Netcom shows off microSD card with integrated NFC goodness

A 8GB microSD card with built in NFC. All RIM has to do is sell a branded version and create a BB app to go with it.
    Last edited by grahamf; 06-02-11 at 01:53 AM.
    06-01-11 09:33 PM
    What is NFC?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 10:38 PM
    apparently the latest and greatest thing.
    06-02-11 01:53 AM
    Not ideal... It's going to add continual battery drain because of the NFC communication loop... That and the whole materials blocking the sensor thing is very sketchy. The actual NFC could very well work like crap (aka requires being too precise for it to actually pick up something).
    06-02-11 01:55 AM
    What is NFC?

Near Field Communication. It can be used to make your cell phone turn into a payment system and a bunch of other things. Its fairly new so you don't see a lot of it. If I right(I'm not 100% sure though) mastercard uses it for that swipe pay system.

06-02-11 04:12 AM
    ^ you can also use it to access info from items and the such (basically like a QR code or barcode without having to scan any codes, you just need to have the device nearby).
    06-02-11 04:36 AM
    The mark of the beast.

06-02-11 05:39 PM
    Not ideal... It's going to add continual battery drain because of the NFC communication loop... That and the whole materials blocking the sensor thing is very sketchy. The actual NFC could very well work like crap (aka requires being too precise for it to actually pick up something).
    I would speculate that it will be a simple matter to incorporate a toggle NFC on/off. As well as an option to automatically turn off NFC when in standby/screen-off.
    06-02-11 06:09 PM
    After actually reading the article, RIM doesn't need to do anything.

The company producing the chips just needs to release an app to the BB app world (or an app compatible with BBs), and someone with a BB just needs to download the app and purchase the special SD card.
    06-02-11 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD