Elitist? I guess if spending MY money a certain way and expecting a certain level of performance is elitist, then guilty as charged. So many people on this forum use it because they have no choice. Yes, Bolt and OM are slightly better alternatives, but why should you have to walk around with 43 browsers on your phone to perform different tasks? And sorry, but I would like a browser to be a little more functional than performing google searches (but I assume that you were joking with that one!).
    NO the elitist attitude is that of, saying well it's not good enough for me, it must be junk/trash/unusable, when clearly it isn't the best, but it is FAR from unusable. and no I wasn't joking, When I am away from any of my notebooks the only reason I would be surfing the internet would be to go on google sites, (gmail/maps/finance/news/search) all work very well on the BB.
    IT could be way better, but it is far from unusable.

simple when you only have dial up, you have no clue what FIOS is..... pretty simple.
    unusable (adj.)

1.not capable of being used.

If I know about FIOS or not, I can still use 56K, doesn't mean I get the best experience, but it is usable.

I don't want to defend the BB browser vs the other browsers because it does undoubtedly suck, but it is FAR from unusable, that was my qualm, and really what drew me into this thread..
    08-02-10 07:52 AM
    I'm not claiming the /current/ Blackberry browser is unusable. However when i had my 8900/9700 and my sister and brother in law had their iPhone3G phones, their browser made mine look stupid. When my wife bought her Motorola cliq it made my 9700's browser look slow and barely there. I had to use Opera Mini, just to keep up with the WebKit Browser on the android.... and then i didn't get the full effect of the browser....
    08-02-10 07:59 AM
    I use wifi everywhere because it is everywhere...even on the fly. The native browser on my 9700 is very fast on it. Faster than the mytouch 3g and cliq. If you don't like it then don't use it. Easy stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 08:00 AM
    I'm not claiming the /current/ Blackberry browser is unusable. However when i had my 8900/9700 and my sister and brother in law had their iPhone3G phones, their browser made mine look stupid. When my wife bought her Motorola cliq it made my 9700's browser look slow and barely there. I had to use Opera Mini, just to keep up with the WebKit Browser on the android.... and then i didn't get the full effect of the browser....
    I'm sorry, but you directly quoted me asking how is it Unusable, then gave a "supporting" argument, to the point,

I agree in comparison, for actual internet surfing, the BB does not compare, to the other platforms, but My displeasure was purely at calling it unusable, as really in terms of OS6 and Webkit, I could care less about the browser, if I didn't want a Larger screen/with portrait keyboard I wouldn't be following it so closely pining over the 9800
    08-02-10 08:06 AM
    I use wifi everywhere because it is everywhere...even on the fly. The native browser on my 9700 is very fast on it. Faster than the mytouch 3g and cliq. If you don't like it then don't use it. Easy stuff.

To that statement it's all based on location. My 9700 would never get those browser speeds on standard HSPA, i'm getting Wi-Fi speeds from T-mobile Towers..... my bold would of never of done that.

in today's market you need to be careful when talking speeds. Sprint and T-Mobile are changing things around. ATT and VZW will follow sooner or later.
    08-02-10 08:09 AM
    I'm sorry, but you directly quoted me asking how is it Unusable, then gave a "supporting" argument, to the point,

I agree in comparison, for actual internet surfing, the BB does not compare, to the other platforms, but My displeasure was purely at calling it unusable, as really in terms of OS6 and Webkit, I could care less about the browser, if I didn't want a Larger screen/with portrait keyboard I wouldn't be following it so closely pining over the 9800
    the person made a stated of using Dial Up (blackberry) to FIOS (other platforms).... it is un-useable for those with other platforms because RIM's browser blows.

When you go to Android and HSPA+ then back to RIM the browser is not an option.
    08-02-10 08:13 AM
    I meant what I said. IT IS UNUSABLE!. I don't carry around notebooks, netbooks, ipads, etc. Why? Because I don't have to. Why shouldn't the browser on a phone work as well as on a computer, albeit a smaller version? The blackberry browser doesn't, not even close.

I have had some version of high-speed internet in my home for, at least, 10 years. Because of this reason, if you put me in front of a computer that uses dial-up, I will tell you that this internet connection is UNUSABLE. Similar to the way I feel about the bb browser. For the last three weeks My Droid has been getting serviced for a cracked screen, so I went back to my s2. In that time I've attempted to use the internet exactly one time. Why? Because it was UNUSABLE!
    08-02-10 08:15 AM
    I want to clarify mjneid, you have a mytouch 3g right? I know your calling it a magic but this is the phone that has the browser you are so impressed by? Wow 11...if you find it unusable I have to say you don't know what you're doing. How shocking.

08-02-10 08:35 AM
    I meant what I said. IT IS UNUSABLE!. I don't carry around notebooks, netbooks, ipads, etc. Why? Because I don't have to. Why shouldn't the browser on a phone work as well as on a computer, albeit a smaller version? The blackberry browser doesn't, not even close.

I have had some version of high-speed internet in my home for, at least, 10 years. Because of this reason, if you put me in front of a computer that uses dial-up, I will tell you that this internet connection is UNUSABLE. Similar to the way I feel about the bb browser. For the last three weeks My Droid has been getting serviced for a cracked screen, so I went back to my s2. In that time I've attempted to use the internet exactly one time. Why? Because it was UNUSABLE!
    So from your elitist standpoint it is unusable to you,

I can completely understand the Internet complaint, when purchasing my house my FIRST question was highspeed availability as the area I was looking in next door neighbours could be in a situation where one has highspeed and another doesn't.
    I've used the FASTEST available highspeed connection in my home for since 2000, but seeing as I travel for work, and occasionally hotels I go to have little more than 128K, I still get my work done, am I upset at the speed, do I hate that legally they can call 128K highspeed, yes! but it isn't unusable, it is unpleasant.

I am quite confident that there is yet to be a smartphone browser as good as a desktop one, if there was, I would consider it, my browser on my PC auto translates webpages for me, auto fills forms for me, removes ad's I don't want to see, loads multiple tabs at once and auto loads the next page while viewing so I don't have to click next, I don't know of a mobile browser that compares so by your standards the android / iphone are also Unusable.

Right now this debate is purely on the fact that unusable, and undesirable are very different things.
    08-02-10 08:36 AM
    So from your elitist standpoint it is unusable to you,

I can completely understand the Internet complaint, when purchasing my house my FIRST question was highspeed availability as the area I was looking in next door neighbours could be in a situation where one has highspeed and another doesn't.
    I've used the FASTEST available highspeed connection in my home for since 2000, but seeing as I travel for work, and occasionally hotels I go to have little more than 128K, I still get my work done, am I upset at the speed, do I hate that legally they can call 128K highspeed, yes! but it isn't unusable, it is unpleasant.

I am quite confident that there is yet to be a smartphone browser as good as a desktop one, if there was, I would consider it, my browser on my PC auto translates webpages for me, auto fills forms for me, removes ad's I don't want to see, loads multiple tabs at once and auto loads the next page while viewing so I don't have to click next, I don't know of a mobile browser that compares so by your standards the android / iphone are also Unusable.

Right now this debate is purely on the fact that unusable, and undesirable are very different things.
    I see that your hung up on the word "unusable". If it will make you feel any better, I will substitute unusable for painful, agonizing, arduous, awful, caustic, difficult, dreadful, excruciating, extremely bad, tedious, trying, troublesome, or unpleasant. Pick one.
    08-02-10 08:43 AM
    I want to clarify mjneid, you have a mytouch 3g right? I know your calling it a magic but this is the phone that has the browser you are so impressed by? Wow 11...if you find it unusable I have to say you don't know what you're doing. How shocking.

i use a browser called xScope... it's on par with Apple's Safari. no questioned asked. PIN zooming, two finger zooming, Double Tap zooming, mutli tab browsing. the browser has gestures to hide the browser bar and to swap between tabs....

Androids default browser is 10 times the RIM's default browser.
    I don't use the native browser. As i didn't on my RIM device. but even the 3rd Party Android browser > 3rd party RIM browsers.
    08-02-10 08:44 AM
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree mjneid. At any rate when OS 6 comes out this will no longer be a talking point.

08-02-10 08:46 AM
    I see that your hung up on the word "unusable". If it will make you feel any better, I will substitute unusable for painful, agonizing, arduous, awful, caustic, difficult, dreadful, excruciating, extremely bad, tedious, trying, troublesome, or unpleasant. Pick one.
    That is all I ask

a simple word change would suffice, calling it "dreadfully awful" for your needs is great.
    or "mind numbingly slow" compared to Browser XXX,
    but the Trolling you are accused of all the time is largely based on your word choices and over generalized statements, often you have a point hidden within your post, you just get it across as a troll, not open to other views.
    08-02-10 08:49 AM
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree mjneid. At any rate when OS 6 comes out this will no longer be a talking point.

Oh it still will be a talking point for at least a year as people who did not do their research post release date and purchase phones not compatible with Webkit will be here complaining saying they are jumping ship because they got scammed/duped/lied to.

and the Large user base who currently have BB's but not enough money to upgrade will still complain about the browser for sometime now. I really do hope for their sake that Webkit does not kill the development of Bolt/Opera Mini
    08-02-10 08:52 AM
    That is all I ask

a simple word change would suffice, calling it "dreadfully awful" for your needs is great.
    or "mind numbingly slow" compared to Browser XXX,
    but the Trolling you are accused of all the time is largely based on your word choices and over generalized statements, often you have a point hidden within your post, you just get it across as a troll, not open to other views.
    Fair enough.
    08-02-10 08:54 AM
    Oh it still will be a talking point for at least a year as people who did not do their research post release date and purchase phones not compatible with Webkit will be here complaining saying they are jumping ship because they got scammed/duped/lied to.

and the Large user base who currently have BB's but not enough money to upgrade will still complain about the browser for sometime now. I really do hope for their sake that Webkit does not kill the development of Bolt/Opera Mini
    I don't see it killing off Bolt or Opera. Esp, since Opera has Opera Link....
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-02-10 at 08:59 AM.
    08-02-10 08:57 AM

That's fine we can disagree.. .. ..
    08-02-10 08:58 AM
    I'm still here yes there browser aint the best but it gets the job done. 6.0 is hopefuly were its at

08-02-10 09:32 AM
    I would have considered it, although the OS limitations and battery pulls also were annoying. However, now that I have a phone I can easily and quickly use for browsing I am shocked at how much I settled with my Berry.

The fiance is reaching for my Pre more and more when he wants to load a page because his Berry can't do it.

It's ridiculous.
    08-02-10 06:10 PM
    My wife is still stuck with a BB so I'm not going anywhere, these are no different than the ton of "blackberry to android/iphone back to bb" posts.

Also you are stuck in the dinosaur age with your "it does what I need it to do" the only time I ever hear this comment is when people try to stick up for the BB.

Some of us want our moneys worth when spending on mobile data plan.
    This.

I have been told I'm not allowed to post here anymore, but guess what? I have to keep my fiance and my mother's Berry's patched together until they can renew their contracts so I am staying. Doesn't mean that I won't chime in on an interesting thread.

For a board with so many posters holding themselves as better than the Apple fanbois the Blackberry kool aid runs pretty freaking deep. Apple fanbois are no different than RIM fanbois.
    08-02-10 06:13 PM
    This.

I have been told I'm not allowed to post here anymore, but guess what? I have to keep my fiance and my mother's Berry's patched together until they can renew their contracts so I am staying. Doesn't mean that I won't chime in on an interesting thread.

For a board with so many posters holding themselves as better than the Apple fanbois the Blackberry kool aid runs pretty freaking deep. Apple fanbois are no different than RIM fanbois.
    This is a Blackberry forum....

it is where the BB fanboi's should hang out.

And the browser isn't a deciding factor for many of us users.
    08-02-10 06:17 PM
    i think the BB browser is too bad , but that will not make me leave the BB platform ., i am on this platform cause of email services support
    08-02-10 06:51 PM
    I am leaving for the HTC Desire in a couple weeks. If OS6 was coming to the Tour, I would have considered staying, but that is enough to push me to Android.
    08-02-10 06:56 PM
    If the BB had a better browser I still would have switched anyway. Made no difference in my decision.
    08-02-10 07:46 PM
    Apple fanbois are no different than RIM fanbois.

Your right, it's like that with all phone manufactures. It's funny that just because you have something it's automatically better than someone elses, even if it's not.
    08-04-10 08:57 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD