I really do not want a land phone it is a waste of money. But I need a way that if someone calls directory assistance or looks in the phone book they will get my cell phone. I have a sprint everything plan if that matters. Is there a way to get my cell phone number made public
    06-08-09 02:33 PM
    I don't think you can in a regular phone book no.

Why the need for such high visibility? I find people track me down no problems most of the time through friends or whoever.
    06-08-09 03:02 PM
    Yeah, that's not going to happen since "directory assistance" and "the phone books" are products that are paid for by the landline phone company. Bear in mind that this is the same company to which you do not wish to continue paying money. Hence, you have an impasse.

You might be able to pay to get listed in some alternative phone books or as a business.
    06-08-09 07:17 PM
    Maybe just setup a answering machine and say on the message my new number is ...... Leave it for a few months so everyone gets the # or call the phone company and ask them to forward the calls to your cell and ask if maybe they have a message that can be set for it, like when you change your phone # they have them that say the number you have called has been changed to...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 07:28 PM
    Thanks maybe someday. I am an elected offical in a small town so people need to be able to look up my number.
    06-08-09 08:32 PM
    Thanks maybe someday. I am an elected offical in a small town so people need to be able to look up my number.
    The people who would want to contact you would probably use the local number for the office you serve in, eh? I bet most people would search the website for your office as well; why not put a listing on the website...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 08:53 PM
    You could get a Magic Jack computer phone, $19.95 per YEAR. If your phone is on you can answer or ignore = voicemail. If your phone is off, you get a nifty email with a Windows .wav file to listen to your msg. However, MJ numbers do NOT show up in the phone books because the phone companies pay for them and MJ is *not* a landline phone company. So, it helps but doesn't solve your entire problem.
    05-30-10 03:56 AM
    Call Sprint and see if they offer the service. I know my provider does.
    05-30-10 11:47 AM
    There are many public cell phone directories on the web. In your situation though I think that you could put it on either your public website or a referral number at your office. I will suggest that having a public number and being an official might not be such a great idea. I too live in a small town and my guess is that your cell phone number will not be much of a secret for long. lol In my town we also have a public website for the town and you could post it there as well.
    05-30-10 12:17 PM
    Having worked telco, and seeing what can happen when someone who has gone cell only has an emergency, I wouldn't do it, myself. More power to you, I hope it goes okay, but repair issues and 911 limitations are things I have seen happen.

We had a LOT of people who dropped their landline who came back pretty shortly.

An interesting article - more to do with VoIP but still, scary. It's good the laws have changed, but I would rather not rely on a cell - especially one that you have to battery pull daily *snerk*

Net Phone Zone: The 411 on 911 - PCWorld

I was in the Ice Storm in 98 - no power for 2 weeks but our landline still worked. Cell towers were damaged. I will never go without a landline. EVER.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 05-30-10 at 01:20 PM.
    05-30-10 01:14 PM
    Buy flyers, post them all over town...then, take out an ad in the newspaper..that should be enough, lol.
    05-30-10 01:38 PM