See I LOVED the keyboard and screen size of the 9000. The 9700 I like - A lot - but for me I actually prefer the 9000. I mean true, I didn't give the 9700 a proper shot (had it for a week), but I just loved the 9000. I decided to go the oddest way - to the 9550, and in landscape mode I find the keyboard VERY similar to the 9000 functionality.

If a 'Big and Clunky' comes out with the things that 'luvmybb' said - I'd buy it.
    02-17-10 01:32 AM
    vs

The Sumo weighs half an ounce more.

More muscle packed into a smaller form, almost equaling the mass. Almost sounds like a sumo vs a ninja... (Supermodel ninja of course)
    02-17-10 06:06 AM
    You want a bigger phone, not a new "Bold". The 9700 is perfectly suited for the name. Its the most powerful device out from RIM. How is that not in keeping with the Bold name?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 07:07 AM
    You want a bigger phone, not a new "Bold". The 9700 is perfectly suited for the name. Its the most powerful device out from RIM. How is that not in keeping with the Bold name?

The Bold should be about breaking the mould, something a bit different, IMO the 9700 is more "safe" than "bold", a few slight hardware upgrades, not much new, literally evolution in place of revolution, it's a brilliant device, and if it wasn't for my freakishly large thumbs I'd have one by now, but IMO it's not a fitting replacement for the Bold, although I understand it taking the name to avoid having too many different product lines as it'd just get confusing.

02-17-10 07:46 AM
    The Bold should be about breaking the mould, something a bit different, IMO the 9700 is more "safe" than "bold", a few slight hardware upgrades, not much new, literally evolution in place of revolution, it's a brilliant device, and if it wasn't for my freakishly large thumbs I'd have one by now, but IMO it's not a fitting replacement for the Bold, although I understand it taking the name to avoid having too many different product lines as it'd just get confusing.

Could one then not argue the 9700 is then BOLD? They are taking the previous BOLD model, upgrading the hardware, and making it a bit more slim, while keeping a professional look (making a comparison to other models of BBs). Is not the decision to CHANGE BOLDNESS, in fact, a bold decision in itself?

I believe the model/title of the 9700 is in fact fitting. I believe it is opinions that are driving this discussion, and it really comes down to some not liking the size of the 9700, and simply that alone should not disqualify it from becoming the accepted successor to the initial BOLD idea.
    02-17-10 07:59 AM
    Sorry to quote you specifically on this, you were simply the most recent to hit my email box. Not singling you out specifically, but the train of thought.
    02-17-10 08:00 AM
    As a BOLD 9700 owner (happily) and as a BOLD 9000 owner. I swap my sims constantly because I miss my 9000. In fact, I see more of these kinda threads all the time. Must be something to them eh? Don't doubt it for a minute, this fetish with the teensy weensy phone is about over....and I don't care who says what! You don't DARE name a phone MAGNUM and not have it be enormous!!
    Big n Clunky sumo's all the way...

02-17-10 06:40 PM
    I will say this: As a dual BOLD owner, I must tell you there are some similarities in the 2 BOLD models. The biggest one being, I've already returned my 9700 twice in a month. That's BOLD of RIM to sell me a defective phone in and of itself, is it not? Would it then not be prudent for one to say that this $450,00, constantly-being- warranty-swapped-9700 is henceforth a BOLD? I...think...not!
    Lotsa lawyeresque smack talkin goin on in this thread too, I noticed. All over others (myself included) wanting a larger, newer phone. Shoo. Leave us alone, go elsewhere.

I liked the guy who named it the Curve 3.

02-17-10 06:58 PM
    Thanks Mama! I considered it appropriate, since it fits my Jav silicone case perfectly.

I hear tell you�re doin� well,
    Good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm,
    And you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

02-17-10 07:01 PM
    I think the bold 2 is definitely the successor and deserves that right
    02-17-10 07:09 PM
    This discussion again?

Guys just hold your horses and wait for the Magnum.
    02-17-10 07:16 PM
    All those that have the 9700 have a GREAT phone.

I am in the category of those disappointed in RIM's marketing of these devices.

The 9700 does seem like a Curve form factor. In a year, it will be very much like the next Curve in terms of performance features and size elements.

The 9000 I assumed was the Bold form factor, and thought the next Bold would follow suit.

The Pearl has its form factor. The next Pearl will follow suit.

The Flip has it's form factor. The next flip will stay with it, I suspect.

The Storm has a defined form factor.

The Tour... I don't know what the **** it is? A mutt form factor that is a world phone?

Anyway... thank you RIM marketing! You got game!
    02-17-10 07:35 PM
    The 9700 has Tour form factor. Not Curve form factor. Either way Reed McLay's
    first post in this thread backs up the fact that it's the BOLD
    02-17-10 07:41 PM
    Facts are, RIM named it the BOLD, therefore no one needs to back up anything. We just like b*tching. Hopefully people will listen.

02-17-10 08:03 PM
    I dont care what its called, you can call it "The Meek", whatever. All I know that out of about 20 Berries (including the 8900 and 9000) that Ive owned this is the absolute best device RIM has released to date. Period.
    02-17-10 08:16 PM
    I dont care what its called, you can call it "The Meek", whatever. All I know that out of about 20 Berries (including the 8900 and 9000) that Ive owned this is the absolute best device RIM has released to date. Period.
    Completely agree, but think what at least 1mhz, 512MB, webkits, and a huge screen will be like. Now that's Bold!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

02-17-10 08:27 PM
    Lawyerwaque smacktalk.
    Soo many great phrases today.

02-17-10 09:23 PM
    Facts are, RIM named it the BOLD, therefore no one needs to back up anything. We just like b*tching. Hopefully people will listen.

End of thread ^^^^^
    02-18-10 12:36 AM
    Completely agree, but think what at least 1mhz, 512MB, webkits, and a huge screen will be like. Now that's Bold!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Yeah, that would be nice Wulf. I have both like a lot of others out there.......big hands and all. I'm over it. Definitely miss my original BOLD form factor - some days more than others. But, I'm patiently waiting for (hopefully)what is released after the Slider, Storm 3, 9700 Delta,...... Probably(again, hopefully) next year we will get the Magnum. Then again.....hope in one hand, and........
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 07-10-10 at 08:53 PM.
    07-10-10 08:47 PM
    Perfect "Bold" for me:
    • Basic 9000 size and weight (I like it)
    • 8 GB *useable* internal memory
    • Faster processor (maybe)
    • WebKit or other better browser
    • TrackpadI
    • Hybrid (touchscreen and fixed keyboard combined)
    • Better camera w/autofocus (though not a huge deal for me)

I would buy in a heartbeat if it was like this , no problem
    • BIS with OTA sync of contacts/calendar and remote security admin

07-10-10 10:15 PM
    I noticed quite more people complaining about the new bolds form factor. However, the form factor is a subjective criteria.

I personally tested the 9000 and the 9700 and had no issues with the keyboard. But I can see what people are meaning - the 9000 keyboard is just a little easier to use.
    The question is:
    If the 9000 "form factor" is the best in your opinion, would you really want RIM to keep it and produce only 9000 formed phones, yet with always improved features over and over and over, year after year again? Where is the fun in that?

Every phone company mixes things up. Different form factors are introduced for different people. Some people have small, other big hands and fingers. So the experience is purely subjective.

Naturally, as the technology improves things tend to get smaller and more compact. We could assume that devices get smaller (9000>>9700). That however doesn't neccessarelly mean that the 9000 form factor is gone forever. Just take a look at Droid EVO. It is certainly bigger than previous Droid devices.
    So imagine BB with a slightly wider screen and you will have your wider keyboard back. Never say never. RIM may someday release such a device should the screen size - thats the indicator for the keyboard IMO - become a big issue for the customers.

Of course you can question that, since RIM's approach to screens is different as you can see on the upcomming devices:
    Clamshell (Flip phone) and the 9800 (slider). Keyboard remains small...
    07-11-10 12:16 AM
    I noticed quite more people complaining about the new bolds form factor. However, the form factor is a subjective criteria.

I personally tested the 9000 and the 9700 and had no issues with the keyboard. But I can see what people are meaning - the 9000 keyboard is just a little easier to use.
    The question is:
    If the 9000 "form factor" is the best in your opinion, would you really want RIM to keep it and produce only 9000 formed phones, yet with always improved features over and over and over, year after year again? Where is the fun in that?

Every phone company mixes things up. Different form factors are introduced for different people. Some people have small, other big hands and fingers. So the experience is purely subjective.

Naturally, as the technology improves things tend to get smaller and more compact. We could assume that devices get smaller (9000>>9700). That however doesn't neccessarelly mean that the 9000 form factor is gone forever. Just take a look at Droid EVO. It is certainly bigger than previous Droid devices.
    So imagine BB with a slightly wider screen and you will have your wider keyboard back. Never say never. RIM may someday release such a device should the screen size - thats the indicator for the keyboard IMO - become a big issue for the customers.

Of course you can question that, since RIM's approach to screens is different as you can see on the upcomming devices:
    Clamshell (Flip phone) and the 9800 (slider). Keyboard remains small...
    Why would anyone expect them to drop down to one size device? There are a lot of forms in the BlackBerry arsenal, Pearls begot 910xs, Curves to 85xx, 8900 has been upgraded, the Storm has a new one coming out, this form right here in my hand started life as a Tour, so while the tooling for the externals is still there, a 9000 renewed seems an obvious direction as well. Driod will have one soon, and that will turn the market on it's ear. No longer will RIM and RIM alone have the finest UI pad. Something for everyone is part of what made BlackBerry the leader a couple short years ago. Let's pray they bring us a full specrum, and some new ideas like the Slider soon.

Posted from my �berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 06:51 AM
    Lol at the magnum name, whatever happened to that name...and or phone, lol!

07-11-10 09:12 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD