01-28-12 09:43 AM
43 12
tools
    come on. lets get to the real issue. bring back the click wheel!
    You beat me to it . I found my self scrapping my finger at my 9650 audio jack when I read this
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-18-12 12:28 AM
    I remember how awesome the 8900's trackball was compared to the 8320,8820 and the 9000. I think it was called the Atomic Trackball? It worked so well for a while and then got just as gunked up as the clear ones. No way would I trade my 9900's lit up trackpad for a ball again!
    01-18-12 01:17 AM
    My 8530's trackpad works perfectly. I have used the trackball before, but I prefer the trackpad.
    01-18-12 02:03 AM
    Just get the bold 9930... The combo of having the track pad and touch screen is as precise as you can get. I too loved the 8330 but I wouldn't go back to it now anymore.
    01-18-12 06:14 AM
    I prefer the trackpad and with the 9790 I have the combonation of trackpad and touch screen and to me, thats the best combonation out there.
    01-18-12 06:31 AM
    NO! to that awful trackball

The trackball on my old 8900 would get stuck all the time, practically making my Blackberry unusable.

Good riddance to the trackball!

I find the trackpad easier to use and just as precise as the trackball.
    01-18-12 08:55 AM
    I must say I miss the trackball too, I stopped playing Brick Breaker, It's just not the same with the trackpad.

I loved how the trackball felt on the thumb and the sound of it rolling.

I've seen a trackball used in a fully waterproof design(company went bust before they went to market though) so it would be possible to use a more robust one.

Edit

I-mate: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/097/8...web2_77627.jpg
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-19-12 at 03:40 AM.
    01-19-12 03:35 AM
    That ed up trackball on my 9000?! Nope. Not again. I'm not going through the fuss of having to clean anything on/in my phone for it to work.
    01-19-12 11:19 AM
    I must say I miss the trackball too, I stopped playing Brick Breaker, It's just not the same with the trackpad.

I-mate: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/097/8...web2_77627.jpg

I had the same frustrations with Brick Breaker until I adjusted the sensitivity settings on on the trackpad. Now it's the same as when I had a trackpad with my old Curve.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-19-12 03:16 PM
    I still have an 8330 (2 years) and have only had the original trackball that came with the phone. It would get stuck and I would clean it with alcohol etc, but for those that don't know, the track ball is much like the old mouse with the ball that we used to have with the computers. Remember having to open the bottom and the ball fell out and you had to clean the dirt and lint off the rollers on each side, well its the same with the trackball.

I got adventurous one day and took mine totally apart. Its not the complicated piece of hardware people think it is. It's a ball surrounded by four rollers which get covered with dirt and lint much like a computer mouse. Slightly pry the silver housing off on all four sides and it comes off, you see the rollers all in opposite positions, take those off one by one and clean all the dirt off, and you will begin to see the ridges that the trackball grabs, this is what gives it that drag feeling when you use it. When the trackball just slides and the cursor doesn't move its because those ridges are covered and the ball has nothing to grab to turn the roller, so you no longer feel the drag just feel like the ball is just rolling or stuck. It's just rolling against the dirt and lint and not grabbing the ridges. After all four are clean, snap the housing back on, it will fit back together perfectly, just don't pry the silver tabs out too far when taking it apart, just enough to disconnect it from the body.

Since cleaning this way it always works like new again and last longer between cleanings. I know some may not want to try this, but it does work for those that want to try it and you will see why it works when you take the trackball apart.
    01-27-12 08:04 AM
    I still have an 8330 (2 years) and have only had the original trackball that came with the phone. It would get stuck and I would clean it with alcohol etc, but for those that don't know, the track ball is much like the old mouse with the ball that we used to have with the computers. Remember having to open the bottom and the ball fell out and you had to clean the dirt and lint off the rollers on each side, well its the same with the trackball.

I got adventurous one day and took mine totally apart. Its not the complicated piece of hardware people think it is. It's a ball surrounded by four rollers which get covered with dirt and lint much like a computer mouse. Slightly pry the silver housing off on all four sides and it comes off, you see the rollers all in opposite positions, take those off one by one and clean all the dirt off, and you will begin to see the ridges that the trackball grabs, this is what gives it that drag feeling when you use it. When the trackball just slides and the cursor doesn't move its because those ridges are covered and the ball has nothing to grab to turn the roller, so you no longer feel the drag just feel like the ball is just rolling or stuck. It's just rolling against the dirt and lint and not grabbing the ridges. After all four are clean, snap the housing back on, it will fit back together perfectly, just don't pry the silver tabs out too far when taking it apart, just enough to disconnect it from the body.

Since cleaning this way it always works like new again and last longer between cleanings. I know some may not want to try this, but it does work for those that want to try it and you will see why it works when you take the trackball apart.
    It is nifty looking at the parts. How the magnets on each roller end interact with the pickups on the PCB.

For me, what I found works best, is owning two trackballs. When one got gooked, I plopped it in a filled bottle cap of isopropyl alcohol. 24 hours later I worked it in the cap, moving it each direction for a while. Then I'd let it dry, wrap it in a bit of cellophane, and keep it with me as back up. I found taking them apart, the metal clip wouldn't hold as well within a couple cleans.
    01-27-12 08:56 AM
    First thing I did with the 8830 and 8330 was pop out that ugly white ball and replace with a black one. Changed the housings too. Those were easy devices to open up and tinker with.
    01-27-12 02:24 PM
    I can certainly relate to everyone's feelings on the trackball. I didn't like the trackpad when I first used it on a 9700, and even still it doesn't feel nearly as precise when using the browser, or trying to make very fine movements. That being said, I will gladly stay with my trackpad. It's nice not having to worry about that little ball getting jammed up, and I've gotten quite used to the flush fit of the pad and the ease of use. The ball was fine, but I'll stick with the pad.
    01-27-12 02:44 PM
    To me they work the same, it's mainly the feel that is different. With the trackpad I feel like I'm still scrolling on the touchscreen, whereas with the trackball, well you felt the ball.

Though when it comes to brickbreaker, I still have yet to get the hang of using the trackpad lol. I miss the trackball when it comes to that lol.
    01-27-12 08:10 PM
    I loved my bold 9000 with the trackball... Ever since I got the torch 9800, I haven't been able to play brickbreaker with the trackpad.

Accuracy goes to the trackball.
    Reliability goes to the trackpad.

But if you know how to clean your trackball, problem solved and you get that reliability for at least 1 year.
    01-27-12 11:11 PM
    No, just no.
    01-27-12 11:48 PM
    No way I would use a track ball again. I guess when I had to pop the cap and had to clean it was a serious pain in the . The trackpad has a very precise sensor that's true ans my no work as well if your fingrs are large. But still there is nothing better then bien precise by a finger then rollinging with precision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-12 02:38 AM
    I used my friends 8330 the other day and as much as I loved my tb I am in love with the tp.
    I don't think I could ever go back to the ball. Just starting to not have the intent in my finger from the ball. Lol

Sent from my blabbering thumbs using Tapatalk
    01-28-12 09:43 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD