Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe only because it's been out less than a month. So would you like to enlighten me on the best selling smartphone?

Never mind, did my own research. Turns out the iPhone 4 is the best selling. Give the 4S a few months. It'll take top honors.
    Probably but not yet.
    10-31-11 05:14 AM
    The point is to get kids hooked on BBM and by God they are, I lent my 9700 with a prepay sim to my niece when her iphone broke and within a couple of days she had almost 40 bbm contacts. Now she wants to get rid of her iphone and she wants a blackberry, my wife is giving her her old Pearl but I doubt she'll be happy with that one for long it's pretty in pink but sloooow

She has IOS5 now and only one contact to imessage.

PS pic- getting it ready for her last night
    Yea pearl flip isn't any good. Anyway its great to see a person, especially a child moving to awesome BB world with BBM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-11 05:20 AM
    i so Agree with you .. Welcome to the community =)
    10-31-11 06:28 AM
    I am a huge BlackBerry fan but I think comments like "iToy" and "people that have iPhones or droids are just into video games and movies" are off the mark.
    BlackBerry was sleeping in their laurels until the iPhone came along and then Google changed everything with the droids.
    This competition got BlackBerry to produce what I believe is the best phone in the world to me (Bold 9930) but I have friends with android phones and they are not stupid or lazy.

I will say that my church minister is going to a mission in Africa and she traded in her device for a world phone and I'm grateful that it was a BlackBerry. I'm going to help her set it up so she can send her current location via BBM just in case. I honestly think that if your life depends on making that phone call or reaching someone BlackBerry is the only phone I would take. However, most of us are not going to a place to try to help people even though there are kidnappings and killings on a regular basis so it is not really a question of life or death.
    There are legitimate issues with competitors, such as not being able to swap batteries or graphics that just kill your phone in four hours as well as issues with our own BlackBerry phones, such as being light on apps.

If you like your device then it is the right one for you (unless your life could be hanging in the balance the for Pete's sake get a BlackBerry, take a spare battery and a solar charger for emergencies and hope it does not turn into a life or death situation).
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-31-11 at 07:49 AM.
    10-31-11 07:43 AM
    I've had every single mobile platform over the years (not counting latest windows and webos) in one way or another, and although i'm a hardcore Android user (write over at android central btw ) there's a lot to be said for the BB platform.

The Bold 9000 is still to this date the single best communicating device i've ever owned. Sure it had it's problems, but that keyboard was just to die for. If i could afford it i'd be straight out for a 9900 as a second phone

To the OP, hopefully you're going to enjoy your BB experience
    10-31-11 07:50 AM
    Yeah, we all hear that things are 'Selling like hotcakes', and while they can be filling, they become tiresome after a few, and folks find themselves longing for a really good Belgian Waffle....

Y'all have seen the charts, I'm sure, of how device users see each other. It's like crackhead, potheads, and heroin addicts arguing over who gets the best high. Just take your medicine and agree to disagree.

Last edited by BergerKing; 10-31-11 at 08:20 AM.
    ekv and dodger_moore like this.
    10-31-11 08:14 AM
    Please stop with your misinformation. People are not returning the 4S the way you describe it. You have no facts. The iPhone4S is still the best selling smartphone in history. Period. So please quit plaguing the forums with your misinformation and hatred for iPhone. I understand you like BlackBerry and that's great, so do I, but I've seen you post this in at least one other thread and it's wrong.

Also to add, getting tired of hearing the iPhone referred to as iToy. I have one game on my device. Everything else is photography related or finance related. The iPhone does much more than games and iToy is such a cop-out and immature word to make you feel inferior to iPhone users because you own a BlackBerry.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    10-31-11 09:43 AM
    Welcome and I hope that you enjoy what Blackberry offers, I have nothing bad to say about the Iphone except that I myself would never switch over and make that a main device. It is imo a fun toy cause most users I know that have Iphones love their phones for apps and gaming to keep themselves occupied, I don't hear them speak of email, productivity and things of that nature.
    10-31-11 10:08 AM
    Welcome and I hope that you enjoy what Blackberry offers, I have nothing bad to say about the Iphone except that I myself would never switch over and make that a main device. It is imo a fun toy cause most users I know that have Iphones love their phones for apps and gaming to keep themselves occupied, I don't hear them speak of email, productivity and things of that nature.
    Any device can be a "toy". I had music and solitaire on my Torch 9800. Does that mean my BlackBerry was a toy too? I still have the same email and messaging capabilities I had before. Don't see the distinction between an iPhone being more of a toy than a BlackBerry.
    10-31-11 10:21 AM
    This post is full of ignorance of the worst kind. Get out from under that rock, you might like what's out there.
    Seriously, lighten up. He said it's his opinion, and stated his reasons why. Opinions vary, which means they won't always be the same as yours. That doesn't make them wrong or ignorant. Deriding every opinion that doesn't agree with your own, however, that's ignorant.

Of course what do I know, being the epitome of everything wrong with CrackBerry, blah blah blah.

And damn proud of it.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 10-31-11 at 02:24 PM.
    10-31-11 02:22 PM
    If you like your device then it is the right one for you (unless your life could be hanging in the balance the for Pete's sake get a BlackBerry, take a spare battery and a solar charger for emergencies and hope it does not turn into a life or death situation).
    Actually, If I knew I was going somewhere where there might be real trouble, I would not take a BB: I would take a simple flip phone that has a very long battery life. You can do basic texting if needed, and the battery will last a whole lot longer than a BB, iPhone, or Android.
    10-31-11 06:31 PM
    Any device can be a "toy". I had music and solitaire on my Torch 9800. Does that mean my BlackBerry was a toy too? I still have the same email and messaging capabilities I had before. Don't see the distinction between an iPhone being more of a toy than a BlackBerry.
    Lol. If you insist on jumping on every post in the CrackBerry forum that refers to the iPhone as an iToy you're not going to have much time for general discussion

I think many people though would take the view that the iPhone is better for 'entertainment' purposes whilst the BlackBerry has a stronger heritage in 'business' or 'enterprise' roles.

People are likely to shorten / substitute 'entertainment' for 'toy' now and again, doesn't mean they're attacking your choice of phone personally.
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 10-31-11 at 07:05 PM.
    melh72 and Firehazel like this.
    10-31-11 06:55 PM
    Actually, If I knew I was going somewhere where there might be real trouble, I would not take a BB: I would take a simple flip phone that has a very long battery life. You can do basic texting if needed, and the battery will last a whole lot longer than a BB, iPhone, or Android.
    Agreed. The BB would probably require a battery pull right when you needed it. F**ckin things are doing my head in lately!
    10-31-11 06:58 PM
    Seriously, lighten up. He said it's his opinion, and stated his reasons why. Opinions vary, which means they won't always be the same as yours. That doesn't make them wrong or ignorant. Deriding every opinion that doesn't agree with your own, however, that's ignorant.

Of course what do I know, being the epitome of everything wrong with CrackBerry, blah blah blah.

And damn proud of it.

This is my favorite post of the week. Yes, the week is young but regardless...well said.

10-31-11 07:11 PM
    Lol. If you insist on jumping on every post in the CrackBerry forum that refers to the iPhone as an iToy you're not going to have much time for general discussion

I think many people though would take the view that the iPhone is better for 'entertainment' purposes whilst the BlackBerry has a stronger heritage in 'business' or 'enterprise' roles.

People are likely to shorten / substitute 'entertainment' for 'toy' now and again, doesn't mean they're attacking your choice of phone personally.
    This was the first time I've addressed the term "iToy" being wrongfully and exhaustingly used on this forum. I don't "jump on every post" where the author says the word "iToy". You're more than welcome to go through my posts if you'd like.

Yes, the iPhone is more suited for entertainment. The display is absolutely breathtaking and it's incredibly fast and fluid. But that doesn't mean a BlackBerry can't be used for entertainment purposes either. I'm sure many people here on CB use their BlackBerry for music, some games, etc.

I didn't say I was being attacked for my choice of phone. I'd hope that no one is "attacked" on here for their choice of device. I was just expressing my dislike for the term iToy which is thrown around here way too much.
    Last edited by moiselles; 10-31-11 at 08:04 PM.
    10-31-11 08:02 PM
    Please stop with your misinformation. People are not returning the 4S the way you describe it. You have no facts. The iPhone4S is still the best selling smartphone in history. Period. So please quit plaguing the forums with your misinformation and hatred for iPhone. I understand you like BlackBerry and that's great, so do I, but I've seen you post this in at least one other thread and it's wrong.

Also to add, getting tired of hearing the iPhone referred to as iToy. I have one game on my device. Everything else is photography related or finance related. The iPhone does much more than games and iToy is such a cop-out and immature word to make you feel inferior to iPhone users because you own a BlackBerry.
    Good post.

These iPhone haters are just like the Windows users that always bash the Mac. Been dealing with their kind for decades. Calling the Mac a toy even though Windows users buy the vast majority of games sold on PCs.

I'm new to this forum. I've been using a 2nd hand Motorola Q for about 3 years. Since I don't game and mainly use a phone for calls and text/email I have been giving serious thought to getting a BB 9930. Looks like a great phone with the form factor similar to my Q. I'm really just waiting for the price to come down some.

lenn
    10-31-11 09:02 PM
    I don't know why people get so offended by calling an iPhone an iToy. I use an iPhone 4 and it doesn't bother me. I basically only use it for playing games and going on the web. I don't know it its the phone or service but I definitely get a lot of dropped calls. Had one today when I was on the phone with the bank. Fortunately my phone is used mainly for entertainment and I don't make many phone calls. As for email I don't even use the email app, I just check in when I want in the browser. Blackberries seem to be built with communication/business as a main priority while iPhone seem to entertainment-centric.

I disagree with the OPs statement about reducing the number of models. RIM caters to an international market so I'm sure they have the number of models that meet the different areas. Also I would never ask for fewer options.
    10-31-11 09:12 PM
    I don't know why people get so offended by calling an iPhone an iToy. I use an iPhone 4 and it doesn't bother me.
    Whether or not you are offended, it remains an inaccurate, demeaning, childish term to use. While I'm not personally offended, I'm certainly much less likely to attempt serious conversation with anyone using it.

I don't know it its the phone or service but I definitely get a lot of dropped calls.
    I haven't experienced any difference in dropped calls between my iPhone and my 9300.

Blackberries seem to be built with communication/business as a main priority while iPhone seem to entertainment-centric.
    That's not really quite true. It would be more accurate to say that iPhones are built with flexibility in mind, while RIM deliberately scorned flexibility in favour of optimisation for messaging� a choice that they should be regretting.

I disagree with the OPs statement about reducing the number of models. RIM caters to an international market so I'm sure they have the number of models that meet the different areas. Also I would never ask for fewer options.
    That might be your personal preference, but keeping to that model is not in RIM's best interests. That much choice is clearly associated with mainstream end-user discomfort.

I can't post links yet, but if you google "The Tyranny of Choice", you'll see many references to scientific studies on the issue.

I'm not saying that RIM should go as far as Apple, but the current model lineup is too complicated, and RIM should have moved earlier to unify the software platform.
    moiselles likes this.
    10-31-11 09:46 PM
    The point is to get kids hooked on BBM and by God they are, I lent my 9700 with a prepay sim to my niece when her iphone broke and within a couple of days she had almost 40 bbm contacts. Now she wants to get rid of her iphone and she wants a blackberry, my wife is giving her her old Pearl but I doubt she'll be happy with that one for long it's pretty in pink but sloooow

She has IOS5 now and only one contact to imessage.

PS pic- getting it ready for her last night
    That's been a good strategy in the short term, but in the medium term it fails. As she gets accustomed to her device being uglier and slower than her friends' devices she'll quite possibly just switch back. I know plenty who dumped their BB as soon as they got a job.

Solution: RIM needs to sell kiddie entry gateway devices that aren't embarrassingly primitive, slow and ugly. Perhaps an updated Pearl? I dunno.
    10-31-11 09:58 PM
    That's not really quite true. It would be more accurate to say that iPhones are built with flexibility in mind, while RIM deliberately scorned flexibility in favour of optimisation for messaging� a choice that they should be regretting.
    Not really. The BB is just older technology designed for much slower and more expensive data networks. The iPhone changed peoples expectations of what a smartphone should be capable of. PalmOS, BB OS, Windows Mobile and Symbian were all designed before iOS and BB OS is the only one that hasn't been killed off yet.
    10-31-11 10:15 PM
    I don't know why people get so offended by calling an iPhone an iToy. I use an iPhone 4 and it doesn't bother me. I basically only use it for playing games and going on the web. I don't know it its the phone or service but I definitely get a lot of dropped calls. Had one today when I was on the phone with the bank. Fortunately my phone is used mainly for entertainment and I don't make many phone calls. As for email I don't even use the email app, I just check in when I want in the browser. Blackberries seem to be built with communication/business as a main priority while iPhone seem to entertainment-centric.
    I completely disagree with this. I don't have any games installed on my iPhone 4s. I do use the music player (aka iPod) but I mostly use it as a communications device (love iMessage and Exchange Active Sync). I also frequently use the built in PIM apps (love iCloud and Exchange Active Sync) and various financial and social networking apps.

I don't even use the web browser that much (also have an iPad) and I certainly wouldn't use it to access my email accounts.

My assessment is that apart from the keyboard, the iPhone is a much better communications tool than a BIS Blackberry.
    10-31-11 10:25 PM
    It's been years. The reason that BB still has the ancient PalmOS-era, developer-unfriendly framework is that RIM leadership scorned OS issues, developer issues and third party application development. The current state of BBOS is a reflection of leadership priorities over the past decade.

From BBOS5 to BBOS7 there have been tremendous improvements in usability and polish (though evolutionary and not revolutionary), because OS usability and polish are now a management priority.

I'm totally willing to pay serious attention to any analysis that says otherwise, if you care to link it...
    10-31-11 10:25 PM
    It's been years. The reason that BB still has the ancient PalmOS-era, developer-unfriendly framework is that RIM leadership scorned OS issues, developer issues and third party application development. The current state of BBOS is a reflection of leadership priorities over the past decade.

From BBOS5 to BBOS7 there have been tremendous improvements in usability and polish (though evolutionary and not revolutionary), because OS usability and polish are now a management priority.

I'm totally willing to pay serious attention to any analysis that says otherwise, if you care to link it...
    Its not easy to modernize an old OS. No one else has been able to do it so why should RIM be any different.

BB OS 7 is certainly a bit more polished but the changes are really only skin deep. The devices still expect to be connected to the RIM NOC through either BIS or BES and many apps break if this is not the case.
    10-31-11 10:32 PM
    Whether or not you are offended, it remains an inaccurate, demeaning, childish term to use. While I'm not personally offended, I'm certainly much less likely to attempt serious conversation with anyone using it.
    Seems in line with what anti-RIM people post about blackberries. Being a BB site I'm surprised by the uproar when negative things are mentioned about non-bb devices.

I haven't experienced any difference in dropped calls between my iPhone and my 9300.
    I had a 3Gs and didn't experience as many dropped calls. How I hold the phone definitely seems to be a factor. I end up using 3 fingers to hold it when I make phone calls.

iPhones for flexibility? really?
    RIM 'scorned flexibility'? I have no idea where some people come up with this stuff.
    I'm even a little thrown off by the term flexibility, never heard that when talking about cell phones.

That might be your personal preference, but keeping to that model is not in RIM's best interests. That much choice is clearly associated with mainstream end-user discomfort.
    How do you know whats in RIM's best interest? I think the people in charge of the company have a much stronger grasp on things than anyone in these forums, moderators included. Everything posted here is extremely US biased along with all the media negativity, give it a year or two. 'Mainstream end-user discomfort'? I don't think people are going to stores or online and end up feeling awful with choices. I think we have to have a little more faith in the average person.

I can't post links yet, but if you google "The Tyranny of Choice", you'll see many references to scientific studies on the issue.
    I've watched a TED lecture on that subject. The choice of cell phone isn't life or death, I don't think most people are staying awake at night trying to decide.

I'm not saying that RIM should go as far as Apple, but the current model lineup is too complicated, and RIM should have moved earlier to unify the software platform.
    I hope they keep things the same. More options the better. There's 7 billion people in the world and it would be a shame if we had less options for all the demographics. I think RIM has this in mind with their product line up. What may seem like a junk phone to us would be more than adequate to others.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-31-11 10:35 PM
    I completely disagree with this. I don't have any games installed on my iPhone 4s. I do use the music player (aka iPod) but I mostly use it as a communications device (love iMessage and Exchange Active Sync). I also frequently use the built in PIM apps (love iCloud and Exchange Active Sync) and various financial and social networking apps.

I don't even use the web browser that much (also have an iPad) and I certainly wouldn't use it to access my email accounts.

My assessment is that apart from the keyboard, the iPhone is a much better communications tool than a BIS Blackberry.
    Don't see what you completely disagree with or what you arguments against it were. I don't think the average person uses exchange active sync or even knows what it is, cause I don't. I find it hard to believe anyone actually thinks the iPhone is a better communication device. The company admitted it had problems with the antennae, told people to get a case and only fixed it on the new phone a year later. I'll repeat my opinion again which I don't know how someone could disagree. Blackberries seem to be built with communication/business (it's the whole basis for the company on which they were founded) as a main priority while iPhone seem to entertainment-centric (they came from making iPods and PCs), I really don't know how you can argue against that but I'm sure you will.
    10-31-11 10:49 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD