I am on the Telus network here in Canada and the only music service I get (I don't know about others) is Rdio which is a monthly subscription to unlimited music. I don't really want to pay for a music subscription. In a way I guess it might work out to be cheaper than picking individual songs.

Now, I understand many of you hate iTunes but I liked it for the iDevices. I like the fact that you can preview a song, search for songs/movies, and for all intensive purposes reasonably priced. I wish RIM had a service like this in all countries. Rogers had a similar music service called UR Music. I don't know if it still exists.
    02-23-12 09:35 AM
    Hi blackhawks fan,

If you are in Canada you can use blackberry music store. Free Music Store - Download Music Store - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

As I understand it this has been rolled out to Canada and Australia only thus far. I have been using it and find it very good. It is the same music store as on the playbook so everything syncs and if you want it also synced on your computer you can do that as well.

Combined with a BBM Music subscription I am swamped in music and loving it.

Hope this helps!
    blackhawksfan75 likes this.
    02-23-12 09:56 AM
    Thanks, I will look into that. I did try that 7digital and found it to be absolutely garbage.
    Last edited by blackhawksfan75; 02-23-12 at 10:40 AM.
    02-23-12 10:37 AM
    i use nobex radio , which is free on app world and it works amazing. you cant purchase or download songs like i think youre looking to do, but u can listen to radio stations all over the world.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-23-12 10:46 AM
    First of all why not try BBM Music, second why not just use itunes? It syncs perfectly with a Blackberry, I get all my podcasts trough itunes then sync via Desktop Manager
    02-23-12 10:54 AM
    slacker radio = awesome
    dont know about the paid service, but the free one is pretty much xm have it on all my devices. if you want to buy mp3s it wont help but its got a pretty good selection for listening.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-23-12 10:59 AM
    Thanks, I will look into that. I did try that 7digital and found it to be absolutely garbage.
    I guess I won't suggest 7digital then! lol You know you CAN use itunes right? You just need to get DRM free songs, which I think is all they sell now, and then you can use DM to load them on your BB.
    02-23-12 10:59 AM
    I have an iMac, Macbook Pro and also a previous iPhone owner so I know how to use iTunes. However, I am not always near a computer or the laptop and sometimes I like to search for music on my phone.

Also I don't have enough people on my BBM list to bother with BBM music. Plus the ones that are on there don't have the service anyways.
    02-23-12 11:05 AM
    I have an iMac, Macbook Pro and also a previous iPhone owner so I know how to use iTunes. However, I am not always near a computer or the laptop and sometimes I like to search for music on my phone.

Also I don't have enough people on my BBM list to bother with BBM music. Plus the ones that are on there don't have the service anyways.
    You don't need BBM contacts to use BBM Music, they're completely separate, I have 45 bbm contacts and 500 bbm music contacts, you do the math(50 songs from each contact)
    Just Me and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    02-23-12 11:07 AM
    You don't need BBM contacts to use BBM Music, they're completely separate, I have 45 bbm contacts and 500 bbm music contacts, you do the math(50 songs from each contact)
    Can you use it with your PlayBook?

RIM needs an all in one Content Store like Apple and Amazon both have. Apps are great, but I think Content is even more important in todays "consumer" market. Can you get Music, Movie and Books on your RIM devices... sure it can be done. But is it easy to do for most "non computer" type? If you loose you device, can you get it all of your content restored?
    02-23-12 02:37 PM
    Can you use it with your PlayBook?

RIM needs an all in one Content Store like Apple and Amazon both have. Apps are great, but I think Content is even more important in todays "consumer" market. Can you get Music, Movie and Books on your RIM devices... sure it can be done. But is it easy to do for most "non computer" type? If you loose you device, can you get it all of your content restored?
    Are these real questions or rhetorical?

I don't want books or movies on my phone, I have a Kindle ereader and a TV, I can't help you here.

BBM Music is a streaming service with the option to store the songs on a memory card, you never loose anything, you just log in from the new device.
    02-23-12 03:04 PM
    As a Flames fan, I will try to ignore the fact that you cheer for the Blackhawks despite living in Alberta. There's something deeply wrong with that, imo...

7digital is actually not bad. I haven't found any music on iTunes that I couldn't find on 7digital in the past year or so. The only drawback I've run into so far is that 7digital won't do the "complete my album" thing, but I hardly ever want complete albums anymore anyway.
    02-23-12 06:02 PM
    I guess I won't suggest 7digital then! lol You know you CAN use itunes right? You just need to get DRM free songs, which I think is all they sell now, and then you can use DM to load them on your BB.
    Yeah, I still use iTunes even though I'm a die hard BB owner / user. Before I had a smart phone I always had an ipod so I was just used to iTunes and for a while I carried both my Bold and the ipod touch but then I decided to just drop the ipod and use the bb music player but I'm just used to iTunes and it is drm free now so I just keep using it.

Ha ha please no one hurt me lol...
    02-23-12 06:17 PM
    Oh, and I meant to add, 7digital on the BB handhelds has been HUGELY improved in the past while, and they'll sync all your purchased downloads to your devices.
    02-23-12 06:36 PM
    There's also a sky.fm app in app world for your phone. The basic service is free (lower quality sound but still good).

The Music app on the playbook is great. The phone and playbook work well together

As BB users we can say we have access to music and movies.

When looking for a song using universal search on the phone is great...I'm using universal search a lot more lately...simply type anything in it
    dusdal likes this.
    02-23-12 07:11 PM
    I'm not sure why no one has mentioned the Amazon music store. The selection is very large and the prices are reasonable. But you can't buy movies on it for the BB. As for books, the Kindle app for the 9700 works fine on the 9900; I use it all the time.
    02-23-12 07:12 PM
    I'm not sure why no one has mentioned the Amazon music store. The selection is very large and the prices are reasonable. But you can't buy movies on it for the BB. As for books, the Kindle app for the 9700 works fine on the 9900; I use it all the time.
    I agree, Amazon MP3 is awesome! $5 for albums all day long and you can transfer from your phone to itunes!
    02-23-12 07:18 PM
    Yet I have found 7-Digital to contain much of the music that I enjoy. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to which type of music you do not consider garbage?
    02-23-12 09:11 PM
    I am not sure about the rest of Canada but in Alberta and you are on the Telus network with a BB data plan you don't get Amazon.

As for 7digital app from the app world, I didn't like the user interface of it. I do like the music store although I notice it is 7digital. I find that easier to navigate.
    02-24-12 12:38 AM

This is a big misconception about bbm music. Shoot me your PIN and I'll add you and you can see what the service is all about. If you like music you will very likely enjoy bbm music.
    02-24-12 01:12 AM
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize you don't need to have BBM contacts
    you just add BBM music contacts which is separate and you just share music
    not conversations.
    Thank God they had 4 months free trial or I would of never given it a chance
    I though this service sucked until I tried it out.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-24-12 07:35 AM
    I'm goiong to have to look into this 7 digital and if its good how easy it is to bring all my music over to that from iTunes.
    02-24-12 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD