For those who jumped to the iphone and android would you have stayed if BB had a better or up to par internet browser? I think I would have being I was so into BB and comfy with the system but as time goes on I spend alot of time online with my mobile device and it was just not cutting it.

I switched because of this mainly, glad I did because I think everything works better/faster on my X but thats not the point of this thread.
    08-01-10 07:08 PM
    That is one of the main reasons I just ordered an iPhone 4. I have lost count how many times I have had to use my wife's iPhone to look something up. A co-worked just sent me an email this weekend and I could not view the link the sent on the native browser or Bolt. I opened it on the iPhone and the embedded Youtube video opened up immediately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 07:57 PM
    I had Andriods and came back to BB....honestly on wifi it is as fast as my Andriods were....however miss the real estate. I had older Andriods though in a mytouch3g and Cliq and like everything more on my 9700 minus screen size and app selectio....bout it.

I do like the newer Andriods though in the Incredible and X, but X is huge!

Waiting till 9800 comes out and if that don't suffice, I may go back to Andriod, but need to come out with UMA...since I have used it makes me realize how nice it is to use my phone at the house, lol!

08-01-10 08:45 PM
    not a flame, but my bb's on wifi were nowhere near as fast as my X is on 3g. Download speed or page loading speed.
    08-01-10 09:20 PM
    X is a lot more advanced over the Andriods I had....bigger processor as well IIRC....I was using the X on wifi, which is faster than 3G yesterday and was lighting quick, but not earth shattering compared to my berry....so..Now I am sure 3G to my 3G would smash me as I am on T-Mobile and was messing with Verizon which gets much better 3G service...and should be faster honestly due to the processor.

08-01-10 10:00 PM
    I always here complaints with the BB browser. Could the native browser be better? Of course it could. Is it as bad as some people make it it out to be? I don't think so. JMO
    08-01-10 10:22 PM
    Well - the native BB browser isn't very robust but the webkit browser in OS6 looks promising. We shall see.

08-01-10 10:26 PM
    I might consider coming back to BB if they have a CDMA version of the 9800. The browser is the only thing I hated besides the truncated emails. Hopefully the OS6 webkit browser works as good as it looks.
    08-01-10 10:33 PM
    The main reason I left was too many issues with my Storm (got it on launch day), random reboots, multiple battery pulls a day, memory leaks, and overall buggy OS's which never seemed to get fixed. Compile that with the issues my wife has with her Tour's OS's I am glad I made the jump to Android. Android just works as advertised (and works really well if you play in Google's world) , Blackberry could never deliver what was promised. It seemed like RIM was just stringing us along with the promise of the next OS update, then it was 5.0 it will be great you will see everything will be fixed, then it was 5.0.XXX will be the end all be all OS's, now it is we have it all figured out and 6.0 is going be revolutionary and the isht. So the browser was on my list for leaving but not the only reason.
    08-01-10 10:42 PM
    I think we're all looking forward to the BB6 browser.
    08-01-10 10:46 PM
    I always here complaints with the BB browser. Could the native browser be better? Of course it could. Is it as bad as some people make it it out to be? I don't think so. JMO
    Blackberry's native browser is nothing short of unusable. It's literally dial-up vs. Fios.
    08-01-10 11:22 PM
    11 you add nothing here. You not only are wrong but you state things with the goal of creating conflict. The browser on my 9700 is instant on wifi.

08-02-10 12:06 AM
    I might consider coming back to BB if they have a CDMA version of the 9800. The browser is the only thing I hated besides the truncated emails. Hopefully the OS6 webkit browser works as good as it looks.
    As one who hasn't jumped yet (I am currently eligible for annual upgrade, full NE2 upgrade in March 2011), I agree with your commentary. You can get around the browser shortcomings with Bolt or Opera Mini, but that truncated email issue is absolute BS in my opinion. Rank that right up there with the BIS outages, where your $30 a month data plan is working just fine and your carrier has full coverage, but because the friggen RIM server has a problem you can't use your data features. Those two factors alone are reason to jump to Droid, in my opinion. There is no mention of a fix for truncated emails in BB 6, so we are to upgrade to a new BB just to get a nicer browser?

I'd be all over BB 6, if it wasn't necessary to upgrade the phone. All impressions in the forums is that devices like the Tour will not get BB 6 because of lack of requisite memory. But I am not feeling the idea of getting a new phone just to have a nicer browser and still have the truncated emails, be at risk for BIS outages, and the other headaches like reboot times and OS issues that BB's have. I am curious enough about the 9800 slider that it may keep me on Blackberry, but without a fix for truncated email, I am leaning strongly towards going Droid as my next upgrade.

Right now that Droid Incredible sure has my attention. About a quarter of an inch taller and wider than the Tour, virtual keyboard as easy to type on as the Tour keyboard (OK, closest thing you can get with a virtual keyboard), and very nice operation. Gigs of device memory, cheaper apps, nice alternative to the Iphone. It's growing on me. I still like the physical keyboard of the Tour, but I think I can come to like that Droid Incredible. The X may be too big, but I haven't played with it yet.

P.S. OP, I haven't left yet, but I thought my feedback might be relevant to your question.
    08-02-10 01:08 AM
    11 you add nothing here. You not only are wrong but you state things with the goal of creating conflict. The browser on my 9700 is instant on wifi.

No it's not, and I'm not talking about wap sites. Instant my a$$.
    08-02-10 01:20 AM
    these threads are just stupid and moot. you have already switched, so go talk about it on your droid forum. i have no problem with the BB browser. it may not be safari, or whatever browser comes with the friggin android OS. it may not be the best mobile browser out there. but i dont care. it does what i need it to do. what it cant do, i let opera or bolt pick up the slack. im just tired of seeing these stupid posts. who cares, let it go.

"I switched because of this mainly, glad I did because I think everything works better/faster on my X but thats not the point of this thread"

then what is?? sure sounds like it.
    08-02-10 01:43 AM
    Same here. It can be frustrating to use the brower on BB. But I still love my BB
    08-02-10 02:56 AM

My 9650 bold was no even in the same league as the android browser and thats on wifi.

On a side note I want to access my phone on the fly usually meaning no wifi. If I have wifi access I'll just use my pc.
    08-02-10 06:04 AM
    these threads are just stupid and moot. you have already switched, so go talk about it on your droid forum. i have no problem with the BB browser. it may not be safari, or whatever browser comes with the friggin android OS. it may not be the best mobile browser out there. but i dont care. it does what i need it to do. what it cant do, i let opera or bolt pick up the slack. im just tired of seeing these stupid posts. who cares, let it go.

"I switched because of this mainly, glad I did because I think everything works better/faster on my X but thats not the point of this thread"

then what is?? sure sounds like it.
    My wife is still stuck with a BB so I'm not going anywhere, these are no different than the ton of "blackberry to android/iphone back to bb" posts.

Also you are stuck in the dinosaur age with your "it does what I need it to do" the only time I ever hear this comment is when people try to stick up for the BB.

Some of us want our moneys worth when spending on mobile data plan.
    08-02-10 06:07 AM
    Also you are stuck in the dinosaur age with your "it does what I need it to do" the only time I ever hear this comment is when people try to stick up for the BB.
    Exactly. That's similar to someone calling a sports figure "gritty". Which is code for saying that the player isn't very talented, but he tries hard!

Some of us want our moneys worth when spending on mobile data plan.
    I guess some people don't ming paying $30+/mo. for just email.
    08-02-10 06:43 AM
    Blackberry's native browser is nothing short of unusable. It's literally dial-up vs. Fios.
    HOW is it unusable when SO MANY people on this forum post using it

and people like my self have little need for anything else. the BB browser is NOT a great browser by any means, but it is far from unusable.

Having my iPod touch and my BB on my desk in a hotel room, I still pick up my BB to find a local restaurant and NOT my iPod Touch, the browser experience for a google search is negligibly different,

You are a very elitist. oh it's not good enough for me, so it must be useless and junk for everyone else...
    08-02-10 07:09 AM

I guess some people don't ming paying $30+/mo. for just email.

Some of us the 30+/mo is a really low cost for the efficiency that the BB brings with email handling...

Not saying things couldn't be better, but right now, BB is the best option.

Some people can't afford netbooks, and the proper tools to do their jobs, I guess so they just use a smartphone to fill in the gaps.
    08-02-10 07:15 AM

and people like my self have little need for anything else. the BB browser is NOT a great browser by any means, but it is far from unusable.

Having my iPod touch and my BB on my desk in a hotel room, I still pick up my BB to find a local restaurant and NOT my iPod Touch, the browser experience for a google search is negligibly different,

You are a very elitist. oh it's not good enough for me, so it must be useless and junk for everyone else...
    Elitist? I guess if spending MY money a certain way and expecting a certain level of performance is elitist, then guilty as charged. So many people on this forum use it because they have no choice. Yes, Bolt and OM are slightly better alternatives, but why should you have to walk around with 43 browsers on your phone to perform different tasks? And sorry, but I would like a browser to be a little more functional than performing google searches (but I assume that you were joking with that one!).
    08-02-10 07:33 AM
    For those who jumped to the iphone and android would you have stayed if BB had a better or up to par internet browser? I think I would have being I was so into BB and comfy with the system but as time goes on I spend alot of time online with my mobile device and it was just not cutting it.

I switched because of this mainly, glad I did because I think everything works better/faster on my X but thats not the point of this thread.
    No i would not of stayed with RIM, .lack of applications, lack of consumer end products, lack of care for the end guy made me leave them.

Sold my blackberry 9700 for a cool price of 125$ over the week end. Felt like i was ripping someone off.
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-02-10 at 07:51 AM.
    08-02-10 07:38 AM
    simple when you only have dial up, you have no clue what FIOS is..... pretty simple.
    08-02-10 07:39 AM
    Right now perhaps the only reason I have not jumped shipped is I'm grandfathered in on a great rate and that is the only reason.

I do not like RIM browser, I use it out of habit but often have to jump to OperaMini to get something to work on a website. But Opera text is too tiny for me to use all the time.

I wanted a Storm but Storm isn't handled on Tmobile. I want a full size screen and now that Rim is going to sell what seems to be a real one, guess what, it sells only thru ATT, I'd like the blackpad, but is that selling only thru ATT?, who knows. Thats why I hated iphone as it was proprietary to ATT.

I'm not jumping around and around providers to get a new improved BB when I remain loyal to what has been a good provider for me (Tmobile).

I have the 9700 but someday I will leave BB behind and get an Android if Rim doesn't make their products available to all providers. EVEN if it costs me more money.
    08-02-10 07:48 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD