I went from an iPhone to a Blackberry when my ancient 1G iPhone finally died. I eventually replaced my iPhone with a 3GS bought cheaply after the iPhone 4's release, but to my great surprise I find myself using the iPhone mainly for gaming.

Advantages of the BB: Affordable unlocked handsets, compact size, great battery life, absolutely incredible email. It's good enough for most things, fabulous at the most important things, and cheap!

Hardware keyboards are slower/ harder when you're not accustomed to them, but much, much easier and faster when you are. Hardware app shortcuts are nice. Hardware shortcuts for app launching have changed the experience of using a smartphone for me.

We use BBM groups for informal staff communication at work now, and it's become near-indispensable.

The Blackberry's disadvantages: it's an old, creaky, slow, menu-driven, un-intuitive, unstable OS with terrible third-party support. Graphic and software interface design are years behind the competition throughout the device.

RIM's product lineup is problematic� I can't believe that they don't have an entry-level OS7 device, and are still selling their palaeozoic OS5 8520 as their entry-level phone. It's an embarrassment to the company, and should be sold on clearance. And I think that the non-slider Torch devices should never have been named Torches. Terribly confusing.
    - Bold 99xx (wide)
    - Bold 96xx/97xx (standard)
    - Torch 98xx (fullscreen non-slider)
    - Torch 98xx (fullscreen slider)
    - Storm 95xx (fullscreen SurePress)
    - Curve 93xx (OS6)
    - Curve 85xx (OS5)
    - Style 96xx (flip)
    - Pearl 81xx (candybar
    - Pearl 82xx (flip)
    - Pearl 9105 (keypad)
    Really, I think it all needs to be streamlined.

But I continue to enthusiastically recommend Blackberry devices to those who want a hardware keyboard, need top-notch messaging, or who function in an area where many people are using BBM.

Once they don't want or need good third party support, that is.

Anyway, for the present, I'm a happy BB user, dreaming of upgrading my Curve 9300 to a Bold 9900!
    10-30-11 09:29 AM
    If I had to choose between an itoy or a blackberry then hands down blackberry. The amount of people returning their iphone4s is crazy plus sales are dropping hard for apple from what I hear. android phones still number one right now.
    10-30-11 09:38 AM
    The amount of people returning their iphone4s is crazy plus sales are dropping hard for apple from what I hear. android phones still number one right now.
    I'm not sure we can trust what you're "hearing." But as for Android "winning," here's an interesting admission from Google:

Google Tells Senate That iOS Dominates Mobile Search

Former FTC official and current Google employee Susan Creighton told the committee that Apple's iOS devices accounted for 2/3 of Google's mobile-search traffic.

Android is certainly leading in market share, but Android users apparently aren't doing much searching, which is the only place where Google makes its money.
    10-30-11 09:53 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry, enjoy Blackberry !!!
    10-30-11 09:57 AM

RIM's product lineup is problematic� I can't believe that they don't have an entry-level OS7 device, and are still selling their palaeozoic OS5 8520 as their entry-level phone.
    The Curve 9360 with OS7 is the entry-level device and a very good one too, I might add.
    10-30-11 09:59 AM
    If I had to choose between an itoy or a blackberry then hands down blackberry.
    The correct way to address an iPhone is "iPhone".
    10-30-11 10:08 AM
    If I had to choose between an itoy or a blackberry then hands down blackberry. The amount of people returning their iphone4s is crazy plus sales are dropping hard for apple from what I hear. android phones still number one right now.
    Sales were low last quarter because people were waiting to buy the next iPhone. That's what happens when you only have 1 phone to offer, and that's why Apple tries to shoot down rumors. Sales of 4S are quite high at the moment, 4 million sold over the launch weekend.

As for BB, we just got the choice of getting the BB 9900/9930 at work, and I think it quieted down the general fury over the crap choice of BBs we get at work. The 9900/9930 are very nice phones, and people really like them. Corporations would do RIM a lot of good if they stopped offering older phones like the 9700 or older Curves, lots of complaints about those, which leads people to clamor for iPhones at work.

I agree that BBM is fantastic, I use it often with colleagues who are aware of it (lots of my colleagues don't even know what it is, they still text me and I get mad at them )

So all this to say that the 9900/9930 are really nice phones, this should be the main offering at corporations, it would go a long way to make people forget about an iPhone for the short term.
    10-30-11 10:16 AM
    google-man, Android is a ground-breaking platform, but you're selling iOS short. Currently the iPhone is the best choice for many people, while Android phones are best for many others.

DannyAves, the 93xx phones are mid-range devices for RIM. They still advertise the 8520 as a current device on their website. At this point the 8520 should be clearly deprecated, and not classified as current.

We agree, though, that the 93xx line *should* be RIM's entry-level device.
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-30-11 10:23 AM
    Hardware keyboards are slower/ harder when you're not accustomed to them, but much, much easier and faster when you are.
    Every mobile typing test (speed and accuracy) is won on a touchscreen. All current Guinness World Records are also held on touchscreen devices for speed.

But... I'm glad you love the new phone!
    nogod likes this.
    10-30-11 10:23 AM

DannyAves, the 93xx phones are mid-range devices for RIM. They still advertise the 8520 as a current device on their website. At this point the 8520 should be clearly deprecated, and not classified as current.
    What's you point?? Apple still shows the iPhone 3G on their web site.
    10-30-11 10:47 AM
    iToy? Show some respect for the phone that change the way we use cellphones today. If you want to know what I mean, take a look at the phones released before the iPhone came out in 2007. And your comment is pure BULL.

What you hear? smh.
    Last edited by nfl46; 10-31-11 at 09:31 AM.
    10-30-11 06:44 PM
    Every mobile typing test (speed and accuracy) is won on a touchscreen. All current Guinness World Records are also held on touchscreen devices for speed.

But... I'm glad you love the new phone!
    That is after you master the "swipe" app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-11 06:54 PM
    rdkempt: To my understanding, standard qwerty-versus-qwerty tests are won by hardware keyboards. Software keyboards win when shortcut systems or nonstandard systems such as swype are allowed.

DannyAves:
    What's you point?? Apple still shows the iPhone 3G on their web site.
    You're misinformed.

Apple's iPhone webpages highlight the 4S, feature the 4, and mention the 3Gs.
    All three are iOS5 devices. The iOS4 3G is not highlighted on Apple's website, except possibly on support

Anyway� I am saying that RIM should not be highlighting a mishmash of different operating systems and interfaces as they currently do, but should rather strive for greater consistency, and logic in their portfolio.

As a fan of RIM, I'm saying that they need to improve in this regard to better compete.

I say this as someone who recommends BB's and routinely has to help people navigate their way through the tangled maze of different lines and options.
    10-30-11 08:16 PM
    Congrats on your new device. Enjoy.
    10-30-11 08:21 PM
    Thanks! I am... and I'm plotting my next one!
    postflight and mud314 like this.
    10-30-11 08:23 PM
    rdkempt: To my understanding, standard qwerty-versus-qwerty tests are won by hardware keyboards. Software keyboards win when shortcut systems or nonstandard systems such as swype are allowed.

DannyAves:

You're misinformed.

Apple's iPhone webpages highlight the 4S, feature the 4, and mention the 3Gs.
    All three are iOS5 devices. The iOS4 3G is not highlighted on Apple's website, except possibly on support

Anyway� I am saying that RIM should not be highlighting a mishmash of different operating systems and interfaces as they currently do, but should rather strive for greater consistency, and logic in their portfolio.

As a fan of RIM, I'm saying that they need to improve in this regard to better compete.

I say this as someone who recommends BB's and routinely has to help people navigate their way through the tangled maze of different lines and options.
    Isn't that what the transition they are going thru now is all about? I think so.
    10-30-11 08:41 PM
    I don't see their current transition as having anything to do with improving the logic, simplicity and consistency of their product lineup's naming and positioning; they've been improving the hardware and software features, which is a different matter entirely.
    10-30-11 09:03 PM
    So welcome to the blackberry world. Drop a pm if need help. Sorry people to tired to debate

10-30-11 09:10 PM
    google-man, Android is a ground-breaking platform, but you're selling iOS short. Currently the iPhone is the best choice for many people, while Android phones are best for many others.

We agree, though, that the 93xx line *should* be RIM's entry-level device.
    The 8520 has it's place, it's very cheap and perfect for kids that only need BBM and music.

I think they're under �100 now to buy outright with a pre pay sim that only needs �5 a month to keep BIS active.
    10-31-11 04:44 AM
    Thanks, iChat!

belfastdispatcher, that's a good point (and I think that's what RIM is thinking), but that kind of thinking will leave those same kids desperately eager to switch to an iPhone 3GS (gaming!) or comparable Android phone as soon as they have the opportunity.

RIM needs an entry-level device that doesn't reflect so poorly on them when compared to the competition...
    10-31-11 04:49 AM
    Please stop with your misinformation. People are not returning the 4S the way you describe it. You have no facts. The iPhone4S is still the best selling smartphone in history. Period. So please quit plaguing the forums with your misinformation and hatred for iPhone. I understand you like BlackBerry and that's great, so do I, but I've seen you post this in at least one other thread and it's wrong.

Also to add, getting tired of hearing the iPhone referred to as iToy. I have one game on my device. Everything else is photography related or finance related. The iPhone does much more than games and iToy is such a cop-out and immature word to make you feel inferior to iPhone users because you own a BlackBerry.
    Last edited by moiselles; 10-31-11 at 05:24 AM.
    10-31-11 04:52 AM
    Thanks, iChat!

belfastdispatcher, that's a good point (and I think that's what RIM is thinking), but that kind of thinking will leave those same kids desperately eager to switch to an iPhone 3GS (gaming!) or comparable Android phone as soon as they have the opportunity.

RIM needs an entry-level device that doesn't reflect so poorly on them when compared to the competition...
    The latest "entry level" device is the Curve 9360. The mid-end model I believe will be the 9790 and the high-end device is the torches and the bold 4

10-31-11 04:58 AM
    Please stop with your misinformation. People are not returning the 4S the way you describe it. You have no facts. The iPhone4S is still the best selling smartphone in history. Period. So please quit plaguing the forums with your misinformation and hatred for iPhone. I understand you like BlackBerry and that's great, so do I, but I've seen you post this in at least one other thread and it's wrong.

Also to add, getting tired of hearing tr iPhone referred to as iToy. I have one game on my device. Everything else is photography related or finance related. The iPhone does much more than games and iToy is such a cop-out and immature word to make you feel inferior to iPhone users because you own a BlackBerry.
    Well, no offence but the iPhone 4S is NOT the best selling smartphone in history, it's the FASTEST selling, not the BEST yet. Misinformation from you too.
    10-31-11 05:04 AM
    Well, no offence but the iPhone 4S is NOT the best selling smartphone in history, it's the FASTEST selling, not the BEST yet. Misinformation from you too.
    Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe only because it's been out less than a month. So would you like to enlighten me on the best selling smartphone?

Never mind, did my own research. Turns out the iPhone 4 is the best selling. Give the 4S a few months. It'll take top honors.
    10-31-11 05:08 AM
    Thanks, iChat!

The point is to get kids hooked on BBM and by God they are, I lent my 9700 with a prepay sim to my niece when her iphone broke and within a couple of days she had almost 40 bbm contacts. Now she wants to get rid of her iphone and she wants a blackberry, my wife is giving her her old Pearl but I doubt she'll be happy with that one for long it's pretty in pink but sloooow

She has IOS5 now and only one contact to imessage.

PS pic- getting it ready for her last night
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 10-31-11 at 05:11 AM.
    8lackberry8 likes this.
    10-31-11 05:09 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD