Hey friends,
    want to share an idea with you and maybe some Blackberry employees read it too!

There are a lot of us (including me) who are missing the old trackpad, because navigating the "circle" is not that accurate.

But there is no room for a trackpad anymore!

So, here is my idea to that:

Do you remember the old trackwheel from the 8700 (or older)?
    They should not bring exactly that back to life - but how about a sensor integrated into the volume keys?

So, when sliding up and down over the keys you could move the courser back and foward!
    Or to scroll on pages or so.
    Or to select the text.

what do you think about that idea?
    Same room on the front on the device, but easier as pointing with the finger!

Greets,

Slash

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:10 AM
    Amazing idea! But this kills any options to use a fullbody cover

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-17-13 04:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Otterbox Defenders, or various waterproof cases would render that useless. But if there's no cost to adding that, then sure, why not?
    Last edited by Czeckmate; 12-20-13 at 11:21 PM.
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-17-13 04:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thank you!
    A plastic cover on the side should work?
    There are covers with thinker plastic shields for touchscreens on the market, which work.

why shouldn't that work on the side?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 05:54 AM
    I actually think this is an amazing idea! Well thinking!

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-17-13 06:08 AM
    I actually think this is an amazing idea! Well thinking!

Posted via CB10
    Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 06:32 AM
    I, too like this idea. See what lg did with there volume control in the back ? That's where I'd put this sensor

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 06:44 AM
    This would be soooo aggravating to me. I hope they never use this idea.

Posted via Q10
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-17-13 08:01 AM
    Great...I would even bring back trackpad....if that's what BlackBerry customer wants then that's what BlackBerry should do...period.

Posted via CB10
    Willie Heyward likes this.
    12-17-13 08:15 AM
    Thank you for your replies!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 01:23 PM
    [idea] Another Trackpad!-tpmockup.png

Z10 10.2.0.1803 via CB10
    12-18-13 06:44 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPmockup.png 
Views:	562 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	231124

Z10 10.2.0.1803 via CB10
    HAHAHA!! IMO it would be kinda sad!
    Really miss how easy it was to select/highlight texts or add some words between other words.
    That blue ring works well, but even after a year of practicing it's harder to edit texts...
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-18-13 07:01 AM
    What's the point? BlackBerry 10 isn't made for track pad. It's made for full touch.
    12-18-13 08:39 AM
    What's the point? BlackBerry 10 isn't made for track pad. It's made for full touch.
    That's why he's talking about a sensor that replace the trackpad located at the side which I think is a great idea for selecting text. Just press shift and use the new "trackpad" for selecting what you want instead of those stupid circles at the touchscreen which is extremely annoying

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 and oaknut john like this.
    12-18-13 11:55 AM
    That's why he's talking about a sensor that replace the trackpad located at the side which I think is a great idea for selecting text. Just press shift and use the new "trackpad" for selecting what you want instead of those stupid circles at the touchscreen which is extremely annoying

Posted via CB10
    Thank you! That's exactly what I meant!
    Sure, the circle helps a lot to select text - but I [and I'm speaking for myself] became much slower in text editing.
    First I thought, I have to get used to the new method, but even after a year of use, I'm still a lot faster on my 9790 with text editing...

And I also know, that the trackpad won't come back - but that could be an alternative solution to that!
    No space "wasted" on the face of the phone.
    12-18-13 01:33 PM
    Why don't you just add a virtual 'optical' track pad above the keyboard (like the one on the TrackPad Editor app)? That might be more user friendly for those coming from os5 and up, not require any hardware changes, and could be a selectable option for those who don't want to use it.

Attachment 231567
    12-19-13 11:54 AM
    Why don't you just add a virtual 'optical' track pad above the keyboard (like the one on the TrackPad Editor app)? That might be more user friendly for those coming from os5 and up, not require any hardware changes, and could be a selectable option for those who don't want to use it.

Attachment 231567
    If you can't feel the trackpad then it's no good, might as well not have it. That and the confirmation click.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 12:23 PM
    On beta zone check out my post under feature requests about the virtual track pad on BB10 it's insanely easy thing to do.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 12:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Those circles are soooo annoying, I haven't gotten used 2 them yet...

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 01:12 PM
    Well, here it goes. I was one of the last people, at one point, who believed I'd never be able to use a full-touchscreen device. I resisted change, and I argued against change. With the mild neuropathy in my fingers, touchscreens seemed like a no go.

Circumstances forced change, and reluctantly, I stepped into using a full screen phone. And now, after growing accustomed to daily usage, I have no need of a physical input sensor to get my work done. I'm 100% mobile adapted.

I understand some people still default to what they are used to. That's part of the reason BB10 has had so many teething pains. But going back to 2007 isn't going to solve the problem.

As for input, I had about the same level, sometimes even more, issues with physical input switches than I've ever had with a touchscreen device.

If, and it's a huge if, they get the ship on an even keel, maybe they would have the resources to make such a device. But at this point in time, it's a redundancy they can't afford.
    12-19-13 01:15 PM
    Hey friends,
    want to share an idea with you and maybe some Blackberry employees read it too!

There are a lot of us (including me) who are missing the old trackpad, because navigating the "circle" is not that accurate.

But there is no room for a trackpad anymore!

So, here is my idea to that:

Do you remember the old trackwheel from the 8700 (or older)?
    They should not bring exactly that back to life - but how about a sensor integrated into the volume keys?

So, when sliding up and down over the keys you could move the courser back and foward!
    Or to scroll on pages or so.
    Or to select the text.

what do you think about that idea?
    Same room on the front on the device, but easier as pointing with the finger!

Greets,

Slash

Posted via CB10
    Why, I have a playstation 3 bluetooth keyboard, when swyping over the keyboard, it reacts like a mouse-sensor-pad of a laptop and the pointer moves... so technically, it is possible!! It is at least 2 years old!

I'll edit this post when I find the exact name of the keybard/pad... here a photo of it first:

[idea] Another Trackpad!-img_00001588.jpg

Attachment 231590

It is named "Sony*Wireless Keypad"

Very useful, if the technology could be integrated... you have to imagine, instead of swiping on the screen, you just move the fingers on the pad, without pressing the buttons!!

Just brainstorming... Any BlackBerry Hardware Developer reading?

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    Attached Thumbnails [idea] Another Trackpad!-img_00001589.jpg  
    12-19-13 01:43 PM
    Thank you for all your replies and thoughts!

I know that there is a virtual trackpad to download.
    But it has 2 disadvantages:

1.) it is "just" virtual. you can't feel the pad

2.) it uses space on the front of the device.
    there would be no advantage over having a "real" trackpad. Sure, it might help better than only having that circle.

But an additional sensor on the side, like a "trackwheel" would make no difference on the front and people who prefer the circle, still could use it.

That controller looks good!
    I also think the technology would allow that sensor.

But it's interesting to see, that almost half of you is happy as it is!

Thanks again for your opinion to that idea!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 03:49 PM
    Why not, from an engineering perspective assume the entire canvas (or in this case a screen) as a gigantic trackpad? Therefore instead of solving one issue, it could be expanded into few uses, such as very accute sensitivity for handwriting, or use as a remote trackpad, etc?
    12-19-13 08:30 PM
    What BlackBerry really needs to do is improve the text selection circle. My favourite out of all the platforms is IOS as it zooms ABOVE the text you're editing so that your finger/thumb isn't blocking your line of site. I wish BlackBerry would adopt this then we wouldn't be looking for trackpad alternatives at all!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 01:17 AM