Summary for tldr:

Will BB support the OS after devices death? for how long?

I mean, for example, like Mozilla Thunderbird. They have stopped developing it but kept giving security updates to keep the program running.

Do you think this will happen in BB? or will they kill it entirely?

================================================== =

I'm wondering. The market is actually trying to kick BB OS out. With Facebook and Whatsapp dropping their support, This only means that the market is literally kicking the BB OS out of it. at least that's how I see it, in my humble opinion.

We as users know that marketing isn't the strongest thing in BlackBerry. Although the latest response from the company is that they're "working on it" or something close to that. Which means that they're either trying to get a deal with them to get the support again or maybe they're working on making BBM more competitive or something. Whatever it is, We'll see.

But in case it didn't work, and they didn't make it in the handset business. What will do to the OS itself? How long are they going to support it?

I mean, I believe in BB and I don't think I'm gonna use another smartphone OS ever. Unless, in the future, when they make it available to create your own OS from Linux or something (I'm a little bit into this and I'm willing to wait decades if this is what it takes).

There's still in the market (in my region) some devices that haven't been used yet (and I'm talking about OS 7s), and I know these are the ones that are more secure than the newer ones for reasons I don't want to get into a debate with anyone here.

The thing is; I have these offers in front of me to buy OS 7s and OS 10s, and BlackBerry's are not cheap. It will be costly to buy a phone (regardless of OS version) that might "die" out soon.

My main question is:

How soon?

Do you think it will be at least some years ahead of us? Until the phone itself becomes wary enough to replace it with another?

I mean my options are really simple and I'm willing to do very easily;

1- I stick with BB until the end.....

2- I will easily switch to feature phones.

I'm sorry if I took so long writing this....I'm just letting off the steam I have in my chest as a worried BlackBerry user. What do you think, guys? Should I, still, buy another? I already have had two BBs now. OS 5 & another OS 7. I have no problem using another OS 7 (even if that's too archaic in some people's opinions) for the next few years.

The question is;

How many/few these years are.....

Please let's share our thoughts here. Am I the only one thinking about this?
    Last edited by HusseinMoussa; 04-07-16 at 09:54 PM. Reason: to save readers' time :)
    04-06-16 09:20 PM
    There is no future... that's what all the fuss on this forum is about...
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-07-16 12:40 AM
    it is kind of refreshing to hear someone say OS7 is fairly secure, I just turned encryption on my 9900 for the first time yesterday. I figure if I am going to use this device and squeeze every possible last drop out of it, I want it to be as secure as physically possible because the last update was maybe 3 years ago, or something like that.

I have a dark thought about Blackberry in the back of my mind, and I am probably wrong but I considered this because Blackberry is a Canadian company, and with US "Protectionism" being in full swing during the last few years......well lets just say I don't think Zuckerberg would be killing the Facebook and Whatsapp Apps for Apple, especially if Apple was on its last breath like Blackberry is right now.......it would be an affront to American jobs lost. It comes down ultimately to what the consumers want, so I am aware of this, I am not saying this is what is now happening, just a thought, and fear.

I wonder if the Canadian government would bail out or give a loan to Blackberry if worst comes to worst.

I hope Blackberry has some magical new innovative technology and they are able to recover successfully enough to offer new and exciting handsets for years.

I will sum it up like this......a friend of mine said to me recently "why are you bothering to debate people or discuss Blackberry with others in the Blackberry group, that's like debating the arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic!"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 04-07-16 at 02:06 AM.
    anon(8444762) likes this.
    04-07-16 01:00 AM
    Aren't there other thread on the same subject you can add to!!!!

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and bakron1 like this.
    04-07-16 07:24 AM
    it is kind of refreshing to hear someone say OS7 is fairly secure, I just turned encryption on my 9900 for the first time yesterday. I figure if I am going to use this device and squeeze every possible last drop out of it, I want it to be as secure as physically possible because the last update was maybe 3 years ago, or something like that.

I have a dark thought about Blackberry in the back of my mind, and I am probably wrong but I considered this because Blackberry is a Canadian company, and with US "Protectionism" being in full swing during the last few years......well lets just say I don't think Zuckerberg would be killing the Facebook and Whatsapp Apps for Apple, especially if Apple was on its last breath like Blackberry is right now.......it would be an affront to American jobs lost. It comes down ultimately to what the consumers want, so I am aware of this, I am not saying this is what is now happening, just a thought, and fear.

I wonder if the Canadian government would bail out or give a loan to Blackberry if worst comes to worst.

I hope Blackberry has some magical new innovative technology and they are able to recover successfully enough to offer new and exciting handsets for years.

I will sum it up like this......a friend of mine said to me recently "why are you bothering to debate people or discuss Blackberry with others in the Blackberry group, that's like debating the arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic!"

I've thought that the BlackBerry style of service (you know, their own private server that secures communications and emails with the devices) is secure enough. You're right about the software itself not being updated long time ago but I thought that the services do well enough. The disappearance of BIS for bb 10 devices gave me the impressions that the good ol' (a little bit more secure?) way; BIS isn't there anymore.

What made it harder for BB is that the media was never friendly with them. (specially the US media, which is, well, the most influential around the world).

But your friend is probably right. It's like a Titanic. It is time to stop debating and look for a lifeboat....

Still my question is:

Will BB support the OS? for how long?

I mean, for example, like Mozilla Thunderbird. They have stopped developing it but kept giving security updates to keep the program running.

Do you think this will happen in BB? or will they kill it entirely?
    04-07-16 09:52 PM
    Aren't there other thread on the same subject you can add to!!!!

Posted via CB10
    I understand that my topic sounds similar, but my main focus is about the OS as a software too. I edited my topic for more clarity.

Please tell me what you think.
    04-07-16 09:55 PM
    I understand that my topic sounds similar, but my main focus is about the OS as a software too. I edited my topic for more clarity.

Please tell me what you think.
    With out the hardware, there is no OS. where are they (Blackberry) going to use the BB10 OS?
    anon(8444762) and JeepBB like this.
    04-07-16 10:01 PM
    Hopefully this illustration will clear up any confusion as to the future of BB10:

If BB wants to go "software-only", What is the future of its OS?-blackberry-tombstone-658x370.jpg
    JeepBB, raves68, bakron1 and 2 others like this.
    04-07-16 11:46 PM
    To answer your question about pulling BIS altogether or how long they might keep the computers running in Ontario I would think OS will be ok for a few years, I mean....there are supposedly 12 million of us still using the older devices, we are buying apps, paying taxes, promoting the company anytime someone sees a Blackberry in our hands publically. It would be company suicide to completely pull the plug, not to mention all the new devices still running.

Since the infastructure is already up and running at Blackberry headquarters the expensive of setting up is over, and to keep the computers running now is likely cheaper and not a massive burden. So I think we are ok for some years to come IMO.

Before any Android apps were ever allowed on a Blackberry, I was hoping that Apple would have bought Blackberry, and they probably could have had them for a song (cheap) as Apple is known for aquiring many companies and incorporating the new companies technology. For example, if Apple had purchased Blackberry a few years ago, think of all that amazing BBM technology Apple would then own that could be used to improve the then BORING imessage that basically had NO features, and it wasnt even CLOSE to BBM.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 04-08-16 at 06:09 PM.
    anon(8444762) likes this.
    04-08-16 05:40 PM