then why is he still using a Blackberry? I mean. The ideal choice would be Android (OS is American) or iPhone because they are American. Like let me explain further.

Obama has:

An American Car
    An American House
    An American Plane

etc.

So why did he keep the Blackberry if iPhone have the "same" security and the "same" functionality. I don't want to troll. Just thinking about it.

Also its just a harmless thread meant to be for thinking and discussion not for trolling and stuff
    Obama does not have a normal Blackberry. The device has been hardened by the NSA and another security agency. There was a History Channel show, "The President's Book of Secrets" documentary, which detail some of the things done to his device. For intents and purposes, he just has a Blackberry like shell.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-30-11 at 05:59 PM.
    12-30-11 05:51 PM
    Why? Because commies use iphones.
    12-30-11 06:00 PM
    Why? Because commies use iphones.
    That's funny! How are you liking your 9810? I returned mine, thinking I would get the 9900, but have had some reservations.
    12-30-11 07:16 PM
    NO MANUAL - WHY?

I finally got the 32 GB PB
    I was so exited � until I opened the package.
    Nice black box � nice PB � but obsoletely � no instructions.
    What a bummer! � What is RIM thinking of?
    After hour and a half � trying to sign in to BB � for an account - got the � error �>

Sigh in Failed
    Unknown server error (30641)

Should I just return this �thing�

And an other ting � the creating an account here is = nuts!
    12-30-11 07:56 PM
145 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD