Recently I was looking for a cheap but good phone for my mum, a good entry smartphone.
    And what I found was the Motorola Moto G.
    The specs were so good that I was thinking to buy one for me too, just for fun even I dislike android.
    And this phone just cost 170usd!!

So then I was thinking, how could BlackBerry compete against these cheap, good Google phones?

Of course BlackBerry could build a cheaper phone too but I think it wouldn't be so good for the brand.
    Okay, the reputation of BlackBerry lost much of value but still for example a 99bucks phone would be horrible for BlackBerry image!

So I thought the only solution would be a 2nd Sub Brand by BlackBerry.

A cheap line brand by BlackBerry for emerging markets only.

BB10 phones starting from 99usd to maybe max. 169usd

What's your opinion BlackBerry people?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:40 PM
    Sounds decent. Would still make BlackBerry look bad imo but good idea. Kinda like with car brands...

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:41 PM
    Sounds decent. Would still make BlackBerry look bad imo but good idea. Kinda like with car brands...

Posted via CB10
    Yes, like with car brands!

Nobody complain about Bentleys aren't luxurious anymore...

1/3 parts of a Bentley comes from Audi, VW..

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:43 PM
    Issue is would be a BB10 device so people will compare

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 08:14 PM
    BlackBerry already has a "sub" brand device. It is called the Q5 and the problem is it isn't priced as one. I still believe if BlackBerry had aggressively priced the Q5 in the sub $125 range it would be killing the low end Lumia and Android devices by a mile
    11-24-13 09:06 PM
    BlackBerry already has a "sub" brand device. It is called the Q5 and the problem is it isn't priced as one. I still believe if BlackBerry had aggressively priced the Q5 in the sub $125 range it would be killing the low end Lumia and Android devices by a mile
    I think in Canada even $199 would have done it. That would have allowed it to be included in all the smallest Tab plans up here from Wind and Virgin and so forth. Right now though you have to go with a mid tier plan which usually is much more expensive.
    11-24-13 10:32 PM
    Recently I was looking for a cheap but good phone for my mum, a good entry smartphone.
    And what I found was the Motorola Moto G.
    The specs were so good that I was thinking to buy one for me too, just for fun even I dislike android.
    And this phone just cost 170usd!!

So then I was thinking, how could BlackBerry compete against these cheap, good Google phones?

Of course BlackBerry could build a cheaper phone too but I think it wouldn't be so good for the brand.
    Okay, the reputation of BlackBerry lost much of value but still for example a 99bucks phone would be horrible for BlackBerry image!

So I thought the only solution would be a 2nd Sub Brand by BlackBerry.

A cheap line brand by BlackBerry for emerging markets only.

BB10 phones starting from 99usd to maybe max. 169usd

What's your opinion BlackBerry people?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry rose to its highest peak on the back of the cheap brand curve models.
    It's not a coincidence that BlackBerry are struggling to get people to switch from bbos and there is no curve alternative for BlackBerry 10.
    The q5 was priced stupidly high.
    For many people, BlackBerry is a cheap brand, hence why they won't spend out on the "premium" devices

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 01:01 AM
    Lol no one is going to think less of bb because they release their products at low prices or less than the competition. If anyone hinks that they truly are lost and dont know anything when it comes to these things.

No one thinks less of anything for doing that. People don't think less of google, android or nexus when google releases their nexus devices for less than the competition. It's actually the complete opposite. Same goes for Samsung and everything else.

All that matters is quality for smart people, and hype or what you make them believe even if not true, for dumb people.

Look at Sony, for example. Always had the highest prices and when they had the previous CEO their products sold like crap and almost died.
    11-25-13 02:38 AM
    What bb needs to do is look at what they are lacking in and improve that. Let the consumer know what they are awesome in and that now the things they were lacking in are no more and are now awesome in those things too.

One thing is obviously image. A lot of people think bb devices suck because of BS, biased corporate media. Other think they are abou to die because of the same reason.

Another thing that would work is pricing. It's common sense and basic business that if your product isn't selling but your competitions are then you beat them in pricing! And it has to be significant enough better pricing. But what does bb do? Charge the same or charge more. Wtf?!

Why would an average joe consumer get a more expensive bb phone with its bad mainstream rep and bad marketing instead of lower priced android phone with same or better specs and better mainstream rep?
    11-25-13 02:44 AM
    No and yes.
    I was talking about discount phones!
    From 4,2 to 5+" screens below 200usd!!
    But true the q5 was massively overpriced! Thanks Heins.

Example of a discount phone: http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00EYJD...bUvbUpU9606700

6"! Quad core! Made in Germany
    370usd

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:01 AM
    The problem they have is that BB10 needs a lot of RAM memory in order to work well - more than Android. This in itself puts a floor on the price, so they really cannot compete on the cheap segment at the moment (with BB10 devices at least).

I suppose BB10 needs so much memory because it has to run an almost full OS (the Android runtime) simultaneously with the native one.

The problem will be solved only when large RAM chips will become cheaper as technology advances - but at the moment this technological barrier prevents BlackBerry from competing on this segment.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for Z30, Z10, Q10, Q5
    Last edited by serbanescu; 11-25-13 at 04:01 AM.
    11-25-13 03:22 AM
    Nope the sub-brand device right now is the Z10, it is being discounted down to near BBOS Curve phone prices is some countries. There should always have been a BB10 phone at that price, just not the Z10!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:34 AM
    The problem they have is that BB10 needs a lot of RAM memory in order to work well - more than Android. This in itself puts a floor on the price, so they really cannot compete on the cheap segment at the moment (with BB10 devices at least).

I suppose the BB10 needs so much memory because it has to run an almost full OS (the Android runtime) simultaneously with the native one.

The problem will be solved only when large RAM chips will become cheaper as technology advances - but at the moment this technological barrier prevents BlackBerry from competing on this segment.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for Z30, Z10, Q10, Q5
    I believe that, if BlackBerry can ditch the Android runtime, they can cut the RAM by half.

That thing is a resource hog.

Q5 is not actually a low-end phone. It can run BlackBerry 10 games quite fine, that says something

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:48 AM
    BlackBerry already make cheap curve less than $200....

so i dont think people will still think BlackBerry phone are high end phone brand...
    11-25-13 04:42 AM
    AGAIN i was talking about discount phones!

A phone that has almost specs between z30 and Nexus5 but with a price below 200usd!

That's the reason why I was talking about a 2nd brand by BlackBerry.

Something like a nexus5 (specs/price) but under a new brand for emerging markets!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 04:51 AM
    What bb needs to do is look at what they are lacking in and improve that. Let the consumer know what they are awesome in and that now the things they were lacking in are no more and are now awesome in those things too.

One thing is obviously image. A lot of people think bb devices suck because of BS, biased corporate media. Other think they are abou to die because of the same reason.

Another thing that would work is pricing. It's common sense and basic business that if your product isn't selling but your competitions are then you beat them in pricing! And it has to be significant enough better pricing. But what does bb do? Charge the same or charge more. Wtf?!

Why would an average joe consumer get a more expensive bb phone with its bad mainstream rep and bad marketing instead of lower priced android phone with same or better specs and better mainstream rep?

Definitely image and pricing needs to be adjusted. However the reason why people don't want BlackBerry isn't bc corporate media, it's bc BlackBerry did suck compared to the competition and that the market had out grown what they're stubbornly making. Who'd want a typewriter, pager, old tapes etc.

Atm BlackBerry has still yet to catch up to its competitors. Even with the next installment of 10.2, it's still got plenty to go. They need to at least address the pricing and marketing problems asap.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 04:54 AM
    Yeah, BlackBerry 10 devices are WAY overpriced. I bought my Q10 for $698 Australian and the Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5 are way cheaper than that. Just recently I bought a brand new Bold 9700 for my dad for $150. Not bad, but imagine if the could buy a BB10 phone for that price. I think he among many others would make the switch if the price could be justified.
    11-25-13 04:54 AM
    AGAIN i was talking about discount phones!

A phone that has almost specs between z30 and Nexus5 but with a price below 200usd!

That's the reason why I was talking about a 2nd brand by BlackBerry.

Something like a nexus5 (specs/price) but under a new brand for emerging markets!!!

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but that makes no sense?
    Why limit to certain markets?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 04:55 AM
    It actually makes, even BlackBerry lost value and doesn't have the same image like 6,7.. years ago 1) we won't see a cheap BlackBerry phone 2) it wouldn't be good for the brand!
    For BlackBerry fans, these are high class phones - for iPhone/ Android just a piece of ****.

So to keep the image for those people who still think BlackBerry is a good, high class phone the discount brand should be separated from the main company/brand.

So the discount phone would have a pretty good spec sheet without 4G/LTE/NFC and a good finish but less premium case.

The goal is to win costumers in emerging markets, so they can afford a BB10 OS phone and the chance to give the app ecosystem a boost!

That's what Volkswagen do!

You can buy a VW Polo for ~15.000 usd or the same technic in a other case for less than 15k... for example Skoda or Seat compact car...
    They all use almost the same car parts but the VW is more premium than the Skoda.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:11 AM
    It actually makes, even BlackBerry lost value and doesn't have the same image like 6,7.. years ago 1) we won't see a cheap BlackBerry phone 2) it wouldn't be good for the brand!
    For BlackBerry fans, these are high class phones - for iPhone/ Android just a piece of ****.

So to keep the image for those people who still think BlackBerry is a good, high class phone the discount brand should be separated from the main company/brand.

So the discount phone would have a pretty good spec sheet without 4G/LTE/NFC and a good finish but less premium case.

The goal is to win costumers in emerging markets, so they can afford a BB10 OS phone and the chance to give the app ecosystem a boost!

That's what Volkswagen do!

You can buy a VW Polo for ~15.000 usd or the same technic in a other case for less than 15k... for example Skoda or Seat compact car...
    They all use almost the same car parts but the VW is more premium than the Skoda.

Posted via CB10
    But surely that will just alienate customers in other markets. They will be literally having to pay more so someone else can get it cheaper.
    The curve models were inferior specs but sold well. Why not keep to that strategy for BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:32 AM
    But surely that will just alienate customers in other markets. They will be literally having to pay more so someone else can get it cheaper.
    The curve models were inferior specs but sold well. Why not keep to that strategy for BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, would be a good strategy but keep in mind there are a lot of androids with awesome specs (okay maybe less stable than premiums) and people who don't have much money like in Africa, LatAmerica,... want have a 5"/6" phone with a good cpu, a solid case, good battery life without paying more than 200/300 usd so... because you can't sell next to a premium Z30/Z50 another phone under BlackBerry name with the same specs for less money I'd say it's better to create a sub brand under BlackBerry specially for emerging markets, eastern europe ...

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:48 AM
    Yes, would be a good strategy but keep in mind there are a lot of androids with awesome specs (okay maybe less stable than premiums) and people who don't have much money like in Africa, LatAmerica,... want have a 5"/6" phone with a good cpu, a solid case, good battery life without paying more than 200/300 usd so... because you can't sell next to a premium Z30/Z50 another phone under BlackBerry name with the same specs for less money I'd say it's better to create a sub brand under BlackBerry specially for emerging markets, eastern europe ...

Posted via CB10
    Again. If they were to go this route, why not make it available to all markets?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:17 AM
    Again. If they were to go this route, why not make it available to all markets?

Posted via CB10
    The discount phones wouldn't have a premium case and no 4G / LTE / NFC to keep the manufacturing cost low...
    (emerging markets don't need LTE...)

The other reason is that BlackBerry don't want built cheap phones.
    They want sell their phones for premium prices at least this is what former CEO Heins said.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:29 AM
    The discount phones wouldn't have a premium case and no 4G / LTE / NFC to keep the manufacturing cost low...
    (emerging markets don't need LTE...)

The other reason is that BlackBerry don't want built cheap phones.
    They want sell their phones for premium prices at least this is what former CEO Heins said.

Posted via CB10
    And he was an ***** for saying that. BlackBerry is not seen by the majority of users as a premium brand.
    The sooner they realise this the sooner they can really get on with fixing the issues.
    Make no mistake, it's still bbos that keeps BlackBerry hanging on, and that is made up primarily of curve users

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:39 AM
    I think in Canada even $199 would have done it. That would have allowed it to be included in all the smallest Tab plans up here from Wind and Virgin and so forth. Right now though you have to go with a mid tier plan which usually is much more expensive.
    I was about to say the same thing $199 would definitely do it anywhere really, its a great phone!
    11-25-13 07:42 AM
27 12