Cyberspace is big. You just can't believe how mind bogglingly big it is. My first computer was a Commodore 64 and you can still find web sites dedicated to them. Why should crackberry or blackberry disappear any time soon? My 64 did not disappear when commodore failed.
    04-09-12 06:54 PM
    Cyberspace is big. You just can't believe how mind bogglingly big it is. My first computer was a Commodore 64 and you can still find web sites dedicated to them. Why should crackberry or blackberry disappear any time soon? My 64 did not disappear when commodore failed.
    Yeah, but how relevant is a Commodore 64 these days? What do you do with yours and how engaged are you in the Commodore 64 enthusiast online community?
    04-09-12 07:24 PM
    Its going to be hard if not impossible to
    restore RIM / Blackberry's image. Too many people have only memories of how BB worked and behaved yrs ago when it was the only game in town. Or all they know if the locked down version they got from work they couldn't install any apps on. Then there's the stuff RIM themselves messed up like releasing hardware with slower processors and not enough ram. They make a great device and I think now hardware wise they've pretty much caught up in that sense. Their next big hurdle Is apps. Apps and more apps. They need developers on board. Saunders and Co. Seem to be working their butts off to bring developers over, let's hope it works.

And THEN even if rim gets developers on board, they release sexy looking bb10 devices with hardware under the hood they will keep up and / or surpass what the competition has. They STILL have to market it. I love my bb phone but RIMs marketing is terrible. Awful, almost laughable, actually not almost it IS laughable. They have what could be a great phone and OS coming out this year and their PR and marketing sucks. Big time. They need to fire the entire department and hire new people. Good people. Great people. Pay them and pay them well. Hire the best. Unfourtunately RIM needs to hire them now, if not months ago. And just advertise like they never have before and spend millions on it. Get the word out on what's coming and make people remember it.
    That's what they need to do. They don't have to convince me or the people on this site (the ones who like bb anyway. )
    That will keep RIM from going away and help this site. Though I don't see crackberry going anywhere for a while no matter what happens to rim.
    I just hope rim succeeds.
    RIM's marketing is in need of help. Currently, a big European agency is doing all of their advertising for NA. The advertising agency is is well known and even legendary among the advertising industry. But it doesn't matter how storied an agency is, if they don't know the lay of the land-- because they're a whole continent away, their work likely isn't going to resonate with anybody.
    04-09-12 07:34 PM
    The 64 isn't relevant today. I'm simply pointing out that 20 years from now you will still likely find PB enthusiast sites. Hardware and people's attachment to it can last a very long time. Crackberry could last many many years if RIM were to "disappear". [Would love to run Fort Apocalypse on my PB]
    04-09-12 07:35 PM
    The 64 isn't relevant today. I'm simply pointing out that 20 years from now you will still likely find PB enthusiast sites. Hardware and people's attachment to it can last a very long time. Crackberry could last many many years if RIM were to "disappear". [Would love to run Fort Apocalypse on my PB]
    I understood your point. Your point underscores my point. What I'm saying is that with all of the equity in CrackBerry.com alone, why let it go to waste and become just a likely BlackBerry / PB enthusiast site in twenty years?
    04-09-12 07:44 PM
    I guess we'll all be over at iMore in 20 years then! See ya there!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-09-12 at 09:20 PM.
    04-09-12 09:18 PM
    Even if RIM dies people are not gonna throw their BB in the trash.
    The real fans will stay. Heck even if the number of members in 3-4 years
    drops to 300k that's still a lot of members.
    BTW: Even if BB10 fails badly at launch (which is very unlikely as I believe it will do decent-good) we are probably talking about selling the company sometime
    around early-mid 2013 so that would be a year from now.
    04-09-12 09:48 PM
    RIM is not going to disappear anytime soon. I agree with you.
    BlackBerry devices are not going to disappear. I agree with you.
    CrackBerry isn't going anywhere.

We're both saying the same thing. People love BlackBerry. People love CrackBerry. Everyone wants to see BlackBerry thrive-- I know I do. But we're not talking about what would happen if things went "down south" as we say in the US.

Just last week, two more RIM execs stepped down in protest of rumours that RIM could be up for sale; not that it was, but that it was a consideration. I applauded Kevin's tweet about starting a kickstarter project to raise funds to buy RIM if it should get that far. I even said I would put in a couple grand.

But as BlackBerry loyalists, why aren't we willing to face-down this concern? As stubborn and dedicated BB users, why can't we talk about how this would affect the things we've come to know and love?
    I see no reason to "face down" this concern, because it isn't a concern for me. You can talk about your feelings on the matter (which I guess is that CB will shut down or something) and I can talk about my feelings (which is that CB is going nowhere). Sure, the site would change from providing breaking news and leaks, but that doesn't mean it will go away. There will always be a place for CB, even if just for the community that has been built.
    04-09-12 10:19 PM
    No, you'd still have all the trolls from Android Central and iMore coming back to gloat.
    04-10-12 05:09 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD