RIM announced this new OS coming 3rd qtr. Not next year, next qtr, but fail to announce officially what devices will run it. They obviously know, why not announce it with the OS???
    As Ive said before, because they dont know. I would bet they want to support as many older devices as possible. They did they same thing with OS 5.0, there were many devices they did initial builds on that just couldnt handle it so they were dropped. But they were trying to support those devices.

Need proof?

04-29-10 08:21 PM
    I'm no engineer but it seems odd to announce an OS coming soon and not know definitively what hardware will support it at this time. Why try to make it run on a device will struggle. People may *****, but at least they will know.
    04-29-10 08:32 PM
    I'm no engineer but it seems odd to announce an OS coming soon and not know definitively what hardware will support it at this time. Why try to make it run on a device will struggle. People may *****, but at least they will know.
    When you are working with Embedded Systems (like a mobile OS) one slight change in code and go from "it works great on this old slow device" to "there is no way anyone would use this". Especially when they are trying to jazz up the OS itself. If they come up with some super amazing concept (OS feature that slices bread) just shortly before the release they just might run into a situation where an older BB won't work. It is in all our best interests to allow RIM to work on OS 6 without knowing all the details. This way they will release with the best possible product without having to compromise due to a previous statement of required hardware specs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 08:42 AM
    The article on BBLeaks doesn't support your assertion of no confirmed touch screen devices. I am hoping the article is correct and the Storm2 will be supported.

Will Your BlackBerry Receive OS 6.0? Supported Devices Revealed! - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews
    That's not "confirmed". It is confirmed when a RIM rep or website states it. Anything else is vapor.

04-30-10 08:49 AM
    RIM is going to release it so that only 2 current devices will be able to run it. Everyone else will have to get a new blackberry LOLOLOLOLOL
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-30-10 at 09:45 AM.
    04-30-10 09:33 AM
    Here's a bit of truth that I'm gonna state because I'm tired of everybody whining. (Sorry I didn't get enough sleep so my patience is a little thinner.) RIM is a corporation and in it to make money. It is a smart business move from a corporate standpoint.
    04-30-10 09:45 AM
    Here's a bit of truth that I'm gonna state because I'm tired of everybody whining. (Sorry I didn't get enough sleep so my patience is a little thinner.) RIM is a corporation and in it to make money. It is a smart business move from a corporate standpoint.
    Oh yes it is! They will force blackberry junkies to buy new devices that will support the new software. Can't be mad at them for that LOL.
    04-30-10 10:20 AM
    Oh yes it is! They will force blackberry junkies to buy new devices that will support the new software. Can't be mad at them for that LOL.
    Or force more to move to Android as I have done.....
    04-30-10 12:28 PM
    Or force more to move to Android as I have done.....
    You moved to Android because RIM added new features to future devices? Way to stick it to RIM....in Bizarro World.
    04-30-10 12:53 PM
    I actually see what he meant. If my 8530 doesn't get OS6 and my next upgrade rolls around I'm gonna remember that...

I dealt with the 9530 disaster and patiently waited for leaks, now my phone works and you can't tell me if I'm gonna get OS6? Yeah, I'm annoyed. Oh, and I don't buy phones out of anything but upgrades so I'll be mad, not enticed to run out and buy a new 9650.
    04-30-10 01:05 PM
    I don't think RIM is doing this on purpose to screw over consumers.

I also think they didn't release compatible devices because they honestly don't know. In looking at the OS, it's safe to say that if you have a trackball...it won't be compatible.

I also think RIM needs to streamline it's R&D process a bit so that the various products and devices in the pipeline have some sorta continuity to reduce this type of thing from happening.

Look at the latest Bold they released for AT&T...the thing looks promising except...it doesn't even support OpenGL and this came out AFTER the Storm2. They can give the similar designs, but give them similar specs hardware wise.

If they're smart, they'll start giving their various lines very similar hardware, upgrading them across the board after each generation. One would think this would save costs and reduce the need to worry about "can this device support this feature/OS?". You could narrow compatibility down to an entire generation of devices thus saving the company time and money and the consumer some headaches.

RIM's problem, as stated, is that it seems to have so many products (Google and Apple only have but so many devices to worry about...and Google doesn't even make it's own phones so I can see this becoming a problem for them too as Android is found on more and more phones...it's a more difficult problem for them to contain).

So if RIM can streamline their R&D process by each generation, a lot of this would cease to occur, or be drastically reduced.

Who knows, maybe that's what they're planning on doing, it'd also make life easier for developers.
    04-30-10 01:08 PM
    You moved to Android because RIM added new features to future devices? Way to stick it to RIM....in Bizarro World.
    No, I left because I needed a phone and was about to plop down $550 to buy one a would be left with a device with no idea of the future of said device.

To me $550 is a lot of money (probably to most). Why should one buy a device and "hope"?

Brand loyalty only goes so far!
    04-30-10 01:13 PM
    RIM's problem, as stated, is that it seems to have so many products (Google and Apple only have but so many devices to worry about...and Google doesn't even make it's own phones so I can see this becoming a problem for them too as Android is found on more and more phones...it's a more difficult problem for them to contain).
    This will never be a problem with Android.

Android is open source and all hardware is supported at the kernel level. My netbook even has run Android with sound and wifi working out the box.

One OS, complete device support! Google has got this easy!
    04-30-10 01:18 PM
    The newer Curve with the trackpad should get OS 6 because it's a trackpad in theory.
    04-30-10 04:57 PM
    I don't understand what the issue is. Everyone wanted refreshed devices and a new OS. Well, RIM is doing both. The older device that people complained was not on par with the competition is being phased out and new devices are in the works. I personality and fine with my Tour and will wait patiently for the next device when I am eligible for my upgrade. I am still riding the high of OS 5. I think that this software is first rate.

05-01-10 09:58 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD